iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
Depict is a good 2-player game, actually multiplayer but you can play a private game as well. I'm pretty sure it's still free. It's a drawing / guessing game with openfeint support.

[quote name='miriamleo']I don't understand the game released by NGMOCO.
Most of their games now have a Plus+ version that is free, but they are still selling a version without Plus+ for a fee.
I bought some of the games from them before like WordFu and Dr. Awesome, but now my version lacks Plus+ functionality, while the Free version has it. Is there any benefits of my paid version? Or should I just delete my paid version (that they are still selling) and redownload the new Plus+ version?[/QUOTE]

Yeah - I think they're handling of Plus+ has been pretty crappy. I'm not sure if it applies to their games, but other free Plus+ game also get you ads. At this point my hope is that Plus+ goes away and Apple buys OpenFeint, makes it a requirement for all new games and game updates, and integrates it into the system. Except they need to make that Facebook posting thing default to off and not bother you unless you enable it. You can disable it, but it's still slightly annoying.

Thanks for the heads up on World of Tunes and Depict. I'm download both now. Depict says it has online play, so that's pretty cool. Will try both games out later today.

EDIT: Went ahead and tried some online Depict. Fun game!

Also "The Quest - Mithril Horde" has an introdutory price of $0. It's an expansion on The Quest, but can be played standalone. Looks like an old school RPG and I probably won't care for it, but for free I'll give it a shot:

http://appshopper.com/games/the-quest-mithril-horde

[quote name='CouRageouS']World of Tunes is free right now, I just bought it the day after Christmas using iTunes credit too. :whistle2:(

Can you guys recommend some good 2 player apps? My girlfriend just got an iPhone over the weekend.[/QUOTE]My favorite multiplayer games would be:

Alive 4-ever
Flight Control
Let's Golf
Peggle (hot seat multiplayer)
Tiger Woods 10

I'll jump on the Sword & Poker bandwagon. Played through ~ 3 levels of the demo and realized that I'd rather be playing the full version so my progress is saved. Well worth 99 cents.

I emailed the devs for Sword and Poker and they got back to me. Basically just stating a few speed, control and manual issues. Nothing major. I also asked about dlc. They just said they would look into it and thanked me for the purchase.

Thanks for the heads up on World of Tunes. Thanks also to the posters on adding pages beyond the allotted 11. I'm now enjoying 14 screens of apps I don't get enough time to play. Thank you!

I checked out Rebounce after reading the post below.

It is a really, really fun game.

You control a "ring" that flies through the air. When you touch it, it slows down time, stopping the ring (think bullet-time) and allowing you to re-aim it. There are different game modes. Sometimes you bash the ring in to all of the "marbles" in the level to win. Sometimes you have to keep the marbles from getting too close to the top of the screen.

Anyhow, a really cool game and WELL worth 99 cents.

[quote name='hollowfreak']First Sword & Poker and now this. Rebounce a real-time peggle like game for $1. I haven't tried it but I know there's alot of peggle junkies out there.

http://appshopper.com/games/rebounce

... Now back to Sword & Poker.[/QUOTE]

Sword and Poker is definitely overrated guys. Sorry to burst your bubble.

There mechanics are extremely limited making it very repetitive and it's hugely based on luck, not skill or any real decision making.

I did buy it and played through floor 20. It's still a good buy for 1$ but lets not make it into something it's not.

[quote name='fake larry']Sword and Poker is definitely overrated guys. Sorry to burst your bubble.

There mechanics are extremely limited making it very repetitive and it's hugely based on luck, not skill or any real decision making.

I did buy it and played through floor 20. It's still a good buy for 1$ but lets not make it into something it's not.[/QUOTE]

If everyone else really enjoys it, then we really enjoy it. Your opinion doesn't burst anyone's bubble or change how much others enjoy the game.

Maybe your game isn't based on skill or decision making but just luck but I find myself making moves that effect the outcome of future moves. Hell, I don't even really like poker I just like the puzzle aspect of the 5x5 level, Sort Suit, the 10 move level cap, etc. I find the game's pace perfectly suited and I'm thoroughly enjoying it, I really hope they don't change much about it other than adding levels and perhaps online/wifi local multiplayer.

[quote name='fake larry']There mechanics are extremely limited making it very repetitive and it's hugely based on luck, not skill or any real decision making.[/QUOTE]
You were expecting something else from a puzzle game that revolves around the game of poker?

[quote name='Fire_Thief']Hook Champ... Is freaking amazing.[/QUOTE]
Hook Champ is my favorite iPhone game. So friggin fun!

I have to disagree about the lack of strategy in Sword & Poker. Strategy is definitely involved within the battles, as is making sure you don't miss opportunities (for exampling, restoring health at the right time, which also depends on your enemy's capabilities), as is deciding what weapon/shield to use for a particular battle, and which ones to buy and when. If you want to just go it random you can, but you're going to do better if you put some thought into it.

gonna have to agree with a lot of others...I'm loving Sword and Poker and think it does have strategy the deeper you get into it-like planning out future moves and when to use your powers. It's one of the funnest app's I've played- Of course I love puzzle games and used to be addicted to online poker back in the day.

another solid game is the deep- a decent metroidvania game.

[quote name='sadunk']I knew I shouldn't have come into this thread. Sword & Poker for me.[/QUOTE]

ahhh suck it up, it's only a $1 :D

very good game...i'm playing it now while i should be doing data entry ;)

I doubt I'll purchase in-game DLC much but I have plans to purchase Hookbot and the upcoming paid DLC in Hook Champ because I only paid $1 for the game and it has been my favorite since I got it.

[quote name='crunchewy']I have to disagree about the lack of strategy in Sword & Poker. Strategy is definitely involved within the battles, as is making sure you don't miss opportunities (for exampling, restoring health at the right time, which also depends on your enemy's capabilities), as is deciding what weapon/shield to use for a particular battle, and which ones to buy and when. If you want to just go it random you can, but you're going to do better if you put some thought into it.[/QUOTE]

I agree that there's a tremendous amount of strategy in the game ... even to the point where you might pass a turn on purpose to set yourself up for better combos when the board is almost filled. Couple that with planning for future combos and the intricacies of weapons, shields and magic and it's definitely not some sort of extra shallow game that's based solely on luck.

[quote name='Hostile']I doubt I'll purchase in-game DLC much but I have plans to purchase Hookbot and the upcoming paid DLC in Hook Champ because I only paid $1 for the game and it has been my favorite since I got it.[/QUOTE]

I love hook champ. I actually got #1 on a couple global scoreboards boards before getting booted. I'd recommend it. I also bought the hookbot DLC. It adds a nice component to the game, but certainly not necessary.

We've got some Glu Mobile iPhone games on sale for $0.99: Glyder 2, Beat It!, World Series of Poker and Super KO Boxing 2. You can see the sale info on our site (games.glu.com) or just go directly to iTunes!

Maybe your game isn't based on skill or decision making but just luck but I find myself making moves that effect the outcome of future moves. Hell, I don't even really like poker I just like the puzzle aspect of the 5x5 level, Sort Suit, the 10 move level cap, etc. I find the game's pace perfectly suited and I'm thoroughly enjoying it, I really hope they don't change much about it other than adding levels and perhaps online/wifi local multiplayer.

And in response to a few others after that:

I'm not saying there's no decision making. Playing cards randomly will make you lose. What I'm saying is that the decisions are obvious and the AI is also poor (maybe on purpose). So there's rarely any meaningful decision since 99% of the time there's a completely obvious choice. That includes passing to avoid chains from the opponent as well as passing up stronger damaging moves to block the use of the opponents cards. When to organize cards is obvious. What to upgrade first is obvious. Etc. Etc.

So given that - the game *is* almost entirely random and quite frankly not very intellectually challenging. That's all fine and dandy - after it's a freakin' 1$ app.

All I'm saying is you guys are making it out to be a lot better than it is.

This is coming from someone who knows A LOT about games. A lot of computer science graduate school (though I haven't finished my masters). I have a very good understanding of game design (boardgames, card games, computer games, etc).

I consider my time very valuable so I'm very picky about the games I play. In the long run I don't see this game being very intellectually rewarding. It's primarily a luck based grind-fest.

You're no more important than anyone else, Fake Larry. Your opinion doesn't supersede other people's.

[quote name='fake larry']And in response to a few others after that:

I'm not saying there's no decision making. Playing cards randomly will make you lose. What I'm saying is that the decisions are obvious and the AI is also poor (maybe on purpose). So there's rarely any meaningful decision since 99% of the time there's a completely obvious choice. That includes passing to avoid chains from the opponent as well as passing up stronger damaging moves to block the use of the opponents cards. When to organize cards is obvious. What to upgrade first is obvious. Etc. Etc.

So given that - the game *is* almost entirely random and quite frankly not very intellectually challenging. That's all fine and dandy - after it's a freakin' 1$ app.

[/QUOTE]

How many levels have you played- from your comments it sounds like not many because as you get deeper in, the game becomes more challenging and very strategic...For example when to use your special powers like stealing cards and recharging health, when to block the computer from being able to make a good hand, when to use your wild card, and when to save cards for future moves. This game can be played very casually like all good puzzlers but you are wrong to say it doesn't have depth and strategy-it's there if you want it and as you become more skilled with the game. Its a hell of a game for a buck and one of my fav apps, and i've got prob 100 or more of em. If you like puzzlers and poker its a no brainer. Just about every puzzler involves some degree of luck, that doesn't mean their cannot be a lot of strategy involved.

Parcel Panic - Post Car Racer 3D is down to $.99 now. It was 2.99, then went down to 1.99 and now it's at .99 for the weekend. I finally got it for the price and it's pretty good, a lot in common with Crazy Taxi. Really fun and the handling is spot-on after a few minutes of play- I love the way the horizon stays level as you tilt the device to turn. It seems a bit light on content, only 4 different cars, which all seem to have their own pre-determined sequence of pick-ups and deliveries and a sort-of small number of locations on an island. Though, it's well-worth the 99 cents they're charing this weekend and probably still worth $1.99 after it goes up.

http://appshopper.com/games/parcel-panic-post-car-racer-3d

[quote name='Glu_Ramon']We've got some Glu Mobile iPhone games on sale for $0.99: Glyder 2, Beat It!, World Series of Poker and Super KO Boxing 2. You can see the sale info on our site (games.glu.com) or just go directly to iTunes![/QUOTE]

finally picked up Super KO Boxing. Thanks for extending the sale. Going to give the Beat it! demo a shot.

Guys, give fake larry a break. He made his opinion a out the game and he personally didn't think it was that great. I certainly don't think he means to superimpose his opinion over any others. He didn't like it, fine. I liked it, whoo.

In other news, I got Beat It! and it seems like a good music game so far. I'm gonna have to play a bit more of it though.

@Brevity
Sketchbook MobileX will do it and it's free. Although it's not perfect but try it out. Tap the ring at the bottom of the screen and then tap the layers icon and finally tap the flower plus symbol icon to import a pic or take one.

http://appshopper.com/entertainment/sketchbook-mobilex

@Glu_Ramon
I've purchased both Glyders and although I love them both, everytime I play them I want to be able to shoot something. Any chance of another game with the same motif with flying and combat?

[quote name='LuisRM']I emailed the devs for Sword and Poker and they got back to me. Basically just stating a few speed, control and manual issues. Nothing major. I also asked about dlc. They just said they would look into it and thanked me for the purchase.[/QUOTE]

Thank you LuisRM! Can't wait for an update

[quote name='sstcrush']Any castle crasher-esque games for an iTouch?[/QUOTE]

Chillingo's A Quest of Knights Onrush is a little bit like Castle Crashers ... the art style is reminiscent, though it's severely lacking the depth and replayability found in Castle Crashers. There's also a pirate game that is similar in style, but the name escapes me and I've never personally played it.

[quote name='tenchim86']Guys, give fake larry a break. He made his opinion a out the game and he personally didn't think it was that great. I certainly don't think he means to superimpose his opinion over any others. He didn't like it, fine. I liked it, whoo. [/QUOTE]

I certainly didn't get that vibe from "hate to burst your bubble guys", which sounds more like "you are all wrong, listen to me". Also speaking with an authority (as in, a person who has studied game design and programming) doesn't exactly make me think he isn't trying to impose his opinion on anyone else. I don't mean to get all anti-intellectual, his reasons for disliking it are valid if you're approaching the game on that level. I just feel he could have picked a nicer way of saying it.

Anyway, the reasons he didn't like it are the reasons I think it's an awesome iPhone game. I generally don't turn to my iPod Touch to be intellectually stimulated at any given moment. I'm usually not spending more than a few minutes with it anyway. I'll usually just play it for a minute or two when I'm dropping a deuce or something along those lines. Sword & Poker is just a nice variation on the whole Puzzle RPG games that I've found highly addicting. I also like the idea of playing poker on a 5 x 5 grid and I haven't seen it before. A grindfest? Sure, it's an RPG. And while luck has been a major factor, I have been noticing little things I could have done even with card placement that could have made an encounter go better. It's not as strategic as something like chess, but I'm not always in the mood for that.

I also purchased Sword & Poker after trying out the demo. I didn't really like it until I passed the first dungeon. From there the strategy deepened.

[quote name='sstcrush']Any castle crasher-esque games for an iTouch?[/QUOTE]

I've never played them, but OMG Pirates! and Chuck Norris: Bring on the Pain seem to fit that bill nicely.

[quote name='chrisswiss83']I certainly didn't get that vibe from "hate to burst your bubble guys", which sounds more like "you are all wrong, listen to me". Also speaking with an authority (as in, a person who has studied game design and programming) doesn't exactly make me think he isn't trying to impose his opinion on anyone else. I don't mean to get all anti-intellectual, his reasons for disliking it are valid if you're approaching the game on that level. I just feel he could have picked a nicer way of saying it.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I can't believe somebody tried to defend that arrogance.

OMG Pirates! is quite good, but I can't compare it to Castle Crashers as I've never played CC. OMG Pirates! is not multiplayer, though, so if what you want is a multiplayer game, OMG Pirates! isn't it.

OMG Pirates is a real good beat-em-up, but don't even think about playing through it to get max rankings. Nothing ruins that game faster.

+1 on the OMG Pirates! as well. Picked it up when it went on sale at $0.99. It looks like it's at $1.99 but still worth the price imho

I don't intend to resurrect this argument, however I think that it's important to try to accurately reflect this game's AI. I'm not trying to change your mind, rather I'm trying to encourage others to give the game a chance in spite of your comments.

Making a perfect opponent is easier than a realistic one. In fact, to say the A.I. is poor would imply (to me) that it consistently plays the highest scoring move, consistently plays the worst scoring move or the hand is played entirely at random.

Later levels do seem to increase the difficulty both in hit points AND in playing "smarter" higher-scoring hands; bosses not only have higher damage, hit points and magic, they employ "smarter" look-ahead moves (this is not just passing, to avoid giving the opponent the edge hands). In later levels, more than once, I have had the opponent play a lousy one pair (with the pair in their hand) in a place apparently just to block my (showing) flush. I cannot be sure that this is the case, of course, because we do not have the source. Regardless, this is my experience.

As someone who has spent/wasted many hours playing this game already, I highly recommend it to all who are considering the purchase. The demo accurately reflects the mechanics of play, but not the depth of the game. The depth of the game is not obvious from the demo.

Oh, and stick siege is good fun. It is NOT intellectually challenging, but it's like an artistically unpolished version of heavy crossbow with better controls.

[quote name='fake larry']And in response to a few others after that:
What I'm saying is that the decisions are obvious and the AI is also poor (maybe on purpose). So there's rarely any meaningful decision since 99% of the time there's a completely obvious choice. That includes passing to avoid chains from the opponent as well as passing up stronger damaging moves to block the use of the opponents cards. When to organize cards is obvious. What to upgrade first is obvious. Etc. Etc.

This is coming from someone who knows A LOT about games. A lot of computer science graduate school (though I haven't finished my masters). I have a very good understanding of game design (boardgames, card games, computer games, etc).

I consider my time very valuable so I'm very picky about the games I play. In the long run I don't see this game being very intellectually rewarding. It's primarily a luck based grind-fest.[/QUOTE]

I've really been enjoying sword and poker the past couple days. Glad I followed up on the recs here. Can't beat it for 99c. I'd be curious to hear some of larry's recs since he claims to be so knowledgeable of great game design.

bread's done
Back