I can’t believe it. I really liked Bionic Commando!

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!
Started this as a sort of forum post, evolved into something resembling a review, but I'm posting it here:

For the record, I still think the 1988 NES original is one of the best action games ever made. I *still* play through it every couple of years, and most of what it does still feels fresh and original. (Note that technically the NES game was based on an earlier arcade game, but other than having a bionic arm and the same name, that game is nothing at all like the NES game, and absolutely terrible.)

I wasn’t expecting much from this sequel, as I thought NST’s late 90’s sequel was severely flawed, and I didn’t even like Grin’s remake much from last year (Rearmed). I thought it was okay, but in every area where it deviated from the original, I thought the original was better. (Even the graphics and music, which sounded like a generic techno remix.)

So the worse reviewed, and 3D sequel? Not very hopeful. And for some reason, the game took a LONG time for me to get into. There are a lot of times I had to replay a section multiple times to get through it. (Luckily there are fairly frequent checkpoints.) On top of that, while the weapons are fun to use, I dislike the use of a generic post-Halo “can only hold two weapons and grenades” system this game uses.

But those end up being fairly minor quibbles for me. It’s true that the game artificially restricts your path (mostly with blue “radiation”). Perhaps because of the freedom the bionic arm gives you, that feels more obvious than in most games. But after a point, the ability to quickly scale obstacles, avoid attacks, etc., becomes second nature, and the game controls beautifully for the most part. I also like that the bionic arm has become much more of an offensive weapon in this game than the original. It has me wondering (much like the original, actually) why the Bionic Arm mechanism isn’t copied in other games.

I love everything else about the game. The slightly larger than life characters fit the theme and setting perfectly. It somehow FEELS right to me, despite a 21 year gap, and a new team on the other side of the planet developing it. The plot, voice acting, and writing/characterization feels like a valid take on things.

I feel similarly about the graphics. Normally I dread post apocalyptic settings. They all look alike, and look depressing and generic. But not here. Somehow Grin made this world bright, colorful, and often beautiful, even despite the ruin-it’s anything but a normal looking post apocalyptic setting. The music’s fantastic too. Where Rearmed felt like a generic techno remix, this game’s original music and riffs on the first game are exciting and often beautiful (if-like most modern games-probably too infrequent). I’m astounded at how the original 8-bit game’s music sounds like it was always meant to be played on piano, violin, trumpet, or electric guitar (etc.).

In short, despite some very frustrating moment, on balance I loved the ride Bionic Commando provides. I just wish Grin was still around to provide us with some sort of sequel. I love these characters, and would love to spend more time in this world-there seem to be so many possibilities. I’d love another 3D game that perhaps provides a weapon, upgrade, and stage select system that’s closer to the original (and more in-depth than we get here). I’d also love another 2D sequel!

the game was way better than i thought itd be. asking 60 for it was too much but at 20 it was a fun game to play.

[quote name='lokizz']the game was way better than i thought itd be. asking 60 for it was too much but at 20 it was a fun game to play.[/QUOTE]

I agree..

The 8.0 review that IGN gave it feels completely accurate to me.

Really wish It would have been more open as I loved just swinging around with the arm.. but underrated game me thinks.

Yup too linear for gameplay with so much free range in movement but man was that fun. The game was just point A to B fetch quests, but it was relatively short so it remained enjoyable. Maybe a sequel will mix it up. It really should have been sandbox, it made all the collectables a bitch to obtain since you couldn't backtrack. It was really fun just swinging around but they really limit the playground for that.

I really liked it as well. It just depends on what you are looking for in a title.

I describe this game to friends as being a lot like Assassin's Creed. It was fun- but at the same time really sad. The world was so rich, and the character controlled so well. The game was really fun to play, but the developers never really went beyond that. The whole time I was playing the game, I was thinking of new and awesome ways they COULD have used the character in the game- but they didn't really push it.

I thought the last 20% of the game was great.

yeah i picked up this game at the $20 price point.

I have to say i really enjoyed it. It started off slow, but i dredged through the 1st few levels and by the end i didnt want it to end. The last few levels were simply awesome. Graphics were amazing after you got out of the cityscape tileset as well.

Definately alot better then i expected.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']I was disappointed horribly to hear of GRIN's closing. Now, there will be no resolution to any of the plot twists.[/QUOTE]
I doubt we would have seen a sequel any time soon based on the general attitude towards this game, and the mediocre sales- and I would imagine that their closing shop occurred for very similar reasons.

Capcom will probably just hand it off to someone else though- like Okami.

Yes, GRIN did everything wrong when developing Bionic Commando. First, they were overconfident that the game would sell, so they didn't worry about making a cohesive story. Second, they took the time to develop a multiplayer, which was generally disregarded by players. Third, Capcom released a multiplayer demo instead of a single player one, showing off the worst aspects of the game to potential customers. All that led to poor critical reception and a large decrease in sales. If Rearmed proved anything, it's that a good game will sell when word gets out. Bionic Commando was underdeveloped and rushed during its final development phases. ( Thus, boss battles, including a final one, are non-existent. ) GRIN could have stayed in business had better decision-making been practiced during the game's planning stages.

Now, we only have the one game, and, as ok as it is, it could have been so much more.

That was WEIRD that they released a multiplayer demo for Bionic Commando. It wouldn't even occur to me that it would have that, and I have ZERO interest in any kind of death match.

Too bad about it being rushed, although I did like how the ending worked (gameplay and story).

Thought the multiplayer was the best part of the game, when you could find a full match that is. Logged about 1.5 hours in the campaign and couldn't force myself to play anymore, I got a distinct "I'd have buyer's remorse if I bought it during the $20 sale." Good thing I GameFly'ed it.

I payed $30 something and feel like it's a keeper for me. Just weird they'd release multiplayer demo only, for something most people want it as a single player game.

It's really gorgeous too. Only graphical problem I saw was this weird thing where the depth of view type effect would screw up, and not "shut off" for a second, so it's like stuff would be out of focus if you turned around. At least the Xbox version did that a bunch, but that's REALLY nitpicking 'cause it's pretty 99% of the time.

I played the PS3 version and hated the slow camera for swing, but the PC version fixed that. I actually finished the PC version and recommend it, it's way better that the console versions.

I bought it when Gamestop had it for 20 bucks and didn't regret it once. I loved the original when I was younger (still do) and had a good time with Rearmed. I agree this could have been so much more, and would have loved to see a sequel to it, but I had no problem playing through it to complete and get all of the collectibles and challenges done, and then going back through it on the hardest difficulty to finish off the achievements. I would buy it again in a hearbeat.

I bought my copy when Gamestop had it for $20 as well. Unfortunately it's still sitting on the shelf unopened, but it sounds like when I have time to put into it I won't regret it.

From the sounds of it, I should be glad I held on to my copy :)

Yeah, just give it a chance though 'cause like I said, it took me a while to get into it. I kind of almost hated it for a while even!

bread's done
Back