I think I got screwed on an ebay DS..

Doom Gaze

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I guess I just shelled out a hundred fifty bucks for a "Special Miyamoto Edition" DS.. I was under the impression that it was some ultra-rare limited edition given out at E3 '05.

It's actually just a skin. Great. :( Not even a DS Lite, just a Phat.

*sigh* this has to stop happening all the time.

What's wrong with it? By reading your post it sounded like all you got was a DS Skin, no actual DS.

Pretty neat IMO, signed by miyamoto

I previously raised this issue on the auction thread started by the seller. You'll see that the seller never answered my question, which raised a lot of concerns on my part.

The buyer is complaining that the DS is just a regular DS with a skin on top featuring the orange patterns and a pre-printed replica of Miyamoto's signature. If you look at the other auction I link to, you'll see that the skin was handed out as part of Nintendo's press package at the 2005 E3. These skins were also handed out a the Nintendo World Miyamoto Event.

I think the listing is definitely misleading because it makes the DS sound like its some limited edition Miyamoto DS system, when in actuality it's just a regular DS with a limited edition Miyamoto skin on it.

[quote name='BigHow']I previously raised this issue on the auction thread started by the seller. You'll see that the seller never answered my question, which raised a lot of concerns on my part.

The buyer is complaining that the DS is just a regular DS with a skin on top featuring the orange patterns and a pre-printed replica of Miyamoto's signature. If you look at the other auction I link to, you'll see that the skin was handed out as part of Nintendo's press package at the 2005 E3. These skins were also handed out a the Nintendo World Miyamoto Event.

I think the listing is definitely misleading because it makes the DS sound like its some limited edition Miyamoto DS system, when in actuality it's just a regular DS with a limited edition Miyamoto skin on it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah.

Exactly. That's the impression the auction gives, that's the impression I was under. I got a DS Phat, an old item, and a sticker on it. I thought it was actually a hardware variation (i.e. the casing), but no.

I'll probably end up reselling it, because I'm not intending to get bad feedback.

You are bidding on a Rare Limited Edtion Nintendo DS with Shigeru Miyamoto.

You should file a complaint stating your item was not as described. How much would it be to ship a japanese man anyway?

if it makes you feel better, the sticker is relatively rare in it's own right. it was given out only to the attendees of nintendo's e3 05 press conference (like myself). so, can't be more than 5000 i imagine.

File a dispute, "Item not as described". Seller was implying that the DS is limited edition signed by Miyamoto..yet it was the skin that was limited not the DS.

Agree that it's a misleading listing. Based on the guy's other listings it appears this isn't a case of him/her not having sufficient command of English to create a clear description (just look at the other descriptions on the thread BigHow links - very well written and thorough) but rather a case of the guy being purposefully obtuse so that potential buyers will come to the same conclusion as the OP. Unfortunate that the seller is a CAG, I like to think we're above that sort of BS but obviously not.

As a buyer you need to do a bit of research and try to figure out exactly what you are buying, but the listing shouldn't try to fool you either.

*sigh* I PMed him offering to pay the listing fees, and letting him keep the item, being as gracious as possible.

Hopefully he's not some hardass Japanese businessman, who'll get heated and deny quickly.

[quote name='"From the auction.."']You are bidding on a Rare Limited Edtion Nintendo DS[/quote]

He was not bidding on a limited edition DS, he was bidding on a limited edition skin attached to a plain old DS.

:rofl:

I could sit here and argue semantics with you for hours, but the bottom line is, you posted a lousy description, this poor guy got suckered into it, and now you're being an ass about it when he's trying to be perfectly reasonable.

*waves*

such is eBay. I described my item fine. He won the auction, he should pay for it. It is not right to other bidders and to the seller for the people to win an auction and not pay.

[quote name='Lobsterjohnson']That skin is given out free at Nintendo World.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

Like I said, I'd be happy to cover all the listing fees. It was a decieving listing. I don't want anyone getting hot here, this is a civil matter and everyone agrees it was rather decieving. Obviously I was not the only one to buy into it, because a free skin is not worth the price of a new DS for the price of a used DS Phat whereas a special hardware variation is.

The only other guy who bid on that auction probably thought the same thing, and I doubt it would be unfair to him.. in fact, throw him a second chance offer. Tell him he can pay the 2.50 above his max bid and take it, I'll pay for your listing fees and no negative feedback need be exchanged.

We can then all be happy.

The signature on the skin is printed on and not the real deal?!
This got to suck.
I wouldn't pay for it.
It is not a limited edition DS at all, it is just a regular DS with a limited edition skin. Make that a USED skin which makes it worth even less. As Zing has already pointed out, the auction stated that Shigeru Miyamoto is included with the auction. Last I checked (ahh... 1 second ago, and no I didn't need to check), human trafficing is illegal so please report him to the proper authorities.

[quote name='Doom Gaze']Thanks.

Like I said, I'd be happy to cover all the listing fees. It was a decieving listing. I don't want anyone getting hot here, this is a civil matter and everyone agrees it was rather decieving. Obviously I was not the only one to buy into it, because a free skin is not worth the price of a new DS for the price of a used DS Phat whereas a special hardware variation is.

The only other guy who bid on that auction probably thought the same thing, and I doubt it would be unfair to him.. in fact, throw him a second chance offer. Tell him he can pay the 2.50 above his max bid and take it, I'll pay for your listing fees and no negative feedback need be exchanged.

We can then all be happy.[/quote]

Pay your winning bid.

In all honesty, the seller should have asked the buyer a question through Ebay before going ahead and start bidding... it seems like he had some questions and doubts.

When I'm in a situation like this, and I'm not sure whether to go with something, I'll always email the seller a question... if the seller dosen't get back to me, I assume the worst and just don't bid.

I'm not defending anyone's actions, I'm just saying that the buyer should have done a bit of research beforehand, espically on something like this to make sure it was the real deal. A simple question on CAG would have gotten all the answers you needed.

[quote name='WiiDSmoker']such is eBay. I described my item fine. He won the auction, he should pay for it. It is not right to other bidders and to the seller for the people to win an auction and not pay.[/QUOTE]

This is how you should have described it dumbass..

You are bidding on a Rare Limited Edtion Nintendo DS with Shigeru Miyamoto Limited Edition Skin. Only a few Skin were given out 2 years ago at E3. Cannot get the skin anywhere else! This is very Rare! The DS Comes with original box, instructions, stylus, and AC adapter. Complete Nintendo DS system!

Without the changes you are saying that you're DS is a special edition, which is not.

im not the dumbass in this situation, how pissed off would you be if you are selling an item and the winning bidder does not pay because he regrets bidding on it?

I'd be pretty understanding if he had a good reason. Quit being a greedy bastard and show some compassion, for a fellow CAG no less.

Does anyone know the proper place to file a complaint based on fraudulent descriptions? As long as the seller isn't going to give an inch, and I will not be paying for something that is completely different from the description.

To the seller, the offer's still open for all listing and relisting fees. I would be happy to pay the winning bid if the item matched the description, but this is not the case.

Edit: This isn't buyer's remorse. This is false advertisment. Show me someone who's supposed to be happy after that.

[quote name='WiiDSmoker']since when is it anyone's duty on here to show compassion for others?[/QUOTE]

Probably about the same time people can judge for themselves whether or not someone wrote something that could be construed as misleading.

I'm not taking a side, I'm just sayin'.

I mean, honestly. If you're going to make it that easy for someone to retort, why bother saying anything at all...

[quote name='Strell']Man. I guess Miyamoto luvs drawin' boobies.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly :D

Showing compassion is supposed to be something natural but hey, I guess you're too cool to be a nice guy.

[quote name='Doom Gaze']Does anyone know the proper place to file a complaint based on fraudulent descriptions? As long as the seller isn't going to give an inch, and I will not be paying for something that is completely different from the description.

To the seller, the offer's still open for all listing and relisting fees. I would be happy to pay the winning bid if the item matched the description, but this is not the case.

Edit: This isn't buyer's remorse. This is false advertisment. Show me someone who's supposed to be happy after that.[/QUOTE]

I don't think you can file a complaint until you have received the item Otherwise you won't know if it is as described.
who knows.....
Maybe you really will get a super secret limited edition DS with Shigeru Miyamoto! (assuming he survives the shipment in a cardboard box)
http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/inr-snad-process.html

[quote name='WiiDSmoker']since when is it anyone's duty on here to show compassion for others?[/QUOTE]

we don't.
most of us hate you.
:)

[quote name='Doom Gaze']Does anyone know the proper place to file a complaint based on fraudulent descriptions? As long as the seller isn't going to give an inch, and I will not be paying for something that is completely different from the description.

Edit: This isn't buyer's remorse. This is false advertisment. Show me someone who's supposed to be happy after that.[/QUOTE]

Next time use the "Ask the seller a question" button or do some research into what you're buying... this just seems kind of crazy to do a blind buy where the description is only 4 sentences long. I mean, how did you find out it was a skin? Did you research AFTER you already won?

I think in this situation you're going to eat a negative, as the seller dosen't want to compromise. Just have to learn a lesson and be on your way.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, just trying to look at things from a different perspective. We've all been in this situation were we were to quick to place a bid, and we just live and learn. Be glad you caught it before you actually paid.

such is eBay. I described my item fine. He won the auction, he should pay for it. It is not right to other bidders and to the seller for the people to win an auction and not pay.

"Such is eBay"? This is precisely the attitude that makes hardcore gamers such as myself so leery of doing business there. You have the nerve to contend that because you baited an unsuspecting eBay user into bidding on an item under false pretenses, that he's at fault here? I swear, this kind of audacity can only be found in the pond of scum that is most of eBay's seller userbase: a bunch of greedy hardasses looking for nothing more than to lure naive buyers (or in this case, a Nintendo fan with an itch and little time to spare) with their risibly elusive descriptions and sly antics. Shit, dude, don't you think that the aptitude in guile and manipulation that you have could be put to better use than swindling kids on eBay? Get a life.

[quote name='FlipSide']This is how you should have described it dumbass..

You are bidding on a Rare Limited Edtion Nintendo DS with Shigeru Miyamoto Limited Edition Skin. Only a few Skin were given out 2 years ago at E3. Cannot get the skin anywhere else! This is very Rare! The DS Comes with original box, instructions, stylus, and AC adapter. Complete Nintendo DS system!

Without the changes you are saying that you're DS is a special edition, which is not.[/QUOTE]I agree. Unless they were handing out systems w/ the skin already on them, the auction is totally misleading. I agree the OP was naive in not asking about it beforehand (and I don't know if a significantly-not-as-described complaint will get anywhere), but the auction was written in a manner to deceive. I think the OP is being more than fair in offering to pay listing fees, but he's probably going to have to eat the negative for not doing his research before his bidding. I'm surprised the seller is still insisting payment on CAG forums after being called out on CAG forums...

he is the one re-nigging on his bid. That is a very bad way to conduct one's self on eBay. I never mentioned it was signed by Miyamoto. Technically it is though, atleast on the skin. The Skin is a Limited Edition Skin. So my title and describtion is correction

[quote name='WiiDSmoker']he is the one re-nigging on his bid. That is a very bad way to conduct one's self on eBay. I never mentioned it was signed by Miyamoto. Technically it is though, atleast on the skin. The Skin is a Limited Edition Skin. So my title and describtion is correction[/QUOTE]

Man, do yourself a favor and don't post here anymore. You're not gonna win anyone over unless you man up and admit that you did something wrong instead of placing all of the blame on the buyer's mistake.

[quote name='WiiDSmoker']he is the one re-nigging on his bid. That is a very bad way to conduct one's self on eBay. I never mentioned it was signed by Miyamoto. Technically it is though, atleast on the skin. The Skin is a Limited Edition Skin. So my title and describtion is correction[/QUOTE]You don't mention "skin" anywhere in the auction. You're saying the DS was limited edition and handed out during E3, which is bogus. Why are you still arguing about this... especially here??

well if the seller doesnt want to settle, then the OP and will have no choice but to take the neg and a strike. It really isnt the end of the world, plus he wont have to pay the listing fee.

Wildsmoker you should just let him pay the listing fees, and relist it the correct and accurate way. If you don't, I would be not only be leaving negative feedback, but also contacting Ebay about the item being falsely advertised/not as described. Maybe if that didn't get through to you, I would make sure that every CAG member knew to stay clear of you also.

[quote name='WiiDSmoker']such is eBay.[/QUOTE]

Correct.
If you understand that much.
Then you should know that, there are a lot of people on ebay who don't pay for their auctions. Stop bitching about it and get over it. It is your fault for having a misleading description. How can it not be misleading?!? You IGNORED BigHow's question about the item. On top of that, smash bro stated that "the one WiiDSmoker is selling looks like the pattern isn't a skin, it looks like it's a design already on the DS". You knew that statement was WRONG and didn't correct it.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105601

[quote name='WiiDSmoker']we settled it through PM.[/QUOTE]

:applause: Glad to hear it! Hopefully a mod can come along and close this before more mud is slung.

[quote name='DustBoogie']:applause: Glad to hear it! Hopefully a mod can come along and close this before more mud is slung.[/QUOTE]

I loathe closing threads unless absolutely necessary.

bread's done
Back