How much RAM do you have?

Let's see...

New Desktop Build 5200+ X2 - 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 4-4-4-12 Crucial (18 bucks after $20 rebate @ Frys ftw)
Semi-Dead Old Desktop - 3100+ Sempy - 640 Meg DDR PC3200
iMac G3 Doorstop (Yes, I actually use it as a doorstop) - 350 Mhz - 512 Meg PC100
Old Compaq Presario 1220 Laptop - 180 Mhz MediaGX - 80 Meg Ram (DamnSmallLinux actually runs quite well.)
Packard Bell 386/25SX - 25 Mhz - 4 Megs SIMM (Nothing like the good old $100/meg ram back in the day)

[quote name='n25philly']Only in windows[/quote]

Not true, 32 Bit OS's, any flavor, have the 4 GB limit.

I have only 1GB in my laptop. I'd upgrade, though 1GB seems like enough for such a small machine. Plus I don't multi-task that much.

[quote name='SuxoR']How does 2 gig work on visa 64?[/QUOTE]

A little late for the reply, but it works fine. Only Crysis begs for more RAM. But that's what dual booting XP is for. ;)

[quote name='hankmecrankme']A little late for the reply, but it works fine. Only Crysis begs for more RAM. But that's what dual booting XP is for. ;)[/QUOTE]

is it really worth booting into xp for that extra 20-50 megs?

[quote name='n25philly']is it really worth booting into xp for that extra 20-50 megs?[/QUOTE]

Well, that and some programs and games, mostly games, don't like Vista and really don't like Vista x64.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Well, that and some programs and games, mostly games, don't like Vista and really don't like Vista x64.[/QUOTE]

maybe x64, but 99% of game play perfect on the 32 bit version

[quote name='n25philly']maybe x64, but 99% of game play perfect on the 32 bit version[/QUOTE]

This is true. I've been using Vista since the beta, and I've had only a few problems that were mostly due to driver issues. I do have a few games that don't work on Vista though; one being Manhunt, unless you disable DEP.

I've had almost no problems with programs, because I keep them up to date.

I am running 4GB on Mac OSX (MacBook Pro 2.5Ghz) and when I need to I boot up win xp pro which only recognizes 3.5GB (max in win xp) everything runs fine..mostly. My music production software (running Komplete 5, Kore 2, & Logic Studio 8) though sucks it down and makes me wish I had 8 Gigs and Quad processor though.

I haven't really tried many games on it yet though but plan to get Spore.

4gb with a Q6600 and it's fine, my processor is the bottleneck. Vista 32bit (so only 3.5gb is recognized, not a big deal).

[quote name='n25philly']maybe x64, but 99% of game play perfect on the 32 bit version[/QUOTE]
Maybe new games... not older PC games that have established work arounds with XP.

[quote name='Snake2715']Maybe new games... not older PC games that have established work arounds with XP.[/QUOTE]

I know that is the regurgitated response everyone gives but it's not true. I play a lot of older games, everything runs beautifully in Vista. Only came across one that didn't, Freedom Force, but it has issues with XP sp2 as well.

[quote name='n25philly']I know that is the regurgitated response everyone gives but it's not true. I play a lot of older games, everything runs beautifully in Vista. Only came across one that didn't, Freedom Force, but it has issues with XP sp2 as well.[/QUOTE]

So am I wrong to say that mid 90's adventures dont run on Vista... I guess I can go load up a few more and come up with a list... or I can drop them on my desktop XP and get right to playing.

I am not talking 4-5 years older. I am talking 10-18 years older. It doesnt matter its just a reason I prefer to stick with what I have set up and working for this situation.

[quote name='a_bleak_tomorrow']i have like 768 mhz there is a 512 stick in there and an old 258 as well hahahah[/quote]

Awesome! That's what my computer was running until a month ago when I finally gave in and upgraded.

Currently I'm running 3gb, if I get around to upgrading to 64 bit I'll double that.

4GB installed but only 3.3GB usable under 32-bit Vista. I have yet to push my RAM to its limits so it looks as if 3.3GB is more than enough for the years to come.

2GB PC-6400, thinking of upgrading to 64-bit and getting 2 more sticks of 1GB. Not sure yet. If i can find the same ram i have now for a good price, i might.

Using just 1GB right now.

Question for you guys, my memory configuration is 2x2 slots, so 4 slots total. My PC came with 2 512Mb sticks in the first pair.

My question is, can I use 2 1GB sticks in the second pair to make the 3 total, or do all four have to matched to the same memory amount (as opposed to each pair).

4GB on my macbook pro, 2GB in my XP desktop. Haven't really felt a need to upgrade the desktop, but if I ever do, I will. RAM is nice and cheap these days.

bread's done
Back