iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided to buy Tilt to Live even though it isn't on sale ($1.99) and so far I'm really liking it. The tilt control of the game works great and it's certainly a "one more time" kind of game. If you get it, I'm username Crunc on Agon - feel free to add me.

I like how publishers try to market their games. Before deciding to go free, they raise it back up to retail price.
Uniwar went from $2 (about 3 months) to $5 (3 days) to $0.

[quote name='caltab']critical wave is on sale for .99 from 2.99, its a highly praised geometry wars style game...I recommend it for sure at this price. I paid 2.99 for it when it was released and thought it was worth it then. Also, glad to see some are picking up tilt to live, its extremely addictive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCIiPh0627E&feature=player_embedded[/QUOTE]
Alright, I'll bite on Critical Wave. For .99, I'm in! Thanks to the others for the freebie postings, too.

Alien Glyphs and Secret of Lost Pyramid are free.

Scoops - Ice Cream Fun For Everyone is also free. It was made by the people who made Skyburger, and is basically Skyburger with ice cream. Skyburger's mindless fun, a quick pick-up and play type of a game.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Malik112099']Tilt To Live is FATASTIC. Buy it now.

My username on Agon is malik112099...[/QUOTE]

indeed it is...my agon, openfeint, ect. is caltab if anyone wants to add me...Everyone should download Eco Punk while its free, its pretty damn fun, one of the better freebies that have happened in a while.

FREE GAMES TODAY!!! O__O

UniWar: Strategy game similar to Advance Wars
Alpine Crawler: 2D driving game
Twins Snakes: Copy of a classic
Knights: Old-school strategy game

ALL FREE with small file sizes. Check them out :)

We need a thread or something to cover peoples usernames on all the openfeint and such systems. For the record, I'm "crunc" on OpenFeint and Plus+ and "Crunc" on Agon. I'm not sure if the capitalization matters. If I can change my Agon name to match, I will, but for now it's capitalized.

mole- quest for terracore is free for gdc. It looks like one of the better dig dug type games, critics have given it very good reviews, everyone should pick it up while its free.

ARCADE SOLITARE: tri towers is Openfeints Free game of the day today. Finally a full game that wasn't already free for free. Got good reviews too. Enjoy.

[quote name='The Stuff']This thread is so awesome! I had never used my iPod for gaming until I found it. Thanks to everyone who posts![/QUOTE]

That's more than half the reasoning behind me buying the touch. I have a thing for indie games.

Dizzypad is down to 99 cents. It's a pretty fun little score-attack game with a very cute and relaxing vibe about it. - http://appshopper.com/games/dizzypad

Bit Pilot is a new game that's quickly becoming one of my favorites. The swipe controls work perfectly, after a little learning. I really feel like I'm completely in control of my actions and I find myself pulling off ridiculously impressive maneuvers just because I know what I'm doing in the game. Also features glorious chiptunes & retro visuals. - http://appshopper.com/games/bit-pilot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LbLVoRDm4U

[quote name='The Stuff']This thread is so awesome! I had never used my iPod for gaming until I found it. Thanks to everyone who posts![/QUOTE]
Yeah, definite thanks to everyone out there who takes the time to let us know about price drops and freebies. Thanks to you guys, I've actually run out of pages in iTunes for all my apps (closing in on 500 now)! Speaking of freebies, Pocket Zombie is the Free Game a Day title today (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=327875197&mt=8).

[quote name='AdvOfJet']If you go to the Arcade Solitaire page on iTunes it does say that it is OpenFeints free game for today and the full version is free right now. Just picked it up a few minutes ago.

Odd that they have a different game listed but the more the merrier.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it'll be featured tomorrow and they just updated it ahead of time?..... It definitely shows up as free though, thanks.

Eco Punk and mole - quest for the terracore gem are no brainer free downloads. Mole is a dig dug type game with RPG elements, its really fun I'd pay a few bucks for it. Eco punk is kind of a dual shooter/avoidance game...

Is anyone having crashing problems with Eco Punk, I haven't seen anyone have issues with it in the various forums I read- the developer looked at my crash logs and says he thinks it might be a bad install, but ive tried reinstalling it 3 times. I really like the game, but it totally locks down my touch when it crashes. Anyone got any ideas how to fix it(I'm pretty sure its not the game, but something corrupt on my end). The first time a tried downloading it I got disconnected from the app store halfway though, so I'm thinking that might be the cause.

No freeappaday today? Not yet, anyway. I picked up all the ones mentioned above - thanks! Also, thanks for pointing out http://greatappaday.com/ Looks like crap on there now, but good to have another source of free apps! Or is it? I think it's contributing, heavily, to attention deficit disorder....

[quote name='107proof']ARCADE SOLITARE: tri towers is Openfeints Free game of the day today. Finally a full game that wasn't already free for free. Got good reviews too. Enjoy.[/QUOTE]

I saw this too and whiile it seems like it's a faily good quaility game, I've come to realize that i don't know how to play solitare and the cards weren't moving like I thought they should. Sadly, Inow more complicated variations on poker, but I don't know a simple game like solitare.

[quote name='JayMan8081']My name on OpenFeint and Plus+ is JayPr1me for anyone that wants to add me.[/QUOTE]
Yay, I've doubled my friends now with you and crunc. My OpenFeint ID is Dimms if you want to expand your posse.

[quote name='crunchewy']We need a thread or something to cover peoples usernames on all the openfeint and such systems. For the record, I'm "crunc" on OpenFeint and Plus+ and "Crunc" on Agon. I'm not sure if the capitalization matters. If I can change my Agon name to match, I will, but for now it's capitalized.[/QUOTE]

CheapyD really likes the iPhone, maybe he can get OpenFeint added to the user profiles the same way XBL and PSN are.

[quote name='ZForce915']CheapyD really likes the iPhone, maybe he can get OpenFeint added to the user profiles the same way XBL and PSN are.[/QUOTE]

Maybe a separate forum, while we're at it. A "Mac gaming" section with Mac, Ipod/Iphone/Ipad sub-sectons.

Since I am now on a buying frenzy for ipod stuff for some reason, my name on both OpenFeint and Plus+ is "QuantamPulse" same as my Live and PSN if anyone wants to add another person.

[quote name='doodofdoods']Maybe a separate forum, while we're at it. A "Mac gaming" section with Mac, Ipod/Iphone/Ipad sub-sectons.[/QUOTE]

The iPhone/iPod touch/iPad span platforms, not just Mac, and soon you'd have Android users wanting their own forum, and rightly so, so I think a better idea would be to make a Mobile Gaming forum, with iPhone OS (including iPod touch and iPad - Apple needs to come up with a real name for their mobile OS given that it's used on non-phones too....), Android, WebOS (Palm Pre, etc) and WM7. I suppose it could be just iPhone, Android and Other at the moment, though. Also, some games are cross platform (for example, Card Ace: Black Jack, Card Ace: Hold 'em and Word Ace), so you'd want a general forum in there, or some such.

[quote name='Dimsdale']Just picked up Cocoto Magic Circus (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cocoto-magic-circus/id356279673?mt=8). TouchArcade has a nice write up on it and it's being offered for an introductory price of .99. I've only played a couple of levels so far but it's pretty darn slick. The graphics are great and it's a highly decent touch-n-shoot arcade diversion.[/QUOTE]

Picked this up yesterday...its a port of a peice of junk wii game, but is actually pretty fun on the iphone. Theres a decent variety of game types and online play. If you like touch shooting games, this one aint bad for a buck....

everyone should make sure to download eco punk and mole: quest for terracore gem while they are free, they are both great. Eco punk is a simple pick up and play dual stick avoidance/shooting type game and mole is an excellent dig dug type game with rpg elements(id reccomend this one even at a couple bucks)

also, I agree there should be some kind of an app/mobile forum-that way there could be individual threads for good deals and games, and more people would see them.

dang it, i get so addicted to the bite size games that itunes puts out that I soemtimes have so many at once, i dont pay for the ones i paid top dollar for...

like, i have YET to beat Asassins Creed, Dexter, and have YET to even start Broken Sword, Ravensword, or GTA Chinatown Wars...that's $28 altogether I paid for those :/ ugh...

probably got most of my playtime out of Sword & Poker, Creeps!, Tap Tap 3 (i bought a lot of in-store DLC), Zenonia, and Surviving High School

[quote name='AdvOfJet']Since I am now on a buying frenzy for ipod stuff for some reason, my name on both OpenFeint and Plus+ is "QuantamPulse" same as my Live and PSN if anyone wants to add another person.[/QUOTE]Yeah, track me down on both the PSN and iPod social networks @ loesjoel. Always looking for more people to game online with.

If anybody uses the Comic Zeal app BE WARNED:

Apple made the dev remove the (super convenient)USB sync capability.

If you use the USB sync with this app, DON'T DOWNLOAD THE NEWEST UPDATE!

I'm really getting sick of Apple's closed sandbox.

[quote name='jcp42877']dang it, i get so addicted to the bite size games that itunes puts out that I soemtimes have so many at once, i dont pay for the ones i paid top dollar for...

like, i have YET to beat Asassins Creed, Dexter, and have YET to even start Broken Sword, Ravensword, or GTA Chinatown Wars...that's $28 altogether I paid for those :/ ugh...

probably got most of my playtime out of Sword & Poker, Creeps!, Tap Tap 3 (i bought a lot of in-store DLC), Zenonia, and Surviving High School[/QUOTE]

I had to put a moratorium on purchasing new apps until I finished some games. I had just way too many that I still needed to try and wanted to play. It took some dedication, but I got my games down to a few pages after trying many, deleting and finishing a bunch. I finally "earned" the purchase I've been waiting for - Plants vs. Zombies. I am only 15 min in and I have a great feeling about it already.

On a side note, I'm also doing this with my console games. Gotta finish ME2 and NSMB and then I can start Dragon Age Origins.

Oh, and what the heck is Surviving High School. I looked at the description and I don't know what to think.

bread's done
Back