iPad game sales-see the new iOS combined thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
chain link HD was released for .99 and it is really really good. You drag like shapes together to create chains while avoiding the wrong shapes. You can use both hands to make 2 chains at once. You unlock power ups by achieving certain goals, similar to tilt to live. There are openfeint achievements and leaderboards. I highly recommend this game for a buck, its a real showcase of what the ipad's larger screen and multitouch controls can do.

heres a video of the iphone version(the ipad's screen allows for much bigger chains because of its size):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSUOMOPpvFw&feature=player_embedded

Also, Chicktionary was added to the app store and is free with paid DLC. Its a decent word game.

[quote name='caltab']Also, Chicktionary was added to the app store and is free with paid DLC. Its a decent word game.[/QUOTE]
Thanks. My mom plays Chicktionary every day. I'm still trying to decide if I get an iPad or not, so if I do she'll love playing Chicktionary on it :)

-Update-
Nvm, looked at the pricing. You get 12 puzzles free, then they charge you $.99 for every 100 puzzles... what a rip. I wrote a java robot that can play Chicktionary and it could make up hundreds of puzzles in a few seconds. They should have charged the same flat $1.99 fee as the iPhone version with no dlc. Well my dad has an iphone so I'll tell him to get it for her.

Last edited by a moderator:
The issue with Chicktionary for me is that there are like 12 or 13 DLC all at $0.99 making it an extremely expensive app. Although the game that is being offered free is not bad.

Off topic: So to the guys who got the ipad, how is it? Is it a remarkable piece of technology, or just, like alot of people said earlier, and oversized Ipod touch?

[quote name='LakersForLife82481']Off topic: So to the guys who got the ipad, how is it? Is it a remarkable piece of technology, or just, like alot of people said earlier, and oversized Ipod touch?[/QUOTE]

Right now, it's an oversized iPod Touch. Honestly, I'm surprised there aren't sidetalking-like sites w/ pictures of people "making calls" using the iPad. Now, that said, the moment they put multitasking on the device, it instantly becomes the best electronic music instrument *ever made*. iELECTRIBE is insane, and if I could run that synced up with Beatwave, it'd have justified its entire cost in that one combo.

I'm actually really disappointed with the first wave of apps - it's probably because testing apps on the emulator for multitouch basically sucks, but none of them really show the potential of the device at this point. The reason that a big multitouch surface has huge potential is because you can make things much, much more tactile. Take a look at the page turning in iBook, for instance - how come there aren't more games that *feel* like that?

Once people wrap their heads around it and really blow out the multitouch aspect of things, it's going to get much, much better.

seppo

Apple products do not depreciate in value as quickly as other computer technologies. When Apple releases their next iPad (most likely in 12 months or so), I bet I'll be able to sell my $499 iPad on Craigslist for $425-$450 easily. Hopefully at that time, iPads will come in flavors of 32, 64, and 128 for the same price as the current 16/32/64 models.

But anyhow, after using the iPad for 4 days now (on my 5th), it really is a great device. It already replaced my netbook for casual web surfing and news reading. It will never replace my netbook or desktop for productivity applications. No, it is not a laptop replacement and people who think so are fooling themselves. Used as a tool for web, news, and media consumption, I've never used anything better than an Apple iPad.

To stay (marginally) on topic, I highly recommend Goodreader for $0.99. It's a PDF reader, and I assume most people who invested in an iPad are using it for more than games and welcome a great PDF reader. Reviews are stellar in the iTunes store.

But all it does is read PDFs, correct?

If you need to annotate them/highlight them check out iAnnotate. It's awesome.

How's Doons HD Deluxe? It's on sale for .99.

[quote name='seanr1221']But all it does is read PDFs, correct?

How's Doons HD Deluxe? It's on sale for .99.[/QUOTE]

there's a lite version to try, its like snood...I didn't like it very much.

Uno HD and Lets Golf both dropped to 4.99 from 6.99, don't know if they are permanent or not.

Also, Anytime Golf is free right now.

Can't freakin' wait for PuzzleQuest HD. I assume it's coming out, though... Nothing confirmed.. Please please please...

Regarding good reader its an excellent app for 99c. It has no problem reading any of my PDF some upwards of 200mb.

Both Metal Gear Touch and Zombie Attack Second Wave are universal apps. I can't stand double dipping and I really wish more games were universal :(

Another great non-game freebie is Wikipanion. On the iPhone it's simple, but on the iPad, it's the best Wikipedia article reading experience I've ever had. The subtle shadows underneath the pictures and the navigation boxes are beautiful.

Come on ppl tell me some of the good iPad stuff. I saw a MMO for the iPad. Cant recall its name though. I wonder if its worth a DL?

You think the iPad sucks until you play with one in person. It's beautiful.

My friend has one, she brought that thing over and I fell in love instantly. It's such a luxury! Touch Grind HD is SICKLY. I'm deff buying one, but will probably wait a year for the 2nd gens.

[quote name='daminion']There's nothing wrong with the Marvel app. That article just talks about how sharing comics cannot be done with this app. Welcome to the digital age dumbass. This will come eventually for most media. It's as true an argument to say that [insert download only title here] sucks only because you cannot share it with a friend after you've beaten it.

I'm not even into comic books, but I downloaded this app and my son enjoyed it for a good 2 hours reading through the free comics. Was wonderful while waiting for seating at the restaurant.[/QUOTE]

What kind of restaurant that requires you to wait a good 2 hours? To me, you're too good to be a cheap ass. No problem buying an iPad, eating out (somewhere fancy i reckon), man, life is good for you i guess :)

A lot of ill sentiments toward the iPad have to do with the price and the notion that it's the Apps that make the device great.

I have no doubt the iPad is a great device (i have the Touch and i can associate the experience). But ask yourself this... without the 3rd party apps that allow you manage your pdf or media files, is the iPad (or iPhone, Touch) really that great?

For the people can't afford one, of course it's a sour grape thing. For those buying one just to admire the King's naked clothes, they are worse than those with the sour grape problem.

The way i see it, people enjoying the iPad because:

• they can afford it and they can buy Apps without hesitations (if you have no money problems, there's no reason to hate anything, really)
  • they save money to get one or buy it on credit and they know how to use Google... Translation? Almost all of the Apps are free, lite or under few bucks

[quote name='Serpentor']What kind of restaurant that requires you to wait a good 2 hours? To me, you're too good to be a cheap ass. No problem buying an iPad, eating out (somewhere fancy i reckon), man, life is good for you i guess :)

A lot of ill sentiments toward the iPad have to do with the price and the notion that it's the Apps that make the device great.

I have no doubt the iPad is a great device (i have the Touch and i can associate the experience). But ask yourself this... without the 3rd party apps that allow you manage your pdf or media files, is the iPad (or iPhone, Touch) really that great?

For the people can't afford one, of course it's a sour grape thing. For those buying one just to admire the King's naked clothes, they are worse than those with the sour grape problem.

The way i see it, people enjoying the iPad because:

• they can afford it and they can buy Apps without hesitations (if you have no money problems, there's no reason to hate anything, really)
  • they save money to get one or buy it on credit and they know how to use Google... Translation? Almost all of the Apps are free, lite or under few bucks
[/QUOTE]

Some restaurant are asses if don't reserve I had to wait for 5 hours once on mothers day because family forgot to reserve, went to McDonald after the waiting.

The ipad is also very practical for ppl who go to school, instead of caring 5 books they carry one.

Just played the MMO iPad game Pocket Legends. Gr8 game, my fave iPad game so far. Several good ideas in it. Plays smooth.

[quote name='BluePotato']I bought a screen protector from handhelditems. they also sell them cheaply at dealextreme.[/QUOTE]

I just ordered a one from them. How's the quality?

Picked up Fieldrunner HD & Harbormaster HD. Like them both. Never played Fieldrunner on iPhone so this was gr8. I like HM better than Flight Control.

[quote name='caltab']knights of the phantom castle by hudson soft is on sale for 4.99 from 9.99. Its a strategy game that has gone pretty much unnoticed by everyone, but has cool looking screen shots...i'm tempted to pick it up.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/knights-of-the-phantom-castle/id364183462?mt=8[/QUOTE]

(*&#$&*#()#%&#(#*&#(*%&

You have GOT to be F***ING kidding me! I just bought this last night around 10pm! I was waiting for it to go on sale, but gave up and broke down.

Figures...

As for the game itself, it's fantastic! I love the 8-bit style graphics, and the music is excellent. I'm not too far into the game proper yet (having just bought it last night, grrr), but it seems to be fairly deep and complex.

You start off working your way through a series of training levels and receive grades for your performance. The writing has a great sense of humor in the training levels -- you'll see! The game has a top-down view and has your knights battling through each area's monsters to win and clear the area to move on to the next. There can be many areas making up each section, with many sections making up the world map. Your knights are made up of different classes like warriors, archers, healers, etc. all with different attacks and special abilities. You gain different weapons and items as you go along, as well as stats on all the creatures you battle which is tracked in the robust menu system.

The gameplay itself is like an Action-RPG mixed with tactics. Not grid-based like Advance Wars, but there is a strategy to your battles that you have to figure out, and you are graded on each of your battles.

Overall, based on what I've played this is definitely worth your $5 bucks. ...and even $10 :mad:

I am working from home today and needed to change my home IP and noted that my iPad stays constantly connected to my wifi even when in its sleep mode (for lack of a better term). This could really impact the battery. Is this normal. What are you guys seeing?

Can someone link me to a good screen protector that they use. I went to deals and amazon and see a great many at each but not much of a rating on any.

I so wish Twitterific was better on iPad. I am using Tweetdeck instead -for now. I also wish Facebook would update with an iPad version. It looks like crap stretched.

Thanks for the impressions of knights, gonna pick it up now...also, while an iPhone game, unify is a cool tetris variant that is free right now that does very well doubled on the iPad screen because of it's simplistic graphics.

Moonlight Mahjong is 99c and is awesome (if you like Mahjong). Starts with 90 layouts and more can be added that users create at no extra cost. Again this app. looks great and the touch controls make it very interesting (turning the pile to get to tiles on different levels) Highly recommend.

[quote name='BREVITY']Is Knights a FFT type game. I cant tell from the screens.[/QUOTE]

No, I tried to explain it in my brief review. There are no grids and it's not turn based like FFT or Advance Wars. Otherwise, it has very similar mechanics, except you're moving your guys around on the fly without time to think out each and every move.

It's an action-strategy game. It's like the difference between a regular RPG and and Action-RPG.

[quote name='seanr1221']But all it does is read PDFs, correct?

If you need to annotate them/highlight them check out iAnnotate. It's awesome.

How's Doons HD Deluxe? It's on sale for .99.[/QUOTE]

If PDF stands for "win sauce" then yes, yes it does just read PDFs.

[quote name='BREVITY']I am working from home today and needed to change my home IP and noted that my iPad stays constantly connected to my wifi even when in its sleep mode (for lack of a better term). This could really impact the battery. Is this normal. What are you guys seeing?
[/QUOTE]

Not an issue. Well, I haven't checked if mine does the same (stays connected) but last week I only used for browsing, the whole week, and I only used like 70% of the battery, and the iPad stayed at home the whole week.

Battle of the Block is now free from 2.99, its a cross between black jack and war with cool presentation. Not much depth, but worth a look if you like this sort of thing.

soosiz HD is on sale from 4.99 to 2.99, if you dont have the original version and like platformers, this is an absolute must buy.

also, mini touch golf, a universal app, is free atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back