Humble Bundle Thread

<snip>
tumblr_mkp6zif1Hr1rhly2xo1_500.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Because it has to cost them something to have those games made and I see it as zero value added. I am sure others will disagree with me.
No, I agree. That money is being wasted on drm-free mini-games that very few people are interested in. I have nothing against the devs making the games, I mean they're getting paid and all.. but in the end that money could be put to better use.

It's a little weird that they're doing this after they made an official statement about having to cut their staff recently.
Not to mention how expensive getting this month together must have been, specifically ARK.

The money for the mini-game might have been put to better use for next month's bundle which is 6 games seemingly compared to 8.
There are no sliders to deal with in the monthly, so humble can flat out tell a game dev what sort of payout they could expect. Using their 70k subscriber base number that floated around earlier (which probably has risen since), and even taking into account the 10% discount coupons, they're looking at three quarters of a million coming in. Even if you assume humble takes out the industry standard 30% cut, there's half a million bucks being spread out among 6 games. Those are pretty nice slices of humble pie, and should easily leave enough crumbs over to sprinkle around to other devs to include their cute little bonuses. Hell, they probably don't even need to pay the bonus games much anyway, as most indie devs are desperate enough just to be noticed.

edit: apologies if my math is off, i'm no rocket appliance.

There are no sliders to deal with in the monthly, so humble can flat out tell a game dev what sort of payout they could expect. Using their 70k subscriber base number that floated around earlier (which probably has risen since), and even taking into account the 10% discount coupons, they're looking at three quarters of a million coming in. Even if you assume humble takes out the industry standard 30% cut, there's half a million bucks being spread out among 6 games. Those are pretty nice slices of humble pie, and should easily leave enough crumbs over to sprinkle around to other devs to include their cute little bonuses. Hell, they probably don't even need to pay the bonus games much anyway, as most indie devs are desperate enough just to be noticed.

get outta here u humble apologist!

I actually wonder how the monthly works out for a game like Ark. Anyone that wanted the game probably has it because of the monthly. Either via buying the monthly or buying a key somewhere for

I agree with you on the majority of this, but this is exactly my point. It's very likely Humble took a smaller cut in order to squeeze more games into the monthly, given that because there's no sliders, there's flexibility in regards to who gets how much money (aside from the token 10% to charity), not to mention however the coupons factor in (I would guess it comes out of Humble's cut?). Crumbs or not, it's still money Humble's not pocketing, when they supposedly need it. I would be very surprised if the Sentinels dev gets the same % as the ARK dev.

R6Fyx9D.gif

I would have posted a picture of Bobby but he'd report it and get it taken down again.

I see how it is, it's okay to post Tebow and Tebow's mom's pictures but not Bobby.
Maybe the mods just like me better. Or maybe I'm not the one who reported you. ;)

I actually wonder how the monthly works out for a game like Ark. Anyone that wanted the game probably has it because of the monthly. Either via buying the monthly or buying a key somewhere for <$10. My impression was the game sold like hotcakes on steam when they had it for $18 but I kinda doubt it will now. That said I think they are more concentrated on milking the console market at the moment so maybe it doesn't matter.
Law of diminishing returns.

Before the monthly, they had huge amounts of sales. The game sold like gangbusters and anyone that was interested enough in it likely bought it, espc since its been on sale at a minimal discount a bunch of times too. The monthly allowed more/casual interest to get in on it. They've likely maximized the Steam sales besides the ones who will only buy things when they are at least 50% off and probably got a cush offer from HB to be the featured game. They likely got a large enough sum where it helps them immediately whereas waiting for more Steam sales wasn't generating the revenue it was at first.

For me, I wanted it, but I typically am not into the type of game it is. I was in the 50% or better boat, but got it w/ the monthly. At first I bought a key of it back when Ark was revealed as the entry game, but I made that money back when I decided to buy the monthly after getting the 10% coupon for the bundle. All worked well nicely considering the quality the monthly turned out to be.

I actually wonder how the monthly works out for a game like Ark. Anyone that wanted the game probably has it because of the monthly. Either via buying the monthly or buying a key somewhere for <$10. My impression was the game sold like hotcakes on steam when they had it for $18 but I kinda doubt it will now. That said I think they are more concentrated on milking the console market at the moment so maybe it doesn't matter.
They're making the move to consoles at the moment, where the money for them should be significantly better, correct. But they never even experimented with a higher than 40% off* sale, so they left a ton of money on the table. Not to mention the planned price increase when the game comes out of EA sometime this year.

Which is all the more reason I believe they get a substantial cut of this monthly bundle. It's not like they were desperate for development money like some devs who bundle are.

I doubt it cost them anything to secure the games for the bundle, maybe some man power to reach out to devs/publishers

They probably invited them over as guests, ordered some dominos, bitched about the shipping costs and got them waived, knocked someone up and called it a day.
There's a difference between the cost of getting someone in a room with you (entering negotiations), and the cost of getting a developer to agree to be in your bundle (securing them for your bundle). One is more or less nonexistant, the other is a fixed % of your total revenue.

Which is what I meant. Moran.

{Brock with an F5 on CM Punk}

f5_gif.gif
pph2n.gif

EDIT:

MysterD has not got ARK at all.

He didn't buy it on Steam before the HB Monthly; and he is not subscribed to the HB Monthly.

I forgot about this....I would have loved Shantae and Sentinels, though Sentinels has been extremely cheap lately. Didn't want ARK so forgot about it. 

Also these build a bundles are kind of the expensive side...around $20 for stuff I want but maybe not $20. Also still jealous of the monthly bundle. Frankly the last one was terrible for me with two +1s I think and maybe a third +1 but it was some multiplayer game I wouldn't play. I do want both games early access for the next so guess Humble has another sucker though at 10% discount haha.

Also these build a bundles are kind of the expensive side...around $20 for stuff I want but maybe not $20. Also still jealous of the monthly bundle. Frankly the last one was terrible for me with two +1s I think and maybe a third +1 but it was some multiplayer game I wouldn't play. I do want both games early access for the next so guess Humble has another sucker though at 10% discount haha.
I did the Rogue Like build a bundle and it was like 12 bucks, pretty decent deal for me, but rogue likes are my favorite genre and two of them were on my wishlist.

Yeah, I really want Desktop Dungeons and Road Not Taken, but the prices could be better. Also, don't let yourself get fooled into thinking that you're getting 70% off +10% Humble Monthly = 80% off. It's 10% off of the discounted total in the cart, so three games ends up being about 73% off -- fine if you really want to play the games, but not an omggottabuyitnow deal.

Want Desktop Dungeons and Convoy myself. Bedlam and Oblitus look OK but flawed. Dungeon of the Endless is excellent and worth the price though it gets very repetitive after quite a few games though there is a lot of characters. Teleglitch/Shattered Planet/Steam Marines were bundled and cheap before. For what I would get it comes out to about $17 with the extra 10% so not amazing but alright. 

Also, don't let yourself get fooled into thinking that you're getting 70% off +10% Humble Monthly = 80% off. It's 10% off of the discounted total in the cart, so three games ends up being about 73% off -- fine if you really want to play the games, but not an omggottabuyitnow deal.
MysterD had his cart full and was ready to check out until he read this ...

Guys I'm not sure you want Convoy.

I bought it in the winter sale and it didn't grab me at all. It just wasn't fun.

Watch some LPs or Twitch streams to make your mind up, but I legitimately think this is a case of Wait For Bundle. Probably next month's Humble Monthly.

:grouphug:

Guys I'm not sure you want Convoy.

I bought it in the winter sale and it didn't grab me at all. It just wasn't fun.

Watch some LPs or Twitch streams to make your mind up, but I legitimately think this is a case of Wait For Bundle. Probably next month's Humble Monthly.

:grouphug:
isn't that just Faster than Light - vehicular edition though?

You forgot about the case... but, yes, that sums it up. As to why...? They couldn't handle doing a physical package but thought that there was enough sales out there that giving some profits to WB was worth it.
The other thing that could be possible w/ Dying Light - some companies just can't get their games to retail w/out the help of a distributor and/or publisher b/c a company hasn't done enough business and/or have enough reputation built-up w/ retail.

It happened with Dead Island at retail - i.e. Techland developed; Deep Silver published; and Square Enix played distributor b/c Deep Silver didn't have enough cred w/ retail.

I don't think Techland's big enough of a name to get a game self-published at retail - though, WB certainly is big enough to play distributor/publisher at retail.

EDIT:

Also, they probably figured to put the PC SKU out at retail probably b/c they were also putting game out on consoles; and most console games sell at retail.

EDIT 2:

y u lookin at Nakamura's nuts?

{Nakamura entrance on RoH}

fxhu2t5.gif
tumblr_nho98u6fNm1sbzhteo1_400.gif

So I was looking at the weekly bundle, but the BTA doesn't seem like a great deal, all the tables are $2.99 apiece, assuming they go for 75% off during a Steam sale it would only cost $3 for all of them.

So I was looking at the weekly bundle, but the BTA doesn't seem like a great deal, all the tables are $2.99 apiece, assuming they go for 75% off during a Steam sale it would only cost $3 for all of them.
Agreed. I want Walking Dead and Ant Man, but I'll wait for 75% off. Want the South Park and American Dad tables, too.

I'm so glad that I subscribed and didn't buy Wasteland 2 on Nuuvem a few months ago.
I wish I was smart as u, but I was lured in by big bottomed Brazilian glistening buttocks and the Carnival and bought it from Nuuvem. I also bought SouthPark and This War is Mine which makes me a double dumbass.

I think Civil War has been 75% off, but none of the others in that tier have been better than 50% off. That said, now that they've been bundled they might see a higher discount in the next sale.

Question: do the DLC tables ever go at 75% off on Steam?
Yes, but pretty infrequently, and mostly for the older stuff.

The Civil War table is a rebundle anyways, so you'd be saving even more money (if you got it last year in the $1-tier) if you just waited for 75% off for the 3 tables ($2.25 vs. $4).

If anyone has a wasteland 2 key to trade I have these to offer

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory (uplay)
Outlast
Grim Fandango Remastered
The Talos Principle
All of those for W2 or just one? Because nobody's gonna trade it for a Uplay key or a $0.33 game right now. Or even Grim Fandango, I would think.

All of those for W2 or just one? Because nobody's gonna trade it for a Uplay key or a $0.33 game right now. Or even Grim Fandango, I would think.
Good thing The Talos Principle was on the list, that I kickstarted Wasteland 2, and maybe better yet, that I skipped the monthly bundle that had TP in it. (All in all it worked out well enough for the both of us. :) )

Good thing The Talos Principle was on the list, that I kickstarted Wasteland 2, and maybe better yet, that I skipped the monthly bundle that had TP in it. (All in all it worked out well enough for the both of us. :) )
Yeah, that was the only game worth the trade, which is why I didn't understand why he listed all the other stuff.

Good on ya though. :beer:

Okay, so figured out Humble purchase limits go by payment methods.  So if you have multiple CCs you can use each one for 3 purchases before getting locked out.  Was able to get 6 more $1 Tiers for tremor trade in.  Think I'm done for now, but hope they do this for future bundles. 

bread's done
Back