iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='PrarieD0G']Any of you guys jailbreak your iPhone/iPod Touch? I got a Touch just recently and was thinking of doing it? Any major cons?[/QUOTE]

Other than it may never work again? :lol: j/k

[quote name='ajh2298']I have a couple of quick iPod Touch question and it seems here will be the best place to ask.

1. Has anybody bought a refurb direct from Apple and if you did how was it? They have second generation 8gb models for $150.00 with free shipping, is that even a good deal?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB528LL/A?mco=MTA4MzQyNzY

2. What is the differences between the 2nd generation models and the newer third generation models? I would only be using it to do the basic stuff like play music, playing some digital copies of movies, and basic web browsing.[/QUOTE]
I would just buy a new 3G. Walmart has a 32GB 3G for $270 and a 8GB for $184.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Quickie reviews:

Babel Rising: No fun here. Waste of $1.

Toki Tori: Failure to purchase this game is a crime. Next time it's $1, you dudes better buy it if you like the thinking games at all.

Sword of Fargoal: A roguelike without anything close to a redeeming quality. Holy crap I wish I could get a refund on this stinker. Rogue and Nethack are delivered free on the iPhone, just get those and wait for someone to port Powder or Crawl, both of which would be a much better fit for the iphone than Nethack.

Train Conductor: Fantastic presentation and solid game design make this a killer path-drawing variant. The first level is slow, but then once you get the genre-required fast forward button, it's all gravy. Worth noting, the FF button doesn't speed up your game time so you can maximize your score by taking on as many trains as you can, or you can just play at a more relaxed pace.[/QUOTE]

Train Conductor would be a buy at under $1 but not at full price. Game is much t0o short (Only 4 track layouts)

[quote name='porieux']I don't even bother using the mobile version of this site, it's useless. In fact that's pretty much true of most mobile versions of sites, they are so dumbed down as to be not worth it IMO. Amazon is a good example.

However I can navigate the normal version of this site OK on the iPhone, for the most part. The worst thing is hitting the page buttons in threads. The main site just needs a nice Next Page button and then all would be good IMO.[/QUOTE]

I find the mobile version preferable most of the time, and one thing they've done right is to have a button on every page to switch between the versions. That makes the mobile version useful, especially since it loads much faster then the full version. The amazon mobile page is terrible, as you note, but especially because you can only switch to the full version from the amazon home page. If you click a link that takes you to some product on amazon in the mobile version, you're just screwed. You can't get the full version without going to the home page, click full version and then searching for the product. Grrr.

FYI, if you want to always get full versions of sites, you might consider buying the payware browser "iCabMobile". It has an option to make websites think it is some other browser, including desktop safari or whatever. It also has some other nice features, but truth-be-told, I don't use it much. It has some quirks that bug me, and there's no way to set it as the default browser, so you still end up in Safari if some other application sends you to a web page. Still, it's probably worth checking out. There are things I really like about it.

[quote name='ajh2298']I have a couple of quick iPod Touch question and it seems here will be the best place to ask.

1. Has anybody bought a refurb direct from Apple and if you did how was it? They have second generation 8gb models for $150.00 with free shipping, is that even a good deal?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB528LL/A?mco=MTA4MzQyNzY

2. What is the differences between the 2nd generation models and the newer third generation models? I would only be using it to do the basic stuff like play music, playing some digital copies of movies, and basic web browsing.[/QUOTE]

Yes, and I actually recommend Apple refurbs over new. Apple new products often run into problems, as I think their testing could be better then it is, and in fact a refurb goes through more rigorous testing then their new products because they've gone through the usual testing, some problem was found by the buyer and that problematic part was replaced, and then it goes through a whole new set of testing. In effect they are tested twice. My new iPhone 3GS lasted a few months and then died (annoyingly on a trip). My refurb replacement looked brand new and has been flawless. I've had similar experiences with iPods and their computers. I now pretty much only buy refurb direct from Apple.

[quote name='iowaholdem']Is Trenches really any good? I read multiple reviews that said it was disappointing because one strategy could beat the entire game on hard in under an hour - something about attacking with a handful of riflemen all at the same time.[/QUOTE]

Trenches is a lot of fun. The campaign is short, though I don't find that just having infantry does the job. The only seemingly useless thing is poison gas - too expensive for what it does. Also, while the campaign isn't that long, there is a skirmish mode, and apparently you unlock a zombie survival mode at some point. I haven't finished the campaign on hard yet, so I suspect you get that then, or maybe you have to do something in skirmish. I definitely think the game is worth 99 cents. Very fun and great graphics/style. If and when they add multiplayer, and I think they will as the developer is very active over at toucharcade.com, it will be even better. So, generally I agree about not buying a game for the promise of a future feature, but what you get now is certainly worth 99 cents, and the developer has been very active, so that's a good sign for the future.

Trenches is $1.99 now, up from .99, but still on sale from the regular $2.99. I heard a ton about it so bought it now before they raise the price when they do the next update. I'm still having a ton of fun with Let's Golf. It's super addicting.

[quote name='crunchewy']Yes, and I actually recommend Apple refurbs over new. Apple new products often run into problems, as I think their testing could be better then it is, and in fact a refurb goes through more rigorous testing then their new products because they've gone through the usual testing, some problem was found by the buyer and that problematic part was replaced, and then it goes through a whole new set of testing. In effect they are tested twice. My new iPhone 3GS lasted a few months and then died (annoyingly on a trip). My refurb replacement looked brand new and has been flawless. I've had similar experiences with iPods and their computers. I now pretty much only buy refurb direct from Apple.[/QUOTE]

keep in mind the warranty for the refurbs are 90 days and 1 year for new products so annecdotally had your refurbed 3GS broken after a few months you'd be shit out of luck my friend. I think the refurb is definitely NOT WORTH IT considering you are locked into a contract rather you have a working phone or not.

[quote name='dubbfoolio']keep in mind the warranty for the refurbs are 90 days and 1 year for new products so annecdotally had your refurbed 3GS broken after a few months you'd be shit out of luck my friend. I think the refurb is definitely NOT WORTH IT considering you are locked into a contract rather you have a working phone or not.[/QUOTE]

That is not true. Apple refurbs carry the same exact warranty as new. You have your facts wrong.

EDIT: from Apples site: "We test and certify all Apple refurbished products and include a 1-year warranty. All refurbished iPod models also include a brand new battery and outer shell".

EDIT2: and (on refurbished iPod touch details page):
- Covered by Apple's One-Year Limited Warranty
- AppleCare Protection Plan can be purchased

[quote name='crunchewy']That is not true. Apple refurbs carry the same exact warranty as new. You have your facts wrong.

EDIT: from Apples site: "We test and certify all Apple refurbished products and include a 1-year warranty. All refurbished iPod models also include a brand new battery and outer shell".

EDIT2: and (on refurbished iPod touch details page):[/QUOTE]

You're both right, Apple does provide that warranty on their refurbs, however a refurb iPhone from AT&T has the 90days.

[quote name='crunchewy']That is not true. Apple refurbs carry the same exact warranty as new. You have your facts wrong.

EDIT2: and (on refurbished iPod touch details page):[/QUOTE]

FYI, don't waste your money on an AppleCare plan. It's totally worthless. Go with SquareTrade if you're looking to cover breakage. Cheaper and covers much more.

[quote name='kapkorn']You're both right, Apple does provide that warranty on their refurbs, however a refurb iPhone from AT&T has the 90days.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I only researched the phone and determined that $50 was not worth losing my 90 day warranty. Especially compared to the real cost of the phone is $375 plus tax when including a ETF.

but cruchewy is probably right about the refurb touches. So long as the warranty was the same I wouldn't hesitate to buy refurb from apple.

[quote name='kapkorn']You're both right, Apple does provide that warranty on their refurbs, however a refurb iPhone from AT&T has the 90days.[/QUOTE]
Even that isn't 100% accurate. A refurb iPhone has at least a 90-day warranty, but it may be more. It depends on when the original buyer purchased it, because it is one year from that date. For example, I got a refurbished 3GS in November, and according to Apple's warranty status tool, my warranty is good until July 2010.

At the time I purchased, the refurbs were $150 less than the new models, so I got a 32 GB 3GS for less than a new 16 GB model. If the discount were only $50, I would have bought new.

so do you guys think the Square-Trade 2yr warranty on a 3gs is better than the BestBuy Black Tie offer?? BB is $170 for 2 years, Square Trade is $120 for 2yrs with a $50 deductible for accidental damage.

I would say we sgouldtake this discussion to the iPhone/iPod touch forums... but there isn't any! Doh!

If it were me, I wouldn't get either extended warranty. For one thing you aren't getting two years, your getting one - the first year is already covered. And it seems if something is going to go wrong it's likely going to happen in the first year. YMMV. :)

I've bought three touches, all refurbs. One stopped working a few months after purchase -- brought it to an Apple Store and they replaced it with a new one.

The coverage is more about accidental damage than the phone just not working (at least it is for my wifes new Iphone). There have been a lot of reports of people dropping there iphone and the screen shattering.

My iphone is through my company so i don't worry about it, but paying $600 to replace a dropped iphone is just CRAZY!! Figure the $120 or $170 now is better.

@CheapyD I'm beginning to think that a DLC deal forum could work as a subforum of Deals. Or even just an iphone/ipod touch forum. Prices drop so fast and furious. And there is a lot to say. Is there any way to monetize App store stuff for CAG?

I check this thread almost daily and there so many good posts that could be of more use if organized into threads.

[quote name='DrMunkee']Hmmm...Peggle is still $1.99, even though the sale ended 1/3. Sweet.[/QUOTE]

Peggle was a good value at $5.99. And not a terrible value at $9.99. If you're into balls.

[quote name='LuisRM']Trenches is $1.99 now, up from .99, but still on sale from the regular $2.99. I heard a ton about it so bought it now before they raise the price when they do the next update. I'm still having a ton of fun with Let's Golf. It's super addicting.[/QUOTE]

Trenches is a must have IMO, I got it for .99 and I am loving it. I am finding it a little hard even on normal difficulty tho.

[quote name='ianoid']Peggle was a good value at $5.99. And not a terrible value at $9.99. If you're into balls.[/QUOTE]

Peggle is definitely worth the $5.99 but I am still happy I got it at .99! I think that if you're patient you can probably get just about any game for .99. The only thing I've spent more than .99 on was Beejive and that was definitely worth it.

Well, that's gambling on losing, which I'm not a fan of, especially at that price. They wouldn't sell the coverage at that price if they didn't expect to make money on average, and probably lots, so odds are you aren't going to win that bet, and even if you do? The only real way to win is to not play, unlike the lottery would have you believe. It's not like health insurance, which is all about covering for a catastrophic health situation that you couldn't possibly afford to pay for. There's nothing catastrophic about shattering your iPhone screen, though it would certainly suck, and I wonder if a replacement screen is going to cost $600. I suspect a lot less, but I don't know. I suppose if you're likely to run your iphone through the wash, then you're talking $600 and it might be worth it. My advice? Don't run it through the wash!

FYI, I recently dropped my iphone on an ice rink in a fairly dramatic way, and uncased, and it suffered no damage or consequences whatsoever. The things are a lot tougher then you might think.

A guy at work dropped his on the cement and the screen splintered and fractured so bad it's almost unseeable. It was a work iPhone too and he doesn't want to report it (because he had broken another one the year prior in a similar manner...dropped, no screen issues but it wouldn't respond to being plugged in).

iPhones like a beer bottle, can be strong if hit in the right place or weak if hit in the wrong place. Dropping it in the ice rink you got lucky. Without a case they often come back scufed if not cracked. There's always one spot on anything with glass that will completely shatter the thing with a mild hit. iPhones are no different.

But I got my iPhone 32GB 3GS from AT&T on Black Friday, because it was 150. I doubt it will break as I take a lot of caution with my pricey electronics. And I've had a work iPhone 8G 3G for over a year, with no issues.

I too like refurbs for their sure-fire "will work" policy. Apple refurbs are sold after plenty of testing, all the bugs are worked out. So you know you won't run into any defective problems (only dropping or submerging in water will mess it up really. At least that's been my experience with Apple products. I wouldn't trust a refurb X360 with even 100 dollars of my money.

Anyway...this thread sure is going off into discussion territory :p. Wish I had some great game to recommend that was free or on sale, but I see nothing that hasn't been mentioned recently :(.

To bring things a bit back on topic. I know many have been mentioned before.

AirMouse just had a major update which added much more functionality to things. It's a nice little app to have.

DVR Lite is nice to control your TiVo HD.

Peggle for $1.99 it totally worth it.

Marble Blast is worth $1.99

Buzzword (free) is great for a group or two people.

Music/Movie/MyTunes Challenge is totally worth $1.99. I play that with my wife all the time.

Flixster (free) is quite good for a movie app.

Memovator is an oldie but a goodie.

^Second the nod for Peggle (even though I've played through the ds version, there's still lots to love). ;)

You guys should try out Mevo sometime too. :)
It's a platform/rhythm game where your finger doesn't block the character!
(one of my chief complaints on iphone gaming)

Orbital is cool when ya get the hang of it, same goes with Doodle Jump. :booty:

Canabalt is fast, sweet, and super addicting. Same goes with Space Invaders: Infinity Gene. :D

No idea how to even play Drop7, so can't really recommend it. :roll:

Also, I'm stuck on the "A lonely prince" level in the Fire Canyon in Rolando so any help would be appreciated. :cool:
By the way, it's a very similar experience to Loco Roco with it's own charm (and better level design).

Rock Band is alright, not as crazy as I thought I'd be about it but it is fairly fun.
My problem lies in the fact that thumb placement tends to get hard on the portrait layout. :fridge:

DoodleJump and AngryBirds are the 2 best games I have played so far. Only a buck each too.

Also right now you can get Rat on the Run for free which isn't bad. The best part is it comes with this scooter minigame that is pretty addictive. They actually made a full game out of just the scooter part too (but that's not free).

You guys know of any good sites that tell you when iPhone/iPod Touch games go on sale for free?

I should get this AngryBirds game, shouldn't I? Everyone seems to rave about it.

iCopter Free (Free) Got it because it had OpenFeint, though I really can't recommend it.

Rhythm Racer (Free) Really cool concept idea (F-Zero + Guitar Hero with tilt steering) but it appears to have only one free level and the other costs $0.99. It'd be great if it had tighter controls or the option to tap on screen for steering.

Other than that, nothing new here. I still haven't put any time into Glyder 2 thinking I should beat Glyder (again) first.

[quote name='iowaholdem']I should get this AngryBirds game, shouldn't I? Everyone seems to rave about it.

iCopter Free (Free) Got it because it had OpenFeint, though I really can't recommend it.

Rhythm Racer (Free) Really cool concept idea (F-Zero + Guitar Hero with tilt steering) but it appears to have only one free level and the other costs $0.99. It'd be great if it had tighter controls or the option to tap on screen for steering.

Other than that, nothing new here. I still haven't put any time into Glyder 2 thinking I should beat Glyder (again) first.[/QUOTE]

I think Angry Birds is the best $1 app I've ever bought. It is everything I've ever wanted out of an iphone app, it is tons of fun in short bursts.

Doodle Jump as mentioned above is pretty good, I'd say you'd have to get it if it were free but even at a $1 you could do worse. Not a "must have" in my book.

Angry Birds is the best 99 cents that I've spent on the app store. My wife and pass my phone back and forth trying to one up each others scores.

More reviews:

Surviving High School's ongoing weekly content drops: Holy hell. The writing isn't getting any better and that friggen word minigame is even more annoying and the choices for the "perfect" game are so ridiculously arbitrary. Any half dozen message board RPers can churn out better stuff daily than these guys do weekly.

Time Crisis: There's 3 levels and 5 challenges. These 3 levels add up to shorter than one full stage of a real Time Crisis game. Run the hell away from this stinker.

Nick Chase: A lite casual adventure game with some alright puzzles and top notch presentation. It's impossible not to feel like the suavest man in the room playing this one thanks to the music, art, voicework, and overall atmosphere. Not worth the $5 though.

I Dig It Expeditions: A wonderful timesink. Dig crap up. Sell it. Upgrade your digger. Buy new explosives to navigate the hellish labyrinth below you, repeat forever. If you need something with more of a long term goal than the average path-drawer, give this or the original a shot.

MAJORITY OF GLU GAMES ON SALE FOR 99 CENTS

• Glyder 2
  • Beat It!
  • Super KO Boxing 2
  • etc.
Not sure what else is suppose to be good.

fuck me, I just bought Glyder 2 two days ago for $3. haha, oh well.

I guess you're right... if you wait long enough you can get almost any game for a buck.

Yeah, I'm not surprised that Glyder 2 already dropped! xD It happens to me all the time. I also paid $2.99 for the game since I loved Glyder so much. Even without having put more than a few minutes into Glyder 2, I can definitely say it is a must buy for $0.99.

I'm also going to finally download Super KO Boxing 2 at that price!

Full list of $0.99 games from Glu:

• beat it
  • bonsai blast
  • brain genius deluxe
  • build-a-lot
  • cooking star
  • cops & robbers
  • family guy uncensored
  • glyder
  • glyder 2
  • mini golf wacky world
  • space monkey
  • super ko boxing 2
  • taxi fight
  • transformers cybertoy
  • world series of poker hold'em
Sale ends Monday evening!

EDIT: And to avoid a double post, Assassin's Creed II Discovery hit the App Store tonight at a staggering $11.99!

EDIT2: Hold up on that Assassin's Creed II Discovery purchase you weren't planning!
Hi Touch Arcade forum users,

A friendly note from Andrew, Editor in Chief over at Slidetoplay.com. I have received word from a person working for Ubisoft that this early release and high price is a mistake. If you pay $12 for this you will be overpaying and this version will be pulled shortly.

The final game should cost less and not have bugs. I urge you to let this one go until it is pulled, re-released at a lower price, and hopefully bug-free.

Thanks everyone.

-Andrew Podolsky
Editor in Chief, Slidetoplay.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Hostile, I think Glyder 2 is a completely new game (same basic idea) but with a lot of new additions (new wings, areas, etc). So if you get Glyder 2 and enjoy it, you'll always be able to get Glyder for more (albeit less deep) gameplay. I absolutely love Glyder, but like I said before, I haven't yet played Glyder 2, even though I was happy to slap the $2.99 at release.

But no, you won't be missing anything in terms of story if you skip the first installment. There really is no story other than "Eryn likes her flying contraption and is stuck in a strange world. Collect gems throughout the world to open a portal home." xD

You can safely skip Glyder -- unless you finish Glyder 2 and want more. It doesn't have the uprades that 2 has, I bought 1 like the day before 2 was released. Bought 2 after finishing 1. They're pretty much the same game, just different areas.

Plushed is worth a look, but kinda meh (very frustrating at times due to poor platforming in certain areas). The art was betteri n concept than it has been on the phone and it's gameplay isn't really anything to write home about. But it's a unique cute platformer with some puzzle elements. If you're looking for a platforming game and Soosiz is already finished, take a look at it.

Everyone should check out Beat It though...and Super KO Boxing if you enjoy Punchout. Awesome game both of those.

[quote name='Foo228']No idea how to even play Drop7, so can't really recommend it. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Alright, you like Peggle so I can't go too harshly on you.

It's really simple, the number on the ball is how high of a column and row it will disappear on. So a 1 should be on the bottom of a column, in a row alone. A 5 should be 5 spaces up from the bottom to disappear. It's super addictive, was one of the first games I bought on the iPhone and is the only one that is still and will be always on it.

On Nameless One's recommendation (along with iTunes and IGN reviews), I've decided to bite on Beat It! during this $0.99 sale. It could be awhile before I get to playing the game. I'm backlogged quite a bit as it is! xD

Assassin's Creed II: Discovery should hit today....

EDIT: it got pulled for some reason... http://toucharcade.com/2010/01/08/assassins-creed-ii-discovery-sneaks-on-to-the-app-store/

345932575screen.jpg

Category: Games
Price: $11.99
Released: Jan 07, 2010
Size: 147 MB
Seller: Ubisoft
Latest version: 1.0.0​

Application description
Discover an untold chapter from the Assassin’s Creed II storyline. Follow Ezio as he travels to Spain to rescue fellow assassins being held under the guise of the Inquisition, only to uncover a Templar plot to sail west and discover the New World.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3ff6S12oAA

Screenshots

345932575_1screen.jpg

345932575_2screen.jpg

345932575_3screen.jpg

345932575_4screen.jpg

Note that there is a Glyder Free (which I presume is Glyder 1 demo). I've never played either game, so I'm downloading that to see if I want to buy 2 for 99 cents...

... and the verdict is that I don't know. It seems like you just fly around and into crystals. Also the animation is very choppy even on my 3GS. Any reason I should pick up this or the sequel? Is there more to it then this?

Penguin Bounce and Be Free or Die have pretty good reviews and are both free right now. Add some more titles to your backlog!

Not sure how Be Free or Die got such good reviews (maybe the free helped). But it controls horribly and has some pretty weak graphics (the former being my biggest issue).

[quote name='crunchewy']Note that there is a Glyder Free (which I presume is Glyder 1 demo). I've never played either game, so I'm downloading that to see if I want to buy 2 for 99 cents...

... and the verdict is that I don't know. It seems like you just fly around and into crystals. Also the animation is very choppy even on my 3GS. Any reason I should pick up this or the sequel? Is there more to it then this?[/QUOTE]

That's all there is to it. Bt it's kind of a soothing fun flying around trying to get all of the gems and see how high and fast you can go.

I downloaded the demo long ago, but finally caved on buying it for some weird reason months later. I guess I was just ready to chill. The music is quite soothing too. Though it repeats endlessley it's a good loop. There's challenges for the gems and achievements for getting high fast, flight time, etc...

Glyder 2 does have extra outfits and wings for your character but I haven't played it too much. Mainly because right after finishing Glyder I bought Glyder 2 -- and I was "glyder'ed" out.

bread's done
Back