Humble Bundle Thread

I REALLY thought I had picked up Jurassic Park at some point, but after checking a bunch of sites to see if I had an unredeemed key somewhere it looks like I haven't.  Might grab that and the walking Dead DLC I've been putting off.

And anyone that doesn't have the Puzzle Agent games, get them, they're bananas.

Soo I just asked Humble Bundle why they haven't updated Metrocide DRM-free to 1.03 yet, this was the response:

Hey there,

The versions of APKs that we distribute are dependent on the developers supplying us with updated versions.

In some cases games are updated with features tied to other services no longer making them DRM free and others are from older bundles that haven’t been updated in a while.

When we get updated versions from the developer is when we push them out to download pages and the app.

If you have any more questions be sure to let me know.

Thanks!

-Lorrie
Humble Bundle

http://support.humblebundle.com/
So basically, they offer them drm-free in whichever old version they got from the Devs and then don't give a damn anymore. They shouldn't promote their games to be both steam and drm-free, if the drm-free version isn't even updated or will ever be updated.

Seriously, fuck those guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
And that's one of the multiple reasons I don't mess with DRM free. Some of those developers aren't going to update Humble and every other direct download site under the sun but they will update Steam (or Google Play if it's an Android game).

Well, they can presumably demand updates to be released in a drm-free executable state as per their legally binding contract with the devs.

That being said, I'm fairly certain that we, as a customer, have no legal right to updates because software is purchased 'as is'. Though I haven't yet studied Software law, so I can't assure anything.

It's up to the devs to release their updates as downloadable files, as they did in the old days. They want you to use Steam because of "automatic updating." Don't get pissed off at Humble Bundle for not having updated versions, get pissed off at the developers if you want.

It's up to the devs to release their updates as downloadable files, as they did in the old days. They want you to use Steam because of "automatic updating." Don't get pissed off at Humble Bundle for not having updated versions, get pissed off at the developers if you want.
That being said, devs/publishers need distribution channels and companies like GoG and HumbleBundle can push devs/publishers to deliver the updates drm-free. Whether they can exert sufficient force, considering the monopolous behemoth that is Steam, is an entirely different matter.

Welp, at least Gog tries.

I love how GOG has this magical power to convince people they do things that they actually don't. Hey GOG enforces updates. Hey Galaxy is a Steam killer.

It's like the anti Steam crowd is all 'Halp we are being oppressed. GOG will save us!'

Wanting something so bad doesn't make it true.

Anyway I can kind of see the point of those developers. It's just easier to keep everything on one page, especially when the vast majority of people are at one site that also happens to require the updates so you don't have to give support for people running 20 different versions.

Plus some of these developers have sold the game on not only Humble but Groupees, Indie Gala, Desura, Indie Game stand, Gamersgate, Greenman, etc etc. Constantly updating those all becomes a headache, especially when the amount of people actually actively interested in direct updates at those places even after getting Steam keys is a minority, if a vocal one at times.

I think it's reasonable for a developer who wants to cater to the DRM free crowd to do a two pronged approach with Steam and GOG, though reality is Steam is a much larger store with a much larger user base (and you can sell games there that don't require the client to launch), but I don't see Humble as a GOG replacement/competitor. I see them as a Steam key seller that also sometimes provides direct downloads that, like other bundle sites and digital download stores, probably won't get updated long term.

I don't see GoG as the saviours of PC gaming, but from a consumer policy and de facto ownership point of view, it is rationally the better choice. That, and the fact that I don't like the data mining and closed source proprietary application that Steam requires you to use just to play your damn games.

You are right about the ease of use for developers, it's a big help for them to know how many people play their games, finish them, mod them etc. It's just that I'm not a developer, I'm a consumer, I will choose the option that benefits me the most.

I've just read a few threads and it does appear that GoG too doesn't update nearly as fast as they should. But at least they do try.

Humble doesn't care for updating them because, like you said, they offer the games drm-free as an extra. The problem is, they shouldn't promote the games as drm-free and steamlinked if they can't be bothered with keeping the drm-free versions up to date. I mean, they don't even try to ask for updates.

I'm gonna relaunch and create a Crapsule mod to manage all my clients. Crapsule, one client to rule them all.

Unless you've been banned by Playfire, then you're SOL.

I think I can still log into that damned thing fine. Because, you know, there's just so much use for it.

Though now that they switched to two rewards 10 cents for loading the game and 40 cents for letting it idle for an hour no 3rd party programs needed they really should unban our asses.

fuckers.

And that's one of the multiple reasons I don't mess with DRM free. Some of those developers aren't going to update Humble and every other direct download site under the sun but they will update Steam (or Google Play if it's an Android game).
You'll regret having this outlook when terrorists blow up the portion of Valve which holds all of our account info and we have to start completely new accounts without any of our prior games

Apparently Metrocide is no longer offered as drm-free on the humble store page. I guess that's one way of fixing the 'no update' problem.

Yeah, you're welcome.

:beer:

New Humble Weekly Bundle - Adventures! 2:

• Secret Files: Tunguska
  • Stacking
  • Syberia
  • The Novelist + Digital Extras
  • 10% off Technobabylon coupon
Beat the Average for:

• The Night of the Rabbit Premium Edition
  • Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse
  • Always Sometimes Monsters
Pay $8 or more for:

• The Raven - Legacy of a Master Thief Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Blackwell Epiphany
Humble Store Spring Sale (Day 14):

New Flash Sale (Ends at 10PM Pacific Time):

New $1 Daily Deal:

• More Daily Deals here
  • Yesterday's Deals still available here
  • See all Deals sorted by discount here

:wall:

I only need three of the games in that bundle - Broken Sword V, Raven and Blackwell Epiphany. I don't suppose anyone wants to split this with me?

Argh. GILBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERT

Good bundle for people who don't have those games. Blackwell Epiphany has already been 80% off, so I'll probably pick it up in the summer sale. The only other game I don't have is Secret Files: Tunguska.

That won't stop me from F5'ing, though. $4.05 is the lowest I've seen.

I think this is the second bundle for Broken Sword 5 while Broken Sword 4 has yet to be bundled.  That dampens my enthusiasm for the upper tiers.  That $8 tier looks nice, but Broken Sword 5 and some Night of the Rabbit extras aren't enough to carry the BTA tier.  The base tier is just Secret Files and some Novelist artwork, which isn't quite enough either.

I guess I'll hope that Secret Files showing up here means we can see it and other Secret Files games in a better bundle soon.

I wouldn't pick up The Raven again if they paid me $8 (ok, I'm a liar). It's a horrible game, and was incredibly buggy on XBLA.

tQTjCIK.jpg

The BTA's at 3.88.

I really hate the third tier pricing. -_-
$3.87 now. ;)

I feel some of these games will come out in a better BundleStars bundle maybe....

Only really want Broken Sword 5. Rabbit looks alright but eh.....I don't know. The $8 tier doesn't matter....haha. yeah sounds like a pass.

It looks like Steam keys were added for everything but Deadly Puzzles, which isn't on Steam.
As of now they've only sold 7191 bundles in a week ($43000).

They probably did this so they would get more sales. Hell if they'd added Steam keys from the start, they would have at least three times as many sales already...

I can't remember which ones I own and which ones I don't (oh shut up, like it never happens to you) and Steam is being a real PITA right now.

As of now they've only sold 7191 bundles in a week ($43000).

They probably did this so they would get more sales. Hell if they'd added Steam keys from the start, they would have at least three times as many sales already...
While that's true, Humble has been pretty consistent on the mobile bundles being Android-only, even if games in them are on other platforms. This is something new for them.

I'm missing most of the dollar tier/BTA tier but have the high tier. Guess it's my time to by some HoGs. My type of bundle with a bunch of HoGs....I hate it when they're only 1 or 2 in a bundle.

Grim Legends - Link

Time Mysteries 2 - Link

I am missing those three, but also Time Mysteries 3. I skipped that IG Monday.
So Steam finally decided to cooperate and I guess I am missing the same plus the Demon Hunter one. Paying $5 more for two more games is a pretty crap deal when I can get two (well three but I'm not counting the Android only one though that might show up on Steam someday). OTOH those last two plus the three in the bottom tier are all I need to complete my Artifex Mundi collection on Steam. Ugh.

I was almost thinking to maybe Tremor them but these keys were a late not well announced (?) addition so I don't know if they will bother stocking them.

Does the Mobile Bundle also have Happy Hour?  

I'd like to buy one bundle for me and one for a friend - am I better off purchasing now or waiting until Happy Hour?  

Can someone remind me how that works?  (I never can remember)...

Does the Mobile Bundle also have Happy Hour?

I'd like to buy one bundle for me and one for a friend - am I better off purchasing now or waiting until Happy Hour?

Can someone remind me how that works? (I never can remember)...
Happy Hour is an Indiegala thing, not a Humble Bundle thing.

bread's done
Back