iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='107proof']Anyone else try the 101 games in one app. Opinions? On the fence on this one.[/QUOTE]
You do realize that most of those 100 games are locked, right? You start out with 10 mini games and then you beat those to unlock others. The main complaint I've read is that the difficulty is all over the place (as far as unlocking the additional content). Some of the games are pretty easy to beat while others are near impossible.

[quote name='ninja dog']Chaos Rings is better than pretty much all of S-E's DS and PSP outings, besides Crisis Core. People have nothing but good things to say about it so far.

Trust me people....don't spend $7 on FF1 or 2 when you can spend $6 more and get an awesome full featured 3D rpg.

yeah, you're misreading it. The game is a JRPG. You dungeon crawl and go back and forth between a hub world.[/QUOTE]

I read some of the reviews for FF1 saying the touch interface was really clunky and had major issues. Is this true? I've been waiting to see if an update would follow and haven't seen one yet.

Call me old school. But I lost a lot of interest in the FF1 remakes once they went to the MP system. I missed the days of being forced to save good spells for times that really mattered and having a black/white mage/wizard who's attacks did absolutely nothing. Mage Staff and Thor's Hammer baby!!! Heck I even loved the days of putting something heavy on a turbo controller and walking out of the room as I waited until I had 99 potions.

[quote name='ninja dog']Chaos Rings is better than pretty much all of S-E's DS and PSP outings, besides Crisis Core. People have nothing but good things to say about it so far.

Trust me people....don't spend $7 on FF1 or 2 when you can spend $6 more and get an awesome full featured 3D rpg.

yeah, you're misreading it. The game is a JRPG. You dungeon crawl and go back and forth between a hub world.[/QUOTE]

Better than SE's DS games? LOL :lol:

Anyway, I got Bit Pilot for a buck. Pretty decent time-waster with great music.

I'm a little on the fence in regards to Chaos Rings. I've heard some really good things about it, but the problem is that I have this philosophy of not paying more than $9.99 for an iPhone game. I mean, I bit on Soul Summoner at full price, and while I enjoyed it, it wasn't really worth that amount, on top of that, there's a number of games (admittedly on different genres) that would most likely hold my interest as long (sometimes even longer) at half (and at times, even less than half) the price (Sword and Poker and BaseBall Superstars 2010 instantly come to mind)

If 3 bucks is gonna stop you from getting a game because of some philosophy than its gonna stop you....but it's only 3 bucks.

Also zen tilt is free for 12 hours

I keep thinking "3 bucks? I spent that much on PvZ", so in my head it's not "just" $3 bucks anymore. Admittedly it's flawed logic.

I've had second thoughts (in reverse) about the the Opera Mini Browser. I had deleted it, having found it terrible, but I put it back to test out something - if it would display those Walmart bundle deals pages properly such as the Wii deal that's been posted here... and well I'm not sure it's displaying them "properly", but at least you do in fact see all the game/accessory options listed and the page essentially works! In Safari you see one and half or so of the items, and the rest are cut off as it appears to be trying to display a scrolling list box, but it can't actually do that. Of course the problem here is walmart.com, and far more sites look wrong in Opera Mini and right in Safar, but in any case, Opera Mini can be a workaround for such situations - worth trying anyway. As such it's going to stay on my iPhone now.

[quote name='prayformojo']Chromixa is great, check that one out while it is free.[/QUOTE]

seconded. it's a great puzzle game. don't miss it while it's free.

[quote name='107proof']
529174.png

BloodnGuns FREE!!!
In collaboration with OpenFeint's Free Game of the Day, BloodnGuns is Free for TODAY only.

"Possibly the Best Dual-Stick Shooter On the App Store" - Nodpad.com
http://appshopper.com/games/bloodnguns[/QUOTE]

This is an awesomely fun twin-stick shooter and the implementation of OpenFeint is really slick. I'm glad I picked up this freebie.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']101 in 1 is garbage. The touches barely register, and most don't register at all in the games. Sigh.[/QUOTE]

Hmm Didn't you say this yesterday....

[quote name='Fire_Thief']Trust me, the 101 in 1 app is awesome. I enjoy everything on it... It holds my interest for hours at a time. Well worth 99 cents.[/QUOTE]

Wow! Its amazing how 24 hours changes your stance on this one. .. glad I was hesitant about it and didn't waste my hard earned $0.99.

[quote name='Enclave Soldier']Better than SE's DS games? LOL :lol:

[/QUOTE]

TWEWY is the only decent original game. what's left...revenant wings, crystal chronicles games? the rest are ports...the only one of which that's worth playing is Chrono Trigger. I guess people still pretend the DQ series is decent and not a complete grind.

oh well, a pretty awesome rpg came out for the system and people are gonna sleep on it because it's not $.99, and instead, a realistic price. Meanwhile, they'll drop $40 for a rereleased NES game on the DS without batting an eye. :lol:

[quote name='paddlefoot']I read some of the reviews for FF1 saying the touch interface was really clunky and had major issues. Is this true? I've been waiting to see if an update would follow and haven't seen one yet.

Call me old school. But I lost a lot of interest in the FF1 remakes once they went to the MP system. I missed the days of being forced to save good spells for times that really mattered and having a black/white mage/wizard who's attacks did absolutely nothing. Mage Staff and Thor's Hammer baby!!! Heck I even loved the days of putting something heavy on a turbo controller and walking out of the room as I waited until I had 99 potions.[/QUOTE]

I haven't played the iPhone version of FF1...probably won't. But yeah, I remember the MP system breaking the hell out of the PSP version. FF1 original is a brutal game. It would be cool if they offered an original difficulty mode!

[quote name='Fire_Thief']101 in 1 is garbage. The touches barely register, and most don't register at all in the games. Sigh.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I actually thought my Touch was broken after playing this for a while since it was incredibly hard to get it to register anything. There are times when you would have to flick something 5 or 6 times to get it to register a move.

The concept on the game wasn't bad and most of the games are ok for what it is, but it is simply broken from a control prospective.

[quote name='ninja dog']TWEWY is the only decent original game. what's left...revenant wings, crystal chronicles games? the rest are ports...the only one of which that's worth playing is Chrono Trigger. I guess people still pretend the DQ series is decent and not a complete grind.

oh well, a pretty awesome rpg came out for the system and people are gonna sleep on it because it's not $.99, and instead, a realistic price. Meanwhile, they'll drop $40 for a rereleased NES game on the DS without batting an eye. :lol:[/QUOTE]
Relativity. $0.99 goes a long way on the iPhone, while $20 won't get you much on the DS. Realistic price if it were on another system? Yes, actually it would be very cheap. But on the iPhone it needs to be thirteen times better than the average iPhone game to justify the price. Considering the plethora of awesome free or $0.99 games I've gotten, that is nearly impossible.

[quote name='Apathetic-Irony']Relativity. $0.99 goes a long way on the iPhone, while $20 won't get you much on the DS. Realistic price if it were on another system? Yes, actually it would be very cheap. But on the iPhone it needs to be thirteen times better than the average iPhone game to justify the price. Considering the plethora of awesome free or $0.99 games I've gotten, that is nearly impossible.[/QUOTE]

It's an interesting experiment. I guess we'll see if there's a market for full production value, exclusive 3D games on the iPhone. GTA and Call Of Duty obviously cleaned up, but this is a new IP for an already niche genre.

I guess I'm the rare iPhone owner that buys few, but relatively expensive games with full production values like GTA, Wolf3d RPG, ESPgaluda 2, and this. and drop7 of course. The first month I had my phone, I went crazy with the cheap games, but I never played any of them, despite how much praise some of them get.

Chaos Rings does look hella cool, but there is no way I'd send that kind of money on an iPhone game. I've gotten way too much gameplay out of game $3 and less that this price tag is just too much for me to handle.

It may be my loss, but I can wait for a sale since there are dozens of games I've never gotten to yet.

[quote name='caltab']Babylonian twins is on sale this weekend for .99. This is a great old school puzzle platformer. It's also 1.99 pn the iPad.[/QUOTE]
Dang it! I bit on this one at full price last week because of all the glowing reviews it was receiving. Oh well, it's a terrific platformer that was easily worth the two bucks I dropped. Being a Cheap Ass Gamer, however, you know how I loves me a bargain.

Well, with the help of this thread, my iPod touch is littered with free to $0.99 games (A few $2.99 games here and there). So with that in mind, I said why the hell not and bit on Chaos Rings and I gotta' say, this game honestly lives up to the hype. The story is actually good, the characters intersting, battle system fun and challenging for a turn based game and the music is amazing. Also, this I feel is the best use if the virtual joypad on the system.

The only drawback I personally have so far is the puzzle sections of the game. I can get why it would have the sections, but I feel they could have been better implemented into the core of the game, plus some of them are pretty challenging (not in a good way either). Other than that, I can't believe this game is actually on this platform.

If you liked the PS1 era of RPG's I strongly suggest you pick this game up. And think of it this way, we've all saved tons of money with the help of this thread, I don't see what the harm would be for actually buying a game that's worth it.

[quote name='ZForce915']Chaos Rings does look hella cool, but there is no way I'd send that kind of money on an iPhone game. I've gotten way too much gameplay out of game $3 and less that this price tag is just too much for me to handle.

It may be my loss, but I can wait for a sale since there are dozens of games I've never gotten to yet.[/QUOTE]
If you want to waste your time playing dregs just to save a buck that's your call. Chaos Rings is a fully featured, 20+ hour RPG. I've played a lot of iphone games, and there's maybe a couple others I've enjoyed as much.

[quote name='ninja dog']It's an interesting experiment. I guess we'll see if there's a market for full production value, exclusive 3D games on the iPhone. GTA and Call Of Duty obviously cleaned up, but this is a new IP for an already niche genre.

I guess I'm the rare iPhone owner that buys few, but relatively expensive games with full production values like GTA, Wolf3d RPG, ESPgaluda 2, and this. and drop7 of course. The first month I had my phone, I went crazy with the cheap games, but I never played any of them, despite how much praise some of them get.[/QUOTE]

I feel and acted the exact same way. I still jump on a ton of .99 deals but never end up getting much out of them. But the high end production games I've purchased I keep going back for more.

Minisquadron special edition comes out tonight at 11 eastern, it's free for the first few stages then dlc. If you haven't played minisquadron you gotta check this out, and if you have I'm sure you are looking forward to this already. The original is probably in my top 3 or 5 all time favorite apps.

Also super 7 is out for .99. It's by the developer of alphabetic. You draw lines to connect the numbers to add up to 7.

Sword and poker dropped a buck to $1.99. I am a CAG so I am hoping for another drop to $0.99. Or if the dev wanted to send me a promo to get it for free. That would be sweet!! I will be happy to beta test for them. Hint. Hint.

Here's your Thursday free app sites roundup:

Free App a Day has Voice Onrush (http://www.freeappaday.com/app.php?day=52&month=04) in addition to Heavy Gunner 3D (http://www.freeappaday.com/app.php?day=22&month=04).
OpenFeint has the platformer Jungle Runner (http://www.freeappaday.com/app.php?day=22&month=04).
Great App a Day is showing Tower Blocks (http://www.greatappaday.com/details/tower-blocks/).
Free App Calendar has a puzzler called Rubehouse (http://www.freeappcalendar.com/details.php?id=110).

[quote name='107proof']Sword and poker dropped a buck to $1.99. I am a CAG so I am hoping for another drop to $0.99. Or if the dev wanted to send me a promo to get it for free. That would be sweet!! I will be happy to beta test for them. Hint. Hint.[/QUOTE]

It actually dropped 2 bucks, and I highly recommend purchasing it for $2. awesome game.

HOLY CRAP

"Discount campaign to celebrate the release of 'Sword & Poker 2'(Coming soon!!)."

YES!

[quote name='doodofdoods']It actually dropped 2 bucks, and I highly recommend purchasing it for $2. awesome game.

HOLY CRAP

"Discount campaign to celebrate the release of 'Sword & Poker 2'(Coming soon!!)."

YES![/QUOTE]

Sword and Poker 2! That is just sa-weet!

I'd pay $5 for that no questions asked.

I am surprised thought that they didn't add a level pack or something to the first one for a buck or two.

[quote name='LuisRM']Sword and Poker 2! That is just sa-weet!

I'd pay $5 for that no questions asked.

I am surprised thought that they didn't add a level pack or something to the first one for a buck or two.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I would totally drop up to $7.50 on sword and poker II :D

[quote name='doodofdoods']It actually dropped 2 bucks, and I highly recommend purchasing it for $2. awesome game.

HOLY CRAP

YES![/QUOTE]

Wow, he'll yeah, I read your post a while ago and some how missed the fact that a sequel is coming out. That is awesome news. also heavy squadron 3d is fun for free.

[quote name='caltab']Wow, he'll yeah, I read your post a while ago and some how missed the fact that a sequel is coming out. That is awesome news. also heavy squadron 3d is fun for free.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't part of my original post, I had went to check appshopper to make sure it actually was $4 like I had remembered, and read that line in Sword & Poker's description and had to edit it in real quick, with the appropriate emotion.

[quote name='xCappax']what is sword & poker like? is it tower defense-esque? or?[/QUOTE]

It's a poker rpg. there are 3 rivers on the playing field that you build around using the cards in your hand to form poker hands. the better the hand the more damage you do to your opponent. You win a match by taking your opponent's coins down to zero. there are a variety of rpg aspects added to the gameplay, like magic spells, equipment, and status effects. The game is set up as a dungeon explorer, where you clear floors full of monsters, making your way down to the final boss.

there is a HD version of Chaos Rings in the works, based on what other developers have done, I highly doubt it will be a universal free upgrade. Just wanted to give any ipad owners thinking about running this in x2 mode a heads up that they should probably wait to pick this up or risk getting hosed. I wish square would have announced this earlier.

[quote name='prayformojo']Hopefully Sword and Poker 2 comes to the ipad natively, one of the best ipod games out there.[/QUOTE]
QFT
Cant wait!

Does anyone know if you can transfer game save between iphone and ipad? Like if I want to play outside on the iphone but at home with the ipad.

[quote name='62t']Does anyone know if you can transfer game save between iphone and ipad? Like if I want to play outside on the iphone but at home with the ipad.[/QUOTE]

Isn't the whole point of the iPad is that it is portable and you can take it with you wherever? iPad fail =)

bread's done
Back