iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
Bailout wars isn't really a very good game at all. But it is free so give it a spin if Castle Defense games are your thing.

I forgot Gameloft had so many mediocre games.

[quote name='Decker']Here's the twitter link:
gameloft

Bailout Wars is #FREE for 2 hours http://j.mp/9bUDpo Follow @Gameloft to know when next free game is #iPhone #HappyHour[/QUOTE]

My 5 minutes with it review. it's basically a tap defense game. good art assets, interesting gameplay that gets more challenging, upgrades. Definitely worth checking out if you like tap defense type games.

Now I know I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, but am I the only one who feels that Gameloft's strategy with these free games is "We're giving you all our greatest games ... that no one was willing to pay anything for."

Don't get me wrong, that Magic Castle game is actually pretty sweet and today's isn't awful but this is definitely not their AAA stuff nor is it even their mid-tier stuff.

Another scrolling shmup has gone FREE for the moment: HotField (http://itunes.apple.com/app/hotfield-bullets-time-shooting/id307102133?mt=8).

"HotField is a 2D/3D vertical scroller shooter game, splendid graphics effect with amazing and addictive gameplay!

The game utilize multi touch feature, you can play the game use your fingers or virtual keypad.

Double tap the screen(or Pressing the virtual A key) allows your ship to enter "Bullet Time" state.( Enemies and their bullets will slow down )

Double touch the screen(or Pressing the virtual C key) allows your ship to fire laser. the longer you hold, the stronger the laser will get.

Closing the enemy's bullets will gain your laser and enhace your fire, that's interesting and addictive.

4 difficulty modes and an extra boss mode supported. no matter you are a first-time player or a sophisticated expert, you will have lot fun!"

The puzzler Dropozoid is also currently FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/dropozoid/id361692186?mt=8).

"A fascinating puzzle, simple and exciting at the same time. The main goal is to clear the field from blobs. The fewer moves a player makes the better. The best players from all over the world are listed according to their scores on www.dropozoid.com. If you like games like Doodle Jump, Unblock Me, Simon: Classic,
Bejeweled, Line Up, you will love Dropozoid"

wow, excellent game that HotField. Better than the last 50 some games I got free, and better than most apps I paid for.

I like it better than all the gameloft games I was able to get for free, put together

The best free app I have gotten recently is Tap Tap 3 Boost. What is nice is they give credits for downloading other free apps (or more credit for the ones they advertise to purchase) that you can use to buy song packs. So far I have merged some other Tap Tap content I had already bought and used credits to get 6 more songs I wanted. You can delete the apps you had to download for credit as soon as you get them. Most artists have a custom theme/backgorund as well. So if you like Tap type games you should check it out. Except for the 3 bundled songs you can delete any of the crap songs you dont want or just choose not download when they offer it.

ive played it before, but unless you want to spend money for track packs, the game seems somewhat limited and I can see the appeal of the game dwindling a few weeks after you get it.

The credits you get allow you to get the track packs for free. Groups like Metallica, NIN, Coldplay, Nirvana, etc. have their seperate Tap games that can now be merged with TT3 so you can have all your Taps in the same place. I do agree that it is somewhat limited but they seem to be adding content pretty often and the actual taps are better quality tha Tap Studio Pro which are created by users (without being able to edit).

The brick breaker variant Seraphim's Sceptor is on sale for .99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/seraphims-scepter/id343210010?mt=8#). I don't know if it's as good as Jet Ball but here's the description:

"Free the magical Seraphims in this revolutionary brick breaker! 33 levels of enchanting graphics and visual effects are included in this breathtaking game. Seraphim Scepter will change how you feel about brick breakers. It is visually stunning and has addictive gameplay.

Once upon a time, Seraphims or good fairies could be found everywhere. They made life better in so many ways. Peoples’ lives were more colorful, the birds sang more beautifully, and even food tasted better. Unfortunately, with time people forgot about Seraphims. As time passed their names were forgotten, they started to fade and then they became frozen in stones.

Find and rescue the beautiful Seraphims from their eternal captivity! Take a magical journey to find the Dream, Fire and Ice Seraphims’ hiding spots in order to set them free! Use the magical Seraphim’s Scepter and the Energy Ball to demolish the walls around them. It is up to you to free the Seraphims and make life good again!"

There's also a free lite version if you want to try before you buy.

Transformers: G1 Awakening is also on sale for .99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/transformers-g1-awakening/id339831441?mt=8).

"ON SALE FOR A LIMITED TIME! EDITOR’S CHOICE AWARD (8.5/10) - IGN
“Transformers G1: Awakening is quite simply the best Transformers game I have ever played.”Roll out with the TRANSFORMERS and battle the DECEPTICONS in the classic 1st Generation TV series universe!

After 4 million years, a volcanic eruption awakens the TRANSFORMERS. Use the strengths of each AUTOBOT to defeat the DECEPTICONS in turn-based strategic battles. You must capture sources of Energon power to reactivate, repair or upgrade your TRANSFORMERS. Get ready for epic moments. This is more than meets the eye!"

[quote name='Lan_Zer0']Looks like Super KO Boxing 2 is also free

http://appshopper.com/games/super-ko-boxing-2-free

EDIT: I'm not sure how the FREE->FULL thing works though, and what it means if I need to redownload the game or update.[/QUOTE]

That link nets you an error message saying "the item you've requested is not currently available in the US store". If you search Super KO Boxing 2, the game shows up as 99 cents.

[quote name='Decker']That link nets you an error message saying "the item you've requested is not currently available in the US store". If you search Super KO Boxing 2, the game shows up as 99 cents.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for checking, I only read the AppShopper description. Though, Beat It is still set up in the same way, where the FREE version now contains the full game, and the normal version still costs 2.99.

Yeah, that Super KO Boxing app says it was last changed in December. I think they must have pulled it back during Christmas time

Also, looks like the free Beat It is ad-supported

[quote name='Malik112099']Anyone try Mega Jump yet?

http://appshopper.com/games/mega-jump

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYM7lwDOCP4[/QUOTE]

reminds me ALOT of bird strike except alot more forgiving and longer lasting. I ll definitely check it out.

Also for those that even remotely like RTS type games and/or a big fan of transformers I definitely suggest picking up Transformers G1 Awakening. Its easily worth a buck and is really enjoyable. Reminds me alot of advance wars on the GBA but with Generation 1 Transformers.

[quote name='Billy Jean']reminds me ALOT of bird strike except alot more forgiving and longer lasting. I ll definitely check it out.

Also for those that even remotely like RTS type games and/or a big fan of transformers I definitely suggest picking up Transformers G1 Awakening. Its easily worth a buck and is really enjoyable. Reminds me alot of advance wars on the GBA but with Generation 1 Transformers.[/QUOTE]

I agree on both counts. The first definitely appears to be a lot more rewarding than punishing than Bird Strike, but at the same time retains that Doodle Jump aspect--keep going, or you fail. Bird Strike at least offers you the chance to fall and make up for it.

As for Awakening, definitely worth picking up for a buck. It doesn't offer more than basic strategy (nothing too heavy--heal, surround, save up energon to call in additional troops), and is great for old-school TF fans like myself. I mean, it's got the real transformation noise. That, plus accurate models of the cast make it worth that alone.

I have mega jump and like it. The comparisons to bird strike are reasonable, but I think bird strike is far superior because it's got a lot more content. Mega jumbo only has an endless mode. It's got 2 goals, to get as high as possible and get as many coins as possible and there are power ups. If you like bird strike it's a safe bet you will like this, but it's not as substantial a game. Ninja town tree of doom actually came out the same day as mega jump and also only has an endless mode but I would definitely say it's got the edge over mega jump. Bird strike is still king of the genre IMO though.

[quote name='Dimsdale']The music game Beat It! is another Friday freebie (http://itunes.apple.com/app/beat-it-free/id337206261?mt=8).

"FOR A LIMITED TIME GET THE FULL GAME COMPLETELY FREE!

***BEST MUSIC GAME 2009 - IGN***

Part beat machine, part rhythm (re)creation, totally addictive fun!
NEW UPDATE lets you share your freestyle beats with Facebook friends. Listen, rate and even play user-created music as in-game levels!"[/QUOTE]

I paid for this one a while back. Definitely worth downloading, especially if you're into rhythm games. It has some really nice pixel art graphics too.

[quote name='Gizoku']I paid for this one a while back. Definitely worth downloading, especially if you're into rhythm games. It has some really nice pixel art graphics too.[/QUOTE]

It's not showing up as free.

[quote name='linkbear']It's not showing up as free.[/QUOTE]

You know what, never mind. I got it. They did it weird: there's still a 2.99 one showing up in addition to the free full game.

[quote name='linkbear']You know what, never mind. I got it. They did it weird: there's still a 2.99 one showing up in addition to the free full game.[/QUOTE]

Like Thrakker mentioned a bit back, the full free game is ad supported. You have to pony up the three bucks to get the version without ads.

I might consider it, since I hate having ads in games. So I guess one of their money making strategies is working on me. :/

The whole GW series (currently six individual titles) is now available under one icon. . .and for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/gw-series/id322560334?mt=8). If you're a fan, this makes it easy to keep 'em all within reach.

"THE COLLECTION:
Own all six of Mobile 1UP's retro-updated game and watch implementations; all accessible through a single launcher icon (and a savings of almost 60%).

- GW Lab
- GW Monkey
- GW Escape
- GW JetPack
- GW Monster
- GW Retreat

All of the above games are available as separate downloads within the App Store. This is not a new game, rather a bundle of existing games."

Another FREE shooter: Denizen (http://itunes.apple.com/app/denizen/id357416676?mt=8).

"Denizen in collaboration with FreeAppADay.com will be FREE today and today only!

Guide Xio on his journey through the wonders of the Domain. This special world has been taken over by rogue software with the sole intention of corrupting and destroying. Stop them from propagating any longer and free the Domain! As Xio, you are the only one with the power to do so...

Key features:

Take control - Denizen showcases unique multi touch controls that provide fluid and rich gameplay. Use the virtual analog stick to control Xio's movement. Tap on enemies to attack them, or swipe through multiple enemies to unleash your combo attack, get combos for higher scores, and get out of tight spots.

Survive - Blast your way through 15 intense, dynamic and vibrant levels. Defend yourself against waves of over 20 types of attacking enemies, all with their own abilities, and 15 end of level bosses. Become immersed in Denizens stylish and fresh 3D environments, vivid sound effects and its exceptional licensed soundtrack. You can also listen to your own music library while playing.

Collect - Gather the nodes that are scattered throughout the game 15 levels to earn additional points. Go through the gates in order to replenish your lost energy and become invincible to attacks.

Experience - Earn badges by completing challenges within the game. Collect them all to truly master the game. Earn high scores and upload them to the Denizen global leader boards.

Showcases - Multi touch controls and online connectivity with leader boards."

Some free puzzlers:

iWater Flow (http://appshopper.com/games/iwater-flow).
"iWaterFlow FREE for 24H, in partnership with AppGratuites.com - A new free app per day!

Let iWaterFlow bring out the child in you!

Use the jets of water and tilt the game to place the rings on the spikes.

Test your dexterity with this reproduction of the water toys you played with as a child.
The controls are the same and you will soon be reaching your top scores again.
And watch out for those ink stains!

Beat the best scores or take your time and relax.
Three game modes are available to give you a regular, new experience.

The level of difficulty increases gradually, providing you with a real challenge.
Will you be able to take up the challenge of the final level?

Key features:
- Your iPhone/iPod becomes a toy.
- Life-like water simulation.
- 4 different games, both in terms of visual appearance and game play.
- 3 game modes (Classic, Rush, Time attack).
- Toy and water sounds faithfully reproduced.
- Show the whole world what you've achieved and improve your Gamerscore online with Open Feint."

Blubble (http://appshopper.com/games/blubble).
"Blubble is a new and innovative puzzle game created from a concept hatched over ten years ago.

Take control of your bounding blue blob and hop over spiky Murtles, bounce off of mushrooms, fly over dragon's eggs and teleport your way to the goal across water, ice, fire, and more!

* Smooth 3D graphics
* 60 mind bending puzzles
* 5 colorful themes
* Win trophies for finding the best solution!"

Pebble Jump (http://appshopper.com/games/pebble-jump).
"A unique puzzle game inspired by 'Checkers' & 'Peg Solitaire'.

The objective of Pebble Jump is to clear the board by jumping over pieces in the style of 'Checkers'. The challenge is to land the last jump on the indicated 'home' space.

KeyFeatures:
• Over 100 puzzle layouts
• Easy, Medium and Hard difficulties
• Hint System assists when puzzles seem impossible
• Undo & Reset buttons included for convenience
• Listen to music while you play.
• Change the look from 5 game skins.

With ideal pick-up and drop gameplay, Pebble Jump is unique, simple, addictive & a highly challenging puzzle game."

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kurrptsenate']that pebble jump isn't free for me

grabbed the others. thanks[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I almost took it off that post. It's taking a long time being modified. It should still go free at some point tonight.

EDIT: Or maybe not. The price has reverted now to .99 when I do a search. Maybe they changed their minds.

In addition to Denizen (see link above), Free App a Day is also featuring a non-game app called Mouthoff (http://www.freeappaday.com/app.php?day=15&month=05).

"MouthOff™ is the original mouth mastercraft from the notorious ustwo™ AKA &39;the studio of dreams&39;. 49 sound reactive cartoon mouths, 12 Top illustrators, hundreds of user videos, millions of YouTube hits, 1 amazingly crafted MouthOff™ app.

Hold your iPhone in front of your mouth and talk, shout, laugh, scream or sing to get the mouth of your choice to animate in time with the sounds you make. (please note if using iPod touch then you will need a headphones with a microphone input)

Make a video of yourself and post it to YouTube using the tag showusyourmouthoff and you will automatically appear on the famous http://iphone.ustwo.co.uk/iphone/apps/showusyourmouthoff/ "

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']Do you think there will ever be a promotion to get Peggle for free ??[/QUOTE]

Not a chance.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']Do you think there will ever be a promotion to get Peggle for free ??[/QUOTE]

I managed to pick up Peggle for 99 cents, but that was a very long time ago. Haven't seen the prices on any popcap games change at all since then.

Mega Jump is pretty fun. i like it a little better than Bird Strike mainly due to the power up items.

I've also been getting back into Zombieville USA which has had quite a few updates since I last played it. Pretty fun game.

-TURN THE WORLD dropped to FREE

is an amazing puzzle game with an extraordinary concept of gameplay.
Your aim - to find exit and get to it as soon as possible.
Your main weapon - the ability to turn the world.
There are a lot of obstacles and traps on your way in the form of sharp stakes, doors and walls that can present risk or turn out to be a saving key or exit.

http://appshopper.com/games/turn-the-world

Free sites update for Saturday:

Great App a Day is featuring Go! for its freebie today (http://www.greatappaday.com/details/go/).
"Go! is a beautifully devised, geometrically inspired, set of puzzles designed to engage your brain. It's a new spin on the classic jigsaw puzzle. Go! challenges you to recreate unique patterns using an arsenal of familiar shapes. Can you master all 50 puzzles? You won't know until you play. With games lasting only five minutes, Go! is the perfect diversion when time is tight (or when you just need to kill time). Don't sit around and wait for your brain to atrophy. Exercise it daily with Go!"

Free App Calendar has Traffic Ninja for its offering (http://www.freeappcalendar.com/details.php?id=136).
"Sensei Master says, "Listen young ninja. Now is day to prove yourself to me. Show me clever timing and quick reflexes. Man who jump cars, accomplish anything! Remember, watch out for enemy ninja who slice you into ninja pieces. I don't want to clean you off street. Overcome, young carhopper, and prove you are Traffic Ninja!"

For those looking for more puzzle games, Mazeness has dropped to FREE (http://appshopper.com/games/mazeness).
"Mazeness is splendid double maze puzzle. The game is full of fascinated features like one turn holders, teleports and crashed tiles.

The goal of the game is rather simple - you need to bring all the balls (up to 4 per level!) to their goals at the same time with help of barriers and holders. In spite of seeming simplicity it's not that easy.

The difficulty of 44 levels is growing little by little from level to level."

bread's done
Back