iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jcp42877']Any game worth getting that are truly addictive and worthwhile on here? I have a PS3 & 360 and I just don't find myself playing my itouch games that much...and i've spent a lot of money into some games.

only one I've found to be fanatastic is Sword & Poker & Hero of Sparta, and i've enjoyed the demo of CoD Zombies. How are:

Iron Man 2
Plants & Zombies
NOVA

?[/QUOTE]

Plants & Zombies - I kinda hated tower defense games, but I decided to buy PvZ on a hunch and after 3 straight hours, my itouch shut down and that was the only way I stopped playing. Play the PC demo though as the above user stated.

NOVA - Best FPS in my opinion on the iphone. Definitely works well and proves FPSs can be done there. I love FPSs, so this one is recommended if you like that genre.

Other recommendations are: Tilt to Live, Spider, 30-in-1 Gamebox, Angry Birds, Hit N Run, Boxed In, Ragdoll, Hoggy, ReBounce, Hungry Shark, Street Fighter 4 (its great for a small bit sized fighter, but expensive). Those are my main ones.

[quote name='Malik112099']Super 7 is different and interesting but (for me) gets old quickly[/QUOTE]

Same way I felt about Alphabetic. That game lasted me about 15 minutes. Twice. I tried it again several weeks back and, actually the second time it was only about 5 minutes. The game is pretty annoying. Just search for and tap the f-ing letter as they move around, sometimes in extremely annoying fashion. I really don't get it.

I haven't tried Super 7, but after Alphabetic, I'm not likely to ever try it.

My current addiction is to Sword of Fargoal, which I think is totally worth the $3.99 asking price... though I got it for free when it went free for a day or whatever length of time it was. I'm ready to give them money for DLC in return, even if it's crap, but I doubt it would be. I've been playing Sword of Fargoal like crazy. It's a rogue-like, I think, though perhaps not strictly. Anyway, it's great.

Plants vs. Zombies... call me crazy, but I haven't been able to stick with this game. It's great looking, plays great, is funny, better then other tower defense games... but all these tower defense games I play for a little while and then never touch again. I'm not really sure why.

Yeah. I agree. Super 7, although unique needs something to keep me coming back. I played a couple games last night and it needs different game modes or something extra added to increase the fun factor and replay value. Hopefully it will get a nice update to fill the void. I am glad I only paid $0.99. Not sorry I bought it just wish there were more to it.

I'm glad to hear someone say that about PvZ. Thought I was crazy. The game held my interest for about a week. I beat every level that I played on my first try and I just thought it was too easy.

Gotta agree that PvZ is a bit on the easier side, but I thought it was a great little game. The levels are short enough for me to get a bit of gaming in between breaks (between classes, work breaks, taking a shit, etc).

Also, +1 for Marble Merge. It was a free app of the day a couple days back and it looks like it still is. Fun little game, that looks great with some good music.

The highly-rated strategy puzzler HexaGo is free "for today only" (http://www.appshopper.com/games/hexago).

"HexaGo

HexaGo is a game about control of territory, played on a board made of hexagons. Two players struggle over the control of the board, one with the green pieces, the other with the blue ones.

The rules are the same as in the famous old game Hexxagon, but the wide variety of boards and the evil A.I. makes this game much more challenging."

[quote name='mcdaking84']de blob worth $1?[/QUOTE]

There is a lite version of it. Try it yourself. I've always though it is better for me to play a demo of a game than any review. And its free.

[quote name='crunchewy']My current addiction is to Sword of Fargoal, which I think is totally worth the $3.99 asking price... though I got it for free when it went free for a day or whatever length of time it was. I'm ready to give them money for DLC in return, even if it's crap, but I doubt it would be. I've been playing Sword of Fargoal like crazy. It's a rogue-like, I think, though perhaps not strictly. Anyway, it's great.

Plants vs. Zombies... call me crazy, but I haven't been able to stick with this game. It's great looking, plays great, is funny, better then other tower defense games... but all these tower defense games I play for a little while and then never touch again. I'm not really sure why.[/QUOTE]

My addiction was Bejeweled Blitz. I was so addicted I had to delete it from my iPhone.

Sword & Poker 2 seems tougher than the first one. I just got my ass handed to me by the boss in the pyramid. I came in with full health, the 2nd strongest weapon available, and a shield that prevents his special effect... and he still beat me.

The main problem is his special ability that cuts the strength of some of your poker hands in half. It's done at random and changes each round. It puts you at a real disadvantage.

My tastes don't usually align with the norm, but here are my top piks:

Drop7 - Unique falling blocks puzzler w/ numbers. Very addictive. My first iphone game & I still play it.
Angry Birds - Clever, funny, challenging. Can't go wrong with this one.
KakuroX - Nice little Cross Sums/Kakuro puzzle generator. Randomly generated puzzles and free.
Card Shark - Solid collection of solitaire card games.
ADoodleFly - Weird & addicting. An elephant flings you in the air to score points & beat challenges.
Ultimate Hangman - Tons of words at all levels, plus play with a partner. Funny doodle animations.
Jumbline - Excellent word jumble game. Highly polished with ingeniously smooth interface.
Dungeon Scroll - Nice little word jumble/puzzlequest hybrid.
The Creeps! - Great tower defense with monsters. Many maps & trophies.
Geo-Defense - Another great tower defense w/ psychedelic vector graphics.

Super Fruitfall - Puzzle Fun !

480668.png

FREE FOR ONE WEEK ONLY

8 out of 10, Silver Award, PocketGamer.co.uk - "adds more than a little unique citrus tang"

"level designs become increasingly intricate and perplexing - often the simplest arrangement of blocks and lines can keep the fruit apart in seemingly impossible ways".

http://appshopper.com/games/super-fruitfall

[quote name='Fire_Thief']Can we please limit your apps to one post, brah? It's getting crazy.[/QUOTE]

If I find more than one at the same time I will post them in the same post. If I find one deal and 10 minutes later find another deal. I will post separately.

Also depends on if I am posting from my phone, if on my phone, one deal one post. Too much copying, switching windows. pasting, switching windows, copy, go back to cag.com window and hope it doesnt refresh and loosing my paste from 10 seconds earlier.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']Can we please limit your apps to one post, brah? It's getting crazy.[/QUOTE]

Does it really matter brah? He's doing, basically, everyone a favor by posting them as soon as possible. Saves me a ton of time searching...

[quote name='Fire_Thief']I'm buying these apps in 2 days:

Canabalt
Hook Champ
Tilt to Live
Hysteria Project
Dark Void Zero[/QUOTE]

Buy tilt to live today. No need to wait. It is DEF worth the asking price. They others, eh... I would wait for a sale.

Space Traffic

Free today, Not sure if its good but all 5 star reviews so far. Could be to promote their own game. I dunno.. worth downloading and seeing.

This galaxy is about to be destroyed.
You’ll have to take the planets to the galaxy next door, but only the red planets are able to move forward.

Space Traffic is an amazing and challenging line drawing game. A must have app.

http://appshopper.com/games/space-traffic

Canabalt
Hook Champ
Tilt to Live
Hysteria Project
Dark Void Zero[/QUOTE]

Canabalt is very addicting, worth it.

Playing Hysteria Project on PS3 (mini), not impressed. The image is blurry (probably due to the fact that it's not on a tiny screen like a handheld), but more importantly it's just...stupid...

Haven't tried Dark Void Zero yet, but i'm waiting for a sale.

Never played the other two.

[quote name='the_punisher']Canabalt is very addicting, worth it.

Playing Hysteria Project on PS3 (mini), not impressed. The image is blurry (probably due to the fact that it's not on a tiny screen like a handheld), but more importantly it's just...stupid...

Haven't tried Dark Void Zero yet, but i'm waiting for a sale.

Never played the other two.[/QUOTE]

Canabalt is worth $2.99? Seriously, runn then jump, then jump then jump then jump... i see maybe $0.99 It may be worth $2.99 but i dont see it. Get Chop Chop Runner .. its FREE http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chop-chop-runner/id362345760?mt=8

Also, if you havent played Tilt to Live. I highly recommend this one. Excellent game and with the recent update, its even better.

[quote name='107proof']If I find more than one at the same time I will post them in the same post. If I find one deal and 10 minutes later find another deal. I will post separately.[/QUOTE]

How did you find crush the castle (free 3 hours ago) before fruitfall (free 18 hours ago)?

Looks like your game is a little off.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Does it really matter brah? He's doing, basically, everyone a favor by posting them as soon as possible. Saves me a ton of time searching...[/QUOTE]
http://appshopper.com/iphone/all/games/prices/free/
I just saved you 2 tons of time.

[quote name='the_punisher']Canabalt is very addicting, worth it.
[/QUOTE]
Don't buy canabalt, play this instead(free similar) http://appshopper.com/games/action-hero

[quote name='anathema728']How did you find crush the castle (free 3 hours ago) before fruitfall (free 18 hours ago)?

Looks like your game is a little off.

http://appshopper.com/iphone/all/games/prices/free/
I just saved you 2 tons of time.

Don't buy canabalt, play this instead(free similar) http://appshopper.com/games/action-hero[/QUOTE]

WHat.. my game is a little off.. What are you talking about? I posted the most recent deal I found first. Whats wrong with that. As I found older deals and verified they were still on sale. I posted them.

If you are so annoyed by my posts and can just go to appshopper and get the deals yourself. why are you hanging out in this forum?

OMG ... the board is self destructing ... ;)

BTW, amidst the chaos, can anyone tell me what's hot about Tilt to Live ... seems to be getting good reviews, but I'm just not understanding how it plays from the images? Seems risky at $1.99 .. anyone care to vouch for it in detail?

Canabalt
Hook Champ
Tilt to Live
Hysteria Project
Dark Void Zero[/QUOTE]
I'd hold off on Hysteria Project. I picked it up when it was free back in February. It's pretty unimpressive (and I'm easily amused). Basically, you watch a short video clip then select one of two choices. That's it. Repeat. Ad infinitum. Even if it doesn't go freebie again, I'd at least wait until it drops back down to .99; don't waste your $2 even if you have money to burn.

Tilt to live is pretty much a geometry wars style avoid-the-mass-of-enemies game. Instead of having a fire button/stick, 3 items orbs are scattered on the playing field. These items do stuff like kill all enemies in a small radius, give you a protective shield that explodes on contact with an enemy, fire a few homing missiles, etc. Points are awarded for killing enemies, and combos are formed by killing successive enemies within seconds of each other.
The tilt controls work quite well, and it's pretty addictive.

[quote name='107proof']why are you hanging out in this forum?[/QUOTE]
To save other people money.

And to save other people coughfirethiefcough from being audited.

[quote name='etcrane']OMG ... the board is self destructing ... ;)

BTW, amidst the chaos, can anyone tell me what's hot about Tilt to Live ... seems to be getting good reviews, but I'm just not understanding how it plays from the images? Seems risky at $1.99 .. anyone care to vouch for it in detail?[/QUOTE]

Yes, board is ridiculous. Try to post a deal about a game and get attitude over it. I don't have to post these deals. I could just download them and not post them for others to enjoy. I figured I would share with the group, but you get ungrateful people with attitudes that just want to bitch and complain about something and it ruins it for everyone else. Ridiculous!!

As for Tilt to Live....

It is fairly simple in design. Your the cursor looking item in the pictures and your object is to avoid the red dots that are hunting you down. You can pick up different weapons to combat against the red dots. It goes from easy to hard fairly quick. Trying to stay alive and avoid the dots is the object. Stay alive as long as you can. unlock achievements and more weapons as you get further into the game.

A recent update added 2 more play modes, Code red, the game starts out hard and you are just bombarded with little red dots out to kill you. And Gauntlet Mode. THis mode is more of an obstacle course to weave your cursor in and out of trying to see how far you can make it and survive..

Overall, its a great value, and the replay factor is incredible. It's a good game and I recommend it to everyone!

[quote name='anathema728']To save other people money.

And to save other people coughfirethiefcough from being audited.[/QUOTE]

Your saving other people money? How is that... I haven't saved any money with any of your posts. They contain more attitude then deals. Look at your post history and you will see.

[quote name='107proof']above[/QUOTE]
e.g. tilt to live and solomon's keep, I said both were going to get major updates and price increases in the near future.

edit: lol, I'm pretty sure I posted about solomon's keep.. just used the search function and... nothing

Solomon's keep is about to go "2.0" (um so far, a better menu, side quests/challenges) and have a price increase. It stands at $1 atm.
mehh here's the list
o Improved stat page
o Map now displays what floor you're on
o Onscreen experience progress bar
o Magic Door can no longer emerge in "bad" locations
o "Daylight Mode" has been added to decrease the intensity of the shadows in-game, for playing in bright conditions.
o Boss Key can no longer get stuck between a chest and a wall
o Stun skill now prevents archers, mages and demons from using ranged attacks
o Thumbsticks have been redesigned to eliminate the temptation to drag them
o After winning the game, you can continue to play at increased difficulty: Wizard difficulty, Archmage difficulty
o Reduced sound crackling
o The keep is now 13 floors high
o A new boss monster has been added
o Acid Cloud now does more damage
o Lightning damage has been tweaked (stronger on lower levels)
o New magic item type: Resist poison
o New Primary Skill: Weld Magic combines two primary attacks (available after level 10)
o Player can select first skill when leaving town, instead of at first level-up
o New passive skill: Creativity gives more skill options on level up
o Bone Daddy can no longer be defeated by cheating
o After level 20, you may equip a third secondary skill
o New secondary skill: Magic Circle
o New High Level skills: Fast Cast, Siege Mage, available at level 25
o New items have been added for playing in Wizard and Archmage difficulties
o Game title has been shortened to "SK" on the iPhone menu
o Game now pauses when the sleep button is pressed
o Glitch that made it impossible to reach a boss monster is fixed
o Glitch that caused "endless dungeons of skeletons" is fixed.
o Facebook connectivity.
o A University Annalist has been added to the town. You can accept challenges from him.
o Pressing any "?" icon will now open an in-game control panel
o You can quit to the main menu from gameplay now
o A 'Feats' screen has been added to track your challenges and accomplishments.
o ...and a few other surprises!

[quote name='107proof']

As for Tilt to Live....

It is fairly simple in design. Your the cursor looking item in the pictures and your object is to avoid the red dots that are hunting you down. You can pick up different weapons to combat against the red dots. It goes from easy to hard fairly quick. Trying to stay alive and avoid the dots is the object. Stay alive as long as you can. unlock achievements and more weapons as you get further into the game.

A recent update added 2 more play modes, Code red, the game starts out hard and you are just bombarded with little red dots out to kill you. And Gauntlet Mode. THis mode is more of an obstacle course to weave your cursor in and out of trying to see how far you can make it and survive..

Overall, its a great value, and the replay factor is incredible. It's a good game and I recommend it to everyone![/QUOTE]
With all the TTL talk lately, I decided to fire it up again. Man, that feels good blastin' a bunch of red dots. There's something really satisfying about getting a whole group of the little bastages to follow you. . .straight to their doom. Plus, I really like the Pulp Fiction-y jazzbo soundtrack. Good game indeed.

[quote name='anathema728']e.g. tilt to live and solomon's keep, I said both were going to get major updates and price increases in the near future.[/QUOTE]

Tilt to Live has been $1.99 since March 28th. Solomons Keep is still at 99 and has been since its release.

So not sure what point you were making, not worth arguing over. Just would like less attitude out of everyone and more friendly posts.

Why get attitude over people posting deals, and telling people to go to appshopper and check themselves. Just plain rude. If you dont like reading posts about deals, regardless if they are 10 minutes old or 10 hours old, dont read them. just skip over them and move on. No need for attitude, it doesn't help anyone.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']I'm mad at Solomon's Keep. I don't like that one.[/QUOTE]

It looks decent, I haven't tried it yet, but looks like all the rest of those dual stick games.

What don't you like about it? What do you like about it? It has pretty good reviews. But again, looks similar to so many other dual stick shooter games.

Just dropping a post to say I appreciate the deals in this thread, and not having to wade through PoS apps in appshopper thus saving me time...
To add some substance, I recommend Motocross Challenge ($2.99) just got an update that allows web multiplayer racing, good fun.

[quote name='107proof']Tilt to Live has been $1.99 since March 28th. Solomons Keep is still at 99 and has been since its release.

So not sure what point you were making, not worth arguing over. Just would like less attitude out of everyone and more friendly posts.

Why get attitude over people posting deals, and telling people to go to appshopper and check themselves. Just plain rude. If you dont like reading posts about deals, regardless if they are 10 minutes old or 10 hours old, dont read them. just skip over them and move on. No need for attitude, it doesn't help anyone. [/QUOTE]
You see, this is where I save people money.

I said tilt to live was going to get an update in april, I posted an embed youtube video showcasing the extra mode(s). I also hinted at a price increase. edit: here's my post
As for solomon's keep, read the description, either believe it, or don't. It's a great game, it'll definitely go up in price just like sword and poker 1 (was $1).

@firethief: yes, solomon's keep is a toughy, I hope you didn't run into any minor glitches

The only games I've sat down and lost a couple hours to instead of a few minutes have been (and my personal quality ranking 1-10, sucks to awesome):
- Civilization Revolution (7)
- Plants vs. Zombies (10)
- Space Miner (9)
- Sword & Poker (8)
- Words With Friends (7)
- Defender Chronicles (7) ... although I can't see ever coming back to this one

Games I pull out and play for a few minutes every few days:
- 2 Across (6)
- Bookworm (8)
- Flight Control (9)
- Chromixa (8)
- Blue Block (6) ... mindless but great for the super-quick-nothing-else-to-do moment
- Crosslogic Ultimate (7)

Popular games that I don't get/like, personally:
- Doodle Jump (or practically any of the "just a little higher" type games that followed it, Birdstrike, Flaboo, etc) (4)
- Peggle (5)
- Hi How Are You (2)
- Aqua Forest (1)
- Field Runners (4)
- Battle Bears (3)
- ZombieVille (4)

[quote name='Smaxor']above[/QUOTE]
That sounds like my game preferences, minus word games/flightcontrol and peggle (peggle definitely benefits from being on a bigger screen, play the pc version).

iDrum Rza of Wu Tang edition is on sale for $1, down from $5. The icon is a big Wu Tang W, which alone is worth a buck to a fan. The app is surprisingly deep.

Beatmaker is still the undisputed champ, however.

[quote name='anathema728']How does this compare to the Nintendo DS's Korg DS-10//DS-10+?[/QUOTE]

Beatmaker is a very different beast. Very powerful and possibly underpriced even at its original price of $20. Beatmaker is very much like a hardware drum sampler, like a combination of a Mpc1000 and a SP404. It doesn't generate sounds, but plays samples than the user can manipulate, though the devs have implemented a clipboard system that allows synth sounds to be imported from other apps. They have a list of compatible apps on the site. I recommend Argon.

Something more comparable to DS-10 is the newly released Rebirth, which is a steal at $7. The interface looks a little crammed, because it's a straight port, but it's still a 1.0 and I'm sure they'll tweak it a bit after they get some solid feedback.

[quote name='DtotheP']Beatmaker is a very different beast. Very powerful and possibly underpriced even at its original price of $20. Beatmaker is very much like a hardware drum sampler, like a combination of a Mpc1000 and a SP404. It doesn't generate sounds, but plays samples than the user can manipulate, though the devs have implemented a clipboard system that allows synth sounds to be imported from other apps. They have a list of compatible apps on the site. I recommend Argon.

Something more comparable to DS-10 is the newly released Rebirth, which is a steal at $7. The interface looks a little crammed, because it's a straight port, but it's still a 1.0 and I'm sure they'll tweak it a bit after they get some solid feedback.[/QUOTE]

Why why why ..... say the word beast !!! :bomb::bomb::bomb:

bread's done
Back