iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DtotheP']Where's Waldo on sale for $.99[/QUOTE]
Thank you very much for that heads up ...I've wanted to pick that up for a while now. :)

The third and final chapter of Puzzle Quest fiiiiinally came out. Its a $2 in-app purchase.

Puzzle Quest Free:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/puzzle-quest-free/id304641991?mt=8

They now have a store for in-app purchases inside the free version and its broken down like this:

Chapters 1, 2, and 3 $4.99
Chapters 1 and 2 $2.99
Chapter 1 $1.99
Chapters 2 and 3 $2.99
Chapter 2 $1.99
Chapter 3 $1.99

If you already had 'PuzzleQuest Chapters 1 and 2', you can purchase chapter 3 for $1.99 from there as well.

Pipe Mania on sale for $.99

I got Alphabetic when it was free but it's easily worth $.99, simple little game but very polished and now open feint enabled. I haven't had that much fun with the ABCs since I was in preschool.

[quote name='107proof']Alphabetic dropped to $0.99 today.[/QUOTE]

I've had this game for a while. Lots of fun. It seems fairly basic, but there are lots of variations and it gets hard fast. Lots of achievements to work for and I think they add online leaderboards recently. Well worth the $1.

[quote name='mkernan']The third and final chapter of Puzzle Quest fiiiiinally came out. Its a $2 in-app purchase.

Puzzle Quest Free:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/puzzle-quest-free/id304641991?mt=8

They now have a store for in-app purchases inside the free version and its broken down like this:

Chapters 1, 2, and 3 $4.99
Chapters 1 and 2 $2.99
Chapter 1 $1.99
Chapters 2 and 3 $2.99
Chapter 2 $1.99
Chapter 3 $1.99

If you already had 'PuzzleQuest Chapters 1 and 2', you can purchase chapter 3 for $1.99 from there as well.[/QUOTE]

Sweet, thanks for the heads up. Bout time they put out chapter 3.

[quote name='zeb06']Sweet, thanks for the heads up. Bout time they put out chapter 3.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, no kidding. I emailed them a month or two ago asking when it would be coming out. They actually wrote back and gave me a pretty generic 'we're working on it' response. I kinda blew them off because it had been sooooooo long since they put up chapter 2. After I had already purchased chapter 3 this morning, I actually received an email from the same support guy at TransGaming letting me know ch. 3 was out. Pretty damn good service.

What do you get with the free Puzzle Quest? The page isn't really descriptive. I assume that Chapters 1, 2, and 3 are the full game, so if it's not that then what is it?

[quote name='hollowfreak']It wasn't as long as the wait for Half-life: Episode 3 has been was it? :lol:[/QUOTE]

LOL. Good point.

[quote name='Vegan']What do you get with the free Puzzle Quest? The page isn't really descriptive. I assume that Chapters 1, 2, and 3 are the full game, so if it's not that then what is it?[/QUOTE]

Yes, chapters 1, 2, and 3 are the complete game (and I think it includes the content that was an expansion on XBL). The free version lets you create a character and start playing the game. I think its just the early part of chapter 1. Since the chapters are in-game purchases, you get to keep going with your same character. Essentially, the *entire* game is $5 if you download the free app and buy the ch. 1+2+3 add-on.

As a side note, Puzzle Quest 2 hits 360 and DS this "spring", so its right around the corner. I would imagine that it'll eventually be ported to most of the other platforms the same one was on (but who knows how long that'll take). My point being, if you want Puzzle Quest on iPhone, I wouldn't bank on just waiting for the sequel.

Hey guys I have been enjoying this thread a lot and discovering some cool stuff.

+1 for Space Miner
+1 for Plants vs. Zombies

I beat Plants vs. Zombies and I am about halfway through the second run to pick up some cool stuff from the shop.

I play it on an iPhone. I was nearly finished with a longer level when I got a phone call, I accepted the call and after the call ended I was staring at my contacts page.

Is there a way to accept calls and go back to your game where you left off? Thanks.

comet racer is free right now...a tilt control avoidance/racer thats worth the free download.

I bought Alphabetic for a buck and almost have all the achievements, its a pretty unique puzzler and found it pretty fun, although endless mode can feel kind of grueling after a while.

Comet Racer is free for a limited time. Haven't tried it out but Donut games has some decent stuff. They have Traffic Rush FREE as well and it is a fun little game. I recommed getting it for free while you can.

Has anyone picked up Street Fight IV yet? I wanna see someone who is a pretty big fan of fighters give some impressions. I love SFIV and am tempted to get this, but $10 is hard to swallow for a fighter with no online. I'd imagine I could storm through the arcade mode with all 8 characters in about an hour.

[quote name='Sigma']Has anyone picked up Street Fight IV yet? I wanna see someone who is a pretty big fan of fighters give some impressions. I love SFIV and am tempted to get this, but $10 is hard to swallow for a fighter with no online. I'd imagine I could storm through the arcade mode with all 8 characters in about an hour.[/QUOTE]

check out this thread, it has dozens of impressions that are mostly positive:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=47776

Hrm... I'm in a bit of a bind here.

I reformatted my computer and have a fresh iTunes install. I've gone ahead and authorized my iTunes with my iPod account, but anything I've downloaded since backing up my iPod mobile apps I can't seem to get onto my computer.

I don't want to agree to sync the apps with the new iTunes until I know I won't lose my hours worth of saves in PVZ and S&P.

Anyone know how to get past this?

EDIT: I take it back. It appears the games actually ARE transferring back to the computer. I asked as it was only transferring 1 of 1 (a movie) and didn't mention my games. All is well.

EDIT2: Grrrrr it looks like I might lose my saves. In order to sync apps, it's saying it'll have to erase all the games on there. Noooooo!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bomb Master is FREE today only. Just tried it. Looks like it could be decent. You are shown a bridge and you are given a number of different explosives and have to destroy the bridge with the specified area. Could use some tweaks but for free it's not bad and hopefully they will update it.

Fallen Sorcerer is free today. It's defense style game. Except different in the fact that your standing on a floating platform and you have to shoot enemies that are coming at you from all directions. It's pretty challenging. Pretty good graphics. Definitely recommend it for a freebie.

Even though I bashed SFIV on the iphone even before it was released I am really enjoying it . Surprisingly it doesnt lag up the phone and the visuals are great .

[quote name='iowaholdem']Hrm... I'm in a bit of a bind here.

I reformatted my computer and have a fresh iTunes install. I've gone ahead and authorized my iTunes with my iPod account, but anything I've downloaded since backing up my iPod mobile apps I can't seem to get onto my computer.

I don't want to agree to sync the apps with the new iTunes until I know I won't lose my hours worth of saves in PVZ and S&P.

EDIT: I take it back. It appears the games actually ARE transferring back to the computer. I asked as it was only transferring 1 of 1 (a movie) and didn't mention my games. All is well.

EDIT2: Grrrrr it looks like I might lose my saves. In order to sync apps, it's saying it'll have to erase all the games on there. Noooooo![/QUOTE]

Wait, I thought you could have an iTunes account linked to 5 computers. Why would it make you erase everything?

EDIT2: Grrrrr it looks like I might lose my saves. In order to sync apps, it's saying it'll have to erase all the games on there. Noooooo![/QUOTE]
I *think* what it'll do is just bring your apps from iPhone to computer, and not screw with them on your iPhone. I had a similar issue, and don't believe I lost anything on my iPhone, though the music issue is a bigger pain in the ass. In fact, my wife just recently re-synched, and kept all her games on the iPhone in tact (with saves).

I'd say I'm 92.3% sure you won't have issues.

[quote name='caltab']check out this thread, it has dozens of impressions that are mostly positive:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=47776[/QUOTE]
Thanks, I have actually seen the positive reaction on the Touch Arcade forums. I was really looking for a CAG opinion though.

I really want someone to convince me to not spend $10 on this and wait for a price drop, but I am a huge Street Fighter fan and this is so very tempting.

I really haven't heard anything negative by anyone who has played it though. Which is pretty impressive, I never imagined a fighting game would be so well received on the iPhone.

[quote name='Sigma']Thanks, I have actually seen the positive reaction on the Touch Arcade forums. I was really looking for a CAG opinion though.

I really want someone to convince me to not spend $10 on this and wait for a price drop, but I am a huge Street Fighter fan and this is so very tempting.

I really haven't heard anything negative by anyone who has played it though. Which is pretty impressive, I never imagined a fighting game would be so well received on the iPhone.[/QUOTE]

Don't spend $10. Everything eventually goes on sale.

[quote name='107proof']Bomb Master is FREE today only. Just tried it. Looks like it could be decent. You are shown a bridge and you are given a number of different explosives and have to destroy the bridge with the specified area. Could use some tweaks but for free it's not bad and hopefully they will update it.[/QUOTE]

This is OpenFeint's featured free game today. It looks like a total ripoff of Implode!, right down to the visual style. I'll check it out though, because I love Implode!.

Also, the freeappaday.com free game is 'Flaboo!'.

http://freeappaday.com/app.php?day=12&month=03

(direct itunes link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/flaboo/id342920124?mt=8)

Apparently, the guy who made it is a games industry veteran:

"Fluttermind’s director, Dene Carter, is a games industry veteran of 25 years, and co-founder of Big Blue Box Studios, creators of the Fable franchise for the XBox.

Over his long career Dene has worked as programmer and creative director on numerous games, including such #1 hits as:
- Dungeon Keeper
- Fable
- Fable 2"

[quote name='Sigma']Thanks, I have actually seen the positive reaction on the Touch Arcade forums. I was really looking for a CAG opinion though.

I really haven't heard anything negative by anyone who has played it though. Which is pretty impressive, I never imagined a fighting game would be so well received on the iPhone.[/QUOTE]
It lacks the depth of the console game, it doesn't have all the characters, you can't use your own music, it doesn't save between rounds so you need to do a full tournament in one go. Other than that, it's great fun and has a lot more features than I expected. Glad I bought it, especially with the rumor of free (and paid) updates.

I went through exactly the same situation a month ago - as long as you've copied ipod purchases to your computer, it should preserve the save files on your ipod/iphone. I had the same concerns, but my Sword & Poker save was not harmed.

[quote name='Darthrook']Hey guys I have been enjoying this thread a lot and discovering some cool stuff.

+1 for Space Miner
+1 for Plants vs. Zombies

I beat Plants vs. Zombies and I am about halfway through the second run to pick up some cool stuff from the shop.

I play it on an iPhone. I was nearly finished with a longer level when I got a phone call, I accepted the call and after the call ended I was staring at my contacts page.

Is there a way to accept calls and go back to your game where you left off? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

That's the one bad thing about PvZ. If you get a call you lose your progress. It's a big oversight in my opinion. Hopefully they'll update it when they add more content/in game purchases.

Also, I'll buckle for Tilt To Live. The Youtube preview didn't grab me but I gotta trust the majority of CAG's on here.

This is OpenFeint's featured free game today. It looks like a total ripoff of Implode!, right down to the visual style. I'll check it out though, because I love Implode!.

How does this compare to implode? Did you try it yet?

bread's done
Back