Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mkernan']Netflix is now iPhone and iPod compatible (used to be iPad-only):

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/netflix/id363590051?mt=8[/QUOTE]

For those of you who did the iPad app hack for your jailbroken iPhones. You have to delete the existing Netflix App and restart your phone before it will install.

IMO, it's an alright app, but there is no in-app queue management, unless I've missed it. So if I want to manage my queue I still have to go into Safari and screw around with it. Let me know if I'm wrong. Oh, and this app won't open a show automatically if you try to start it from Safari (like the hacked app did), which I was disappointed about. It takes you to the main Netflix app page...

If I was going to do it over again, I'd probably continue to just leave a Netflix window open in Safari and let the iPad app with the permission changes open when I hit "Play" - I wouldn't update.

Just letting you know...

You can't queue manage on the ps3, 360, or wii, and I am assuming BD players so I dont see the big deal.

Personally, I just want to load the app and play something so its great for me. LOST in traffic? fuck yes

[quote name='Dimsdale']Doodle Dash! is the latest OpenFeint Free Game of the Day offering (http://itunes.apple.com/app/doodle-dash/id382456881?mt=8).

"In Doodle Dash! , you tilt-to-control a cute blue monster named "Dash" through the Doodle Forest to collect as many gems as you can before getting caught by the monsters.

You'll wade past evil flying bunnies, bombs, snakes, and fat cyclops as you collect gems and mystery boxes (which Dash hasn't quite decided if he likes or not).

** Unlock special in-game achievements and compete with your friends (and even the world!) on OpenFeint---Can you get the highest Doodle Dash! score?? Don’t get too cocky though, Doodle Dash! may be easy to learn, but it can be hard to master. Just don’t take our word for it, try unlocking all 16 achievements for yourself!"[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the find! Though I'm curious as to how you found this? On the openfeint app and their website it still has Crazy Test! listed as the free game of the day. :whistle2:k

[quote name='jacknicklson']You can't queue manage on the ps3, 360, or wii, and I am assuming BD players so I dont see the big deal.
[/QUOTE]

They aren't portable devices that are supposed to make your on-the-go life convenient?

I mean, cable/dish companies are doing DVR management from phones, WhyTF can't Netflix do disc management from one. Seems absurd.

Whatever, I guess there's (another) app for that.

just downloaded netflix. on 3g at work (which ive complained about a lot in the iphone thread) it was pretty choppy at first but eventually (a couple minutes) buffered enough that it was seamless. quality looked good. pretty annoying that i cant manage my queue on the netflix app though.

[quote name='microcuts777']They aren't portable devices that are supposed to make your on-the-go life convenient?

I mean, cable/dish companies are doing DVR management from phones, WhyTF can't Netflix do disc management from one. Seems absurd.

Whatever, I guess there's (another) app for that.[/QUOTE]

yeah, silly that the Netflix app can't manage your queue. I guess I still need to use i.TV or the Movies app for that.

Collect stuff and try to stay alive in Fruity Paths (http://itunes.apple.com/app/fruity-paths/id327627512?mt=8), currently FREE.

"Play as Pip, who must fly his spaceship to different levels to collect fruit that is moving along paths. However, enemies are also moving along the paths, and will try to destroy Pip's spaceship!

Playing Fruity Paths is easy and simple: you move Pip by touching anywhere on the screen, he can move freely in any direction and at any speed, the goal is to collect a required amount of fruits before time runs out, also you can collect different items to help Pip defend against the enemies or gain rewards and score bonuses."

SEGA Back to School SALE

http://www.appshopper.com/search/?search=SEGA

- Columns Deluxe - .99
- Sonic the Hedgehog - 2.99
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - 2.99
- Super Monkey Ball - 1.99
- Super Monkey Ball 2 - 2.99
- Super Monkey Ball 2: Sakura Edition for iPad - 3.99
- Golden Axe - .99
- Streets of Rage - .99
- Ecco the Dolphin - .99
- Phantasy Star II - 2.99
- Space Harrier II - .99

[quote name='DtotheP']If you want that, you might as well get an iPhone.[/QUOTE]

I can't afford the excessively high deposit. Like most Americans my credit isn't stellar.

[quote name='JP']Loving the Netflix app.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it is pretty awesome. The quality is great over 3g. I agree with other posters, it sucks that you can't manage your queue but Flixster can handle that fix for you in a pinch.

I picked up Princess Fury, Shining Force, and Alive 4-ever. Does anyone think I should get the second Alive 4ever? I'm enjoying the first but I hear it's basically a clone. Is it worth the extra dollar?

[quote name='ViolentLee']Can't you just log onto netflix.com over Safari and manage your queue there? Not ideal, but still pretty easy.[/QUOTE]

You sure can, but as much as I love spreading my fingers to zoom, it's a pain the the ass to zoom in to log in, go through those motions, which takes you back to a zoomed out view of the home screen, zoom in slightly to go to queue (so you don't accidentally hit something else), zoom in on that page so that you can select a box to type a number, then zoom out to zoom in to save changes.

I don't think I exaggerated that too much, that's pretty much the process if you're managing from Safari.

[quote name='Billy Jean']SEGA Back to School SALE

http://www.appshopper.com/search/?search=SEGA

- Columns Deluxe - .99
- Sonic the Hedgehog - 2.99
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - 2.99
- Super Monkey Ball - 1.99
- Super Monkey Ball 2 - 2.99
- Super Monkey Ball 2: Sakura Edition for iPad - 3.99
- Golden Axe - .99
- Streets of Rage - .99
- Ecco the Dolphin - .99
- Phantasy Star II - 2.99
- Space Harrier II - .99[/QUOTE]

Awesome. If any one has been interested in monkey ball games, I would almost just suggest picking up the second one only. The controls in the first are pretty akward, and they don't change too much in the second one, but it feels a little more comfortable.

Another catch 'n dodge experience awaits you in WildSpace, FREE once again for a limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/wildspace/id343311580?mt=8).

"This is the story about a brave space cowboy who travels through the galaxy up on his rocket. Play your way to be a hero of deep space. While avoiding huge meteorite fragments try to catch as much hamburgers and hotdogs as possible to accumulate high scores. Gathering various bonuses you never know whether it will have helpful or negative effect. There are 10 levels with different complexity degree which suit any entertaining needs.
Game engine is fully 3D and designed in comic sketch style. Crowds of twinkling stars and giant black holes slowly floating by makes you feel to be inside an outer space. And cheerful music with specific instruments such as banjo and harmonica makes you believe in being truly space cowboy."

[quote name='doubledown']Does anyone know how many megs a streaming movie is? just curious as I will be getting an iPhone eventually.[/QUOTE]

According to a Wired article today - a 90-minute movies used about 420 Megs of AT&T limited data. Glad I signed on when the unlimited was still available.

For queue management I've been using PhoneFlicks (formerly PhoneFlix). I'm already used to browsing with it, so the fact that Netflix doesn't have it doesn't matter to me at all (I'm used to that on my 360 as well, which is my main NF viewer). It works great for me, and it's really fast. Try it if you're bored.

[quote name='jamesesdad']Awesome. If any one has been interested in monkey ball games, I would almost just suggest picking up the second one only. The controls in the first are pretty akward, and they don't change too much in the second one, but it feels a little more comfortable.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I was about to ask that exact question. $2.99 sounds like a good price compared to the original release price of $9.99.

[quote name='Dimsdale']Best. Shooter. Ever. At least for now. Seriously, if you're even a casual bullet hell fan you need to download Dodonpachi Resurrection. Especially since it's only $4.99 for the next few days (http://itunes.apple.com/app/dodonpachi-resurrection/id387176580?mt=8).[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty excited this finally came out, as I have been waiting for it for a while. Still, I was really hoping cave would drop the price on espgaluda 2 for the release of dodonpachi. 9 dollars is hard to swallow, knowing I'm getting dodonpachi resurection for 5 bucks... Whats everyone elses opinion, will espgalluda ever go on sale again? Or should I just bite the bullet and pay the 9 dollars for it?

Knight's Rush came out while I wasn't looking?

Ah, it'll drop in price at some point.

Jameses, Espgaluda 2 will drop the very day after you buy it and not a moment sooner.

$9 is still cheap for a Cave game IMO, have you priced the xbox360 version?
I paid full price for Esp 2 and have no regrets, awesome game.

Is this really what Sega has been reduced to? Their ONLY Iphone development has just been shoveling up games they made years ago.

Nostalgia... it's a hell of a drug.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Is this really what Sega has been reduced to? Their ONLY Iphone development has just been shoveling up games they made years ago.

Nostalgia... it's a hell of a drug.[/QUOTE]

Well, from a business standpoint it makes perfect sense: the games are already completed (they just need to be made compatible), and most of the games are from popular, well-established and well-loved franchises. While these rehashes may not be innovative, Sega's logic in releasing them is certainly sound.

[quote name='allyourblood']Well, from a business standpoint it makes perfect sense: the games are already completed (they just need to be made compatible), and most of the games are from popular, well-established and well-loved franchises. While these rehashes may not be innovative, Sega's logic in releasing them is certainly sound.[/QUOTE]

Well, sure they move, but doling up the predictable nostalgia souffles is just dull at this point. Even Square Enix actually tries new development on the platform.

The netflix app is just what I need. I don't really care that the queue manager for DVDs isn't there. I had been using the hack to watch movies but this is definitely better.

[quote name='ViolentLee']Can't you just log onto netflix.com over Safari and manage your queue there? Not ideal, but still pretty easy.[/QUOTE]
Doesn't work so well when your queue has ~300 items on it.

Anyone else finding that the Netflix app is really only functional over Wifi? I'm not surprised but I was kind of hoping the 3g would allow for decent streaming. So far it hasn't really been, for me at least.

[quote name='etcrane']Anyone else finding that the Netflix app is really only functional over Wifi? I'm not surprised but I was kind of hoping the 3g would allow for decent streaming. So far it hasn't really been, for me at least.[/QUOTE]

I used it with 3G for about 30 minutes today just to test it, and it hiccuped a couple times within the first 5 minutes. After that, it ran perfectly for the rest of the time. I don't know that I'll get in the habit of using it for full-length movies away from home (being that I'm limited to 2GB a month) but it seemed to run great.

Free App Calendar will be featuring the word game Jumbled for its Friday freebie (http://itunes.apple.com/app/jumbled/id381236530?mt=8).

"How well can you unscramble jumbled words? Jumbled is an addictive, fast-paced, and innovative word game that is great for playing at any time! Earn points, unlock achievements, and compete in the online leaderboards while transforming jumbled strings of letters into real words.

★ Currently being featured by Apple in the What's Hot section ★
★ Currently rated five stars by iTunes reviewers ★
★ Has been featured by Apple as a New and Noteworthy game ★
★ Has been in the Top 50 Paid Word Games in the US ★"

[quote name='etcrane']Anyone else finding that the Netflix app is really only functional over Wifi? I'm not surprised but I was kind of hoping the 3g would allow for decent streaming. So far it hasn't really been, for me at least.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='allyourblood']I used it with 3G for about 30 minutes today just to test it, and it hiccuped a couple times within the first 5 minutes. After that, it ran perfectly for the rest of the time. I don't know that I'll get in the habit of using it for full-length movies away from home (being that I'm limited to 2GB a month) but it seemed to run great.[/QUOTE]

Similar experience here. It seemed that if I left it paused for a minute, it was able to buffer enough to run smoothly. Maybe I just imaged that; in any event, it seemed to work fine after a few minutes. Glad I'm still on an unlimited plan, but I feel sorry for newcomers.

Sim City Deluxe dropped in price from 6.99 to 4.99. It just says "New low price" on the description, so I'm going to assume this is permanent. Waiting for this to get cheaper.

017992.png

http://appshopper.com/games/simcity-deluxe

Safari is the best app for Internet browsing.

I bit on Dodonpachi.

Only a few EA games are on sale, tiger woods, FIFA, nfs shift, NBA live, I forget the rest, but of those only a few are $1, nfs shift is $3

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back