iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='doodofdoods']All-in-one gamebox is $.99 and has 25 of the developers apps. it started out as 8 but keeps growing. Looks like an excellent value, just grabbed it myself.[/QUOTE]
A great deal indeed. I picked this up awhile ago for the same price, don't play it much myself. A lot of the games are fun though and for a buck you can't beat it they add games pretty frequently as well.

I'm not seeing the polish that was mentioned about Guerilla Bob, seriously a RPG can't take out a guy running with an explosive/flammable drum in one shot?

Anyway, Hysteria Project is free for today. I've been wanting to check this out for awhile now.

http://appshopper.com/games/hysteria-project

Space On-Air is also free, sorta like the World of Goo style gameplay but in reverse, you have to remove pieces without making the satellite dish fall below a certain mark.

http://appshopper.com/games/space-on-air

Decided to pick up Space Miner while it's on sale, and so far I think it was a worthy purchase. Thanks for the heads up! I like turning on the "thumb guide" option. That's a nice feature. It puts a small dot on screen near your spaceship that is relative to the position of your thumb on the virtual analog stick. Great idea!

Space Miner is fun. I can't do any of the Nav. Buoy missions. Any tips? I was planning on just max upgrading the ship and then blasting everything around the buoys. I will try the thumb guide.

I also picked up Taito's Arkanoid which dropped to $2.99 several days ago. I think it's definitely worth it if you like Arkanoid. In fact I think I'm going to put Space Miner on hold while I play Arkanoid. I always liked Arkanoid. I prefer this classic to the crazier variations out there. It's a very high quality conversion too. It has upgraded backgrounds, but with the option of the original backgrounds if you prefer, as well as the difficulty options, starting number of lives options and paddles as lives or barriers variations. Also it has good OpenFeint integration with achievements and the works (added in a recent update).

One word of warning - I think there's a bug as when I was at a path selection screen and quit out of the game, when I went back I had to start over. Normally it saves your state. I'm not 100% sure that it's related to the path selection (every 5 levels you can choose a path left or right), but that is where I was when this happened. Otherwise the game is flawless as far as I can tell.

[quote name='crunchewy']I also picked up Taito's Arkanoid which dropped to $2.99 several days ago. I think it's definitely worth it if you like Arkanoid. In fact I think I'm going to put Space Miner on hold while I play Arkanoid. I always liked Arkanoid. I prefer this classic to the crazier variations out there. It's a very high quality conversion too. It has upgraded backgrounds, but with the option of the original backgrounds if you prefer, as well as the difficulty options, starting number of lives options and paddles as lives or barriers variations. Also it has good OpenFeint integration with achievements and the works (added in a recent update).[/QUOTE]

Ah, thanks, I was looking at that and wondering if it was worth it (after getting burned on Arkanoid DS -- which is terrible, btw -- recently, I was feeling wary). Will have to pick it up.

Atari's iphone version of Super Breakout is also pretty good if you're into this type of game.

I finally got around to setting up my account and downloaded a few free games. I saw sudoku was free so got that. I could have saved $10 or so if I had an ipod touch before I bought some of the DSi sudoku games, oh well. Back to looking for more interesting games that are free.

Oh as a followup, does the account operate like an Xbox Live account where when I finally get an ipod touch and sign in on it, I can just go to a part of my account and download everything in my history without having to search for it all on the store?

[quote name='2000man']Space Miner is fun. I can't do any of the Nav. Buoy missions. Any tips? I was planning on just max upgrading the ship and then blasting everything around the buoys. I will try the thumb guide.[/QUOTE]
Nav Buoy missions? Are you talking the satellites for the alien man's ALIEN TECH-O-TRON that you touch causing hell to rain down on you? Or the Alien Code missions?

For the former, just make like you're the Bandit and the robots are smokeys. Run far, run fast, and make them keep up with you. That's a great way to fight one at a time.

For the latter, you're probably fighting the leetspeak rogue droid boss who is a tough cookie. Just try to stay away from him when he goes crazy and fires everywhere or mega-rapidly.

[quote name='Ryukahn']I finally got around to setting up my account and downloaded a few free games. I saw sudoku was free so got that. I could have saved $10 or so if I had an ipod touch before I bought some of the DSi sudoku games, oh well. Back to looking for more interesting games that are free.

Oh as a followup, does the account operate like an Xbox Live account where when I finally get an ipod touch and sign in on it, I can just go to a part of my account and download everything in my history without having to search for it all on the store?[/QUOTE]

You mean on iTunes? If you buy something through iTunes, you need to download it right away. I'm not certain, but my impression is that if you don't, you would have to go purchase it again to download it again. Then when you get an iPod, you sync the apps that you have saved on your computer to the iPod.

The easiest way would be to download it/everything to your pc because as far as I know there's no download history that you can go to and redownload everything. I could be wrong but I haven't found a way yet. But as far as redownloading stuff you've previously purchased, it'll look like you're about to purchase it again but right before it starts to download it'll give you a message that you already purchased it would you like to download it again.

On a side note in iTunes you can print a list of your apps, the current ones on your pc, to keep track of what you have. I print mine as a pdf file.

[quote name='Ryukahn']I finally got around to setting up my account and downloaded a few free games. I saw sudoku was free so got that. I could have saved $10 or so if I had an ipod touch before I bought some of the DSi sudoku games, oh well. Back to looking for more interesting games that are free.

Oh as a followup, does the account operate like an Xbox Live account where when I finally get an ipod touch and sign in on it, I can just go to a part of my account and download everything in my history without having to search for it all on the store?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='_heretic']You mean on iTunes? If you buy something through iTunes, you need to download it right away. I'm not certain, but my impression is that if you don't, you would have to go purchase it again to download it again. Then when you get an iPod, you sync the apps that you have saved on your computer to the iPod.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='hollowfreak']The easiest way would be to download it/everything to your pc because as far as I know there's no download history that you can go to and redownload everything. I could be wrong but I haven't found a way yet. But as far as redownloading stuff you've previously purchased, it'll look like you're about to purchase it again but right before it starts to download it'll give you a message that you already purchased it would you like to download it again.

On a side note in iTunes you can print a list of your apps, the current ones on your pc, to keep track of what you have. I print mine as a pdf file.[/QUOTE]

There is a purchase history if you go into your account info. It will let you define a date range and view purchases, but its also going to show all the music and movies, etc. you may have purchased. Also, the purchase history just lists a name; it is not hyperlinked to the product page.

If you attempt to purchase something you've already purchased, iTunes will tell you 'you've already bought that, so you can re-download it now', but it doesn't inform you of that until you try to purchase it.

The easiest solution (as already mentioned) is to just download the stuff you're buying into iTunes and sync your future iPod/iPhone with that computer. If you end up needing to do it on a different computer (or format your hard drive before getting the iPod), you'll have to navigate to each app and "buy" it again to kick off the download.

In other words, there is no magic "re-download everything I've ever puchased" button.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Nav Buoy missions? Are you talking the satellites for the alien man's ALIEN TECH-O-TRON that you touch causing hell to rain down on you? Or the Alien Code missions?

For the former, just make like you're the Bandit and the robots are smokeys. Run far, run fast, and make them keep up with you. That's a great way to fight one at a time.

For the latter, you're probably fighting the leetspeak rogue droid boss who is a tough cookie. Just try to stay away from him when he goes crazy and fires everywhere or mega-rapidly.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I appreciate the tip.

Battle of Puppets is on sale for a buck which is 50% off. I bought it for full price and I enjoyed it. I'll see if I can find a link to a review.

[quote name='hollowfreak']The easiest way would be to download it/everything to your pc because as far as I know there's no download history that you can go to and redownload everything. I could be wrong but I haven't found a way yet. But as far as redownloading stuff you've previously purchased, it'll look like you're about to purchase it again but right before it starts to download it'll give you a message that you already purchased it would you like to download it again.

On a side note in iTunes you can print a list of your apps, the current ones on your pc, to keep track of what you have. I print mine as a pdf file.[/QUOTE]

Oops, my mistake. I guess I just looked at things I had previously purchased and saw the price, and assumed this meant they were going to charge me for it again if I tried to download it. Thanks for clearing that up.

The best deal on iTunes cards is to find good flips to Gamestop with the current 50% trade-in promo, then buy the iTunes card with that credit. At least my local GS has iTunes cards. It's a bit of work, but with the right attitude it can be entertaining. :)

Street Fighter Ipod/Iphone
price announced....hehe good luck capcom....freakin $9.99
There is also a character list announced but I lost the link , Sorry

Fly Kiwi, Fly! is on sale for .99 from 1.99.

For the casual pick up and play crowd this is a great game for a buck. Its a distance game with achievements and lots of upgrades you can get as you progress that make you go further and do better tricks. I've put in about an hour and half and have had a lot of fun, I really like the upgrade aspect of the game. I don't think its very long, probably a couple hours, but well worth a buck.

edit: ^^I watched a gameplay video for street fighter, the graphics look really nice, but man the controls really seem like your fingers would get in all sorts of the way

I'd like to hear some recommendations for some "must have" iTouch games.

Decided to make my 2nd gen iTouch my portable gaming gadget of choice. Upgrading the software to 3.0 (finally) and am willing to throw down some actual cash for some higher quality games. Budget limit is $3 per game.

Mainly interested in some pick up and play games and some full length RPGs. Currently have my eyes set on:

Plants vs. Zombies.
Zenonia.
Sword & Poker.

Would love to hear some comments on the above three games and of course, your personal recommendations.

Thanks!

[quote name='mis0']I'd like to hear some recommendations for some "must have" iTouch games.

Decided to make my 2nd gen iTouch my portable gaming gadget of choice. Upgrading the software to 3.0 (finally) and am willing to throw down some actual cash for some higher quality games. Budget limit is $3 per game.

Mainly interested in some pick up and play games and some full length RPGs. Currently have my eyes set on:

Plants vs. Zombies.
Zenonia.
Sword & Poker.

Would love to hear some comments on the above three games and of course, your personal recommendations.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

PvZ and Sword & Poker are my two favorite iPhone games ever, so I can't recommend them enough. Never played Zenonia though.

I can second Sword and Poker. It has some flaws, but it is a good, quirky game. I have only played P v. Z on the PC. I haven't played Zenonia.

[quote name='mis0']I'd like to hear some recommendations for some "must have" iTouch games.

Plants vs. Zombies.
Zenonia.
Sword & Poker.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Those 3 would be a great start and easily make my favorites. I have many many apps and the ones on the top of my list would be(in addition to those 3): Bird Strike, Spider: the secret of Brye Manor, Space Miner, iblast Moki, critter crunch, cartoon wars, fieldrunners, homerun battle 3d, rolando, and every popcap game(bejeweled 2, bookworm, chuzzle, peggle)

Havent tried Zenonia, but I can vouch for PvZ and S&P. Both are really good games (I prefer PvZ). You should also check out Angry Birds. Another really good game kinda like Boom Blox.

Plants vs. Zombies.
Zenonia.
Sword & Poker.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Definitely get Plants vs. Zombies and Sword & Poker. Those are most likely two of the best games on the iPod Touch. Also, Alive 4 Ever is really cool. I still play it and I bought it when it first came out.

I was going to suggest StoneLoops!, looked in the appstore to no avail, then googled that it was pulled due to a competitor complaint. Hrmph.

The same company has another game called Atlantis Sky Patrol ($2.99) in the same vein of Zuma types. Great reviews, but I'll wait to see if a sale ever happens since I already have StoneLoops! -- which is a great pick up and play game.

Don't get Luxor, just because they are the one's who cried foul. Boo! There's Atlantis Sky Patrol Lite that's free to try out.

PvZ, Zenonia, and S&P are great choices.

+1 Angry Birds
+1 Peggle
+1 Bejeweled 2
+1 Space Miner
+1 Spider: The Secret of Brye Manor

I'm addicted to Words with Friends, which has a free version w/ ads but I paid the $3 b/c the ads got annoying. I'm using an iPhone though; it might be somewhat less appealing without a persistent Internet connection.

Others I recommend: Hook Champ, Implode!, Tumbledrop, Canabalt.

Keeping a strict $2.99 and less budget, I can't suggest the following enough:

Alive 4-ever
Fieldrunners
geoDefense Swarm
Glyder 2
Need for Speed Underground (Is this still $2.99?)
Plants Vs. Zombies
Sword & Poker
Wolfenstein RPG (Is this still $2.99?)

Plants vs. Zombies.
Zenonia.
Sword & Poker.

Thanks![/QUOTE]
I'd recommend any of the PopCap titles (PvZ being my current fave). TapTap Revenge 2 (used to be free) and bitFLIP also get regular workouts. For sheer bang-for-the-buck, it's hard to ignore the 25-in-One GameBox (.99). I bought it when it was 14-in-One and the developers keep steadily releasing free updates for it. Nothing earth-shattering, but most of the titles are pretty well implemented and it's great for a quick diversion or two.

For the $2.99 limit recommendations... Taito's Arkanoid and Space Invaders are now $2.99 and I can recommend them both at that price, especially Arkanoid. Space Invaders only if you like Space Invaders, which I do, so there you go (in fact, I like it a lot more then Space Invaders Infinity Gene). They are both really good conversions, especially Arkanoid. Full OpenFeint support in both add to their value.

I love Angry Birds, only issue for me is that it doesn't have a way to skip levels (that I've found). I've had a trouble with some levels, only to be continue to be stuck on them for a few days. Also, get Space Miner immediately. Totally worth whatever the price. I put in about 8 hours, and it was totally worth it.

Sweet! Thanks for all the recommendations guys. Will definitely check all of them out once I get back home from class. :D

As stated, Sword and Poker and PvZ are two of the best Iphone / ipod Touch games available. Also, another +1 for Spider: The Secret of Brye Manor.

Other recommendations? If you like the Sim City games, the Iphone version is pretty good. I also enjoyed Song Summoner, but I highly recommend against buying it full price... though I don't know if it'll ever go on sale.

If you're looking for more options at RPG, I've been looking at the following games

RPGS
Hybrid Eternal Whisper
Guardian Soul
Caster
Vay
Blade Master Prelude to Destruction
Doom II RPG
Elven Chronicles
Dragon Sword RPG
Crusade of Destiny
The Quest Gold
Dungeons & Such

Strategy RPG
Mecho Wars
Rebirth of Fortune
Rogue Planet
Battle for Wesnoth
Reign of Swords

Rogue-likes

Rogue Touch
The Isle of 8-Bit Treasures
Cavern
Sword of Fargoal

Puzzle RPG's

Aurora Feint II Arena Daemons
Devil Invasion
Samurai Puzzle Battle GOTY

Hybrid RPG's
Sword N Poker-poker rpg
Space Miner-space shooter rpg
Soul Card Master- card rpg
Orions: Legend Of Wizards-card rpg
Dungeon Scroll-word rpg

[quote name='HumpsMcLovin']I'm glad you enjoy it! Ha. I remember finding that for you.[/QUOTE]

Well I still haven't played it yet but I bought it and the videos for it are sickly.

bread's done
Back