iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
I got...

Cartoon Wars ($.99)
Chalk Fighter (Free)
Glyder 2 ($2.99)
Pac-man C.E. ($.99)
Soosiz ($.99)
2XL ATV Offroad ($.99)

for my new iPod Touch, heh... Now I need to research and find out what some good non-game apps are.

I got TapTap 3 a while back and purchased the in-app Fall Out Boy pack, and now that i've gotten a new itouch, the songs aren't in the track listing...

i know on the options screen there is a "restore purchased tracks" option, but it won't download because it says no purchases linked to my username...

i even sent in an email to confirm my old username back but everytime i send a confirmation email, it never shows up in my email's inbox...

anyone else having this problem? i don't want to spend $2.99 again and am getting a little irritated

Well, after addictively playing it for the last 3 days straight I plowed through Angry Birds. Anyone know of any games similar to it?

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Well, after addictively playing it for the last 3 days straight I plowed through Angry Birds. Anyone know of any games similar to it?[/QUOTE]

I'm really digging Angry Birds too. Ragdoll Blast is maybe the closest iPhone game to it.

Birds is from a Finnish company, and as I have Finnish roots I plan on checking out more of their stuff.

PrarieD0G: Here are my non-gaming app suggestions FWIW

Photogene (best iPhone photo editor IMO)
Stanza (awesome ebook reader)
Autostitch (brilliant panorama app)
Waze (free navigation app)
NESynth (NES sounding synth)
Blue Fire (field recording)
Flixster (best movie and netflix queue management app)
Remote (iTunes remote made by Apple)
Lose It (diet journal)
Bargain Bin (this should be mandatory for all iCAGgers)
MobileRSS for Google Reader (best RSS reader ive used on iPhone)

I didn't pay more than $1 for any of those apps but have gotten at least $10 worth from each of them.

And can we stop whining about the app store being frozen for a couple weeks. Many app developers put their wares on sale prior to the freeze so I can only conclude they had ample notice. I doubt it was some nefarious plot by apple to somehow dick over users.

HOLY HELL, I just stumbled upon an ASS of awesome free games!! GO NOW!!!!!!!!!

Ace Destroyer
Air Cadets
Alien Invader
Cornhole All-stars
Band Band Jump
Bouncedown
CastleGuard 1&2
Cows Space
Dark Harvest
Eliminate Pro
Epic Pet Wars
F.A.S.T
Mevo
JellyCar
iTankster
Lemonade
MAKIBISHI
Monkeyswing
Rat On Run
Runner
S.Deadbeef
Seed
Save Our Souls
Sentinel
SimDungeon
SkateDummy
SkiesOfGlory
Sniper-X
touchRaider2
Traffic Rush
TapDefense
TM Zero
Turkey Hunt
Way of the Samurai 3

[quote name='Fire_Thief']HOLY HELL, I just stumbled upon an ASS of awesome free games!! GO NOW!!!!!!!!!

Ace Destroyer
Air Cadets
Alien Invader
Cornhole All-stars
Band Band Jump
Bouncedown
CastleGuard 1&2
Cows Space
Dark Harvest
Eliminate Pro
Epic Pet Wars
F.A.S.T
Mevo
JellyCar
iTankster
Lemonade
MAKIBISHI
Monkeyswing
Rat On Run
Runner
S.Deadbeef
Seed
Save Our Souls
Sentinel
SimDungeon
SkateDummy
SkiesOfGlory
Sniper-X
touchRaider2
Traffic Rush
TapDefense
TM Zero
Turkey Hunt
Way of the Samurai 3[/QUOTE]
Ty, downloaded some apps I missed.

[quote name='DtotheP']PrarieD0G: Here are my non-gaming app suggestions FWIW

Photogene (best iPhone photo editor IMO)
Stanza (awesome ebook reader)
Autostitch (brilliant panorama app)
Waze (free navigation app)
NESynth (NES sounding synth)
Blue Fire (field recording)
Flixster (best movie and netflix queue management app)
Remote (iTunes remote made by Apple)
Lose It (diet journal)
Bargain Bin (this should be mandatory for all iCAGgers)

I didn't pay more than $1 for any of those apps but have gotten at least $10 worth from each of them.

And can we stop whining about the app store being frozen for a couple weeks. Many app developers put their wares on sale prior to the freeze so I can only conclude they had ample notice. I doubt it was some nefarious plot by apple to somehow dick over users.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I downloaded a couple of 'em. Nice!

Fieldrunners v1.3 is live with the following updates:
Facebook and Twitter support!
Compete against friends!
Awesome new challenges!
Achievement system!
Two new purchasable maps with new towers and fieldrunners!
Online high scores!
OpenFeint social network!
Only problem for me is that since updating to v1.3, for some reason I can't select Grasslands (the first level). The icon simply isn't there! Anyone else have this problem?

I know this is mainly strictly game deals for the ipod...but has anyone seen District 9? I'm considering purchasing it off itunes for $15...it also looks like the itunes edition has some nice features (for a digital movie that is)

also considering finally breaking down and just paying the $3 for Canabalt...

To me Canabalt is addictive like Tetris. I'm a serious cheapass and, having played it for a week online, I was happy to pay $3 cash money on it. Good design, huge 8-bit nostalgia, just enough randomness ... a good package.

[quote name='seanw']To me Canabalt is addictive like Tetris. I'm a serious cheapass and, having played it for a week online, I was happy to pay $3 cash money on it. Good design, huge 8-bit nostalgia, just enough randomness ... a good package.[/QUOTE]

Well that's good to hear...see, i was the same...I was desperately hoping for a $0.99 sale, but i've waited literally about 2 months, and nothing...so i might just break down and buy it...also thinking about Rock Band since it's only $5 right now...I love TapTap 3, but RB just looks a whole lot more polished...not to mention more instrument variation

I'm the only one still not that thrilled by Canabalt. I see why it's fun but it never gets that fun to me. :whistle2:/

*prefers the hooking and the champ*

[quote name='FurryCurry']I'm the only one still not that thrilled by Canabalt. I see why it's fun but it never gets that fun to me. :whistle2:/

*prefers the hooking and the champ*[/QUOTE]

put some headphones on.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']put some headphones on.[/QUOTE]

well, after you consistently telling me that Canabalt is a great game...i broke down on the $3 price lol...now we'll see ;)

Since we're talking about ripping district 9 into our ipods, what's a good dvd ripper that is free? Or there are no free ones?

[quote name='etcrane']It's just counter-intuitive, given that many folks received either iTunes cards or in many cases new iPhones and Touches over Christmas and Hanukkah, and now Apple basically shuts down updates until later in December or even early January. I would be pissed if I were a Dev because it sounds like Apple didn't give much notice and as a buyer, I can't say I'm too psyched about it. Sure they can do it next week ... but it feels like a missed opportunity.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Casteor']Since we're talking about ripping district 9 into our ipods, what's a good dvd ripper that is free? Or there are no free ones?[/QUOTE]

lol, I mainly wanted to know if district 9 is any good. But what I use is DVD decrypter to get the main movie file, then I use videora to rip the file into a high quality MPEG for the iPod :)

[quote name='jdlmm80']NFS SHIFT is it worth seven?[/QUOTE]Depends. I'm enjoying the game quite a bit (Paid $9.99) but I have to admit that I like the arcade style of NFS Undercover much more. There is no story in the game, but there is a lot to do.

There are approximately 32 races in the game (unless more are unlocked after completing the story), but it should be noted that race 3-6 will crash the game. Hopefully that'll get fixed soon.

The controls are great, and there's quite a bit of customization (including auto/manual transmission). My biggest gripe with the game is that the race line that helps guide you through the track becomes the only thing you focus on during races, which really takes away from the gorgeous visuals. I know I can turn the race line off, but I'm not that good at the game yet. I will turn it off someday.

So it's up to you. This is a simulation racing game, so don't expect an arcade feel.

[quote name='iowaholdem']Depends. I'm enjoying the game quite a bit (Paid $9.99) but I have to admit that I like the arcade style of NFS Undercover much more. There is no story in the game, but there is a lot to do.

There are approximately 32 races in the game (unless more are unlocked after completing the story), but it should be noted that race 3-6 will crash the game. Hopefully that'll get fixed soon.

The controls are great, and there's quite a bit of customization (including auto/manual transmission). My biggest gripe with the game is that the race line that helps guide you through the track becomes the only thing you focus on during races, which really takes away from the gorgeous visuals. I know I can turn the race line off, but I'm not that good at the game yet. I will turn it off someday.

So it's up to you. This is a simulation racing game, so don't expect an arcade feel.[/QUOTE]

Ok. So would you prefer this over NFS undercover. I guess it depends on if i want a sim or arcade racer. But Thanks for the info.

[quote name='jdlmm80']Ok. So would you prefer this over NFS undercover. I guess it depends on if i want a sim or arcade racer. But Thanks for the info.[/QUOTE]No, actually I prefer NFSU over NFSS. I just personally like the arcade racer more than the simulation racer. Also, considering NFSU is only $4.99 at the moment (picked it up for $2.99), it's also a better value.

Again, this recommendation is because I liked the arcade racing of NFSU more than I liked the simulation racing of NFSS. If you like games like Real Racing or Asphalt 5 (I believe that's more of a simulation racer), then you'll thoroughly enjoy NFSS.

[quote name='DtotheP']PrarieD0G: Here are my non-gaming app suggestions FWIW

[/QUOTE]

Any idea what the difference is for the paid and free versions of MobileRSS? I'll definitely try out the free one, but it's something I'd be likely to use often enough that if the paid one has enough perks, I would spend the $3.

And since it was mentioned, I've used Handbrake for DVD ripping for forever since my desktop is a Mac, but apparently it is now Windows/Linux now as well (although it may have always been multiplatform). Can't speak to usefulness on other platforms as my laptop DVD drive is too noisy to bother, but it is quite capable on the Mac where it is my sole source of DVD ripping, both to digitally archive and rip to iPod.

[quote name='jcp42877']lol, I mainly wanted to know if district 9 is any good. But what I use is DVD decrypter to get the main movie file, then I use videora to rip the file into a high quality MPEG for the iPod :)[/QUOTE]

District 9 was a great movie in my opinion, but it's really one of those love it or hate it movies, if you look at the reviews on Amazon as an indicator. Basically, it isn't the type of movie that holds the hand of the audience and it isn't some sort of origin story ... basically it plops you down into the middle of a situation that's been going on for a few years and doesn't really resolve everything neatly at the end. It's more about the concept and overall messages when you look more deeply at the film ... and it doesn't help that it shifts the style about half way through. I thought it was refreshing and the cgi was very well integrated when you consider the budget. Style-wise, I think the fact that it started with a cloverfield type style and then went into more of an action movie mode near the end threw alot of people off and made them hate it. Again, I appreciated what the director was attempting to do, but I think there are alot of ... simple ... people who were looking for your standard sci fi / alien fare ... and ended up hating the movie.

So on a personal level, I say go check it out ... awesome movie that sets itself up for a sequel that hopefully has more answers ... but on a broader level, it may not be your type of movie, so it might be worth a rental before throwing down $15 bucks (or at least get the DVD version because you can get the digital copy and if you hate it, you have something to sell ... I still don't understand the draw of buying movies on itunes unless you travel alot I guess)

[quote name='FurryCurry']I'm the only one still not that thrilled by Canabalt. I see why it's fun but it never gets that fun to me. :whistle2:/

*prefers the hooking and the champ*[/QUOTE]

Same boat here

Movie Challenge
http://appshopper.com/games/movie-challenge

Music Challenge
http://appshopper.com/games/music-challenge-powered-by-the-inquizitor-engine

Both are really fun (you might be able to still get a promo code here
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=39349). There are also lite versions to try.

Also, an oldie but a goodie is Buzzword Frenzy (free)
http://appshopper.com/games/buzzword-frenzy
Great fun with 2 or more people.

I'm psyched for all the updates for Hook Champ, Implode, HiHowAreYou and Field Runners!

I don't know if the Windows or Linux versions are any good, but the Mac version of Handbrake (DVD rip to H.264 format, including iPhone/iPod) is great and free. To rip encrypted DVDs you also need a copy of VLC installed. Both are free applications.

I use Handbrake on Windows to compress DVDs for my iPhone. It works great and is very easy to use. You do need a separate program to rip the DVDs; I use DVDFab HD Decrypter for that.

I'll toss in my recommendation for Handbrake as well. Fast, stable, and pretty idiot-proof. I've ripped tons of flix to my iTouch and PSP with stellar results.

I can also give a recommendation for handbrake. The program has been updated constantly and really turned into a fine rip program.

Hey, don't post here much....but does anybody know about the app Beatmaker? Been following it for a while and the price hasn't dropped yet. I've seen videos on the app and it looks really complex but at the same time really fun. Anybody who has it have any info on it?

bread's done
Back