Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think almost all of what they posted was part of that social experiment/art project. I don't believe for a second that they really had financial issues or confusion about what their logo should be or anything else. It was definitely an attempt at humor, although it really didn't work that well because again, they failed to reach a large audience and most people were more confused than amused.
Right, the logos were clearly made in jest. But that still doesn't explain why the game wouldn't be left available. They didn't reach their audience in 12 hours so.... stop selling? Wouldn't the appropriate thing be just to leave the game up for sale?

I think almost all of what they posted was part of that social experiment/art project. I don't believe for a second that they really had financial issues or confusion about what their logo should be or anything else. It was definitely an attempt at humor, although it really didn't work that well because again, they failed to reach a large audience and most people were more confused than amused.
I agree that it felt like a social experiment. I'm still weirded out that the developer seemed to be in on it. I contacted them directly, and got this response:

9e53ebe1731b28329c3cd62c53a41576.jpg

Right, the logos were clearly made in jest. But that still doesn't explain why the game wouldn't be left available. They didn't reach their audience in 12 hours so.... stop selling? Wouldn't the appropriate thing be just to leave the game up for sale?
Again, it's all part of the social experiment. They really weren't interested in maximizing sales or necessarily making any sales at all. I'm sure those copies will eventually turn up somewhere. Heck, if they really only sold a couple hundred as I have heard, those remaining copies could be very, very valuable.

I woulda bought a copy if I'd seen it tbh, my supressed collector sense would have said I had to, joke shit like that appreciates in value immensely

I woulda bought a copy if I'd seen it tbh, my supressed collector sense would have said I had to, joke shit like that appreciates in value immensely
I was debating it... I honestly should have. There's really no risk with PayPal and it would certainly at least hold its value if it's shipped. I was just in world of confusion and honestly didn't expect it to be pulled when it was.

Again, it's all part of the social experiment. They really weren't interested in maximizing sales or necessarily making any sales at all. I'm sure those copies will eventually turn up somewhere. Heck, if they really only sold a couple hundred as I have heard, those remaining copies could be very, very valuable.
That's a f*ckin' expensive social experiment. It's gotta be several thousand dollars, at least, to get a game printed by Sony.

I was debating it... I honestly should have. There's really no risk with PayPal and it would certainly at least hold its value if it's shipped. I was just in world of confusion and honestly didn't expect it to be pulled when it was.

That's a f*ckin' expensive social experiment. It's gotta be several thousand dollars, at least, to get a game printed by Sony.
For sure. Having said that, I think the trickier part would actually be jumping through all the hoops between ESRB and Sony and the replication facility which is leading some to speculate that one of the limited game companies might have had a hand in this. It will be very interesting to see what shows up at buyer's doors in late April.

I'm actually still not convinced that it's real. I would've posted the "deal" for you guys if I actually believed it was real at the time.

Only now am I thinking that it might actually have been a decent marketing move if it's legit. They can claim they don't have access to the rest of the copies, only for them to miraculously turn up in overpriced eBay listings. Super slimey if that's the case, but profitable in the short term I guess.

Borderlands GoTY looks to be sold out online now from Gamestop. Wonder if I place a 2K store order if it will arrive by tomorrow even though it says it will lol
I think prob too late now, but I just got tracking info for mine. Too soon too say but it's ups. Not in the system yet. Maybe it's overnight.

I think prob too late now, but I just got tracking info for mine. Too soon too say but it's ups. Not in the system yet. Maybe it's overnight.
Yea I am gonna try my luck when my store opens tomorrow. They have two copies but can't pre order them at all. First come first serve lol.

Yea I am gonna try my luck when my store opens tomorrow. They have two copies but can't pre order them at all. First come first serve lol.
Woah it's actually overnighted. I really didn't expect that. Glad I saved myself the trouble. Good luck bud! I'm sure this will be a wider release than this initial one.

Darksiders on Switch has a print defect where the spine is black instead of red. Could become rare to have one of these first printings with the wrong cover.

Darksiders on Switch has a print defect where the spine is black instead of red. Could become rare to have one of these first printings with the wrong cover.
Interesting - do we know if this is something they plan to correct? I actually just purchased this game last night from Best Buy after seeing it was released (flew under my radar).

Trying to figure out how to add a pic via this ancient chat page and the fact that I hate my wife made me switch to iphone...ignore my post above. 🤦‍♂️

https://nintendosoup.com/darksiders-warmastered-edition-printing-error-results-in-retail-copies-with-black-spines/amp/

This site shows THQ replying to someone to ask where they got the black spine cover. It seems like this was an error they will fix. Got mine from Best Buy today and it has the black spine, but I had to ask someone to grab one out of the back because they weren’t out on display. They might pull these back and fix to red. At the very least the 2nd run will fix it I’m sure.

https://nintendosoup.com/darksiders-warmastered-edition-printing-error-results-in-retail-copies-with-black-spines/amp/

This site shows THQ replying to someone to ask where they got the black spine cover. It seems like this was an error they will fix. Got mine from Best Buy today and it has the black spine, but I had to ask someone to grab one out of the back because they weren’t out on display. They might pull these back and fix to red. At the very least the 2nd run will fix it I’m sure.
Cool, thanks for the info! I think the black spine looks really nice - hopefully that is the one Best Buy ships me.

Aren't there rules against that sort of thing?  Or else everything on Switch wouldn't have those boring red spines and covers that also have the same font. 

Doubt it will be super rare.  If people think it is, the market will be flooded with them in about 2 hours lol.

In other news, Borderlands GotY seems to be super limited via Gamestop.  Went this am and grabbed the last PS4 copy they had.  They got 2 total, and only 1 XB1 copy.  Maybe 2k didn't want to send them a bunch of copies because they know Gamestop is going down the shitter lol.

My copy of Borderlands GotY Xbox One I ordered from the 2K store was delivered this morning.
So overnight delivery for $2 is a great deal.

Doubt it will be super rare. If people think it is, the market will be flooded with them in about 2 hours lol.

In other news, Borderlands GotY seems to be super limited via Gamestop. Went this am and grabbed the last PS4 copy they had. They got 2 total, and only 1 XB1 copy. Maybe 2k didn't want to send them a bunch of copies because they know Gamestop is going down the shitter lol.
This turned into a major cluster. Gamestop wouldn't let you pre-order, but then employees at ALL EIGHT of the easily drive-able stores around me had employees ignore this and 'hold' them for customers before release. So I got to my favorite store of the bunch this morning at opening to try to get one of the 3 that I knew they were getting. The manger was super angry and dropping F-bombs (not at me, but over the situation). Not a single copy anywhere near me is available due to this nonsense. Hopefully it ends up restocking online.

This turned into a major cluster. Gamestop wouldn't let you pre-order, but then employees at ALL EIGHT of the easily drive-able stores around me had employees ignore this and 'hold' them for customers before release. So I got to my favorite store of the bunch this morning at opening to try to get one of the 3 that I knew they were getting. The manger was super angry and dropping F-bombs (not at me, but over the situation). Not a single copy anywhere near me is available due to this nonsense. Hopefully it ends up restocking online.
There's a new listing for the PS4 version that says "Ships by 4/19": https://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/borderlands-game-of-the-year-edition-only-at-gamestop-ships-by-4-19/175290

I really don't think this is gonna be as limited as people are suggesting, Borderlands is a huge franchise wouldn't make much sense for them to get exclusivity at retail then not restock at all while it's so hyped

edit: worst part to me is just the stupid high gamestop.com shipping if you can't find it in store right this second

Thanks for the info. Bought one - not to play but to pay for my youngest's college in 2033.
They will be able to go to any college of their choice, good move

Did any of you that ordered the Poop Slinger game hear anything further yet

They will be able to go to any college of their choice, good move

Did any of you that ordered the Poop Slinger game hear anything further yet
You know what they say about investing. Diversify diversify diversify. Not too many investments have a copy of Darksiders misprint. Now if only I had a physical copy of Poop Slinger too...

When did SRG end preorders for The Messenger? I only knew about the LRG variant but wasn't interested. $35 for the game, outerbox, and hardcover book on the other hand seems like a nice set and I would have grabbed one.

I was still able to get The Messenger on the morning of April 3rd from LRG lol
Guess they flubbed their timer or tried to do the "sell to the nearest 1,000" thing, then. They definitely advertised it closing at the end of the day on the 2nd:

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/1113087474698465282

Has anyone every gotten sample game from play-asia?  They told me thats the only version they have of  Sword and Fairy 6.  I preordered too.

Has anyone every gotten sample game from play-asia? They told me thats the only version they have of Sword and Fairy 6. I preordered too.
They offered me a sample copy once when I had an order never get delivered and they didn't have stock of the actual game left

Must be a manufacturing delay. My store only got PS/XB copies for this week.
Yeah, my preorder was for the Switch version. I did notice that at least one other retailer (Bull Moose) pushed back the release date of all 3 versions to 4/23.

Must be a manufacturing delay. My store only got PS/XB copies for this week.
Know if it's same or different cover art than gamestop? Does the gamestop one have any difference?

I have a sealed switch copy I've been saving. Just saving for myself, not to resell or anything. I'm curious if mine is different.

bread's done
Back