Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got it without issues, much smoother than Blue Rider.  IMO, the price is way better than LRG and what's important is that I'm actually buying games I want to play, loving the new PA exclusives so far!

Yea... if you haven't picked up a copy of Blue Rider and you're on the fence, I'd snag that, too.

This could be the start of something significant in the collecting world with Play Asia. Could end up like early LRG titles.

If LRG released Blue Rider exactly like Play Asia it would most likely be $45. Play Asia has a good thing going and I hope it continues to grow a great library of games.
Love LRG and will probably continue to support them, but it's always healthy for us costumers to see some competition, and really pleased with how they have handled everything this time around. Only thing that would be nice would be to have two order windows like LRG to make it a little more friendly for those of us in Euro time zones. Then again shipping is only a 1/3rd of the prize of LRG for me so in that sense they are already very ROW friendly. Overall just very happy with the range of physical releases the PS4 is getting, great time to be a gamer imo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grabbed my copy of Castilla last night. Contemplated buying two of them, because if it does sell out super quick we are going to see a bunch of people on here upset and asking if any CAG's have an extra. But considering Blue Rider has lasted, there should be enough time for the people of this community to get one, if they check these threads often enough. 

Did anyone else's order of Rogue Stormers get cancelled by Amazon due to insufficient stock? Did it get cancelled? They still have the Xbox version up.

Just placed my order for Cursed Castilla.  Seems odd that they have sold through 2000 copies already when Blue Rider (print of 2500) has been in stock since its preorder began several weeks ago.

Just placed my order for Cursed Castilla. Seems odd that they have sold through 2000 copies already when Blue Rider (print of 2500) has been in stock since its preorder began several weeks ago.
Definitely weird this one is selling out faster... but maybe a lot of people never bothered to try for BR after the initial fiasco?

I debated about getting 2 but went with 1. Now after reading that email, I'm wondering if I should have gotten two again.

Could be that more people are aware of this one. BR was really their first limited print that they advertised as such. Maybe they just didn't reach enough people the first time around.

Got my order in for Cursed Castilla EX this morning with no issues.

Really liked the quality of Blue Rider release and can't wait to see what other games they might publish in the future.

well, I ordered Bayonetta 2 from Gamestop, and they delivered me a loose Bayonetta 1 wiiu disc instead lol, not sure if I should complain or just flip the disc, I do already have a copy tho :\

Did you sign up for the preorder? If so, they emailed you a special URL to preorder, and you have to be signed into your PA account for it to show the "add to cart" button.
No but I saw that it was from the 18th til today. Is it too late to sign up? I couldn't find a link to click to sign up.

No but I saw that it was from the 18th til today. Is it too late to sign up? I couldn't find a link to click to sign up.
wedding-crashers-wtf.gif

I checked pretty late last night and thought it was sold out.  Turns out I forgot to log into my PA account and tried it again this morning when I saw the 1000 remaining email.  Thanks to people for the reminders about logging in and such.

The only really I see that this game sold out whereas Blue Rider did not, is the audience is more fond of a GnG type game and the actual gameplay of Blue Rider, despite being a schmup, is a different enough that it is probably the contributing factor less folks were interested. 

It's weird that all 3 of these PA preorders has failed to charge my saved card correctly and I've had to switch to PayPal. Yet an "in stock" item that I purchased recently went through with no problem. :whistle2:k

well, I ordered Bayonetta 2 from Gamestop, and they delivered me a loose Bayonetta 1 wiiu disc instead lol, not sure if I should complain or just flip the disc, I do already have a copy tho :\
If it's in good condition, and if you can sale it for more, I say go for it. If it's not worth your time and effort, by all means give GS the what for, as that would be good to(as they more than deserve it). LOL

Yeah, Soldner X2 with reversible cover is the first one, but Blue Rider and Cursed Castilla are CEs (the packaging and contents are consistent). I guess that's why numbered releases are better, like comic books, haha.

Anyhow, anyone know how we order this in the US?

http://badlandindie.com/the-sexy-brutale-full-house-edition/
That link you provided has retailers on the bottom. I just ordered it through Game without an issue. (Game can be hit or miss with packaging, but I think it's the only retailer listed that will ship it to the US since the Amazon.co.uk listing has a restriction on it for some reason.) Thanks for the link, BTW.

That link you provided has retailers on the bottom. I just ordered it through Game without an issue. (Game can be hit or miss with packaging, but I think it's the only retailer listed that will ship it to the US since the Amazon.co.uk listing has a restriction on it for some reason.) Thanks for the link, BTW.
Amazon.UK and 365 Games sell it as well and will ship to the US. That Amazon.UK warning about not shipping to the US is not accurate. For some reason their site does that on random items.

Cursed Castilla is sold out.

I hope no one had the disgusting idea of buying two and reselling the extra copy. Everyone who missed out on the game should be stuck with a 0% chance of buying it on secondary markets because resellers are hurting everyone on this planet sooooo much.

Who do these people think they are, trying to buy items at low prices and then selling them at a profit? Only corporations are allowed to do that.

I was going to grab CC, as I'm a huge G&G fan, and the game looked good enough, but I just couldn't pull the trigger, as I just don't want to start buying PS4 games. And I'm sure once I actually get a PS4, CC will have it's fair share of discounts for the digital game, so I'll just get it down the road.

I'm glad to see it sold as quick as it did, as I would love to see some more physical Vita games from PA in the future as well.

So... maybe I'm just stupid or something, but how can Play-Asia claim Soldner X2 is an exclusive title when it was released by LRG first?
Maybe it's just because of the exclusive cover variant? This is their announcement on it though: http://www.play-asia.com/s%C3%B6ldner-x-2-final-prototype-for-psvita-play-asia-com-exclusive/5f/748lh

It definitely seems like what they're claiming as exclusive number one, but I can't say for sure on what basis.
LRG's exclusivity lies with the case artwork- they get rights to print X number of copies using said artwork and will only do 1 run. If a developer wants a 2nd run, LRG can say no, but there's nothing stopping that developer from going to another publisher (like EastAsiaSoft did by going to PA). There are exceptions to this, I think.

Shocked CC sold out so fast when BR is still around.

bread's done
Back