iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='blu_yu_away']Been following the thread for a while now and have seen plenty of mention of freeappaday.com. Today I stumbled across Open Feint's free game a day page. One open feint enabled game a day for free. Looking back at the calender for February it looks like there is some crossover for freeappaday.com (whenever the game is open feint enabled). Today's free game is Air Assault. Anywhay here is a link to the site for anyone else who wasn't aware.

http://freegameoftheday.com/[/QUOTE]

Good call. Also, if you install the standalone OpenFeint app, it features the free daily app within it.

Space Miner is a must buy at $2. You'd be an idiot not to, and I think they're idiots for dropping it so low this early. I would've bought it the second they dropped it even a dollar and now that I'm playing it, I find it easily worth it.

Also, I just noticed a bunch of Reiner Knizia games on the app store. No Lost Cities, sadly, but Poison, Money, and Knights of Charlemagne are all great time-wasters.

Catacombs was just released for $1, I was going to be all over it until I noticed that it already has a level pack as an in app purchase for an additional $1. Now it might be worth it but it just really pisses me off when they releaese DLC on day one. I can understand it as an expansion when they work on it after the fame is selling but I don't like being sold half a game. It sucks because I was really looking forward to this one, guess I can wait for the eventual free sale and buy the rest of the game then. :lol:

http://appshopper.com/games/catacombs

[quote name='hollowfreak']Catacombs was just released for $1, I was going to be all over it until I noticed that it already has a level pack as an in app purchase for an additional $1. Now it might be worth it but it just really pisses me off when they releaese DLC on day one. I can understand it as an expansion when they work on it after the fame is selling but I don't like being sold half a game. It sucks because I was really looking forward to this one, guess I can wait for the eventual free sale and buy the rest of the game then. :lol:

http://appshopper.com/games/catacombs[/QUOTE]
It's an attempt to combat rampant iphone game piracy. Far as I know, DLC can't be pirated. Developers got to eat, and these games are already dirt cheap.

[quote name='AaronChance']It's an attempt to combat rampant iphone game piracy. Far as I know, DLC can't be pirated. Developers got to eat, and these games are already dirt cheap.[/QUOTE]

Actually, DLC can be pirated. I think it's harder to do, but it certainly is done. As always, I advocate for supporting the developers by buying their games if you like it.

[quote name='prayformojo']Space Miner is that the Mass Effect game for the ipod[/QUOTE]

I think that's supposed to be a joke, but in case its not a joke, no, its the Mass Effect game for ipod. Although, there is one called Mass Effect: Galaxy.

Mass Effect Galaxy was AWFUL. I spent more time loading than playing and the gameplay was meh. It didn't even seem to have a major effect on the story when you picked the various dialogue options.

[quote name='hollowfreak']Trundle just got an update, added another level and other stuff and it's still free apparently the developers aren't very hungry. Lol. I'd give them my stripper bait rather than wasting it on the gluttonous and overfed. j/k :lol:

http://appshopper.com/games/trundle[/QUOTE]
Trundle looks extremely cool. I really like the screen shots. Time to wedge another title onto my already-bloated Pod. Godbless you, CAGers. . .

There are some fairly good free games today. My Brute and freeappaday's 4X4 Jam might be the best. I'd be able to try out some of the other new ones I just downloaded but my wife is busy playing My Brute...

Just got My Brute (been watching it since launch, free was what I was waiting for) and Space Miner. Thanks guys!

Also, just a question. Anybody else have a problem getting Angry Birds running? I start it up, and it gets to the load screen, then exits out of the app completely.

[quote name='GamerChris']you may need to restart your iphone/ipod touch.[/QUOTE]

I have done that twice. Really have no clue. Oh well. I guess it's just 99 cents.

Also, Space Miner, from what little I have played, seems incredible.

d/l space miner now.

Thanks for everyone who posts the deals, I have picked up a lot of good games at the cheap or free that I would have never found.

[quote name='DietPoopSoda']Also, just a question. Anybody else have a problem getting Angry Birds running? I start it up, and it gets to the load screen, then exits out of the app completely.[/QUOTE]
Mine works fine. I did have it crash once when I updated it, but after that I havent had any trouble with it.

Ok, I got the touch back...
Both Magnetic Joe games are free and seem halfway decent. Nothing great but worth trying out if they look interesting to you.
SteamPunk Hockey is free again and is a slightly different take on the whole air hockey style game.
Steam Wars is also free (OpenFeint's free game). I've played it the least but it seems like a pretty good game.

Those are the games I picked up in the past few hours, I'd say it is as good as haul of free games as I've seen at one time, once again especially My Brute and 4X4 Jam.

My Brute uses a Dojo master feature to encourage users to promote the game I suppose. You get a "secret code" to give out that provides certain advantages to users. It sounds like they are essentially the same for all dojos, the only differences are if you chose snake, cat or bear. Depending on how many people join your dojo, I believe you gain certain advantages. However, it would seem only goes to the master, it would seem it makes no difference if you join a dojo with many or few pupils. I'd suggest new users join each other's so they kind of "share" the advantages rather than all just joining some big dojo. On that note my "secret" code is: HEIDIIFE and I chose the bear (I hope it's ok to post here, if not please delete that part of my post).

devil invasion just came out and is on sale for .99, its a match 3 rpg, looks to be like puzzle quest...I haven't played it yet but could be a good one.

Guerilla Bob, possibly the best dual stick shooter on the iPhone, is on sale for .99 for 48 hours. It's has similar graphics as Minigore and loads of polish. If you have any interest in ual stick shooters you MUST pick this game up. It's normally 3 bucks.

Any more opinion on guerilla bob. I was really excited when it first came out but the reviews haven't been that perfect. It seems like the game is too short, the control is too slow, and the save system is broken? Any thought fellow CAGs?

I'm going to go ahead and buy Guerilla Bob at $0.99. Published by Chillingo (publishers of iDracula), I have high hopes for it. The screen shots look great.

[quote name='DietPoopSoda']I have done that twice. Really have no clue. Oh well. I guess it's just 99 cents.

Also, Space Miner, from what little I have played, seems incredible.[/QUOTE]

Disconnect from your local network, maybe it is an issue with that new open-fient-like program they integrated? Couldn't hurt to try.

I'm in search of a good match 3/collapse type game. The free offerings I've picked up just aren't cutting it. None seem to have an enjoyable survival mode. Any good recommendations? I have my eyes on Critter Crunch but 2.99 is pretty pricey for what I usually spend on apps. Any opinions?

[quote name='hbomb']Any more opinion on guerilla bob. I was really excited when it first came out but the reviews haven't been that perfect. It seems like the game is too short, the control is too slow, and the save system is broken? Any thought fellow CAGs?[/QUOTE]

It isnt that bad of a game but the controls feel as if you have to hold the virtual anolog sticks for 5 seconds to barely move the the left/right . There might be a settings page to change this but so far I havent found it . If I do I will tell you....if I remember

[quote name='Dimsdale']In non-gaming news, AirVideo's price has dropped to $1.99 (http://appshopper.com/utilities/air-video). I use this app every day to stream videos from my MacPro to my iTouch. It works great and I highly recommend it. There's even a free lite version if you want to try it out with your setup before taking the plunge.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up! This app works amazingly well.

Another Chillingo title, Horror Racing, is also on sale for a buck. It's an old school top down racer. Lacks multiplayer but I've enjoyed it so far.

[quote name='blu_yu_away']I'm in search of a good match 3/collapse type game. The free offerings I've picked up just aren't cutting it. None seem to have an enjoyable survival mode. Any good recommendations? I have my eyes on Critter Crunch but 2.99 is pretty pricey for what I usually spend on apps. Any opinions?[/QUOTE]My favorite has always been Gemmed.

http://appshopper.com/games/Gemmed

+1 for Space Miner. Thanks for the recommendation. I decided on that over PvsZ for now. Never know when I'm finally going to get Zedonia, too many hot new games get my attention.

[quote name='donburns99']My favorite has always been Gemmed.

http://appshopper.com/games/Gemmed[/QUOTE]
Downloaded the lite version and will check it out later. Crappy that Free App a Day's free app is apparently the Lite version. Also, Stompem is free; a retro style puzzle game which touts over 400 puzzles. I downloaded it but haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

http://appshopper.com/games/stompem

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, Space Miner actually gets quite tough on Hard mode. The enemies are still cake, but the bosses will mess you up simply because their patterns are more slugfests rather than dodge and counter. You'll want to not let the ship upgrades get too far ahead of you so you can still go toe-to-toe with Scar. Still, again, the average enemies are no sweat so long as you avoid the magnetic mines and the iceteroids.

Fricken iceteroids. Those bastards play for KEEPS. Do not mess with them.

Also, Space Miner has the best boss theme ever.

Decided to jump on Space Miner after seeing all the rave reviews (and realizing how right everyone was about Sword & Poker). Looking forward to checking it out later.

All-in-one gamebox is $.99 and has 25 of the developers apps. it started out as 8 but keeps growing. Looks like an excellent value, just grabbed it myself.

Decided to pick up Space Miner... like everybody else. I'm downloading it now. If you want a quick game fix that's free, the people behind the Papi games, which are all mildly entertaining and worth a download, at least the free one), have their own Cave variant. That is you fly through a cave with one finger control. Tap anywhere to go up, let go to go down. Last as long as you can. What makes it repeatable are the online leaderboards. Anyway, the free version is SFCave. It's free (actually, ad-supported) and worth a download. There is a 99 cent version which adds some sort of 3D mode, but I haven't tried that.

bread's done
Back