I am really sick of anime influence

I think this thread needs to be called animEMO. If you like an anime that more that 5 people have heard of, you suck. If it's not already a classic, it never will be. Finally, you're a total tool for going along with the mass market and enjoying the mainstream.

:roll:

[quote name='Kayden']I think this thread needs to be called animEMO. If you like an anime that more that 5 people have heard of, you suck. If it's not already a classic, it never will be. Finally, you're a total tool for going along with the mass market and enjoying the mainstream.

:roll:[/QUOTE]

You can actually apply that to any form of entertainment IMO.

Reading all of the posts... I'm beginning to realize that the lines everyone iterprets as pure "American" and pure "Anime" are fuzzy. When I think of American, I either think of Looney Toons/Disney/Simpsons/Family Guy-ish or G.I. Joe/X-Men(90's)/Spiderman(90's)
and Anime as... well... anime. Anything coming from Japan and translated.

Someone said that Batman:TAS is "americanime" and I couldn't disagree more. I don't see the connection between basic anime conventions and TAS besides it being composed of simple lines and that isn't good enough for me. It was simply a different piece of art never really seen before and everyone felt the need to catagorize it instead of just saying it's original.

I think the same goes for alot of Cartoon Network's Cartoon-Cartoons. Dexter's Lab has a very "new" American look, but pays tribute to anime in some obviously anime-inspired scenes (giant mechs or the Speed Racer tribute anyone?)

[quote name='TurkeyOnRye']
Someone said that Batman:TAS is "americanime" and I couldn't disagree more. I don't see the connection between basic anime conventions and TAS besides it being composed of simple lines and that isn't good enough for me. It was simply a different piece of art never really seen before and everyone felt the need to catagorize it instead of just saying it's original.

I think the same goes for alot of Cartoon Network's Cartoon-Cartoons. Dexter's Lab has a very "new" American look, but pays tribute to anime in some obviously anime-inspired scenes (giant mechs or the Speed Racer tribute anyone?)[/QUOTE]

I agree... Take each piece as an original. You can't fault something for its influence.

[quote name='TurkeyOnRye']

[/QUOTE]

It was animated by Sunrise Inc... in Japan IIRC... using their artists, techniques, and styles. American artists storyboarded some of it and did some character designing but it was without a doubt one of the real first successful collabortions using the talent and art of an overseas animation company and the frist real sucessful "americanime" so to speak. The high framerate and smooth art wasn't even that uncommon in Japan animation studios, just over here at the time. Just because it was good doesn't mean it wasn't "americanime"...

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell'] Just because it was good doesn't mean it wasn't "americanime"...[/QUOTE]

I never said that. I just said I don't agree with the title. Americanime to me is a cartoon that is a mix of the two styles that obviously shows each style. Teen Titans is a good one that comes to mind (And yes I do like it)... it shows that it is a decendent from the Paul Dinni/Bruce Timm cartoons yet it uses the typical anime conventions (sweat drops, distorted faces, etc...). G.I. Joe Sigma Six is another example. It's an american based cartoon overhauled in anime by a japanese writer to appeal to the growing U.S. anime market. And it blows. It's quite possibly the worst example of my interpretation of "Americanime" there is.

I personally believe (and I could be wrong) that Batman:TAS doesn't fall in that catagory just because it was animated in Japan. I think the developers of the show had a certain vision for the show, a certain look, and the animators had to stay with that look. There is no anime comparible to the look of Batman:TAS as far as I know so I consider it totally original to the creators.

Someone said most of the tweener frames for shows like the Simpsons are done in Korea... but we still consider the Simpsons american. I think the same should go for Batman:TAS...

bread's done
Back