iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone vouch for baseball superstars? The 2009 and 2010 versions are both well reviewed, but 2009 one is 2 bucks cheaper. Is there any big difference between the two?

@link, you should also look into flick baseball, it's very Arcady and doesn't have MLB players, but has gotten good revews(I haven't played it).

Doodle jump and bird strike fans should check out ninjatown tree if doom and mega jump. They both only have endless modes, but are very polished and at the top of the genre.

edit: there is now a free version of flick baseball out called chevy baseball. As the name implies its loaded with in game chevy product placement, including team names...but its a fairly substantial offering. You can play a full game but its missing season mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
Free app sites updates. Let the flaming begin:

Free App a Day has Sudoku 2 (http://www.freeappaday.com/app.php?day=07&month=05). " Welcome to Sudoku 2 - the next generation version of Sudoku

Sudoku 2 is Sudoku + Point System, Runs, and Online Leaderboards! Discover the next evolution of Sudoku with amazing graphics, animations, and ease of use. Sudoku 2 is a Sudoku like one you have never experienced before ;) "

Great App a Day has Eliminate Turbo (http://www.greatappaday.com/details/eliminate-turbo/) "10 FREE Power Cells included for new and existing Eliminate Players.

NEW - ENHANCED GLOBAL MATCHMAKING
Quickly connect with other players automatically in Global matches based your rank and skill rating.

Bring it — anytime, anywhere — in the first online FPS that fits in your pocket."

Free App Calenar has Bumper Stars (http://www.freeappcalendar.com/details.php?id=160)

And be sure to pick up OpenFeint's Sentinel 2: Earth Defense (previously referenced) if you have any interest whatsoever in tower defense games.

For anyone who feels the need to throw their teddy in the corner and cry about it, please feel free to make better quality posts of your own, preferably containing deals, as the forum title implies. Nothing wrong with discussing a deal, but the mud slinging is unnecessary and counterproductive.

Dimsdale, 107proof, thanks for all the quality posts, this thread keeps me checking CAG every day, even when my gaming budget is practically nonexistent.

[quote name='GamerChris']I for one appreciate the posts by Dimsdale and 107proof. Keep up the good work guys![/QUOTE]

Agreed 100%. Although I have to be careful with how I sync my phone with all the great free stuff I've downloaded. Not a bad problem to have though!

Fly Kiwi, Fly! is great. Thanks for posting that.

If you like it, also try
A Doodle Fly - Fly to the Moon ($1.99)

Anyone know any other games like these? I really like them.

[quote name='BillyDKid']Fly Kiwi, Fly! is great. Thanks for posting that.

If you like it, also try
A Doodle Fly - Fly to the Moon ($1.99)

Anyone know any other games like these? I really like them.[/QUOTE]

I think fly kiwi is the best, but pig air is another popular one for .99.

[quote name='cusoman']Can we stop the bitching and get back to posting deals? OH HERE'S ONE NOW!

SHUMP StarCannon is free today only:

http://appshopper.com/games/starcannon

One can never have enough SHUMPs :)[/QUOTE]

Nice link. game looks like fun, will download once I get home.

Also, I just did a numbers crunch on all the apps (99% being games) that I have bought since I got my iPod Touch, and ended up at $108 overall. More than I expected (70% of all that was when I got it on day one and decided to buy a number of high profile and expensive games I have wanted for years, so I expect about half of that total on day one anyway), but its still less than two full MSRP games and I have enjoyed most of em greatly. Now to find time to play em all full. But still, most posts here have helped tremendously to save me lots on the free games you all post. Thanks.:applause:

Hand of Greed - dodge the blade!

Hand of Greed is an intense and remarkably unique adventure game that puts your reflexes, timing, and speed to the test in a magical, blade strewn gauntlet. Avoiding everything from swinging guillotines to spiraling sawblades, you rack up wealth by grabbing ancient gold coins, valuable gems, healing rubies, and more!

$.99

[quote name='linkbear']Can anyone vouch for baseball superstars? The 2009 and 2010 versions are both well reviewed, but 2009 one is 2 bucks cheaper. Is there any big difference between the two?[/QUOTE]

I can't comment on whether the 2010 update is worth the extra cash as I never played BS2009, so I'll focus on BS2010.

Personally speaking, I find BS2010 to be one of the best Iphone games I've played, easily up there with S&P, Spider and PvZ. I've put in a lot of time with this game, I've actually played it longer than S&P, so the cost -> playtime is definitely in your favor as there's just a lot of things you can do, from playing a full season to developing individual characters to homerun races and some challenges. One thing I have to say though is that it's arcade-y and less realistic than some other Baseball sims, so that may be a turn-off for some. While it has enough RPG elements to keep it fresh, the constant repetition of playing game after game may wear on people (c'mon, this is a baseball game, it's going to always be the same batter to pitcher gameplay.) There are lite versions for both, so I highly suggest you give them a try before purchasing.

[quote name='caltab']Gameloft will be giving away 10 free games starting may 10th to celebrate their 10th birthday, 1 free game a day for 2 hours a day, titles not announced.

http://blog.gameloft.com/index.php/...ne-happy-hour-for-gamelofts-10th-anniversary/[/QUOTE]
Pretty sweet. Thanks for the heads up! Of course, it did force me to violate my strict policy of no-social-networking-participation. Oh well, I'll cancel my Twitter account as soon as the promotion is over.

[quote name='GamerChris']I for one appreciate the posts by Dimsdale and 107proof. Keep up the good work guys![/QUOTE]
Agreed, keep it up fellas. Without the posts I would miss a lot of freebies. Can't believe Fire-Thief actually has the nerve to complain about quality posts after not contributing a thing to the thread other than the praising shitty apps he buys.

Nobody has mentioned that EDGE by Mobigame is back? This was one of the biggest early hits on the app store and it's been unavailable in the US for the better part of a year, I think. Now that Tim Langdell has been told to fuck himself, it's back and on sale for 99 cents! (At least it was when I bought it an hour or so ago, but not showing the drop on appshopper)

http://appshopper.com/games/edge

Alive 4-ever Returns got it's first update today.

Update includes 4 player co-op over bluetooth
Bug fixes for Openfeint achievements
A new icon

The price still stands at $1.99, but Meridian said the price would go up to $4.99 with the release of this update, so buy quickly if you're considering it.

[quote name='modium']Nobody has mentioned that EDGE by Mobigame is back? This was one of the biggest early hits on the app store and it's been unavailable in the US for the better part of a year, I think. Now that Tim Langdell has been told to fuck himself, it's back and on sale for 99 cents! (At least it was when I bought it an hour or so ago, but not showing the drop on appshopper)

http://appshopper.com/games/edge[/QUOTE]

Personally, I hated EDGE. It's just a gimmick with cool aesthetics but the horrible level design and finicky controls killed it for me.

[quote name='modium']Nobody has mentioned that EDGE by Mobigame is back? This was one of the biggest early hits on the app store and it's been unavailable in the US for the better part of a year, I think. Now that Tim Langdell has been told to fuck himself, it's back and on sale for 99 cents! (At least it was when I bought it an hour or so ago, but not showing the drop on appshopper)

http://appshopper.com/games/edge[/QUOTE]
I bought this game about a year ago when it was briefly back in the store. It's a great game once you get used to the controls. Definitely worth $1.

Two tips that made me enjoy it a lot more was learning that 1) you can rotate the view to landscape with a two-finger spin and 2) double tapping the cube switches to full-screen controls rather than a d-pad.

I had to laugh when there was that article on either Kotaku or Joystiq a few months ago if not longer, where the author claimed EDGE was one of the greatest games if not the greatest game on the iphone and that it was such a tragedy that it was taken off the Apps store, but luckily he had secured his precious copy and could verbally fap on about it for the length of the article.

Simply because of how ignorant that article was, plus underwhelming screen shots, I will be passing on EDGE but I found it amusing yet ridiculous to read about, nonetheless.

[quote name='mrmagoo1974']Tetris and scrabble are both normally 4.99 both of them are on sale right now for 2.99. Enjoy![/QUOTE]

I believe EA is having a "Mother's Day" sale. They also have Sims3 and C&C Red Alert mobile versions on sale, among others.

http://www.eamobile.com/yourmomma/

Is anyone else having issues with calibration on Fly Kiwi, Fly? I have to rotate the Touch almost 90 degrees just to get him to fly straight. If I leave it level, he points either straight up or down.

Sucks that Gameloft is doing their event on a Monday. I'll probably end missing all the good stuff cause I'll be at work.

MonstaPuzz match game (free)
http://appshopper.com/games/monstapuzz
MonstaPuzz
Ranked in Top Games and Puzzle Games in 20 countries. Great Reviews.

* VERY ADDICTIVE GAME PLAY*

Check your reflexes and your brain power with this game. Plenty of hours of gameplay.

Features :
* Monsta mode (Easy, Medium, Hard) and Classic mode of play
* OpenFeint enabled
* Worldwide and personal high scores
* High score compare with friends
* Above 40 different achievements to unlock
* Online chat and social networking
* Facebook and twitter enabled
* Addictive game play
* Sound effects
* Nice, intuitive and easy to use user interface
* Cute graphics
* Responsive and fast
* Visual Help
* More than 12000 online players to compete with

Basic Gameplay :
The basic goal of the game is to clear the board of tiles as fast as possible. You do so by eliminating matching pairs of tiles. The tiles may be next to each other or can be connected by a line that is not interrupted by other tiles and may not bend more than two times.

Monsta Mode :
In this mode the play field is first empty and the monsta tiles keep popping up with a speed and count based on the easy, medium or hard selection. The aim is to keep the play field not getting complete and eliminating as many monstas as possible. The game is over when the play field if full.

Classic Basic Mode :
In this mode the play field is already filled with monsta tiles and you must clear the play field in the fastest time possible to complete the game and get the achievements.

minesweeper clone (free)
http://appshopper.com/games/master-minesweeper

reversi clone (free)
http://appshopper.com/games/reversi-twist

solitaire clone (free)
http://appshopper.com/games/ultimate-solitaire

copy paste so ez

I know people already mentioned this before but +1 for ReBounce. I feel so bad ass when I stop time with my fingers and f-ing decimate a column of those thingies.

[quote name='caltab']Gameloft will be giving away 10 free games starting may 10th to celebrate their 10th birthday, 1 free game a day for 2 hours a day, titles not announced.

http://blog.gameloft.com/index.php/...ne-happy-hour-for-gamelofts-10th-anniversary/[/QUOTE]

Gonna be working and dont have access to a PC/wifi at work :(

edit: can I use friend's iphone, log into my own account and DL the game? Not super important but a free game is a free game. lol

[quote name='darknight88']can I use friend's iphone, log into my own account and DL the game? Not super important but a free game is a free game. lol[/QUOTE]

No. You can't change login ID unless you connect to a computer.

And rebounce isn't worth $2. But then again, there's a demo version.

[quote name='mis0']I know people already mentioned this before but +1 for ReBounce. I feel so bad ass when I stop time with my fingers and f-ing decimate a column of those thingies.[/QUOTE]

yeah..its a great game..my only issue is that even though it has like 40+ levels it goes by WAAAAAAY too fast...

[quote name='cycophuk']Is anyone else having issues with calibration on Fly Kiwi, Fly? I have to rotate the Touch almost 90 degrees just to get him to fly straight. If I leave it level, he points either straight up or down.

Sucks that Gameloft is doing their event on a Monday. I'll probably end missing all the good stuff cause I'll be at work.[/QUOTE]

In settings there is a calibration button and you can also change the sensitivity.

[quote name='cycophuk']Is anyone else having issues with calibration on Fly Kiwi, Fly? I have to rotate the Touch almost 90 degrees just to get him to fly straight. If I leave it level, he points either straight up or down.

[/QUOTE]

I was confused at first too. I believe the default control mode is vertical (tilt top forward to go up, tip bottom downward to go down). I was trying to rotate my iphone clockwise/counterwise...

Bought that alive-4 ever zombie game. I hope i like it.

Thinking about getting Red Alert from EA so i got the lite version/demo first to try it out. really wish street fighter would go back to 7. ive been kicking my own butt for not getting it when it was on sale :whistle2:(

h++p://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tessellate-board-version-rubiks/id364895275?mt=8

Tessellate is on sale for a few days at $0.99. I am the developer of the app, and I think it's a really challenging and very unique puzzle game. I'm confident you've never done anything like it, and each level makes you think of new tricks to reorganize the pieces. Check it out!

Eh, even after my rant against EDGE, for .99 I figured it couldn't hurt. It still bothers me though when I read most articles on the "best games for iPhone" and they tend to neglect half the great titles we find in this forum, while listing obviously inferior or so-so games as the "best of the best."

At the time that Kotaku was praising EDGE, I believe Angry Birds, Sword & Poker and several other great games were also out and there was absolutely no mention of them on their "Best of" list. Just shows how little some of the major video game sites know in regards to the iPhone.

BTW, here's the article I keep referencing ... one of a few from various sites that seem to neglect 'better' games - http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/01/the-best-iphone-games-of-2009/

bread's done
Back