Humble Origin Bundle - Steam keys - 8/22: C&C Red Alert 3 Uprising and Populous added

louiedog

CAGiversary!
Feedback
56 (100%)
$1+
  • Dead Space
  • Burnout Paradise: Ultimate Box
  • Crysis 2 Maximum Edition
  • Mirror's Edge
  • Dead Space 3 - Origin only
  • Medal of Honor

Beat the Average
  • Battlefield 3 - Origin only
  • The Sims 3 + Starter Pack - Origin Only
  • C&C: Red Alert 3 - Uprising*
  • Populous* - Origin Only
*Included for all purchases, regardless of price, made before 11 AM PST on 8/22.

Steam keys are provided unless otherwise noted. All games are on Origin. Keys are individual for each game on both platforms.

The money in this bundle goes to charity, not Origin/EA.

https://www.humblebundle.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
No. Know why? Because I paid a buck ten. If all my games get SecuRom'd to death tomorrow, I'm out a buck ten.

I bought before I knew it was 100% charity; I'll probably bump it when the additional games get released.

There's people now still saying "Oh, EA is going to get a tax break so who cares if they're doing charity? EA SUCKS!!!". There's no value in giving away any major properties to get into anyone "good graces" if they're not already there.
My question about avoiding SecuROM was more about it possibly destroying PC hardware and having unremovable crap running every time your PC starts up, rather than losing access to the games.

Is anyone else having problems downloading Sims 3 on Origin? The download never seems to  fuckng end. And if I pause it and try again later it subtracts 25-30% of my download progress when I try to return and resume. No wonder people are dumping their Origin codes like used oil.    

Is anyone else having problems downloading Sims 3 on Origin? The download never seems to fuckng end. And if I pause it and try again later it subtracts 25-30% of my download progress when I try to return and resume. No wonder people are dumping their Origin codes like used oil.
Doesn't ring a bell. Had no issues here.

And if you "try again later", it's not subtracting any of your progress, it's taking a moment to verify what parts have already been installed, so that progress bar isn't telling you your full download position. Just give it a bit and it'll show where you're at soon enough.

I always get pretty good download speeds through Origin and no issues.

aww shit was about to bite on this then noticed that they were on Origin.. F that, i wouldn't get them if they were free if i had to instal lthat crap

aww shit was about to bite on this then noticed that they were on Origin.. F that, i wouldn't get them if they were free if i had to instal lthat crap
Most of the non-BTA games come with Steam keys. If you're gonna join the "Origin sucks" bandwagon you should at least do more than 5 seconds of research.

Anybody end up with a Sims 3 key they won't be using?  Shoot me a PM and we'll see if we can't arrange a trade.  I have a bunch of keys around for various Steam titles. some from bundles, some not!

I don't know, I used origin for pretty much the first time with this bundle, and so far I'm really impressed. Nice UI, WAY faster than Steam, and I can enter my codes online and not have to start/stop the download. I honestly can't see what people dislike about it :???:

I'm using Origin from about a year or maybe more (back from the first time Amazon sold dead space pack über-cheap) and never had a problem. Yes, I don't like EA so much, but I like most of its games and the client runs great.

I used origin back in Battlefield 3 alpha, which I think was about 2 years ago, and the hate was justified back then because it was terrible and buggy, but over time from BF3 release (Which it was still a mess) to now it's gotten much better so the only hate I can understand people having with it aside from "Ewww it's EA" is that it's not steam where the rest of their games are.

Yeah, I'll agree that a couple years ago hate for Origin was justified but they have improved vastly. The only reason I prefer Steam over Origin right now is because I have more games and friends on Steam. There is a benefit to keeping everything in one place, but for games that are Origin exclusive I have no problems using it. I do love, however, how most people who "hate" it now, also make the comment that they refuse to install it. That means they hate it without even using it, and probably don't even know why they hate it.

Possibilities I have come up with:

a) Just general EA hate and anything that goes with it. However, a lot of these people want the EA games, just not on Origin, so that doesn't make the most sense.

b) They tried Origin back when it first came out and haven't given it a second chance. Just remember, Steam was universally hated and buggy when it was new too.

c) They heard other people talking shit and refuse to make up their own minds.

d) They actually tried Origin recently, and there was something specific that they did not like about it. This, as I see it, is the only possibly valid reason for claiming to hate Origin and not want to use it.

I was able to download, install, and play all the games without any issues, but with the popularity of this bundle people should expect some minor issues. There isn't a single service that has a perfect track record, especially when millions of downloads are happening simultaneously.

Yeah, I'll agree that a couple years ago hate for Origin was justified but they have improved vastly. The only reason I prefer Steam over Origin right now is because I have more games and friends on Steam. There is a benefit to keeping everything in one place, but for games that are Origin exclusive I have no problems using it. I do love, however, how most people who "hate" it now, also make the comment that they refuse to install it. That means they hate it without even using it, and probably don't even know why they hate it.

Possibilities I have come up with:

a) Just general EA hate and anything that goes with it. However, a lot of these people want the EA games, just not on Origin, so that doesn't make the most sense.

b) They tried Origin back when it first came out and haven't given it a second chance. Just remember, Steam was universally hated and buggy when it was new too.

c) They heard other people talking shit and refuse to make up their own minds.

d) They actually tried Origin recently, and there was something specific that they did not like about it. This, as I see it, is the only possibly valid reason for claiming to hate Origin and not want to use it.

I was able to download, install, and play all the games without any issues, but with the popularity of this bundle people should expect some minor issues. There isn't a single service that has a perfect track record, especially when millions of downloads are happening simultaneously.
This is pretty much true, I hated steam back in the earlier days (I have the 8 year badge to prove it) but have grown to like it over time, it may take time for people to actually like origin as well.

At this point what I "hate" is having 2 game meta-launch clients (Origin+ Steam), but at is so so so nice to have my game keys stored in one place and having one-touch re-install.  

Anyone else having trouble actually downloading anything from Origin?

So obviously I'd normally not use Origin, but I figured it goes to charity, okay...

But I spent since Friday night trying to download Battlefield 3.  It's a crazy 20GB so was going to take a couple of days, but clearly the Origin client suuuuuucks.  It made it to like 38%, then dropped to 30, then to 20.  I did restart it at one point just in case, it usually starts around 20%, makes it up maybe into the 30s, and at some point drops back down to 20.

Sooooooooo this just doesn't seem to work at all?

So obviously I'd normally not use Origin, but I figured it goes to charity, okay...

But I spent since Friday night trying to download Battlefield 3. It's a crazy 20GB so was going to take a couple of days, but clearly the Origin client suuuuuucks. It made it to like 38%, then dropped to 30, then to 20. I did restart it at one point just in case, it usually starts around 20%, makes it up maybe into the 30s, and at some point drops back down to 20.

I downloaded Dead Space 3 and I think it did that where it dropped, but it eventually downloaded, downloading BF3 now with no problems so far

I'm hoping syndicate is one of the games they add. Also as Wolfpup mentions the main issue I've had with origin thus far is I'll be downloading and I got to 80% on Dead Space 3 and suddenly it's dropped to 35% and I'm sorry but that doesn't make sense at all. So far it's my only real issue with the client, well that and the time remaining on downloads seems vastly off. Says it will be done in ten minutes, and fifteen minutes later it's still downloading and the time remaining clock is at zero.

I'm hoping syndicate is one of the games they add. Also as Wolfpup mentions the main issue I've had with origin thus far is I'll be downloading and I got to 80% on Dead Space 3 and suddenly it's dropped to 35% and I'm sorry but that doesn't make sense at all. So far it's my only real issue with the client, well that and the time remaining on downloads seems vastly off. Says it will be done in ten minutes, and fifteen minutes later it's still downloading and the time remaining clock is at zero.
i hope it just one tier no fucking 2nd tier if 2nd tier plz be game i dont like or want or finish my collection crysis 3 espiclaly

i hope it just one tier no fucking 2nd tier if 2nd tier plz be game i dont like or want or finish my collection crysis 3 espiclaly

If you already bought the bundle, you get the added games for free. No matter what.

But I spent since Friday night trying to download Battlefield 3. It's a crazy 20GB so was going to take a couple of days, but clearly the Origin client suuuuuucks. It made it to like 38%, then dropped to 30, then to 20. I did restart it at one point just in case, it usually starts around 20%, makes it up maybe into the 30s, and at some point drops back down to 20.

I've been running into this problem, too. Seems like It'll just randomly delete download progress. What I've been doing to get around it is pausing the download every so often, then copy/pasting the download folder to my desktop. When it resets, I exit Origin and replace the folder with the copy, then restart and resume the download. It's kind of a hassle, but it beats losing gigs of download progress.

Here's a question for you: what is EA going to do about it? What is EA going to do to match or beat Steam Workshop? Trading? Greenlight? Pre-paid cards? When is EA going to even optimize the Origin client itself? With no windows open, it was eating up 80 megs of RAM in the background. Meanwhile, Steam was down to 10 megs and that thing is bloated as hell.

If this Humble Bundle is the first step towards garnering goodwill, then I'm all for it. But EA has one fucklong road ahead of it.

Here's a question for you: what is EA going to do about it? What is EA going to do to match or beat Steam Workshop? Trading? Greenlight? Pre-paid cards? When is EA going to even optimize the Origin client itself? With no windows open, it was eating up 80 megs of RAM in the background. Meanwhile, Steam was down to 10 megs and that thing is bloated as hell.

If this Humble Bundle is the first step towards garnering goodwill, then I'm all for it. But EA has one fucklong road ahead of it.
Does anyone really think we need Origin Greenlight :fridge:

Honestly, 99.9% of what I want my game client to do is store, download and run the games in its library.  Origin does that like a champ.  I don't care for the "community" stuff, Greenlight is a joke, Steam trading is Steam stuff only and most of my games are bought off-Steam, and the only Workshop thing I use is a few Skyrim mods.  And most of my major mods are through Nexus anyway so if Steam Workshop went away, it wouldn't affect me much.

So while Steam has some things Origin doesn't have and will likely never have... I guess I just don't care?

The average will stay low given all of the individuals paying just a single dollar (including many on this very forum) but I completely agree with you, it is quite a selection of games that EA has offered. Regardless of their motives, the money still goes to a good cause and you get some stellar games for cheap - just as you said, even $10 is a steal for all of these games.
I just seem to remember with the last big bundle (had Saint's Row, Sacred, Risen, etc) the average was a few bucks higher when I bought it and this EA bundle is much better (and technically worth more).

Honestly, 99.9% of what I want my game client to do is store, download and run the games in its library. Origin does that like a champ. I don't care for the "community" stuff, Greenlight is a joke, Steam trading is Steam stuff only and most of my games are bought off-Steam, and the only Workshop thing I use is a few Skyrim mods. And most of my major mods are through Nexus anyway so if Steam Workshop went away, it wouldn't affect me much.

So while Steam has some things Origin doesn't have and will likely never have... I guess I just don't care?
My issues have mostly been resolved with Origin. Originally it was just a terrible service. Buggy, downloaded slow, had problems install and uninstalling stuff all the time, etc. The store part is still really slow as are other parts of it, but for the most part installs and downloads have been greatly improved.

There's still some issues though, mainly I just think it was an douche move by them to try and grab more market share. I want to see them all working together, not fighting like 8 year old girls. I have a PC because it's an "all in one" type thing, I don't want 3-4 clients on my PC because then I essentially have 3-4 consoles on my PC.

Also, ESPECIALLY for games exclusive to Origin you shouldn't have to enter in your password five times to play. With stuff like Sims 3 it's extremely annoying that I'm using it on EA's own service yet it still has it's own launcher and need to enter my password in for it again and again. At least it's all one password now but still. If it's EA's service for EA's games this should all be built in. I'd rather them go all out than half ass it.

I just seem to remember with the last big bundle (had Saint's Row, Sacred, Risen, etc) the average was a few bucks higher when I bought it and this EA bundle is much better (and technically worth more).
It all has to do with the content in the tiers, and the number of tiers. For the current bundle, there is so much good shit in the basic tier that a lot of people will just throw in at a buck now to get all those games plus whatever bonuses come around. With the Deep Silver bundle, having DLC for a game that was in the basic tier, plus Dead Island got a lot of people to jump in at that level. It also helped that they had another tier on top of that with a $25 minimum, which would bring the average up (even if it wasn't a noticeable increase) every time someone purchased it.

One thing I will say is that Sims 3 on Origin is ironically much more of a PITA than Sims 3 on Steam. Steam you buy the base and whatever packs you want as DLC and it downloads it all at once as one download, one install and then you just run it. Origin you download the base, then download expansion 1, then 2, then... then stuff pack 1, then 2 then... and then the launcher still has to download more stuff potentially to update itself (The version of the launcher they have with Sims3 on Steam downloads its updates automatically through Steam not through the launcher)

Last time I checked you also had to download the old version of the game at shipping time (which was years ago) then after you do that download a patch. It won't just autodownload the latest version like Steam does, but maybe they changed that? I don't know.

Anyway, the whole thing is a really messy old way to do things and the game can get tempermental if you install the packs out of order.

Also you get an entry for every single pack as a separate entry in Origin. So I have 20 or so Origin 'games' in my library there that are really just all Sims 3.

Hopefully they come up with a better system with Sims 4 which is 99.999999999999999999% sure to require Origin and not be sold on Steam.

Also, ESPECIALLY for games exclusive to Origin you shouldn't have to enter in your password five times to play. With stuff like Sims 3 it's extremely annoying that I'm using it on EA's own service yet it still has it's own launcher and need to enter my password in for it again and again. At least it's all one password now but still. If it's EA's service for EA's games this should all be built in. I'd rather them go all out than half ass it.
Sims 3 is a poor example. That game sells a massive amount of retail copies and is hardly Origin exclusive. You don't need ANY client to run it, other than its own launcher, and considering the ridiculous number of patch levels the average Sims title goes through, including a proprietary launcher is almost necessary to keep the 20ish million people playing it updated.

Re: that other market share stuff. "Working Together" never works. While having one standardized version of ANYTHING is convenient, it rarely is a benefit to consumers. I view occurrences like a Origin-centric Humble Bundle to be a great portent of increased competition and even greater deals. Getting more people to look beyond the "no steam no buy" ethos will lead to even more varied avenues for cheapasses to save a few bucks.

There's still some issues though, mainly I just think it was an douche move by them to try and grab more market share. I want to see them all working together, not fighting like 8 year old girls. I have a PC because it's an "all in one" type thing, I don't want 3-4 clients on my PC because then I essentially have 3-4 consoles on my PC.
Bwahahahahahaha! Yeah, I'm sure Valve, EA, Ubi, Actizzard, and the rest of them all have the best interests of the gamer at heart, and are not greedy, money-grabbing, uncaring corporations trying to get as much of a market share as they possibly can.

Re: that other market share stuff. "Working Together" never works. While having one standardized version of ANYTHING is convenient, it rarely is a benefit to consumers. I view occurrences like a Origin-centric Humble Bundle to be a great portent of increased competition and even greater deals. Getting more people to look beyond the "no steam no buy" ethos will lead to even more varied avenues for cheapasses to save a few bucks.
Amen, brother!

Eventually, I think what would be best is a meta-client that can hide or abstact each individual client, but like I snarkily said above, good luck getting any publisher to agree to work on something like that...

The trading cards for steam are really great. Steam is basically just giving me money since people seem to want to pay a lot of virtual goods that I don't care about.

so even if there second tier? i know the bonus for the regular tier but the second tier
What Shiro said. If you haven't bought the bundle, they are behind the BTA, but if you have already paid for it, even only $1, you get all the bonuses. You would still be out BF3 and The Sims 3 though.

My issues have mostly been resolved with Origin. Originally it was just a terrible service. Buggy, downloaded slow, had problems install and uninstalling stuff all the time, etc. The store part is still really slow as are other parts of it, but for the most part installs and downloads have been greatly improved.

So you want direct competitors to work together?

[customspoiler= Alrighty then. ]
tumblr_mlvtw1B0FN1r4yh4xo1_250.gif
[/customspoiler]

As for Sims 3, you don't have to enter any passwords if you don't want to, that's only for the little online social features and in-game Sims store function. That's all totally optional, you don't have to log in if you don't want to.

And besides, once I log in, I stay logged in every time I relaunch the game... so your complaint confuses me.

If anyone wants to add me on Origin, my username is Idiotekque.

And if anyone playing Sims 3 wants to add me on that, my name is also Idiotekque. I do a lot of storywriting on the game, so my feed shouldn't be too boring.

If anyone wants to add me on Origin, my username is Idiotekque.

And if anyone playing Sims 3 wants to add me on that, my name is also Idiotekque. I do a lot of storywriting on the game, so my feed shouldn't be too boring.
Totally going to send Sims on tour to your neighborhood. :p

One thing I will say is that Sims 3 on Origin is ironically much more of a PITA than Sims 3 on Steam. Steam you buy the base and whatever packs you want as DLC and it downloads it all at once as one download, one install and then you just run it. Origin you download the base, then download expansion 1, then 2, then... then stuff pack 1, then 2 then... and then the launcher still has to download more stuff potentially to update itself (The version of the launcher they have with Sims3 on Steam downloads its updates automatically through Steam not through the launcher)

Last time I checked you also had to download the old version of the game at shipping time (which was years ago) then after you do that download a patch. It won't just autodownload the latest version like Steam does, but maybe they changed that? I don't know.

Anyway, the whole thing is a really messy old way to do things and the game can get tempermental if you install the packs out of order.

Also you get an entry for every single pack as a separate entry in Origin. So I have 20 or so Origin 'games' in my library there that are really just all Sims 3.

Hopefully they come up with a better system with Sims 4 which is 99.999999999999999999% sure to require Origin and not be sold on Steam.
You can just "Hide" all the DLC/Add-ons in the games list. That's what I did.. right along with Sims3 itself since I'll never play it.

You can just "Hide" all the DLC/Add-ons in the games list. That's what I did.. right along with Sims3 itself since I'll never play it.
I'm not seeing an option to hide DLC unless you mean manually go and click hide on every single one in which case, well :p

I still think there could be a better way of organizing DLC than that.

Imagine if they had Railworks and you had to hide all the Railworks DLC one by one. :fridge:

I'm not seeing an option to hide DLC unless you mean manually go and click hide on every single one in which case, well :p

I still think there could be a better way of organizing DLC than that.

Imagine if they had Railworks and you had to hide all the Railworks DLC one by one. :fridge:
It takes like 5 seconds max to hide each Game/DLC, you only have to do it once.

You can then install them via the 'show game details' page for Sims 3.

Be more dramatic.

EDIT: This system is also only for older games prior to them implementing there achievement system. Battlefield 3, etc only show the DLC in the games page.

My goodness, it seems BF3 will never download, it went back to 90% after being almost 100% two times now. Anyone else with this problem end up just redownloading it from scratch or will it finish on its own?

My goodness, it seems BF3 will never download, it went back to 90% after being almost 100% two times now. Anyone else with this problem end up just redownloading it from scratch or will it finish on its own?
Never seen that behavior before on any of my Origin downloads. I downloaded BF3 today and it went straight through the first time without incident.

Had no problem downloading these.....Awesome games for the greater good!!! Specially now, that I just started PC gaming... Being a hardcore console gamer, I must admit that the transition is a difficult one.

I played Syndicate not too long ago... it's not very good (I'd go so far as to say it's rather bad). If you want a game like that, get Deus Ex Human Revolution. I played that shortly afterward, and it was a far better game in every respect. The stories were REALLY similar as well, oddly enough.

About the only thing I found good about Syndicate were two of the boss fights (the one in the subway, and the last one).

Now regarding DXHR, I can't recommend the DLC (missing link). It wasn't very good, and didn't even really fit the story well.

I was finally able to download the Sims 3 yesterday. The best thing you can really do is just download the whole thing in one go, no breaks until the status bar on the download is completely full. 

And wow these loading times are no joke. I can see why it takes so long though. There's just so much stuff.

I decided to give the Medal of Honor and Battlefield 3 campaigns a chance and play them...I prefer Duke Nukem Forever.
On the console side Medal of Honor online multiplayer was solid and real fun, how is it on the PC end? Is there enough people that play online?

bread's done
Back