Humble Bundle Thread

So this is only borderline relevant, but fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck MSF (Doctors Without Borders). Never donating to them via Humble again.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/doctors-borders-refused-american-isis-hostage-kayla-mueller/story?id=41601887
W-wow. Unbelievable. I've been donating to them for over a year through Amazon Smile. What a mistake. Changed my charity immediately after reading that.

Really makes me wish vigilante justice was still a thing in this country. Honestly, how hard could it be for some lightly armed vigilantes to sneak into the houses of the board of directors and put them down like rabid dogs?

So this is only borderline relevant, but fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck MSF (Doctors Without Borders). Never donating to them via Humble again.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/doctors-borders-refused-american-isis-hostage-kayla-mueller/story?id=41601887
Actually, given how lawsuit-happy Americans are, it makes a lot of sense. She wasn't working for them, she never worked for them, she just happened to be in one of their vehicles when she was taken. If they try and fail, they open themselves up to lawsuits from the parents on the grounds that "your actions caused them to execute her". Especially since the attempt would have required them to lie and claim that she was working with them. Instead, all they did was tell the truth - she's not associated with us. Lying might have helped her, sure, but if they had other information saying that it wasn't true, it would have confirmed their suspicions that she was a spy and gotten her killed on the spot.

Yep.  Keep in mind the doctors that volunteer/work for the organization are great.  But almost every charity organization out there is run by a bunch of corporate d-bags whose salaries are paid by your donations~

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, given how lawsuit-happy Americans are, it makes a lot of sense. She wasn't working for them, she never worked for them, she just happened to be in one of their vehicles when she was taken. If they try and fail, they open themselves up to lawsuits from the parents on the grounds that "your actions caused them to execute her". Especially since the attempt would have required them to lie and claim that she was working with them. Instead, all they did was tell the truth - she's not associated with us. Lying might have helped her, sure, but if they had other information saying that it wasn't true, it would have confirmed their suspicions that she was a spy and gotten her killed on the spot.
I'm pretty sure the parents would have signed a way their right to sue in exchange for them not hanging out their daughter to dry. I mean, you don't think failing to divulge an email the terrorists wanted them to pass on to her parents will open them to a lawsuit just the same? Their reasoning makes no sense. Paying ransom for her would do nothing to encourage future kidnappings because they were already paying ransom for their own employees. You either take a hardline stance on the issue or you negotiate. Once you negotiate, you open yourself up to that liability in the future.

Whenever something goes wrong, the second guessing starts. People make what they think are the best decisions at that time. We don't know if making different ones would have changed the outcome, but people look to assign blame. I don't know if they made the right decision, but I'm sure it wasn't an easy one.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk

Really makes me wish vigilante justice was still a thing in this country. Honestly, how hard could it be for some lightly armed vigilantes to sneak into the houses of the board of directors and put them down like rabid dogs?
If you're going to do that, maybe you could go rescue ISIS hostages instead?

I would totally take a trump coin
It's the best coin there is. It's greater than every other coin, believe me! The coin sparkles and shines like you wouldn't believe! There is no greater coin than the Trump coin! Other coins are jealous of how great this coin is! This coin is big league! It's so great it's going to make coins great again!!!!!!

I'll give you a shitty Blade Xena coin, that's the best I can do.

YIw9Ud2.gif

and here is the other side of the story

As an organization that works in conflict zones and has had several of our colleagues and friends killed while trying to provide emergency assistance, we know this all too well. In this instance, the Muellers asked MSF to actively intervene to help achieve Kayla’s release and we did not do so. There are several reasons for this:

The risks go beyond any one location. If MSF were generally considered by would-be abductors to be a negotiator of release for non-MSF staff, there is no doubt that this would increase the risk levels in many locations, put our field staff, medical projects, and patients in danger, and possibly force us to close projects where needs are often acute. It would limit MSF’s ability to provide life-saving care to people caught in dangerous conflicts.

Furthermore, MSF is an emergency medical organization. We are not hostage negotiators. If staff members get abducted, we deputize senior MSF staff members to concentrate fully on working towards their release. This comes with significant concerns for the people involved; some of the people who worked to secure the release of the MSF staff members in Syria put themselves at great risk in so doing.
http://abcnews.go.com/International/doctors-borders-statement-abc-news-2020-kayla-mueller/story?id=41632572

Holy crap, I hope nobody bought those Sierra games on Steam yesterday.

Edit: Jeezus, the BTA spiked HARD almost immediately, it's not going back again. D:

Seeing this bundle, I had hoped Arcanum would have been in the $1 tier. Because it's in a BTA, buying it from a split would be too expensive.

$1 in for now, because I'm not familiar enough with the games in the mid tier to drop nearly $9 on them, but I want to lock it in.

I just penny'd in at $6.64. Doubt I'll BTA as I have that tier on GOG except Timeshift. $1 is solid, though - Space Quest collection is a ton of value. Phantasmagoria 1 is a decent B-movie horror game. The sequel kind of sucks. Police Quest games are fun but probably not everyone's cup of tea.

Quest for Glory series is one of a kind. I haven't played/finished all those games but they're quite unique as adventure/RPG hybrids.

The Gabriel Knight games are my absolute favorite games of all time. Amazing storytelling infused with deep history and lore. Each game is a really unique experience. First one is 2D VGA, 2nd is FMV, 3rd is 3D.

Same, they probably broke something somewhere.
I think the Hamble rep was actually a spy sent to infiltrate CAG and undermine our efforts to pay as little as possible for the bundles. :p

Though, refreshing tabs was working for the first 4 minutes or so the bundle was live.

edit - it's fixed now.

In @ $20, too many fond sierra memories to not snag immediately.  even already own the kings quest collection, but for an extra $5 i'll give it to my niece

every key is a seperate steam key btw, PQ collection and KQ collection and QFG 1-5 are each 1 key but the gabriel knights are each one key ans the KQ remaster is 1 key

I usually slide the charity part to 100% but this time I did 50/50 with sierra and charity, since I pirated so many of these sierra games as a kid :(

10 cards in the bundle, 5x each between shiftlings and velocity 2x

Kinda tempted to $20 it.
At this point, that might be the smart move. I'm looking at a BTA of $8.72! I bought the QFG games on sale at GOG about a week ago, which dramatically decreases the value of the BTA tier for me. I don't see myself replaying the GK games or Arcanum. I wonder how many other people own a bunch of this stuff on GOG already (ahem, toaster). I also imagine this answers why Arcanum suddenly popped up on Steam and fried MysterD's circuits.

I have Arcanum on my GOG account, King's Quest, Police Quest (not SWAT) and Space Quest in their Collection Series retail packs, the GK games retail, and Phantasmagoria 1 retail.

The BTA tier is cheap (got a $6 tier), but I really don't want these games on Steam. I prefer them on GOG (because at least they try really hard to get the games to work on modern OSes.) These games are ridiculously overpriced as it is, and Actiblizzard refuses to add regional prices on their games on GOG...

So eh. Pass. If they gave us a choice of GOG or Steam keys then I'd definitely pay the $20 tier. But it isn't worth dealing with Steam.

Very little interest on Sierra games but guess I'll BTA at $5.63 considering how high the current BTA spiked in price. 

Timeshift is interesting and I want Caesar 3-4 and the new King's Quest but not at the high tier price. 

Even with owning all the quest games on GOG, the upper tiers are tempting.  I'll probably stick with the $1 tier, though, and wait for the next Humble Sierra bundle to get some of those upper tier games when they are in the $1 tier.

Just a heads up: If you have King's Quest episode 1 (since it was free) and have your Humble account linked to your Steam account, you might have to unlink them to redeem your key. Otherwise it thinks you already have the game and only gives the option to gift.

Meh, forgot to check in on time and the BTA's already almost $10... Even with fond Sierra memories, I doubt I'll ever play them ever again, and even if I do, will rather have them on GOG... Also already own the new King's quest from the newegg glitch a year or 2 ago..  so I guess I'll pass.

Thank you all you silly early $20 tier-buyers (pss.. you should always just lock in at $1 and top-up later so you don't jack up the price for everyone else! more so when it's Activision cashing in instead of the original devs!)

I would totally go for the $20 tier if there was the possibility of these games showing up on GOG Connect in the near future.
I totally went for the $20 tier because there's a possibility of these games showing up on GOG Connect in the near future.

Also because fuck yeah Sierra! Give us a Humble Infocom bundle next pls thx activision.

My main memory of Police Quest was making a right hand turn on red and losing the game for a "traffic violation" and being all sorts of pissed off about it.

This bundle should come with a trigger warning.

You know, seeing this bundle brings me back to the old days when I owned an Apple IIgs. I have fond memories of playing games like Police Quest, Tass Times in Tonetown, and Leisure Suit Larry on that machine, but really it was kind of a pile of trash. I think my experience with that computer might explain why it took me nearly 30 years to get back into PC gaming.

Hopefully playing the games in this bundle will help me incinerate what little remains of my child self.

bread's done
Back