iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
My brute was free a week or so ago for one of those app aday sites.

For all you touch owners that feel left out with Likwid. Don't feel bad. The game is a demo. There are some boards that show you how to use each action item and how it influences the stream. Once your done with the demo, you only get to play 3 boards. Then they want you to pay $0.99 more fore each 5 boards. Total rip off. You definitely get more for your money with Auditorium.

BUSTER RED is Open Feints free game of the day. Apparently this game has been free since release until a few days ago then the raised it to $0.99. I guess so it would look like a deal when they make it free for one day only! Ha. Marketing people make me laugh. Oh well it has decent reviews except for some complaining about too many ads popping up during gameplay. Once again. Marketing geniuses at work. Enjoy CAG friends.

Just played through 23 levels. No ads so they must have fixed that. It does play a little jumpy at times. Could be smoother. Didn't die so it's a fairly easy game. Just quit because it's 3 am here in KY and I have to get some sleep. Got to be at work at 7 am. Gnight folks.

gameloft is having a .99 sale on some very good and expensive games(especially blades of fury and dungeon hunter):
http://blog.gameloft.com/index.php/2010/03/17/spring-fever-sale-5-games-at-0-99/

blades of fury
dungeon hunter
earthworm jim
skater nation
real soccer 2010

edit: also Zombiesmash, a castle defense game was released yesterday for 1.99, looks very polished and is getting a lot of positive early buzz, I picked it up but haven't had a chance to play it yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1eF0awSI_s&feature=player_embedded

Wow thanks ^^. I'm in for dungeon hunter. Is Blades of Fury a must buy at .99 cents? I haven't tried a fighting game on the iphone yet.

Thanks caltab, I've had Dungeon Hunter on my list for a while, but wanted to try Zedonia first. I can't pass for .99cents though.

[quote name='caltab']gameloft is having a .99 sale on some very good and expensive games(especially blades of fury and dungeon hunter):
http://blog.gameloft.com/index.php/2010/03/17/spring-fever-sale-5-games-at-0-99/

blades of fury
dungeon hunter
earthworm jim
skater nation
real soccer 2010

edit: also Zombiesmash, a castle defense game was released yesterday for 1.99, looks very polished and is getting a lot of positive early buzz, I picked it up but haven't had a chance to play it yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1eF0awSI_s&feature=player_embedded[/QUOTE]
Sweeet! Some quality discounts there. . .down goes my account balance. . .

[quote name='Enclave Soldier']Dungeon Hunter is pretty good, the rest of the Gameloft games are unplayable, generic garbage.[/QUOTE]

Worth a buck?

Not a game and not even an "app", at least not what we are use to being an app, but the VoiceCentral downloadable web app is out. This is pretty neat if you've got a Google Voice account (and not of any use if you don't). It use to be an app until Apple kicked all the Google Voice apps out of the store. :( Anyway, this is a pretty surprising web app as it demonstrates that web apps can be a lot more then I realized.

For one thing it doesn't run in Safari, or at least it doesn't appear to. You "install" it from Safari by bookmarking it as an icon on the dashboard, but clicking that icon in the dashboard doesn't open Safari, it seems to open a separate app, and the web app is essentially indistinguishable from a 'real' app. It functions and looks like a real app (there's no address bar at the top, for instance, or any other signs of a browser.)

There are shortcomings, though, such as no integration with the iPhone address book (probably not allowed from a web app) and no notifications. There are ways around these issues though. If you've got a Mac you can sync your address book with google (see the preferences of the Address Book application on your Mac), and I'm using https://www.gvmax.com/ to forward Google Voice voicemail and SMS messages to my AIM account, which I receive notifications of via BeeJiveIM on my iPhone. Anyway, until (and if) Apple pulls its head out, this is probably the best we are going to get, and it's worth checking out. You can use it free with most features enabled but with ads, or pay $6 a year for a premium subscription with no ads and some additional features (such as Favorites, importing contact pictures, etc.)

http://voicecentral.riverturn.com/

The Premium subscription also has a 7 day free trial, which I'm in the middle of. If you cancel within 7 days you don't get charged. I'm probably going to pay for it. It's pretty nice.

[quote name='Darthrook']Wow thanks ^^. I'm in for dungeon hunter. Is Blades of Fury a must buy at .99 cents? I haven't tried a fighting game on the iphone yet.[/QUOTE]

it plays like soul calibur in that the characters have weapons, before street fighter came out I think it was considered the best fighting game, if you like the genre I'd say its easily worth a buck

Dungeon Hunter's touch controls are really good, barring some goofy pathfinding every so often. It's totally worth a buck for some good ol' fashioned lootwhoring.

691963.png
Battle for Wesnoth is 40% off today only, bringing it to $2.99.

Fantastic turn-based strategy game.

If you missed the 99 cent sale back in February, this one is almost as good.

Eugh, most of those Gameloft games, I don't think I can do it. Never played EWJ outside of iphone but it seems the touch controls here were pretty crap.

[quote name='Enclave Soldier']Dungeon Hunter is pretty good, the rest of the Gameloft games are unplayable, generic garbage.[/QUOTE]

Bullshit ... I don't know how you measure the quality of games on your iphone or if you only own 2 or 3 games at a time, but gameloft consistently releases solid, fun games ... if not original and most often complete rip offs of bigger franchises not found on phones.

To call them unplayable generic garbage is ridiculous though and Blades is definitely worth $1 if you want the closest thing you'll ever find to Soul Calibur on your iphone or touch. But your comment is absolutely absurd ...

[quote name='donburns99'] Battle for Wesnoth is 40% off today only, bringing it to $2.99.
If you missed the 99 cent sale back in February, this one is almost as good.[/QUOTE]
almost as good? it's 3x the price! MADNESS!

[quote name='Fire_Thief']Wow, nice.. I'm about to buy Dungeon Hunter, Blades of Fury, and Earthworm Jim. These games are normally $7 each...[/QUOTE]
Yeah man, think I am going to do the same thing. I tried EWJ, but the controls were so-so...it has been 4.99 for a while, but for 0.99 I will definitely grab it. Gonna try the demos of the other two...they look good for 99 cents.

*Edit*
Went ahead and grabbed all 3 (EWJ, BoF, and DH). BoF is an awesome Soul Calibur type fighter...I use joystick and button controls and they seem to be great. Liked the DH demo, but havent started the full game. Great games for 99 cents for sure.

Not a deal, but has anyone tried Six String? I got it this morning and am loving it as an alternative to the tap tap clones of the world.

[quote name='etcrane']Bullshit ... I don't know how you measure the quality of games on your iphone or if you only own 2 or 3 games at a time, but gameloft consistently releases solid, fun games ... if not original and most often complete rip offs of bigger franchises not found on phones.

To call them unplayable generic garbage is ridiculous though and Blades is definitely worth $1 if you want the closest thing you'll ever find to Soul Calibur on your iphone or touch. But your comment is absolutely absurd ...[/QUOTE]

My "measurement of quality" for iPhone games is not any different from my other platforms. The Gameloft games are just average at best. They are not solid nor fun (without a few exceptions). They suffer from godawful gameplay, which is the most important aspect of any videogame.

You can do better on the appstore, even for $0.99. Dungeon Hunter is worth the buck, the rest? not so much.

[quote name='Enclave Soldier']My "measurement of quality" for iPhone games is not any different from my other platforms. The Gameloft games are just average at best. They are not solid nor fun (without a few exceptions). They suffer from godawful gameplay, which is the most important aspect of any videogame.

You can do better on the appstore, even for $0.99. Dungeon Hunter is worth the buck, the rest? not so much.[/QUOTE]

im confused...either you haven't played most those games because you wouldn't have paid for a company's games that you hate making your opinion baseless and of little merit, or you bought 5 games by a publisher you can't stand...doesn't seem to make sense...the soccer game, earthworm jim and blades of fury are very full featured games for a buck.

lite versions bro. I checked the lite versions of gangstar, earthworm jim, driver, nova, sandstorm, etc. and found all those games atrocious. Dungeon Hunter is the only game I purchased and enjoyed a lot.

Bought Blades of Fury and Skater Nation, thanks for the tips. I played the lite version of BoF some time ago and it was really good, just didn't want to pay $5. :)
As for Dungeon Master, I want to support Underworlds instead, so ... so I got that. Yeah.

I have Dungeon Hunter. I can vouch that it's a good hack and slash. I found it hard to know how to get through the main quest though (and can't find a walk through). Anyway, I recommend it.

For the sale, I think I'm picking up EJ. I have it on my mobile phone (LG Xenon) and it sucks controls wise. But tried the demo on iTunes and while not perfect, it's much, much better on my iPod Touch.

zeb06 - Ghost n Goblins is okay - graphics are really nice, but the controls aren't so hot. For 0.99 I didn't regret it - but def. not worth the full price.

[quote name='Enclave Soldier']lite versions bro. I checked the lite versions of gangstar, earthworm jim, driver, nova, sandstorm, etc. and found all those games atrocious. Dungeon Hunter is the only game I purchased and enjoyed a lot.[/QUOTE]

ah, fair enough...such and obvious explanation I some how didn't think of.

[quote name='Enclave Soldier']lite versions bro. I checked the lite versions of gangstar, earthworm jim, driver, nova, sandstorm, etc. and found all those games atrocious. Dungeon Hunter is the only game I purchased and enjoyed a lot.[/QUOTE]

God I wish Sandstorm was part of this sale. That would be an instant buy for me. I've been waiting for a sale on that.

[quote name='IcBluScRn']i tried to buy earthworm jim and it said i did not have enough space. Must be big files[/QUOTE]

ya, all gameloft games are usually very big...also, i got around to playing the first few levels in dungeon hunter and, like others, I would say its easily a great buy at a buck

Downloaded Aftermath today. It's another $0.99 (introductory price) dual-stick zombie shooter, but in this case, it's a 3D world with good lighting effects and good enough controls. Seems like it'll be awfully short, but for a new twist on the dual-stick genre, I'm not really going to complain, though I will admit that I'm not really compelled to play it all the way through just yet.

http://toucharcade.com/2010/03/18/aftermath-a-really-creepy-zombie-shooter/

I'm enjoying Kaloki Adventure, if anyone was wondering if it's worth downloading. It's sort of like a very light simcity/civ revolutions/viva pinata type game where you manage resources and upgrade units until you hit certain goals. It's not amazing but it's worth checking out for free if you like these types of games.

[quote name='dubbfoolio']I'm enjoying Kaloki Adventure, if anyone was wondering if it's worth downloading. It's sort of like a very light simcity/civ revolutions/viva pinata type game where you manage resources and upgrade units until you hit certain goals. It's not amazing but it's worth checking out for free if you like these types of games.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I had it for XBLA. It's a good game. I just am not really into sim city type games, but for everyone elese, definately worth the downloads for free considering you're also getting the expansions packs from X
XBLA.

bread's done
Back