iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
Still loving Vector Tanks Extreme. God, if they could port it to XBL or PSN, with multiplayer added, it would be awesome.

[quote name='LuisRM']I had to put a moratorium on purchasing new apps until I finished some games. I had just way too many that I still needed to try and wanted to play. It took some dedication, but I got my games down to a few pages after trying many, deleting and finishing a bunch. I finally "earned" the purchase I've been waiting for - Plants vs. Zombies. I am only 15 min in and I have a great feeling about it already.

On a side note, I'm also doing this with my console games. Gotta finish ME2 and NSMB and then I can start Dragon Age Origins.

Oh, and what the heck is Surviving High School. I looked at the description and I don't know what to think.[/QUOTE]

Surviving High School was actually really fun when I played the free version ... I would pick it up if I were a bigger man and didn't feel so awkward about actually paying for a High School simulator where the aim is basically to land the goth chick or the football player's gf ... and yeah, you can sugar coat it ... but that's what it's about ;)

Do you guys have any tips for Sword Poker? I downloaded the Lite version, and I love the presentation but I don't understand the gameplay (I haven't played Poker before).

[quote name='manthing']If anybody uses the Comic Zeal app BE WARNED:

Apple made the dev remove the (super convenient)USB sync capability.

If you use the USB sync with this app, DON'T DOWNLOAD THE NEWEST UPDATE!

I'm really getting sick of Apple's closed sandbox.[/QUOTE]

How does this app work anyway? Do you load up anything you want and it automatically does its app-magic, or is there a store you buy from?

[quote name='manthing']If anybody uses the Comic Zeal app BE WARNED:

Apple made the dev remove the (super convenient)USB sync capability.

If you use the USB sync with this app, DON'T DOWNLOAD THE NEWEST UPDATE!

I'm really getting sick of Apple's closed sandbox.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the warning

[quote name='etcrane']Surviving High School was actually really fun when I played the free version ... I would pick it up if I were a bigger man and didn't feel so awkward about actually paying for a High School simulator where the aim is basically to land the goth chick or the football player's gf ... and yeah, you can sugar coat it ... but that's what it's about ;)[/QUOTE]
I haven't even played the football season campaign. SHS gives you free linear stories every week. Silly linear stuff with high school teen romance, but they're fun enough.

[quote name='Apathetic-Irony']How does this app work anyway? Do you load up anything you want and it automatically does its app-magic, or is there a store you buy from?[/QUOTE]

http://www.bitolithic.com/comiczeal

[quote name='Baron O Hell']Thanks for the warning[/QUOTE]

No problem. Whenever I go into the store on my phone, I usually have a bunch of apps in need of updating and I just hit 'Update All'.

For whatever reason, today I was interested in what was updated for CZ. The first change was "Removed USB syncing compatibility at Apple's request"

Apple fucking sucks...

WHAT?!

THERE WAS A COMIC BOOK VIEWER

THAT I COULD HAVE USB SYNCED MY STUFF TO?!

HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS.

Holy crap, I'd punt my Iphone right now if I wasn't sure the Droid or whatever would be stupid in so many more, different ways.

Bit Pilot is pretty awesome and worth 99 cents. I'm having a lot more fun with it then DizzyPad, which I think is only mildly entertaining. Bit Pilot is a pretty tough game, but fun tough, the kind that makes you want to try one more time.

801593.png
ReBounce is back at $0.99 once again.

It was mentioned in this thread during the last sale, seen below.

[quote name='caltab']... and ReBounce is a pretty good physics puzzler that kind of has a peggle feel.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='7thton']I checked out Rebounce after reading the post below.

It is a really, really fun game.

You control a "ring" that flies through the air. When you touch it, it slows down time, stopping the ring (think bullet-time) and allowing you to re-aim it. There are different game modes. Sometimes you bash the ring in to all of the "marbles" in the level to win. Sometimes you have to keep the marbles from getting too close to the top of the screen.

Anyhow, a really cool game and WELL worth 99 cents.[/QUOTE]

661219.png
iBlast Moki is on sale over the weekend.

66% off, from $2.99 down to $0.99.

It's been on sale in the past and was even free at one point during December. Well worth the look if you still don't have the game, I've included some past commentary below.

[quote name='caltab']Iblast moki is on sale for .99, ign rated it the number 1 iPhone game a few days ago. While I don't know about that, it's a pretty solid physics puzzler and worth a look. I picked up space miner last night, it's a lot of money for an app, but it's damn good.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='donburns99']
661219.png
iBlast Moki is on sale over the weekend.

66% off, from $2.99 down to $0.99.

It's been on sale in the past and was even free at one point during December. Well worth the look if you still don't have the game, I've included some past commentary below.[/QUOTE]

It's alright ... not worth the dollar imo. I played the first few levels and found the controls weren't particularly conducive to making the game fun. (I got this for free back in December, as Don mentioned). Just my 2 cents.

Alive 4 Ever is $.99.

Also, I paid full price for iBlast Moki and I think it's great.

I've been hooked on dotopop recently. Lord knows why... But it's the only game I play these days.

picked up alive 4 ever, thanks for the heads up...liking it so far, always like when a game ads upgrades for your character. also picked up bit pilot and dizzy pad, both are pretty fun pick up and plays. also, Astro ranch got a substantial patch that fixed its severe crashing problems(it was actually unplayable after 26 days). I haven't had any crashes since the patch. Its still at its launch price of 2.99 and is supposedly going to go up at some point. Since the patch, I'd recommend it if you like farm sims.

As for a 3gs dock. I would buy from DEALEXTREME.com. They have the best prices on accesories. Shipping is almost always free. I have placed several orders with them and highly recommend them.

I just got my ipod about a week ago and have bought way to many games, it's like i'm addicted. I can usually find some reviews of the games im interested or they have a free version. I was really interested in Elementalmonster TD but I can't find any reviews and 3.99 is a bit to much for a game I might not like. Anyone here have an opinion on this game? While I am here I was also wandering what some of your favorite puzzle games were.

[quote name='Dougthead']I just got my ipod about a week ago and have bought way to many games, it's like i'm addicted. I can usually find some reviews of the games im interested or they have a free version. I was really interested in Elementalmonster TD but I can't find any reviews and 3.99 is a bit to much for a game I might not like. Anyone here have an opinion on this game? While I am here I was also wandering what some of your favorite puzzle games were.[/QUOTE]

I too am addicted- the touch is my favorite platform at the moment. I've never hear of that game, but just took a look- pretty cool sounding concept a card/td hybrid- I might have to pick that one up. If you like tower defense games in general there are a ton of good ones on the iphone- creeps, field runners, geo defense, star defense to name a few. As far as puzzlers go every popcap one is excellent(peggle, bejeweled, bookworm, and chuzzle). Critter Crunch, Drop7, and Sword and Poker are also excellent and some of my personal favorites. You should also check out Space Miner, Tilt to Live, and Minisquadron, there not puzzlers but are pure awesomeness.

[quote name='seanr1221']Tilt to Live isn't that great. I don't recommend it at 1.99.[/QUOTE]

I agree I'm disapponted in this title as well, the controls no matter which one I try are uncomfortable, even that Custom one doesn't help me how I want to control the game from the position I want. Seems the only working control is the first option, but it seems like the game is designed for u to only last for 2 minutes max then the enemies are spawn fest all around you (I got a non-achievement for this and earned ice but that hasn't helped me get any farther). I'm not a fan of tilt control for this type of game. I'm also a little disappointed with bit pilot as well, the only reason that keeps me playing is the music and I'm really disappointed there's only one song to start with. I understand that they are unlockable but after watching trailer that's what got me to get this game and they should have given a few song choices to start with. It's like asteroids but with touch controls (no pad option) and you can't shoot. Critical Wave is okay and that Cocoto Magic Circus is too and has multiplayer. This forum definently keeps me updated on other good titles though. Looking for more good free and cheap games coming. (Also caltab this is just IMHO and I mentioned specific reasons why as well as other ones that were ok, I expect decent controls in a game. @ Malik the controls are definently not perfect and I feel are a big issue (it's not the player, I had another gamer try and they said the controls are difficult with bad tilt response) if the controls aren't right the game just straight doesn't cut it. Comparing this to a wiimote game or sixaxis control is questionable as well since I find those I play with not to be as bad as an issue with this game. There's a lot of hostility over this).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='seanr1221']Tilt to Live isn't that great. I don't recommend it at 1.99.[/QUOTE]

wow tough crowd if your going to not recommend a universally praised game you could at least explain why...its one thing not to like it, but if your going to tell someone not to get it at least say why.

Also, Cheapgamerone if you have the power ups and are good at it, you can stay alive for way more than 2 minutes and if you care about achievements and leader boards this game has plenty of replay value for 2 bucks. I gotta ask what games you actually do like Cheapgamerone b/c you just panned several of the best new releases. Not sure what you expect for a couple bucks.

[quote name='caltab']wow tough crowd if your going to not recommend a universally praised game[tilt to live][/QUOTE]

This game is only a maybe at $1. There's not much to it. It's not a puzzle game like tetris, drop7, or what have you. Not much of a reason to come back after you get all the weapons or so. There are much better games in this format like doodle jump. It's only an amazing display, but it really doesn't hold any long term replay value.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I personally like Bit Pilot alot more than Tilt to Live[/QUOTE]

sabrepulse (chiptune genre [music]) ftw.

The controls on tilt to live are pretty much perfect. Love the game....have unlocked all weapons and posted a top 10 score and still playing the shit out of it. The presentation is spot on and out of the different control types they give you (including custom) you should have no problem finding a way to hold the phone that suits you. If you just cant get past tilt controls then that is your problem. With shit out like the wiimote and the sixaxis and other motion related controls on the horizon if you cant get past a game that utilizes tilt controls damn near perfectly you should just stay away from iphone games in general.

The game is designed to be a quick fix but if you arent lasting more than 2 minutes and you already have some of the upgrades you probably just suck at the game and refuse to get any better. I have no problems lasting over 4 minutes and even above 5 minutes most of the time now.

Tilt to Live is very good and on top of the gameplay itself it has some challenging/fun achievements and leaderboards. I highly recommend this game to anyone who doesnt mind using tilt controls.

[quote name='seanr1221']The tilt controls are FAR from perfect.

The game would be a nice freebie though.[/QUOTE]

You dont explain how they are far from perfect. I can make that little fucking arrow do what ever I want. The speed is directly proportional to how far you tilt. I can weave that fucker in and out of tightly collected red dots all day long. While laying in bed I held the phone at a comfortable angle and set the custom setting and it worked like a champ.

Do you dislike the controls because they are tilt? Would you rather a dual analog setup? The name of the game is TILT to Live. Who ever programmed/tested/whatever this game's controls did a great job. As far as your actions and what happens on screen I havent played a game that better utilizes this type of control scheme.

Please explain your dislike of the controls so I can try to see where you are coming from.

The amount of precision needed for some of the evades can't match what stick controls could do. Now, seeing as the iPhone can't have true stick control, I guess I'd prefer tilting to an onscreen stick, but they just aren't nearly as precise enough, especially for the purple power-up.

[quote name='seanr1221']The amount of precision needed for some of the evades can't match what stick controls could do. Now, seeing as the iPhone can't have true stick control, I guess I'd prefer tilting to an onscreen stick, but they just aren't nearly as precise enough, especially for the purple power-up.[/QUOTE]

I totally disagree...the tilt controls are precise enough to evade the tiniest of little nooks...try slowing down when you are in a tight spot-also you have a little more room then the graphics indicate. But, when you have all the weapons and are really experienced there isn't a ton of evading necessary-rather darting as quickly as possible to the next power up, or shooting a clear path. I have no problem controlling the purple power up. The developer's tips include moving as quickly as possible between power ups-this is probably a bigger part of getting a high score than evasion.

now, the last control setting, I think sleepy is or something is what its called, is broken(you can't move left and right), but I find the default controls perfect. Honestly, it sounds more like you haven't played the game enough to master it than issues with the poor controls. Have you unlocked the various power ups, because they have a huge impact on the game. Lastly, the developer is very active and responsive to the thread in touch arcade, so there will be a lot of improvements. BTW, toucharcade forums are a great place to catch a game right when ts released and make suggestions to often very receptive developers.

[quote name='anathema728']
sabrepulse (chiptune genre [music]) ftw.[/QUOTE]

Sabrepulse is pretty damn good, but not the best. Some of my friends (disasterpeace and minusbaby as well as others) make better chiptunes...

in fact I've got a game currently in development for iphone with some chiptunes musician planned in the lineup.

bread's done
Back