iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='IcBluScRn']how mine is at stuck at 11? i have 218 apps only because i use categories but that makes updating apps a pita.[/QUOTE]Not too sure, I did it after the 3.0 update, non-jailbroken. I just kept adding more apps and as it went past the 9th page (old maximum) while syncing, it would make a 'new' page right after the first. I did them one page or less at a time and stopped once I began to run out of storage space.

Before the 3.0 update, it would just knock the applications past page 9 into a sort of 'limbo', where you couldn't access them. I had just about every default app in limbo until the 3.0 update (stocks, weather, etc.).

Powershot.png

[quote name='crunchewy']People make the same argument about storage space for music. You're only listening to a few albums at any given time, so why do you need to have 500 albums on your iPod? Because it's a nuisance to have to swap them out, and I want to option to play any of them whenever I happen to feel like it.

In addition there is another, and rather substantial if you ask me, issue with the idea of only keeping games on your iPhone temporarily - most games do not store their data on a server, and if you delete them from your iPhone it deletes the data - there is no way to recover that data. So, for example, I've got some games that have promised updates and I don't want to lose the progress I've made if and when they ever deliver the updates, therefore, even though I've finished with the games as-is, I don't want to delete the game and lose my progress should they ever deliver the promised expansion! So, yeah, there are some "dead" apps on my iPhone, but I don't want to delete them for that reason. (EDIT: and of course I've got games I haven't finished and eventually would like to go back to - same problem.)

Of course that's another thing apple needs to address with an update![/QUOTE]

I have amassed over 28,000 songs so there's not a single device that holds my music except for an external hard drive. So I guess it's a matter of preference. I don't swap music out on my iPhone unless I'm done listening to everything on it.

I hear you on losing progress, I don't know where I'd be if I lost progress on some of my XBL/PS games. Although I don't have a huge amount of games that I would be disappointed if I lost my progress on my iPhone.

Sword & Poker might be game of the year. Ok, so it's only January, but damn is this game fun!

That's whacked donburns99 (14 pages of apps visible) - mine have gone past page 11 and those are invisible. I can only get to them via search. My iPhone 3GS has the latest firmware and it's never been jailbroken. Very strange. Wish I'd get those extra 3 pages....

[quote name='crunchewy']That's whacked donburns99 (14 pages of apps visible) - mine have gone past page 11 and those are invisible. I can only get to them via search. My iPhone 3GS has the latest firmware and it's never been jailbroken. Very strange. Wish I'd get those extra 3 pages....[/QUOTE]

Found this via a google search. Not sure if it works. But it's worth a try.

iPhone has seen some of the most amazing apps and games from AppStore and Cydia. Now for those users who love to have truck loads of apps on the iPhone, there is a tweak to increase the number of home screen pages. Yeah, its very simple..just follow these steps given below. However to start of the first thing you will need is to have 11 pages of apps to fill all the iPhone’s homescreen pages.
Steps:

• First over some of the default iPhone apps to the last page of the home screen.
  • Take and drag one the icons from the 10th home screen page to the 11th home screen. This would force the last icon at the bottom-right to disappear from that home screen page.
  • Download an iPhone app after that to fill that empty space created on the 10th home screen.
  • After that you will see a miracle!! You will notice that the 12th home screen which will have all the iPhone apps that weren’t visible until then
There is also a screenshot that confirms this..It is believed that this trick can be used uptil 14 pages.

Little more explanation.
http://www.cultofmac.com/temporarily-get-more-iphone-home-screens-via-cunning-bug-exploit/19731

looks like you need to move an official app to the last page to make it work.

I'm gonna go ahead and add to the suspicious amount of people recommending it and just say that Sword & Poker is awesome. Think Puzzle Quest but substitute Bejewelled for a cross of Poker and Bingo. Also substitute the downtrodden LotR motif for an almost cutesy Final Fantasy on DS vibe.

Played the Sword and Poker demo for a couple minutes and bought it immediately. Awesome idea that is wonderfully done, and it says that it's 75% off for now, so it's usual price will be $3.99, I guess. The current $0.99 price should make this the top selling game on the app store without a doubt.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']looks like you need to move an official app to the last page to make it work.[/QUOTE]Now that you mention it, that is how I ended up doing it. Version 3.0 introduced that damned "Voice Memo" application that is absolutely useless on the iPod Touch unless you want to plug in a Microphone. I kept trying to 'force' it off my springboard, but it just wasn't possible.. the OS kept sticking it on "New" pages beyond the 11th page.

Since I ended up getting to 14 pages and running out of storage space, I just said screw it and let all the default applications remain on page 1, since I had all the space I needed anyway.

Edit:
[quote name='blk00civicsi']Little more explanation.
http://www.cultofmac.com/temporarily-get-more-iphone-home-screens-via-cunning-bug-exploit/19731[/QUOTE]Just checked out the link, it all looks fine, except the bit at the bottom mentioning it as a temporary solution. I've never had iTunes or any sync remove the additional pages.

As mentioned, the iTunes application page will only display up to 11 pages in thumbnail form, but if you keep hitting the down arrow, it will go to the invisible pages 12-14.

Only drawbacks to doing this that I have noticed is slightly slowdown while performing searches/etc., probably due to low memory. It may also be because I have almost no storage space left though.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']Little more explanation.
http://www.cultofmac.com/temporarily-get-more-iphone-home-screens-via-cunning-bug-exploit/19731[/QUOTE]Just checked out the link, it all looks fine, except the bit at the bottom mentioning it as a temporary solution. I've never had iTunes or any sync remove the additional pages.

As mentioned, the iTunes application page will only display up to 11 pages in thumbnail form, but if you keep hitting the down arrow, it will go to the invisible pages 12-14.

Only drawbacks to doing this that I have noticed is slightly slowdown while performing searches/etc., probably due to low memory. It may also be because I have almost no storage space left though.

[quote name='darkmazda']I didn't even try the lite version of Sword & Poker but with the recommendations from this board and I LOVE it!! Pick it up!![/QUOTE]

This is why I love CAG. I would have never seen Sword and Poker or even tried it outside of these recommendations and I would have never caught the $1 price tag. Thank you, CAG. :applause:

Sword and Poker +1, but don't forget Glu's WPT poker game. If that 99 cents sale is still going on, WPT is an AMAZING Poker app. Fantastic controls. Great pacing, great features. Just get it.

I've gotta recommend Sword and Poker too. I've bought it after reading the recommendations here and playing the lite version. Very addicting.

Playing the lite version of Sword & Poker, so addicting!
How many levels does the lite version have? I don't know if I should keep playing the lite version.

[quote name='miriamleo']Playing the lite version of Sword & Poker, so addicting!
How many levels does the lite version have? I don't know if I should keep playing the lite version.[/QUOTE]

Just realize that when you get the full version you'll have to start over. That's yet another reason why they need to integrate "demos" into apps. So you'd download the full app for free, and try it with limits, then unlock the full version, rather then having to download a separate full version. This is possible with in-game purchases, but then they need to change how they list prices for applications, because it would be bogus/deceptive to call it free. Such an application shouldn't be "free" it should be listed as whatever price it is once "unlocked", but you can download it for free and play it with limitations before buying. I.e. like the Xbox 360 handles downloads.

Anyway... just buy Sword & Poker now. If you liked the demo you will like the full game and it's only 99 cents!

I just wished that Sword & Poker ran a bit faster. As addicting as it is, I feel like it is a little bit on the slower side. Being that it's an iphone game, I want it to move a little faster. It's supposed to be a game on the go.

That's it. Aside from that, it's well made and a lot of fun! Can't stop putting it down.

[quote name='miriamleo']Playing the lite version of Sword & Poker, so addicting!
How many levels does the lite version have? I don't know if I should keep playing the lite version.[/QUOTE]

I'd buy the full version before beating the lite version -- I did not; I beat the lite version (at 5 dungeon levels), then bought the full version, and now I have to re-do the first 5 levels. Not exactly a hardship, but still annoying o have to re-do those sections.

That said, the game is great and well worth the purchase.

On pricing, I really find that the iPhone has broken me for my sense of "game value" -- Many of my free or $1 iPhone games get more play than wii games I've bought for 30 times as much...

[quote name='darkmazda']I just wished that Sword & Poker ran a bit faster. As addicting as it is, I feel like it is a little bit on the slower side. Being that it's an iphone game, I want it to move a little faster. It's supposed to be a game on the go.

That's it. Aside from that, it's well made and a lot of fun! Can't stop putting it down.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I wish there was a 1.5x or 2x speed you could add. Also when placing the cards it can be a bit finicky to get it to the right spot (to where the box lights up red.) Minor complaints. It appears to be a Japanese company. I'll send a response and see if I hear anything back.
[email protected]

Let's hope they keep supporting it. Very, very fun. It's killing the itunes reviews. 35 5stars and 2 4stars.

[quote name='LuisRM']Agreed, I wish there was a 1.5x or 2x speed you could add. Also when placing the cards it can be a bit finicky to get it to the right spot (to where the box lights up red.) Minor complaints. It appears to be a Japanese company. I'll send a response and see if I hear anything back.
[email protected]

Let's hope they keep supporting it. Very, very fun. It's killing the itunes reviews. 35 5stars and 2 4stars.[/QUOTE]

totally! They should also add an option to start the game from the beginning.. As if you just picked up the game. I can't find that option anywhere in the game for some reason.

I think the main thing for me is the speed. I haven't had much problems with placing the cards. I guess the turns take too long imho. If it's a multiplayer game, I understand. But if it's an AI system trying to make it feel like a multiplayer, it's a little slow. :bouncy:

The only thing that bugs me speed wise is that the "status" button only becomes enabled after everything is drawn. Minor nit, though. Maybe they'll speed things up in an update, but if not it's not a big deal to me.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']Found this via a google search. Not sure if it works. But it's worth a try.

iPhone has seen some of the most amazing apps and games from AppStore and Cydia. Now for those users who love to have truck loads of apps on the iPhone, there is a tweak to increase the number of home screen pages. Yeah, its very simple..just follow these steps given below. However to start of the first thing you will need is to have 11 pages of apps to fill all the iPhone’s homescreen pages.
Steps:

• First over some of the default iPhone apps to the last page of the home screen.
  • Take and drag one the icons from the 10th home screen page to the 11th home screen. This would force the last icon at the bottom-right to disappear from that home screen page.
  • Download an iPhone app after that to fill that empty space created on the 10th home screen.
  • After that you will see a miracle!! You will notice that the 12th home screen which will have all the iPhone apps that weren’t visible until then
There is also a screenshot that confirms this..It is believed that this trick can be used uptil 14 pages.

Little more explanation.
http://www.cultofmac.com/temporarily-get-more-iphone-home-screens-via-cunning-bug-exploit/19731

looks like you need to move an official app to the last page to make it work.[/QUOTE]

Well, I tried it, and all it initially accomplished was that I had a Lite version of an app I didn't care about one one of my pages, and the Messages built-in app was now in the void. No additional pages appeared. :(

However, I got it to work finally. The key is that you *must* move a built-in app from the home page to the last page (or perhaps just from any page other then one already on the last page). You can't rely on a built-in app that is already on the last page, which is where my Message app was (I don't text message). I ended up with extra pages, although still most of my void apps were still in the void. I repeated the process and them more, and I think all, of my in-the-void apps appeared on the new page after the first page. I haven't tried shutting down yet to see if it survives the reboot. I need to move some of the junk apps to the last pages just in case they disappear again.

Of course it's not a great solution. More pages is just even more unwieldy, however it at least allows me to get at the apps and games I am playing now and move to them closer to the home page. Then even if some apps disappear into the void again, at least it will be the ones I don't mind being in there for the time being.

I never ever rarely buy any games nor do i like poker much, but I just purchased Sword and Poker. Cheap at 99cents and I played the lite version all day yesterday.

highly recommend it.

Well, I'm in a puzzlin' mood so you can add me to the growing masses who bit on S&P. Also picked up ReBounce; I beat Peggle quite a while ago so I'm looking forward to that one. I also want to try the extra pages trick. I tried doing it awhile back but couldn't get it to work. I have over 250 apps now and I'd really like a few extra screens on my Touch.

Edit: I think I know why I didn't see any extra screens previously. I already have a bunch of hidden screens on my Pod. Anytime I make a purchase, it just goes to the last hidden page. I need to uninstall enough stuff to where I only have 11 screens. That way, when I move Voice Memos (or whatever) to the last page, any new downloads will bump it over to a new (12th) screen. At least, that's my theory.

[quote name='Dimsdale']Edit: I think I know why I didn't see any extra screens previously. I already have a bunch of hidden screens on my Pod. Anytime I make a purchase, it just goes to the last hidden page. I need to uninstall enough stuff to where I only have 11 screens. That way, when I move Voice Memos (or whatever) to the last page, any new downloads will bump it over to a new (12th) screen. At least, that's my theory.[/QUOTE]

No, I already had apps on following pages and it worked. The trick is to move a built-in app from the first page to the very last spot on the last page. Then move a non-built-in app from the 10th page to the 11th such that the built-in app goes off the end and into the void. Now install an app from the app store. When it's done you'll find your built-in app back where it started and a new page of apps right after the first app, with some of your apps that were invisible in it. You might have to do it multiple times before all your apps show up.

Just wanted to say that Be Free has the most god awful controls I've ever seen. I really tried to tweak it to playability but gave up (even the fucking sliders for sensitivity don't register well). Graphics are shit to boot, so even for free it's not worth the wasted space.

[quote name='crunchewy']No, I already had apps on following pages and it worked. The trick is to move a built-in app from the first page to the very last spot on the last page. Then move a non-built-in app from the 10th page to the 11th such that the built-in app goes off the end and into the void. Now install an app from the app store. When it's done you'll find your built-in app back where it started and a new page of apps right after the first app, with some of your apps that were invisible in it. You might have to do it multiple times before all your apps show up.[/QUOTE]
When I tried that before, it just moved a random app from one of the hidden pages into the spot where the 10th-page app used to be. It didn't add another visible page. I'll give it another shot, though. Thanks for the feedback!

I think this is going to be fixed in iPhone OS 4.0. There's been alot of people wanting more then the allocated pages of apps. Sure you can press the home button twice and see finder to search by app name, but even for those of us who don't overload the app limit, swiping constantly to go thru all the app pages is slow and annoying.

I've only checked this thread a few times (mainly to see if NOVA is on sale) but I just needed to say that I picked up Sword & Poker after seeing all the recommendations and it is a really good game. I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't picked it up. If you're really hesitant about spending $1, try the demo.

After seeing all the recommendations, I picked up Sword and Poker as well, and I will add my recommendation to the list. What an addicting Puzzle-Quest like game. Love it.

Thanks for the Sword and Poker recommendation. After seeing so many rave reviews of the game, along with the interesting combination of poker and RPG, and immediately bought it. No demo needed. Best game on the iPod Touch/iPhone. Thanks again!

I'm a novice poker player (what is a royal straight flush?) but Sword & Poker is just a fun game.

The Inferno is on sale for $2.99. Looks interesting eventhough I'm sure it's meant to cash in on the console release, different mechanic though.

I don't understand the game released by NGMOCO.
Most of their games now have a Plus+ version that is free, but they are still selling a version without Plus+ for a fee.
I bought some of the games from them before like WordFu and Dr. Awesome, but now my version lacks Plus+ functionality, while the Free version has it. Is there any benefits of my paid version? Or should I just delete my paid version (that they are still selling) and redownload the new Plus+ version?

World of Tunes is free right now, I just bought it the day after Christmas using iTunes credit too. :whistle2:(

Can you guys recommend some good 2 player apps? My girlfriend just got an iPhone over the weekend.

bread's done
Back