iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
If I jailbreak my 3GS, does it affect my warranty in any way? Or can I just restore it to factory default settings and be good to go? I only have 4 pages of apps taken up, but I want to add more and really don't want more pages. -_-

[quote name='Apathetic-Irony']If I jailbreak my 3GS, does it affect my warranty in any way? Or can I just restore it to factory default settings and be good to go? I only have 4 pages of apps taken up, but I want to add more and really don't want more pages. -_-[/QUOTE]

If you jailbreak and then need to take it to att/apple for anything just restore it in itunes first

[quote name='WiiDSmoker']Everyone buy Tumbledrop. It's on sale for .99. Awesome puzzle game. Has great art style as well.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I bought this last night. Really well done, really cute/neat art style, fun gameplay. Rather than cramming some console-like experience onto the phone, this is a great game for these devices.

[quote name='Hostile']I am T-Pain is $0.99.[/QUOTE]

I have no idea who T-Pain is, what he sings or what he sounds like, will I get my 99cents worth out of this?

[quote name='LuisRM']I have no idea who T-Pain is, what he sings or what he sounds like, will I get my 99cents worth out of this?[/QUOTE]

Yes, you will ... although it's presented under the premise of being a "T-pain" app ... it's actually a fully functional, portable version of Antares Auto Tune ... which is awesome and somewhat amazing. Basically if you're a fan of music / audiophile and enjoy messing around with technology it's well worth it.

Anytime you hear a singer that has a little bit of a metallic or robotic techno-ish twang to their voice, that's auto tune and while you can sing t-pain's songs with it ... you can also sing anything in a free mode using auto tune and play it back. The secret is to use your headphone mic if you have an iphone, as the quality of the vocal tuning is far more noticeable. Frankly, I endorse almost every app that's been made by Smule and I think at .99 cents you will get a kick out of this app, regardless of your affinity for T-Pain or rap in general.

[quote name='LuisRM']I have no idea who T-Pain is, what he sings or what he sounds like, will I get my 99cents worth out of this?[/QUOTE]
because there is no black people in minnesota...
Look decent, its 99c, your choice IMO

Just make sure if you do download it, it's on an iphone, not the Touch. Doesn't work on the Touch. (unless something has changed recently)

[quote name='fake larry']rofl[/QUOTE]

Dude ... show me anything closer to Auto Tune on your iphone? It uses the same technology ... oh and it costs .99 cents instead of ... oh, I don't know ... $400 ... so by fully functional, I mean for the platform. It's still auto tune masked under the T-Pain license.

[quote name='cycophuk']Just make sure if you do download it, it's on an iphone, not the Touch. Doesn't work on the Touch. (unless something has changed recently)[/QUOTE]
It works on my 3G Touch. You will of course, need a microphone.

I don't know how many of you are musicians but there has been a ton of price drops on music apps, far too many to list (since I'm on my phone) but check Bargain Bin. Lots of synths, recording, and midi/osc apps. I'm curious about iosc, but i think touchosc is the safer bet, but it's not on sale...

I think these are on sale to capitalize on the iPad announcement because the iPad is possibly going to render the Jazzmutant Lemur irrelevant.

[quote name='DtotheP']8bitone is $.99 again. Grabbit![/QUOTE]What's the ease of use for 8bitone? Are there any tutorials either in the application or online, that you know of?

I might go ahead and get it just for kicks, since I didn't delve too deeply into the Korg DS-10, but got some pretty great results with a bit of time.

[quote name='etcrane']Yes, you will ... although it's presented under the premise of being a "T-pain" app ... it's actually a fully functional, portable version of Antares Auto Tune ... which is awesome and somewhat amazing. Basically if you're a fan of music / audiophile and enjoy messing around with technology it's well worth it.[/QUOTE]

One quick note (and I know I'm being "that guy",) I wouldn't say I Am T-Pain is a "fully functional" version of Antares Auto Tune in anyway shape or form. It does one thing and one thing only. It creates a reasonable facsimile of the popular "Auto Tune" vocal effect, but it does not offer the kind of pitch correction the software was actually designed for nor does it offer anywhere near the kind of control over the robovocal effects that the actual software allows.

That said, it is also a fraction of the cost of the real thing, runs on an iPhone and doesn't require a DAW/mic/pre/etc. I bought this the day it was released at full price and got my money's worth in the first day alone. I can't recommend this app enough, for the novelity factor and for roping drunken friends into freestyling over the beats. It's impressive for what it is, but it's not quite the real thing. Just don't want anyone to get confused. (The effect is pretty cool, but even more amazing is using the real software as intented and fixing a vocal or instrument track that would other wise be trash. That it works so well still blows my mind.)

Also, about 8bitone, like all Yudo's apps, it's not terribly user friendly and the docs (at least when I looked) were mostly in Japanese. However, if you've used soft synths before, you should be able to fumble around and get where you need to. Another app I paid full price for with no regrets. It's pretty fully functioned and 99 cents is a steal.

[quote name='Captain Wrong']One quick note (and I know I'm being "that guy",) I wouldn't say I Am T-Pain is a "fully functional" version of Antares Auto Tune in anyway shape or form. It does one thing and one thing only. It creates a reasonable facsimile of the popular "Auto Tune" vocal effect, but it does not offer the kind of pitch correction the software was actually designed for nor does it offer anywhere near the kind of control over the robovocal effects that the actual software allows.

That said, it is also a fraction of the cost of the real thing, runs on an iPhone and doesn't require a DAW/mic/pre/etc. I bought this the day it was released at full price and got my money's worth in the first day alone. I can't recommend this app enough, for the novelity factor and for roping drunken friends into freestyling over the beats. It's impressive for what it is, but it's not quite the real thing. Just don't want anyone to get confused. (The effect is pretty cool, but even more amazing is using the real software as intented and fixing a vocal or instrument track that would other wise be trash. That it works so well still blows my mind.)

Also, about 8bitone, like all Yudo's apps, it's not terribly user friendly and the docs (at least when I looked) were mostly in Japanese. However, if you've used soft synths before, you should be able to fumble around and get where you need to. Another app I paid full price for with no regrets. It's pretty fully functioned and 99 cents is a steal.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps the term fully functional wasn't the best choice of words, my meaning was that it functions above and beyond being some gimmicky rapper audio game, which if you go in knowing nothing about it, you might assume to be the case. Like I said earlier, it's the only app of it's kind on the App store as far as I know and it's a reasonable facsimile of what you would get if you were an amateur playing around with auto tune for the first time. Bottom line is that Auto Tune can cost between $200 to $400 dollars and this is a 99 cent itunes app ... it's fully functional in the sense that you're getting a dollar worth of the Auto Tune experience ;) but for those of you looking for a true Antares Auto Tune experience ... yeah, that's probably not going to be happening any time soon with an itunes microphone and your iphone app

Oh and 8 bit is on the other side of the spectrum ... it's impressive from a technical perspective but it's definitely not user friendly and I had a hard time keeping any level of interest in it after messing around with it once. It's actually the opposite of T-Pain in some regards, as it can do a whole lot but has a steep learning curve ... where as T Pain loads, you press a button, you sing and you save ... then you play it back the next day when everyone is sober and realize how bad that group rendition of 'Don't Stop Believing' really sounded, even with Auto Tune. T-Pain is probably the more "fun" of the two apps imo.

[quote name='yukine']It works on my 3G Touch. You will of course, need a microphone.[/QUOTE]

No shit? I remember the last time it went on sale. It was during the first topic. People were saying that it wouldn't work for the Touch and there was a lot of general bitching about it. That's awesome that it works for the Touch and I'll have to pick it up if that's the case.

Thanks for all the responses on T-Pain. I'll mess around with it for a buck.

Oh and I did enjoy the two posts after mine (no and then yes).

[quote name='Captain Wrong']Also, about 8bitone, like all Yudo's apps, it's not terribly user friendly and the docs (at least when I looked) were mostly in Japanese.[/QUOTE]Mostly? Try completely! Yeah, it's always a bit jarring to click the how-to button on the menu and be greeted by a wall of Japanese, heh.

But, I took your advice and don't regret it. My biggest complaint about it is that all the dials are too small and fiddly, I wind up overshooting my desired setting half the time, or it spazzes out completely. But, I'm experimenting with all of it and finding it somewhat easy enough. I'm guessing you use the noise filter for drums?

Hell, I amused myself by messing with the LFO depth and speed settings to make various 8-bit siren and laser sound effects for 10 minutes.

I saw that Trism 2 announcement yesterday; is the first Trism any good? I've been following the thread a while and don't remember anybody ever recommending it. Seems to be highly regarded in the press.

I wasn't a fan of the original Trism, though certainly lots of people were at the time. It's a glorified bejeweled, but if you like that category of game you will probably like it, probably even a lot. I'm not much of a fan of Bejeweled, so there you go.

Judgment Day War is free until Monday. Super Slyder is free until they decide they want to start charging for it again. Grab another shooter and a puzzler to add to your backlog. . .I did!

[quote name='Malik112099']While at its core it is a match 3 type game, other than that Trism couldn't be any more different than Bejeweled.[/QUOTE]

It's, as you note, a match 3 game, and while it may be a better/more interesting one, if you aren't a fan of match 3 games, you probably aren't going to be a fan of Trism. That's what I meant. The other issue I had with Trism is that it's kind of annoying because you essentially have to play the game with your iPhone cockeyed - it's designed such that "up" is at an angle. If you held your iPhone upright you couldn't be sure which way the tiles would fall, left or right. I just found that kind of annoying, which on top of my not being a big fan of match 3 games, didn't help matters.

8bitone has an English website and is pretty user friendly considering it's closest relative is a note tracker and good luck getting the average Joe Schmo to figure one of those out.

It's like you have to beg people here to buy a $.99 app sometimes. This used to be a place where buddies would recommend apps to each other because they got enjoyment out of them but now it's as if nothing is ever good enough.

It breaks my heart but I think I'm done with this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DtotheP']8bitone has an English website and is pretty user friendly considering it's closest relative is a note tracker and good luck getting the average Joe Schmo to figure one of those out.

It's like you have to beg people here to buy a $.99 app sometimes. This used to be a place where buddies would recommend apps to each other because they got enjoyment out of them but now it's as if nothing is good ever good enough.

It breaks my heart but I think I'm done with this forum.[/QUOTE]

Dude, not that I'm entirely lacking in the area of compassion but isn't that being just a tad melodramatic ... it's a forum, we all don't always agree on apps and when many are free, sometimes folks don't want to drop 99 cents on an app. There's no need to leave the board because of the discussions we have, and if you feel that passionate about an app, then simply tell your side of the story and if you like it, you like it, and that's more power to you.

I agree with etcrane.

I've done plenty of begging to get people to buy some cheap apps, but there are just some that won't have it, and that's their misfortune. Enjoy the greatness that you find on the store and just hope others will follow suit, but don't worry too much if they refuse.

I didn't mean to sound dramatic, but after a while I feel like an app apologist or something, or I see others having to qualify every positive claim they make about an app like a few posts back that guy recommended the t-pain app. It just gets annoying.

[quote name='DtotheP']8bitone has an English website and is pretty user friendly considering it's closest relative is a note tracker and good luck getting the average Joe Schmo to figure one of those out.

It's like you have to beg people here to buy a $.99 app sometimes. This used to be a place where buddies would recommend apps to each other because they got enjoyment out of them but now it's as if nothing is ever good enough.

It breaks my heart but I think I'm done with this forum.[/QUOTE]

Don't be ridiculous. If some people have a stick up their ass about spending $1, so be it. Make your recommendations, listen to others, ignore the haters. This is a valuable resource, regardless of whether or not some contributors have differing opinions on some apps.

At least 4 or 5 times this week, I've abstained from downloading free games because they just didn't look all that great, I have more apps than will fit on home screens, and plenty of genuinely good games I just haven't even played yet.

I recommend buying "The Creeps!" for $0.99. It's a steal at that price. One of the most fun tower defense games out there. And hours upon hours of gameplay. The game is easily worth twice the going rate now. Get it get it get it. I'm begging you. Ha. Just kidding. Not begging. I just highly recommend the game. I'm hooked on it.

[quote name='crunchewy']It's, as you note, a match 3 game, and while it may be a better/more interesting one, if you aren't a fan of match 3 games, you probably aren't going to be a fan of Trism. That's what I meant. The other issue I had with Trism is that it's kind of annoying because you essentially have to play the game with your iPhone cockeyed - it's designed such that "up" is at an angle. If you held your iPhone upright you couldn't be sure which way the tiles would fall, left or right. I just found that kind of annoying, which on top of my not being a big fan of match 3 games, didn't help matters.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='107proof']I recommend buying "The Creeps!" for $0.99. It's a steal at that price. One of the most fun tower defense games out there. And hours upon hours of gameplay. The game is easily worth twice the going rate now. Get it get it get it. I'm begging you. Ha. Just kidding. Not begging. I just highly recommend the game. I'm hooked on it.[/QUOTE]

Hey I just picked up " the creeps " and I have to admit it is pretty damn good , and I dont even normally enjoy Tower Defense type games . Thanks for telling about it : )

[quote name='iiinightmar3ii']I wish rock band would drop to $5 and then I would be all over it. It been the same price forever except for that one time when they dropped it a $1.[/QUOTE]

Just J-Break and install install0us ( I dont do it because it is pirating which is a NO NO .....what dont look at me ....I promise I dont use it ...hehe ) but seriously support the makers of the game with yo money : )

bread's done
Back