iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='walletandgromice']Dark Nebula gives the "item being modified" message right now... Hopefully this will change before the weekend is up :)[/QUOTE]

I was getting that message before, however it seems to be working now.

Guy and girls please help me
i just bought an iphone off of craigslist
i got home and stuck headphones in and the only audio coming through was coming out of the iphones built in speakers , can someone tell me whats wrong
is there a settings page where i can change it , or is the iphone broken
please help.

[quote name='AndrewsAwesome4']Guy and girls please help me
i just bought an iphone off of craigslist
i got home and stuck headphones in and the only audio coming through was coming out of the iphones built in speakers , can someone tell me whats wrong
is there a settings page where i can change it , or is the iphone broken
please help.[/QUOTE]

Sounds broken. Do you know when the person may have purchased it? Can maybe get lucky at the apple store with a warranty situation.

[quote name='j0dy77']Sounds broken. Do you know when the person may have purchased it? Can maybe get lucky at the apple store with a warranty situation.[/QUOTE]

I just got off the phone with Apple Support and they told me that they unactivated the phone 2 1/2 months ago because something to do with firmware hacking , But idk . I guess I am out 200 Dollars because the seller wont answer any of my calls : ( [ I officially wont ever use Craigslist EVER ]

[quote name='AndrewsAwesome4']I just got off the phone with Apple Support and they told me that they unactivated the phone 2 1/2 months ago because something to do with firmware hacking , But idk . I guess I am out 200 Dollars because the seller wont answer any of my calls : ( [ I officially wont ever use Craigslist EVER ][/QUOTE]

Just restore it in itunes and take it to an AT&T store and tell them it was a relative's phone and they gave it to you and you want to use it.

Sword&Poker is great, anyone have tips or strategies to go with it? All I have to say is that the Iron Hammer absolutely demoilishes everything so far (I just beat the 1st big boss on the 5th floor).

[quote name='Malik112099']Just restore it in itunes and take it to an AT&T store and tell them it was a relative's phone and they gave it to you and you want to use it.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure Apple is a bit more savvy than simply restoring the iphone and making up a story. Even if you make up a story, I'm pretty sure that AT&T and Apple can communicate about the status of the phone and they'll explain that your relative got their phone banned due to jailbreaking.

Best bet is to try and figure out why it's not working with headphones and then re-jailbreaking it if it isn't currently. If not, just use it as a Touch without headphone support and cut your losses.

[quote name='etcrane']I'm pretty sure Apple is a bit more savvy than simply restoring the iphone and making up a story. Even if you make up a story, I'm pretty sure that AT&T and Apple can communicate about the status of the phone and they'll explain that your relative got their phone banned due to jailbreaking.

Best bet is to try and figure out why it's not working with headphones and then re-jailbreaking it if it isn't currently. If not, just use it as a Touch without headphone support and cut your losses.[/QUOTE]

I have absolutely no idea what Jail-Breaking is , Is it illegal . Or does it just update it to the newest firmware : /

[quote name='AndrewsAwesome4']I have absolutely no idea what Jail-Breaking is , Is it illegal . Or does it just update it to the newest firmware : /[/QUOTE]
If it is jailbroken just unjailbreak it by downloading the latest firmware from Apple. There is no way they can tell. You can rejailbreak it later if need be.

I can't believe you didn't test it before you gave him the money though.

[quote name='Malik112099']Just restore it in itunes and take it to an AT&T store and tell them it was a relative's phone and they gave it to you and you want to use it.[/QUOTE]
That won't work. The Apple warranty is only good until there is one known hack. They can trace down the serial on the phone to that person.

In some states you could sue for mail fraud.

I seriously doubt they blacklist devices. Just do a restore as previously suggested, then try to get it activated. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. If these other commenters have you paranoid, just don't lie and you have nothing to lose.

Apple is certainly within their rights to void a warranty on a jailbroken phone, but you can still use it on the AT&T network regardless. Just do a restore and you ought to be fine.

[quote name='mkernan']I seriously doubt they blacklist devices. Just do a restore as previously suggested, then try to get it activated. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. If these other commenters have you paranoid, just don't lie and you have nothing to lose.

Apple is certainly within their rights to void a warranty on a jailbroken phone, but you can still use it on the AT&T network regardless. Just do a restore and you ought to be fine.[/QUOTE]

I think you underestimate Apple and their policies but then, there's no way I can be sure and don't want to start any fearmongering, so yeah, it's probably best just to actually go into a store and try it.

[quote name='AndrewsAwesome4']I just got off the phone with Apple Support and they told me that they unactivated the phone 2 1/2 months ago because something to do with firmware hacking , But idk . I guess I am out 200 Dollars because the seller wont answer any of my calls : ( [ I officially wont ever use Craigslist EVER ][/QUOTE]

Just stick it up on Craigslist and sell it.

[quote name='cycophuk']Just stick it up on Craigslist and sell it.[/QUOTE]
"Do something stupid? Find someone stupider and pass the buck!" What crappy advice, cyco. I hope you were joking, though I doubt it...

Anybody know how long it takes for Apple to have refurbs of their current generation of equipment? Would like to buy a refurb iPod Touch direct from Apple.com but they only have second generation models on their site right now.

p.s.
Does anybody know if they sale refurbs at the B&M Apple stores? I tried to call but they never answer the phones there.

[quote name='Final Starman']Sword&Poker is great, anyone have tips or strategies to go with it? All I have to say is that the Iron Hammer absolutely demoilishes everything so far (I just beat the 1st big boss on the 5th floor).[/QUOTE]

the chaos magic move and any weapon with paralyze destroy just about everything-you can kill a lot of enemies with this combo without them ever getting a move. I'm on the last boss now I think-level b36f- I've been getting owned by the dude and his resist to magic and 666 health.

I've spent hours and hours on this game and would probably say its my favorite iphone game to date.

[quote name='ajh2298']Anybody know how long it takes for Apple to have refurbs of their current generation of equipment? Would like to buy a refurb iPod Touch direct from Apple.com but they only have second generation models on their site right now.

p.s.
Does anybody know if they sale refurbs at the B&M Apple stores? I tried to call but they never answer the phones there.[/QUOTE]

They don't sell refurb items at the B&M stores. They are only available online unfortunately. I finally bit on a refurbished 16gb 2nd gen because I've been holding out for so long and they replace the outer shell with a new one unlike whatever they are selling on craigslist. (Asking price is about the same now too with apple offering 20% off.) Also, even though there is a small performance difference between 2nd and 3rd, it's not signifigant enough to make me pay another 100-150 for it. I personally couldn't tell.

Also talked to my friends about it and they all said get the applecare. They have all used it at least once during the two years and it paid itself off. Battery replacement is about 80 bucks without applecare and it seems you're guaranteed to do it at least once within two years.

If you're going to wait longer for 3rd gen, they *might* sell it after Febuary after apple expo or in June when they announce the new line of updated products. But it won't be for more than 5-10% off and not really worth the wait. (In my opinion of course.)

Oh and one more thing... you're going to end up buying the firmware update for 5 bucks. I was hoping that it would have came with it but no dice.

[quote name='Hostile']Hook Champ got another update.[/QUOTE]
New DLC character (Same abilities as Gunny.) with some alright new banter. Best part of the update is the new set of challenge levels which are actually GOOD for once. Some much needed variety without feeling like cheesy LAVA HOPPING FOREVER or STUPID FAST GHOST nonsense.

That said, you still have to memorize the path that has the money to actually beat the local high scores, but the fun here is in just surviving these ass-rapingly hard levels.

Good update. I need to stop buying their DLC chars though.

I only paid $1 for the game and I hope they told the truth when they said there would be no more paid DLC because I'll probably pay for both DLC characters.

[quote name='Hostile']I only paid $1 for the game and I hope they told the truth when they said there would be no more paid DLC because I'll probably pay for both DLC characters.[/QUOTE]

Posted on touch arcade forums from Kepa, the developer:

"We'll never offer level packs via paid DLC, for any game, ever. I hate it when DLC pulls that. Obvious exceptions: If we made DLC that was basically a huge expansion pack (big enough to count as a sequel), or we made a "first chapter is free" game where you bought a chapter at a time for 99 cents (like Rolando 2)."

"In hindsight, I'm going to admit that we shouldn't have made Hookbot paid DLC, we should have just made the DLC cosmetic. Hookbot is really just too handy for people struggling with the game, or people that want to explore. I'm against charging for new levels in DLC, so that should really extend to charging for such functional content.

I had good intentions: I didn't want to do cosmetic only DLC because I thought it was too lazy. What we're going to try is this: Doing cosmetic DLC, but making it as flashy as we can. This will hopefully still reward people that buy the DLC, while not excluding people that don't buy the DLC.

Farther in the future, we may also experiment with expansion packs: That is, DLC so big that it counts as a sequel, with major new features, completely new story and characters, etc. Not for Hook Champ, though. At this point, we'd probably want to rewrite the whole engine to do things that we can't do well with current limitations. These things are a growing laundry list that I could get into later."

+3 for Sword and Poker. The screenshots and descriptions of the game sounded, forgive me, dumb. But after all the rave reviews I finally downloaded the lite version while sitting in a coffee shop for an hour and was hooked. I bought the full version before I left.

If you're any sort of fan of poker or turn based strategy (odd combination, I know, but it works insanely well), check out the lite. The description of the game says it's at a 75% off intro price meaning it'll shortly jump to $3.99, so find out if it's your thing while you can at $0.99!

I'll repeat that I'm not much of a Poker player (not to say I hate the game) but is Glu's World Series of Poker Hold’em Legend good?

[quote name='Hostile']I'll repeat that I'm not much of a Poker player (not to say I hate the game) but is Glu's World Series of Poker Hold’em Legend good?[/QUOTE]
It's very good. Controls are fantastic. A single tap skips every animation to your turn. Double tap to check. Slide chips/cards to fold/all in. Tap to make a bet wheel.

The tournament mode has lots of tables to buy into as well as dorky poker archetype boss characters at a couple tables and weaker players who give off tells if they have a good hand or a weak hand.

It's solid, it isn't challenging that early on, it gives you a meter to show your relative hand strength... it is a damn good poker game.

[quote name='ViolentLee']"Do something stupid? Find someone stupider and pass the buck!" What crappy advice, cyco. I hope you were joking, though I doubt it...[/QUOTE]

Actually I was just being sarcastic to the posts telling him to try to scam Apple by offering him an easier solution. It wasn't meant to be taken seriously because I figured everyone here would be smarter than that.

[quote name='HumpsMcLovin']I don't know if this has been mentioned. I haven't seen it.

freeappaday.com is basically the Appvent calendar.

Navy Patrol: Coastal Defense is free on it today.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but today is the 17th and that shows that the deal was on the 1st and nothing has been updated since.

bread's done
Back