I got a free Retro Con and other free stuff... *56k*

SINNED

CAGiversary!
I was at the opening for the "I am 8bit" art gallery in L.A. They were giving out giftbags but you had to haggle with the curator to get one, which was hard since a ton of people were always around him. So I went up to a lady that worked there and told her that some guy from 'Intellivision Music' said I can come back here to get a giftbag (which was true, cool guy). So I ended up getting one from the backroom. I was surprised to see how heavy it was.

Inside was: a PS2 Retro Con. An old school NES pad t-shirt At the top are 2 magazines, then some comic book and another comic book with a Konami logo on it. I guess it was a character from one of their games. Then a shirt that said "Lets hug it out, bitch" (from one of the artists, had nothing to do with "I am 8bit"). The 3 CD's were 8 bit weapon (which performed there), Becks new single and Hot Karl which kicks.

picture8810mk.jpg

Now this is awesome. These are 2 Smarties dispensers with Link and Mario head tops, a Street Fighter II iron on patch. 2 packs of "Nintendo Game Pack", original still sealed from 1989. 6 buttons of Megaman, Bowser, Donkey kong, Mario, Link and an Ice Climber. At the top are stickers.

picture8826ej.jpg

[quote name='rocksolidaudio']how was the show?[/QUOTE]

It's a great gallery. I was expecting to see simple game scenes and stuff, but a lot of them are really smart. I took a pic of almost every painting (around 60 pics). This ones one of my favorite:

mariopainting5dy.jpg

They're giving away that damned Hot Karl album with everything--when I went to Jamaica over spring break, we all got that exact same promo disc. We had no clue why, until we got down there and he performed almost every night.
P.S. The CD sucks.

Hey SINNED,

is this event annual? I love conventions but I just don't know of too many that have to do with videogames in this area...i know comic con kinda but I've never heard of this thing before...Does this place have a website?

PS...great score man! I agree with that painting...i like it too..

I live in Florida and really wanted to see that exhibition. Fortunately a group of 25 people (mostly students from UCF) are making a trip to LA after exams to go be on The Price is Right. Also fortunately, seems the exhibition will still be going on, so I'm damn sure making a point of checking it out. Sure won't walk out with a gift bag, but the art will be prize enough. Hmm...or might walk out with some prints and a lot less cash...

You wouldn't happen to recall off the top of your head a range of prices for prints, wouldya?

[quote name='menchirox']Hey SINNED,

is this event annual? I love conventions but I just don't know of too many that have to do with videogames in this area...i know comic con kinda but I've never heard of this thing before...Does this place have a website?

PS...great score man! I agree with that painting...i like it too..[/QUOTE]

It's an art gallery, it wasnt a convention. And this was the opening of the gallery I went to. The paintings will stay there all the way through May 20th. The last day will also have a party since it ends with E3.

Here's the website: http://www.iam8bit.net/

Sorry dafunk I didnt see the prices, but the site may be selling them soon, the store isnt finished yet though. http://www.iam8bit.net/store/store.htm

[quote name='clockworkvictim']I want that shirt so bad.... reminds me of Entourage and Eric and Ari... funny as hell.
Nice goodie bag.[/QUOTE]

Such a good show. I have been watching the first season all weekend. I can't wait to see what those clowns get into in season 2.

D'oh, should've posted a while back.

First day arriving in LA, went with a few people to the group to the show and ACME store. I wound up buying a pikmin and Mario diorama and had a short little chat with one of the clerks. I told him where I came from and why we were there; he hooked me up with the shirts, CD's, and stickers. Totally awesome; I feel bad about forgetting his name.

BTW, a guy in our group won a car on The Price is Right. It was the May 20 episode.

bread's done
Back