How much RAM do you have?

[quote name='AdvOfJet']Using just 1GB right now.

Question for you guys, my memory configuration is 2x2 slots, so 4 slots total. My PC came with 2 512Mb sticks in the first pair.

My question is, can I use 2 1GB sticks in the second pair to make the 3 total, or do all four have to matched to the same memory amount (as opposed to each pair).[/QUOTE]

I am planning on doing the same thing to my pc and was wondering the answer to that myself.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']Using just 1GB right now.

Question for you guys, my memory configuration is 2x2 slots, so 4 slots total. My PC came with 2 512Mb sticks in the first pair.

My question is, can I use 2 1GB sticks in the second pair to make the 3 total, or do all four have to matched to the same memory amount (as opposed to each pair).[/QUOTE]

If the motherboard supports 4GB total (or higher), then you probably won't run into problems installing 2 pieces of 1GB to make your computer 3GB total. The most important thing is finding out what kind of memory you have (DDR, DDR2) and what speed the current pieces of memory (533MHz, 667, 800, etc.) are running at. Ideally you'll want to get the memory that runs the same speed as your 2 current pieces. Though it is not necessary, if you do buy faster memory, they'll be downclocked by the motherboard to run the same speed as the current pair.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']If the motherboard supports 4GB total (or higher), then you probably won't run into problems installing 2 pieces of 1GB to make your computer 3GB total. The most important thing is finding out what kind of memory you have (DDR, DDR2) and what speed the current pieces of memory (533MHz, 667, 800, etc.) are running at. Ideally you'll want to get the memory that runs the same speed as your 2 current pieces. Though it is not necessary, if you do buy faster memory, they'll be downclocked by the motherboard to run the same speed as the current pair.[/quote]

Yep. I'm using 2x g.skill 512mb sticks in one dual channel configuration and another 2 Samsung 256mb sticks in another dual channel.

Just upgraded to 8 gigs on my vista ultimate desktop, $41 for 4gb of high end ram was too good of deal to pass up.

[quote name='chronodev']6GB on desktop, 3GB on laptop

(Am usually working on lotsa stuff at once, I need all the RAM I can geT)[/QUOTE]

was that desktop the best buy thaksgiving one : )

still dont know to open that or send it back

[quote name='slidecage']was that desktop the best buy thaksgiving one : )

still dont know to open that or send it back[/quote]

It is a Gateway FX from Best Buy (I didn't get it in thanksgiving though so not sure if you are referring to the same one)

I think I have 512MB. I'd like to add more, but I have no idea what I need to get. It was easy back in the day with my Win ME PC. All I needed to know was I need to buy SDRAM. Now with DDR, DDR2, PC-133, PC-166 I have no clue what I should buy.

I have two gb of ram on my new laptop. I will get another 2 gb stick to make it 3 gb of ram soon enough.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I think I have 512MB. I'd like to add more, but I have no idea what I need to get. It was easy back in the day with my Win ME PC. All I needed to know was I need to buy SDRAM. Now with DDR, DDR2, PC-133, PC-166 I have no clue what I should buy.[/quote]

Go to the advisor on www.crucial.com

4gb of Ram on every computer I own.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I think I have 512MB. I'd like to add more, but I have no idea what I need to get. It was easy back in the day with my Win ME PC. All I needed to know was I need to buy SDRAM. Now with DDR, DDR2, PC-133, PC-166 I have no clue what I should buy.[/QUOTE]

RAM is actually really simple to buy.

I have 4GB 800mhz OCZ Reaper something or other.

[quote name='ivanctorres']Sorry in advance for the newb question but how does one know if they are running a 64 Bit OS?[/quote]
I know with how to do it in Vista but not XP

In Vista:
-Click Start
-Right click on "Computer" and then click "Properties"

It says it there next to System Type

[quote name='zewone']RAM is actually really simple to buy.

I have 4GB 800mhz OCZ Reaper something or other.[/quote]lol OCZ Reaper memory is performance memory that most people buy to overclcok. Hope you got a good deal on it...

[quote name='Hostile']I heard anything more than 2 GB is a waste unless you're using Vista or 64-bit XP. I have 2 GB...[/QUOTE]

You heard wrong.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Holy christ... Other than to run the FAIL that is Vista why would you need 8gbs!?[/QUOTE]

Some people actually do serious work with their computer.

At the very least, having 8 GB on a 64-bit system allows multiple 32-bit apps to have their full 2 GB of space at the same time. If you're doing any serious work in Adobe apps, for example, loading up this much RAM is not difficult.

It gets far better as more 64-bit native apps become available. There is very good reason why Adobe is making a big push to get all of their major apps out in 64-bit native versions. Their audience is very anxious for those upgrades. The early benchmarks for PhotoShop are extremely encouraging and make Vista a major win for serious users. Not so much on OS X because Apple changed their minds on how they would handle the 64-bit transition in such a way as to require Adobe to do a massive amount of work compared to the Windows versions.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I think I have 512MB. I'd like to add more, but I have no idea what I need to get. It was easy back in the day with my Win ME PC. All I needed to know was I need to buy SDRAM. Now with DDR, DDR2, PC-133, PC-166 I have no clue what I should buy.[/QUOTE]

As someone else advised, going to www.crucial.com will usually tell you what you need to know. That is, what your machine can use and don't worry about all of the other stuff out there.

That said, if your computer shipped with 512 MB, a bigger question is the value for the cost of upgrading vs. getting a new machine entirely. As memory type age and generate fewer sales, they tend to get more expensive. This means an older machine can cost more to up grade than a newer machine. So much more that the cost is as much as putting far more RAM in a new machine.

If your machine takes SDRAM this is almost certainly the case. You don't need to be interested in PC gaming. A new machine has plenty to offer beyond that and the price for a nice, non-gaming system is amazingly low these days.

I have 3GB on my Vista laptop, and it still run like shit. 1GB on my desktop, and it runs like a race car.

I actually have 1.5GB on my desktop, but .5GB doesn't work. It came with 512MB and when I added the 1GB stick, the 512MB stick stopped working. I tried switching slots and everything, nothing works. Oh well, 1GB is more than enough for XP.

bread's done
Back