iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
Newer than 3.1.3? Because that just got released a week ago. If you're jailbreaking, you already knew about it :p. if you're jailbreaking and didn't know about it, then it's time to stop jailbreaking because you don't care anyway :p.

Great Giana Sisters just rolled out for $5. It's a modern version of the old Mario ripoff and looks like a port of the DS game. The DS game never came to America legitimately but I can tell you I loved the hell out of it. It was simple, but it was the most fun platformer I've played in years, easily topping most of the lackluster stuff we've seen as of late (The Castlevanias, MM9, even giving NSMB Wii a run for its money.). Do keep an eye on this one. I thought it was really solid on the DS and am looking at buying this one.

[quote name='Tallawah']Ground Effect v1.2 Lite is out! It's been updated to include OpenFeint and it's FREE![/QUOTE]

It's showing as $1.99 for me.

robocalypse is on sale for .99, a rts well worth a buck.

Also, I've finally gotten around to playing Space Miner today for a few hours, it is more than most want to spend at 4.99, but it is an absolute gem, easily one of the best iphone games I've ever played. It's an rpg asteroid game and extremely addictive, the game mechanics are very good, but the RPG elements are what really keeps me glued...90 of its 93 reviews are 5 stars. I highly, highly recommend this game.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Tallawah']The Lite is definitely free and has 4 levels. The full version is $1.99.[/QUOTE]

From Twitter: Full version promo codes for the first 5 Lite users who can complete the free levels in under 7 mins 30 secs. Scores must be registered inside OpenFeint to claim a prize.

GC_Ground Effect is the dev's ID. :)

Just won Hellkid. Kinda wish I'd have scored Wesnoth but Hellkid was my second choice.

Apart from the awful BLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLU constant repeated sounds (Fortunately toggleable), it's like Canabalt went to a sperm bank and got Hook Champ's seed implanted in it and opens at a reasonable 99 cents (Better than Canabalt's unreasonable $3... Soon to go up though). Watch a video and you'll figure out what Hellkid is like so you can decide if that's your thing.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Just won Hellkid. Kinda wish I'd have scored Wesnoth but Hellkid was my second choice.

Apart from the awful BLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLUBLU constant repeated sounds (Fortunately toggleable), it's like Canabalt went to a sperm bank and got Hook Champ's seed implanted in it and opens at a reasonable 99 cents (Better than Canabalt's unreasonable $3... Soon to go up though). Watch a video and you'll figure out what Hellkid is like so you can decide if that's your thing.[/QUOTE]

I just happened to catch the latest episode of Bytejacker (http://www.bytejacker.com/) and they mentioned 'Hellkid: Hook and Jump'. Looks pretty cool, think I might drop the $1 on it, since it'll go up in price some time.

Like I said, it plays almost exactly as it looks in trailers, for better or worse. Give it a try for a dollar if it looks your thing. Also, i recommend Crush The Castle if you liked Angry Birds. It is the same game but with a trebuchet. Good fun

[quote name='mailman27']Galaga REMIX, Ridge Racer, and Time Crisis Strike are on Sale for a buck each. Also Ace Combat dropped to 2.99[/QUOTE]
Interesting. Anyone try these?

Tons of Namco games are 99 cents right now: Dig-Dug Remix, Pac-Man Remix, Pac-Man CE, Garters & Ghouls, plus the aforementioned games.

BTW Ridge Racer is apparently ridiculously hard and thus not a great game.

[quote name='DtotheP']Has anyone played Castle Frenzy? It looks pretty sexy.[/QUOTE]

Not a bad game. Plays like more other "defend the castle" games. You can grab enemies and smash them into the ground or wall or feed them to dragons. You use money and souls to buy upgrades and magic. The missions are all about defending your castle, except for the addition of a new power or enemy. It's a very well done game and have enjoyed it thus far. If you like defend your castle games, you'll probably like this.

Castle Frenzy is alright but I didn't find the 3D in it as charming as Knights Onrush. Neither game is all that substantial though.

Even the insulting $4 DLC pack nonsense is not quite enough to make Pac-Man CE a bad buy at $1. Get it. I think you'll like it.

Time Crisis Iphone sucked. It is a little less than a $1's play at an arcade machine. Best game you'll get from that is to start it during a TV movie commercial break and see if you can beat it before the end of that commercial break.

I'll bet you the cost of the game you'll succeed.

[quote name='caltab']Across Age was just released for 6.99, looks like a Zelda type game, people have been talking about this one for months, I'm gonna wait on reviews before I buy it.[/QUOTE]

Looks a lot like Ys to me: The combat, the town style... The thing is, nobody has been able to duplicate the quality of the original Ys Book I & II -- including developer Falcom.

[quote name='ViolentLee']Looks a lot like Ys to me: The combat, the town style... The thing is, nobody has been able to duplicate the quality of the original Ys Book I & II -- including developer Falcom.[/QUOTE]

OKAY SON

HERE IS THE LINE

AND YOU SON ARE JUST WAY THE HELL SO FAR OVER THERE BEYOND THE LINE YOU FORGOT WHAT THE LINE LOOKED LIKE.

The VERY next sentence out of your mouth better be "But I've never played Oath in Felghana or Ark of Napishtim" or you and I are gonna go outside and throw down.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/RollingSkull/1222039347484.jpg This post in image form.

[quote name='ViolentLee']Looks a lot like Ys to me: The combat, the town style... The thing is, nobody has been able to duplicate the quality of the original Ys Book I & II -- including developer Falcom.[/QUOTE]

Ya, the developer posted in another forum Ys is his inspiration, I'm actually not familiar with Ys but people seem to be giving this game pretty good early praise.

Also, Bliss is free for valentines day, its a decent little puzzle match game.

Bird Strike added an endless mode, which makes that little doodle jump style gem that much better- it's not on sale right now(presently 1.99), but worth a look.

[quote name='mkernan']Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (which I heard isn't that great) is 99 cents, down from $5.99:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=290461039&mt=8[/QUOTE]I played this a bit when I had a Jailbroken iPod and was moderately impressed by it. It's not a bad game, by any means, but I have literally no interest in Star Wars, so I wasn't compelled to play it more than an hour.

I'd say, though, if you like SW, you might as well get the game at that price. It'll certainly be worth the dollar.

GTA Chinatown Wars goes on sale for $6.99 tomorrow through Valentine's Day. $9.99 was already pretty cheap considering what this game retailed for on other platforms.

[quote name='gunm']GTA Chinatown Wars goes on sale for $6.99 tomorrow through Valentine's Day. $9.99 was already pretty cheap considering what this game retailed for on other platforms.[/QUOTE]Really? Wow, I'm tempted. I know I don't have time to play that game all the way through (again, DS first), but I just feel like I really ought to support such a great game and that impressive price.

[quote name='iowaholdem']Really? Wow, I'm tempted. I know I don't have time to play that game all the way through (again, DS first), but I just feel like I really ought to support such a great game and that impressive price.[/QUOTE]
If they're putting it on sale for that much early on, they'll likely drop it lower later, rather than leaving it to rot at full price.

The first downloadable map is out for CoD: Zombies... the $4.99 price tag is out of control. I was dieing for a new map to be released and my enthusiasm flew out the window after seeing that price.

[quote name='j0dy77']The first downloadable map is out for CoD: Zombies... the $4.99 price tag is out of control. I was dieing for a new map to be released and my enthusiasm flew out the window after seeing that price.[/QUOTE]Are you fucking kidding? That game was overpriced (not for quality, but lack of content) at $9.99, but now $14.98 for two maps? Poor.

I've wanted to pull the trigger on that game, but I was banking on at least one free map download.

[quote name='RollingSkull']OKAY SON

HERE IS THE LINE

AND YOU SON ARE JUST WAY THE HELL SO FAR OVER THERE BEYOND THE LINE YOU FORGOT WHAT THE LINE LOOKED LIKE.

The VERY next sentence out of your mouth better be "But I've never played Oath in Felghana or Ark of Napishtim" or you and I are gonna go outside and throw down.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/RollingSkull/1222039347484.jpg This post in image form.[/QUOTE]Im playing Oath in Felghana rite now.

it's an awesome game, but it's no Book I & II.

I wanna get Across Age but I never finished or got very far in Zenonia...

but Ill pick up Across Age anyways =P

Arodius seems like pretty good dual stick shooter, has a launch sale for 99cents right now.

probably picking up across age tonight too. looks good

[quote name='mailman27']Is Katamari worth 2.99?[/QUOTE]

I don't know, but if you've played the ps2 games and you're satisfied, no need to play the sequels since they're pretty much the same but thats just my opinion.

And before you buy, the reviews say there's framerate issues, but there's version 1.1 which supposedly fixes that, so look into that before you buy.

[quote name='mailman27']Is Katamari worth 2.99?[/QUOTE]

If you're looking for a direct port of the game you loved, look elsewhere. Had this on my old iPhone 1g. There were missing things, can't remember exactly since it was a while ago, but left me going, "hey where'd that go?" Also the first map and other maps, the time limit was way off. In the first map, you should have 5-6 minutes? Where in the iphone version, it gave me at least 10, found that weird.

bread's done
Back