iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='djblue']Is anyone down to form a Iphone gameshare group ?[/QUOTE]Sounds like a bad idea to me. Anyone in here probably already has an iTunes account, and that'd have to be forfeited to join a gameshare. But by all means, if you get some people to do it, enjoy!

Apps are so cheap a gamesharing group isn't really necessary. You can get a lot of good stuff for free, and most stuff eventually makes it's way to $.99.

[quote name='djblue']Is anyone down to form a Iphone gameshare group ?[/QUOTE]

Letting someone else have access to your itunes account is a terrible idea, no matter how cheapass you are.

I think by gameshare group, he means create a brand new iTunes account and use that to buy games/apps. Then, just like with PS3 gameshares, five people would have access to it and split the cost of things 5-ways.

The biggest downside I see would be only being able to use that gameshare iTunes account on your iPhone. It might be good for someone starting fresh with an iPhone, but not for those who already have a lot of items purchased on their own personal iTunes account.

I've been in PlayStation gameshares and am starting fresh with an iPhone soon, but I think I'll pass on an iPhone gameshare - mainly because you can get most games pretty cheap anyway. PlayStation gamesharing is more practical because you can have more than one account on your system, unlike with the iPhone...at least I think that's how the iPhone works. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

[quote name='ivanwijaya']did anybody see the 'reportedly' new iphone?

http://gizmodo.com/5520164/this-is-apples-next-iphone[/QUOTE]Yep, it doesn't really look like it stands up to Apple's normal aesthetic standard, but if it has the features it's reported to have, then it should be worth it (front facing camera, replaceable battery).

Still, I'm stuck with BlackBerry for work reasons, so it doesn't much matter to me (though I will beg for an iPhone when it hits Verizon).

[quote name='iowaholdem']Still, I'm stuck with BlackBerry for work reasons, so it doesn't much matter to me (though I will beg for an iPhone when it hits Verizon).[/QUOTE]
The HTC Incredible says hello...:wave:

[quote name='punkmaggit']I've actually tried Crosslogic Ultimate and it has SO much potential, but the control scheme just kills it. It's frustrating to move anywhere on the board.[/QUOTE]
Man, this thread always moves at light speed.
Have you tried Crosslogic with 2 hands? That's how I play. One navigating the board, the other hitting either X or chisel. My wife, on the other hand, plays one-handed. I think you can also tweak the controls to chisel when you tap a square, a la Picross DS.

[quote name='aaronmills']The biggest downside I see would be only being able to use that gameshare iTunes account on your iPhone. It might be good for someone starting fresh with an iPhone, but not for those who already have a lot of items purchased on their own personal iTunes account.[/QUOTE]
That's not how it works. Your PC can be an authorized user for any number of iTunes accounts (like PS3.) If you had a game from a gameshare account, as long as your PC/Mac was authorized you could load items from that account and your personal account on the same iPhone/Touch, etc.

I wish I could upgrade to the new iPhone. Damn 2 year contract. Oh well.

I'm in the camp that believes this accidental loss of an iPhone 4 might not have been so accidental. What a great way to drum up hype!

@ SCHUMWAY: Well, I said "correct me if I'm wrong" and apparently I was wrong so thanks for setting things straight. If it's true that you can load items you've downloaded from multiple accounts on your computer to one iPhone, then a gameshare wouldn't be a half-bad idea.

[quote name='crunchewy']I wish I could upgrade to the new iPhone. Damn 2 year contract. Oh well.

I'm in the camp that believes this accidental loss of an iPhone 4 might not have been so accidental. What a great way to drum up hype![/QUOTE]

Apple is pretty good with controlled leaks, but never to the point where the press has actually got a hold of the actual device. The bar that it was found is where apple is headquartered, so it's entirely possible it was legitametly lost. Gizmodo has a video of it now.

[quote name='caltab']Apple is pretty good with controlled leaks, but never to the point where the press has actually got a hold of the actual device. The bar that it was found is where apple is headquartered, so it's entirely possible it was legitametly lost. Gizmodo has a video of it now.[/QUOTE]
Or just as likely, it was stolen.

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2010/04/19/gizmodo-rumors

It’s been an open secret to those of us in the racket that Gizmodo purchased this unit about a week ago, from those who claimed to find it. That this belongs to and was made by Apple is almost beyond question at this point. Just how much it looks like what Apple plans to ship this summer, I don’t know. Note that it’s thinner than a 3GS.

I’m mentioned in the article, and must respond. Jason Chen writes:

Apple-connected John Gruber — from Daring Fireball — says that Apple has indeed lost a prototype iPhone and they want it back:

So I called around, and I now believe this is an actual unit from Apple — a unit Apple is very interested in getting back.

Obviously someone found it, and here it is.

Note that I did not use the word “lost”. It is my understanding that Apple considers this unit stolen, not lost. And as for the “someone(s)” who “found” it, I believe it is disingenuous for Gizmodo to play coy, as though they don’t know who the someones are.

I thought the content was registered to the computer and you are limited to only 5 computers, but technically you could be open to as many ipads/iphones and ipod touches as you would like. Not sure if there is a limit, but I can load all my ipod apps to my ipad and vice versa.

Content is based on your account itself. Your account can be authorized on 5 PCs/Macs at any point in time. The iPods, etc, don't count against the total authorized machines.

Trick is you can only probably have one account linked to the ipad at a time and also if you got to synch you would need to do so to one of the 5 registered PCs.

[quote name='darknight88']You guys think the new Ipod Touch will have the new design as the new iPhone? Still not sure if to wait for the 4G iTouch or buy the cheaper 3G.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to guess yes. The upcoming iPhone 4G is probably going to pack a lot more power and features to compete with all the new phones that have been gunning for Apple's market share over the past year or so.

The current iPhone and iTouch are essentially the same thing--with the iTouch not having the phone/3G capabilities.

It's really up to you though. I opted for a 2G iTouch just this past December because the 3G didn't have that many new things to warrant the extra cash I'd have to pony up. If I had known that a new iTouch was coming up in the upcoming months though, I would have just waited it out and see what the 4G would offer.

[quote name='captainsmirk']Turned out to be a pretty decent game, thanks[/QUOTE]

Apparently it's a rebrand of the DSi game Escapee GO! Great game on the DSi, so I can totally buy it being a fine addition to the iPhone games lineup.

[quote name='crunchewy']I wish I could upgrade to the new iPhone. Damn 2 year contract. Oh well.

I'm in the camp that believes this accidental loss of an iPhone 4 might not have been so accidental. What a great way to drum up hype![/QUOTE]

You can upgrade...it just renews your 2 year contract

[quote name='BluePotato']not a game, but Lonely Planet is offering 13 of its European city guides for free (normally $15 or so each).[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

For those considering sharing iTunes account, only do it with people you trust since its connected to someone's credit card. I share mine with my girlfriend and on occasion have let a couple people use my account to download games I've raved about. No issues with multiple phones/touches using my account, so it works just be careful who you share with.

[quote name='aaronmills']I think by gameshare group, he means create a brand new iTunes account and use that to buy games/apps. Then, just like with PS3 gameshares, five people would have access to it and split the cost of things 5-ways.

The biggest downside I see would be only being able to use that gameshare iTunes account on your iPhone. It might be good for someone starting fresh with an iPhone, but not for those who already have a lot of items purchased on their own personal iTunes account.

I've been in PlayStation gameshares and am starting fresh with an iPhone soon, but I think I'll pass on an iPhone gameshare - mainly because you can get most games pretty cheap anyway. PlayStation gamesharing is more practical because you can have more than one account on your system, unlike with the iPhone...at least I think that's how the iPhone works. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.[/QUOTE]

It would be too easy to 'hack' and overtake a Gameshare group like this since they would all use the same login and password. All someone would have to do is contact Apple and clear all the authorizations. Then login, authorize, and change the password. Apple lets you clear and reassign all 5 authorizations once a year.

I'm about to drop some serious money on the App store in about 2 days. Gonna buy these:

Hook Champ - 3

Canabalt - 3

Dark Void Zero - 3

Plants Vs Zombies - 3

Simon the Sorcerer 1 and 2 - 2 each

Touch Grind - 5

Super excited, brah... Bout to drop some serious stacks on these games lmao. I'll be heartbroken if they ever go on sale or are free.

[quote name='lllGurulll']I just hope the next iPod Touch gets all these features. The fact the Touch does not have a camera is asinine.[/QUOTE]
I would love GPS as well, but I suppose Apple has to leave some features exclusive to the iPhone.

Square Enix sale.

Two weeks only! To commemorate the release of CHAOS RINGS, all Square Enix games are on sale!

350697.png
SONG SUMMONER: The Unsung Heroes – Encore ($9.99 -> $7.99)
825813.png
Hills and Rivers Remain ($6.99 -> $4.99)
996579.png
SLIDING HEROES ($2.99 -> $.99)
457759.png
VANGUARD STORM ($4.99 -> $3.99)
186798.png
CRYSTAL DEFENDERS ($7.99 -> $5.99)
972939.png
FINAL FANTASY ($8.99 -> $6.99)
974729.png
FINAL FANTASY II ($8.99 -> $6.99)
637135.png
FINAL FANTASY XIII Larger-than-Life Gallery ($8.99 -> $5.99)

And of course, the game that caused the sale:

678365.png
CHAOS RINGS ($12.99)

Just bought Simon the Sorcerer 1 and 2 at 2 bucks each. Nothing in that Square sale for me.. Got all excited over nothing. Sure I would like to own most of those, but those prices are just too high for my ass to fathom. lol

every game except...Chaos Rings! *shakes fist*

I bought it anyway. It's really awesome...PS1-era Square-Enix with some modern touches. You can't go wrong.

Would've bought FF1 if it were like $3.99. :\

bread's done
Back