Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Deals and Discussion Thread

AugustAPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
The Indie/Limited/Obscure Physical Release Thread
 ​
Physical media may not be as popular as it was in years past, but that has not stopped it from finding success in more niche areas of the market. In fact, we're seeing so many physical releases, these days, that it has become difficult for even dedicated collectors to keep up with all of them. Many games, usually indie titles, are seeing releases with highly limited prints, regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity or are simply appearing with little notification. The purpose of this thread is to identify, catalogue, discuss and post deals for these releases, in hopes of making information more accessible and supporting the medium.​
 ​

FAQ

Q: tl;dr

A: There are probably games that were released physically that you don't know about. Find them here.

Q: What is the "master list"?

A: The master list is a catalogue of all the games that have been identified here that meet certain criteria that differentiates them from standard, mainstream releases. It offers information regarding regional exclusivity, retailer exclusivity, print quantities and more.

Q: What are the criteria? How do you decide which games make the list?

A: For the most part, these will be "smaller" titles that were originally released as digital-only but have been given a physical release. Some exceptions may apply, like if an indie game launches with a physical release, it will likely be listed. Another exception would see a larger title that was only released digitally, for whatever reason, get a limited physical release (example: if Limited Run Games did a print of Fatal Frame V.)

Generally if a game is, as the title says, indie, limited or obscure and has a physical release, you'll see in on the "master list."

Also, the game must be region-free or NTSC-U and in English (subtitles are valid).

Q: Region free or NTSC-U? Doesn't that mean the list is only valid for North American users?

A: This means that every game on the list will be playable on North American consoles, though a few games may have versions that are region-locked on a certain console (this will be noted). Most games are now region free, so if you aren't from the NTSC-U region, it's very likely that the game will work for you. Knowledge of which systems do and don't have region-locking should allow anyone to make use of this list.

Q: What about games for collectors who aren't in the NTSC-U (North American) region or own consoles that can play region-locked games?

A: There may be a separate tab for you guys down the line. One step at a time.

Pre-Orders/Upcoming Releases

Notable Publishers/Distributors

iam8bit

A retailer, located in California, that sells all sorts of limited edition video game merchandise. They occasionally publish physical, indie titles for the PS4.

Limited Run Games

Based in California, Limited Run Games is generally accepted as the company that started the modern trend of releasing physical games in limited quantities. Currently, they publish several games a month but have stated they intend to ramp down. Their games come with collectible, trading cards and are sometimes offered alongside soundtracks, collector's editions and other related merchandise. The two heads of the company are very active on different forums and regularly engage with the community. They currently publish games for the PS4, PS Vita, Nintendo Switch and occasionally the PC.

Play-Asia

Play-Asia is an established retailer located in Hong Kong. They are well known for offering a large variety of imported merchandise, including many games that have not seen western releases but have English subtitles. They've recently partnered with eastasiasoft to distribute exclusive and limited, physical releases. These games are often offered with collector's editions which are highly praised for their presentation, content and low prices.

Special Reserve Games

A company based in Texas, Special Reserve Games currently publishes games in limited quantities with no discernible schedule. Their games are frequently offered alongside collector's editions. They also collaborate with Limited Run Games to create variant covers for some of their titles, which are then sold via Limited Run Games' website. They currently publish for the PS4, PS Vita and PC.

Strictly Limited Games

Based in Germany, Strictly Limited Games seems to publish one title a month with varied but highly limited quantities. Collector's editions and soundtracks are sometimes offered alongside game releases. They've published games for the PS4 and PS Vita.

Super Rare Games

Located in London, these guys are relatively new to the limited game market. Similar to Limited Run Games, they include trading cards and stickers with their games. They publish only for the Nintendo Switch and intend to release one game a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like Stranger Things is being de-listed from digital stores so it can go on some Netflix Gaming App.  If you want it physical, best buy still has the PS4 version in stock for $20.99.

Sounds like Stranger Things is being de-listed from digital stores so it can go on some Netflix Gaming App. If you want it physical, best buy still has the PS4 version in stock for $20.99.
Thanks for the heads up. I can see Netflix doing that though it sucks for consumers. Do want physical but have been waiting for it to keep dropping in price.

Fafnir knight already sold out. I actually have a sealed copy of hatsune miku with the bonus stuff I got from Walmart clearance a while back for $15-$20, though the best way I can describe the outer box is "its seen better days"

Fafnir knight already sold out. I actually have a sealed copy of hatsune miku with the bonus stuff I got from Walmart clearance a while back for $15-$20, though the best way I can describe the outer box is "its seen better days"
I can still check out with Fafnir Knight.

I just found this thread and had a question (apologies if it's already been asked): There are some Xbox One games that had limited print runs or were only released in Europe. Would they qualify for this thread?

I just found this thread and had a question (apologies if it's already been asked): There are some Xbox One games that had limited print runs or were only released in Europe. Would they qualify for this thread?
If you find any more they absolutely belong here. There just aren't as many because the small boutique companies generally skip out on Xbox releases, reportedly because Microsoft's minimum order quantity is way higher than Nintendo's or Sony's. That's the only reason there's so little Xbox discussion in this thread.

There were a bunch more games listed on Play-Asia that I skipped either because they were pre-orders or because they seemed like vaporware (not available to buy anywhere so possibly it was canceled but product page never taken down), but if I find any more, I’ll post here again.

If you find any more they absolutely belong here. There just aren't as many because the small boutique companies generally skip out on Xbox releases, reportedly because Microsoft's minimum order quantity is way higher than Nintendo's or Sony's. That's the only reason there's so little Xbox discussion in this thread.
It seems like Pixelheart has a few more limited games coming out for Xbox One in Europe.

https://www.pixelheart.eu/shop/?filter_plate-forme=xbox-one

I would get the SLG version of Deathsmiles since it will have the DLC on disc, but I still have 7 unfulfilled orders with them dating back over a year. I think I'm about done with them until they can get their crap together and start shipping out some games rather than keep offering up way more games than they can ship. At this point I am starting to question if I will ever get some of the games I've paid for, or if SLG is so poorly run they will go belly up before many of their games ever get made and shipped. LRG may have its faults, but at least I have great confidence that I will at least receive my shit at some point. SLG has gone from initially being my favorite limited print games company to being one that is being run like a 3-ring circus. I'll stick with Play Asia for Deathsmiles.

I would get the SLG version of Deathsmiles since it will have the DLC on disc, but I still have 7 unfulfilled orders with them dating back over a year. I think I'm about done with them until they can get their crap together and start shipping out some games rather than keep offering up way more games than they can ship. At this point I am starting to question if I will ever get some of the games I've paid for, or if SLG is so poorly run they will go belly up before many of their games ever get made and shipped. LRG may have its faults, but at least I have great confidence that I will at least receive my shit at some point. SLG has gone from initially being my favorite limited print games company to being one that is being run like a 3-ring circus. I'll stick with Play Asia for Deathsmiles.
I'm with you there. I mostly hate how they have fully embraced the CE full of crap offerings that LRG is throwing out every chance the get. All the while, they still haven't fully addressed their own logistics issues before covid was a thing.

I used to pick up one or two CE's from them, but now everyone offers the exact same shit: 2 sided posters and acrylic standees; instead of something actually unique and interesting.

I stopped buying from them after the bite the bullet. They shipped out a broken version of the game and I’m still waiting for the replacement they promised.

I still get a majority of items that Special Reserve sells. Just got Talos Principle in the mail on Friday. IMO they are the gold standard

I still get a majority of items that Special Reserve sells. Just got Talos Principle in the mail on Friday. IMO they are the gold standard
Disregarding that most of their stuff over the last year has been complete shovelware, $40 shovelware at that, they do package/market the games nicely.

I feel exactly the same ! I’m still waiting on my Turrican collection ! Along with 5 other orders. I wanted to order from them but realized why wait a year plus and pay almost double for a game when I can just order from Play Asia. Waiting over a year for multiple orders is inexcusable. It feels like a pyramid scheme to me.

bread's done
Back