How loud is the PS3 running PS3 games?

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!
Someone just posted in my 360 thread a link from some non-site claiming the PS3 gets super loud when running PS3 games. That's the ONLY place I've seen that, and everything else I've read says you can't hear the drive, and it's almost as dead silent as the PSTwo (which was true for me, at least when playing PS2 games are at the menu).

I'm a bit worried though, does the PS3 get louder when running PS3 games? If that's real, I may just stay with my PCs by default.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Someone just posted in my 360 thread a link from some non-site claiming the PS3 gets super loud when running PS3 games. That's the ONLY place I've seen that, and everything else I've read says you can't hear the drive, and it's almost as dead silent as the PSTwo (which was true for me, at least when playing PS2 games are at the menu).

I'm a bit worried though, does the PS3 get louder when running PS3 games? If that's real, I may just stay with my PCs by default.[/quote]

I mean if they did run the test right (which I doubt) then that may be true. But I'm sure that everyone here that owns a PS3 can tell you that it is amazingly quiet.

The only distinct noises you hear is when the disc is slid in or ejected....and the beep whenever you turn on or off your system. other than that....it's as a quiet as your sex life. ;) j/k

So it's quiet when running a PS3 game at full blast from the drive?

That's great to hear. I *thought* that was the case, but just wanted to double check before I go buying one.

Thanks guys!

noisereading.jpg

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/15/wii-noisier-than-xbox-360-and-ps3-says/

Yeah, that's the link to the article that supposedly shows the PS3 is louder when running PS3 games than the 360 running 360 games.

That's what has me scared, and I'm hoping it's totally bogus.

Mine's eerily quiet... even loading PS2 and PS1 games. The only noise it makes is the startup beep and the very faint fan sound that you have to be on top of the console to hear....

A polar opposite of my 360. It's a whirlwind of noise.. but not so much as to distract from gaming...

[quote name='Wolfpup']Yeah, that's the link to the article that supposedly shows the PS3 is louder when running PS3 games than the 360 running 360 games.

That's what has me scared, and I'm hoping it's totally bogus.[/QUOTE]

Purely anecdotally speaking (I can't comment on anything but my two consoles), but the Ps3 is WAY quieter than even my Gamecube... And it's definitely more quiet than the 360. That's not to say that the 360 is overtly loud and unplayable... but it's definitely more chatty when you're using it than the PS3.

So if my consoles are any indication, the article is bogus. :lol:

[quote name='Mechafenris']Mine's eerily quiet... even loading PS2 and PS1 games. The only noise it makes is the startup beep and the very faint fan sound that you have to be on top of the console to hear....

A polar opposite of my 360. It's a whirlwind of noise.. but not so much as to distract from gaming...[/QUOTE]

Sorry to keep asking, but it's like that for PS3 games too, right?

When I had my (slightly defective) unit a month or so ago, it was nearly as quiet as my PSTwo on PS2 games, but then the 360 is much quieter on X-Box games, so I just want to be sure. (I hadn't bought any PS3 games yetsince I'm not spending $60 on 99% of games.)

[quote name='Wolfpup']Sorry to keep asking, but it's like that for PS3 games too, right?

When I had my (slightly defective) unit a month or so ago, it was nearly as quiet as my PSTwo on PS2 games, but then the 360 is much quieter on X-Box games, so I just want to be sure. (I hadn't bought any PS3 games yetsince I'm not spending $60 on 99% of games.)[/QUOTE]

Yes, the PS3 is quiet on all version of the Playstation games. I mean, you can hear it a little if you get close to it, but for the most part the indicator light and disc symbol on the screen are what I go by. As for my 360, it plays Xbox games slightly less thrashy, come to think of it. I played Atari Anthology on it one night and it sounded much more muted than a 360 game like Burnout or GoW. I haven't played too many XBox games, but there was lots of thrashing going on on the Atari Anthology on my original XBox, so I figure it's a fairly good barometer....

The lone PS1 game I played (Front Mission 3) was quiet, and the 5 or 6 PS2 games (okami, World Series of Poker, Taito Legends, among others) was as quiet as a slim PS2.

HTH... I am not a stickler for utter silence, but I do have computers I've purposely crammed in smaller, fanless cases so as to not create a wind tunnel sound ;)

:D

Yeah, it sounds like it's some kind of Microsoft propaganda. I thought as much, but wanted to double check.

Thanks guys!

The PS3 is probably (or one) of the quietest consoles I've ever owned, the uses a disc medium. My 360 is a whole different story where I can hear it from across the room. The whole reason I plan to buy all my multi-platform games for PS3 has to do with the 360 being too loud and distracting me from gaming.

I might make a few videos comparing console sounds.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Yeah, that's the link to the article that supposedly shows the PS3 is louder when running PS3 games than the 360 running 360 games.

That's what has me scared, and I'm hoping it's totally bogus.[/QUOTE]
Just read the comments for that article to see what the prevailing opinion is. The 360 is incredibly noisy (mostly the drive) and the Wii and PS3 might as well be totally silent. Seriously, I have not once noticed any noise from either one.

Agreed. I call BS on that graph and article. The most I hear out of my PS3 are occasional clicks when it's loading. And that can only be heard if the room is DEAD quiet.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Someone just posted in my 360 thread a link from some non-site claiming the PS3 gets super loud when running PS3 games. That's the ONLY place I've seen that, and everything else I've read says you can't hear the drive, and it's almost as dead silent as the PSTwo (which was true for me, at least when playing PS2 games are at the menu).

I'm a bit worried though, does the PS3 get louder when running PS3 games? If that's real, I may just stay with my PCs by default.[/QUOTE]

Bogus.

Its as quiet as a mouse.... a dead mouse.

[quote name='oasisboy']Who cares which console is the loudest!!! When you own a good surround sound system you forget about all the noise the consoles make...:roll:[/QUOTE]Some of us have neighbors in our apartments. :roll:

Also, this was posted by CheapyD, name that console, comparing the consoles sound

ps3 and the wii are pretty damn silent. This is mainly due to the Wii not needing too much cooling and the advanced cooling system in the ps3. However the 360 just uses normal rear fans which is a good reason why it is so loud.

PS3 is an excellent piece of hardware (not sure about long term reliability since it hasn't been out that long) even if there isn't much software out for it yet.

[quote name='Zoglog']

PS3 is an excellent piece of hardware (not sure about long term reliability since it hasn't been out that long) even if there isn't much software out for it yet.[/QUOTE]
It damn well better be since Sony wants $600 for it.

bread's done
Back