iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='107proof']Protect your nuts is showing up $0.99 for me. Not free
angry birds is much better at that price[/QUOTE]

Guess PYN price must have just been yesterday. But at $.99, I certainly would agree Angry Birds is better.

I'm gonna buy me a cheap refurbished 32GB 3rd gen off of eBay and then sell it for what I paid for it when the new ones are announced and buy one of those, but I need one now.

[quote name='iowaholdem']Off topic, but mkernan how do you update your PSN portable ID with the new (terrible) Playstation.com? I can't find my profile anywhere![/QUOTE]

Log in to the site, then mouse over 'Hi, [your psn name]', and select 'portable ID'.

[quote name='mkernan']Log in to the site, then mouse over 'Hi, [your psn name]', and select 'portable ID'.[/QUOTE]Ah, that'd be why I couldn't find it. Work PC was missing plugins (which I can't install).

Freeappaday has The Inferno for free. I got that for free a while back, I think from the old days of christmas thing or whatever it was. I didn't think to much of it, mainly because of the controls which are inexplicable awful, but it's free and other people like it, so you ought to try it anyway!

http://www.freeappaday.com/app.php?day=02&month=03

freegameoftheday.com (OpenFeint) has Double Take free today, however it looks to me like it has always been free and always will be free. OpenFeint's freegameoftheday sucks as they often do this - they just highlight some game that was already free. Lame. Other times it actually is a deal, though. Anyway, I don't know anything about the game, but you can read about it on their site:

http://freegameoftheday.com/

Tried to start a game with my girlfriend online yesterday in AC2: M...doesn't seem to be all that functional yet. Maybe this is why they initially released it as free? It's not helping their itunes rating that's for sure.

I've mentioned this game before, but no one seemed to notice...TILT TO LIVE is an awesome, extremely addictive game for 1.99. It's an accelorometer controlled game where you avoid the dot enemies and hit power ups to kill them. There are online leader boards, achievements and upgrades based on your scores. Toucharcade has put it on their front page today so I hope more people will download it. This reminds me of Space Miner, where it went unnoticed for a while and no one got it, then seemed to explode. I think this ones about to get a lot of attention because it rules. I'd recommend it almost as highly as I recommended space miner.

http://toucharcade.com/2010/03/02/tilt-to-live-the-wildest-spot-on-the-appstore-period/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr03CIfjK4I&feature=player_embedded

[quote name='doodofdoods']Do the controls work well on tilt to live?[/QUOTE]

I think they work really well for an accelerometer based game(which often have poor controls), I've never had a problem with them and you can choose several different ways to hold your iphone/touch including custom. There doesn't seem to be any calibration for sensitivity though, but I personally really like the controls.

Not a game but potentially useful to aspiring musicians... I saw on SD that Gibson has a free app with tuner, metronome, and chords picture reference. Pretty useful for a beginner such as myself.

[quote name='caltab']I've mentioned this game before, but no one seemed to notice...TILT TO LIVE is an awesome, extremely addictive game for 1.99. It's an accelorometer controlled game where you avoid the dot enemies and hit power ups to kill them. There are online leader boards, achievements and upgrades based on your scores. Toucharcade has put it on their front page today so I hope more people will download it. This reminds me of Space Miner, where it went unnoticed for a while and no one got it, then seemed to explode. I think this ones about to get a lot of attention because it rules. I'd recommend it almost as highly as I recommended space miner.

http://toucharcade.com/2010/03/02/tilt-to-live-the-wildest-spot-on-the-appstore-period/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr03CIfjK4I&feature=player_embedded[/QUOTE]

def gonna check this out

[quote name='dubbfoolio']Not a game but potentially useful to aspiring musicians... I saw on SD that Gibson has a free app with tuner, metronome, and chords picture reference. Pretty useful for a beginner such as myself.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up, downloading it now.

[quote name='LegioXIX']Slightly off-topic, has anyone come across any tactical RPGs like Fire Emblem or FF Tactics?[/QUOTE]
Have you tried Song Summoner? From Square-Enix?

[quote name='mis0']Has anyone heard any news of an update for PvZ so it'd run a little bit smoother with no slow down? Awesome game, but once half my lawn is filled, my iTouch slows down a bit. I do have a 2g Touch.. so that might be the difference.[/QUOTE]

For some reason, I doubt that they will patch it. Sure, it lags when there is a lot on the screen, but the game is still very responsive, so it doesn't really hurt the game too much.

[quote name='crunchewy']They've never updated Peggle, so don't count on a PvZ update of any kind, at least not a free one.[/QUOTE]

but they have updated bejeweled, which is a more popular title than peggle, so I don't think this is necessarily the case..given how well PvZ has sold I think its definitely possible there will be an update at some point in the distant future if it keeps doing well.

[quote name='Malik112099']Got Tilt To Live and it is awesome....the tilt controls are great...everyone should check it out[/QUOTE]

i just scored 1.5 million, once you get the power ups you can get huge scores. On another note, Astro ranch could be really fun, but its flat out broken, once you get to day 26 the game constantly crashes and you can't progress. The developers say a patch is in the works though. Its much more of a farm sim than a animal crossing clone.

Also, IGN just reviewed sword and poker and gave it a 9. For those CAGs that might of missed all the chatter about this one from a few weeks ago, heres another chance to take a look at a great game. While I don't really care about the main stream video game sites reviews of app's, this game really deserves the exposure. Maybe they will update it or put it on sale in response.

http://wireless.ign.com/articles/107/1073683p1.html

atari games are on sale for .99. Missile command, Centipede and Super Breakout are worth a look, dont know about the rest.

Atari Football
Backyard Baseball
Backyard Hockey
Backyard Soccer
Centipede
Missile Command
Super Breakout

[quote name='dubbfoolio']Not a game but potentially useful to aspiring musicians... I saw on SD that Gibson has a free app with tuner, metronome, and chords picture reference. Pretty useful for a beginner such as myself.[/QUOTE]
Not bad but, as with most of the guitar apps I've seen so far, there's nothing included for scales. If you want to reference scales and modes on your Pod, try the Guitar VIB app (also a freebie). It's not super-comprehensive, but at least it can help jog your memory when you're trying to remember the difference between Phyrigian and Harmonic Minor (or any of the other 50 or so choices).

Okay, after spending a few minutes with Gibson's Learn & Master Guitar app, I must say I'm pretty underwhelmed. I know it's probably meant more for beginners but it's still pretty bare bones. A much more comprehensive reference tool is the Guitar Web Application (also free). It gives a bazillion chord charts and also has useful info on stuff like key signatures and building chords from different notes. I've been playing for 30 years now and I look up stuff on this little freebie all the time.

[quote name='caltab']atari games are on sale for .99. Missile command, Centipede and Super Breakout are worth a look, dont know about the rest.

Atari Football
Backyard Baseball
Backyard Hockey
Backyard Soccer
Centipede
Missile Command
Super Breakout[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up! I picked up Missle Command and Super Breakout. Already had Centipede (which I like.) I'm considering Atari Football. Anyone played it? I always loved the original back then.

[quote name='mkernan']OpenFeint free game of the day is 'Lockdown', a side scroller:

http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin...re%3Fid%3D353447224%26mt%3D8%26partnerId%3D30

Freeappaday free app (not a game today):

http://$$$$$$$/causeworld

...and here's a free 'interactive generative art visualizer' called 'Zio':

http://appshopper.com/link/zio[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up on Lockdown. It looks like zio is a bit bogus, though - apparently to unlock the full program you need to buy an add-on in-app. So it's not really free. More like a demo.

[quote name='crunchewy']Thanks for the heads up on Lockdown. It looks like zio is a bit bogus, though - apparently to unlock the full program you need to buy an add-on in-app. So it's not really free. More like a demo.[/QUOTE]

Yeah... I already deleted Zio.

[quote name='caltab']atari games are on sale for .99. Missile command, Centipede and Super Breakout are worth a look, dont know about the rest.

Atari Football
Backyard Baseball
Backyard Hockey
Backyard Soccer
Centipede
Missile Command
Super Breakout[/QUOTE]
where are you seeing all these? i dont see most of these titles in the app store.

[quote name='DiRT_X']where are you seeing all these? i dont see most of these titles in the app store.[/QUOTE]

it appears all atari games have been pulled from the app store...strange, maybe that explains the price drop, a lot of those games were 5 dollars for a long time. Maybe, they dropped em cause they new they were about to be pulled. Paper boy, which I think was also owned by atari at one point also got pulled today. Something's going on with atari I guess.

Well, that sucks. Maybe all of the recently pullings of digitally distributed vintage games are part of Microsoft's grand plan for "Game Room" retro domination. And that would suck even more.

Yeah, it sounds paranoid, but the timing is eyebrow-raising for a 'loose screw' like me.

Glad I picked up Missile Command and Super Breakout and already had Centipede, but I wish I'd also bought Atari Football. Oh well. Missile Command is good. I'm mixed on Super Breakout, perhaps because I'm loving Arkanoid so much. Centipede is very good. All of them needed OpenFeint, though.

EDIT: and OpenFeint isn't doing themselves any good with these "free game of the day" games that were already free. Today's is Stair Dismount Lite. Ooh. And free for only 24 hours. After which it will be free!

bread's done
Back