Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my first year with an Ipod, do they usually run good deals on Black Friday like everyone else. I'm really hoping Chaos Rings goes down in price.

I don't know how I was unaware that CAVE (who gave us Espgaluda II and Dodonpachi Resurrection) was coming out with another title. Bug Panic is out and on sale for $3.99 for the first four days only (http://itunes.apple.com/app/mushihimesama-bug-panic/id400616982?mt=8). CAVE stuff is pretty much bullet hell/destruction bliss and they've never gone on sale past their initial release. If you have the hardware and you enjoy blowing stuff up, CAVE games should be a required download. I'm grabbing this one right now.

New FAAD offerings include:

Magic Life (http://itunes.apple.com/app/magic-life/id390382053?mt=8)
"Step through the mists of your imagination and live the Magic Life!
It’s your very first day of learning at the Magic Guild on the Islands of Magic- a wondrous place of enchantment and mystery! Learn the ways of Magic as you go from an apprentice wizard to a fully fledged magician. Interact with the people you meet, complete quests and tasks and learn spells that help you grow and hone your magical skills.
Life is more fun with friends- Magic Life connects with Facebook and lets you add your real friends to the game; Stop by their houses and say hello, send and receive gifts, or if you’re feeling mischievous, cast spells on them and turn them into rabbits, pigs and other crazy creatures! Be warned; life isn’t always fun and games and sometimes the Islands will need your magic skills to stay safe by ridding the world of creepy monsters and beasts"

Boxcar (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/boxcar/id321493542?mt=8)
"Boxcar has Twitter, Facebook, Email, RSS, Growl, Github, Google Voice, Google Buzz, App Recommendation, and more push notifications just for you. WOW!"

iPerformanceCoach (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/iperformancecoach/id398878232?mt=8)
"You are just a few steps to get the best results from your job or study.
iPerformanceCoach is an app especially designed for you to increase your productivity and focus on activities that you perform routinely.
With iPerformanceCoach you will know exactly what are the main problems affecting your performance, enabling you to take the necessary steps to solve them. In addition, the iPerformanceCoach will allow you to know how many times you were successful in executing a particular activity.
Using iPerformanceCoach to establish performance goals and knowing the monitoring of the application during execution of an activity, you will naturally create the habit of finishing your work at the planned time whenever possible and will increase your productivity and focus on the process.
With an easy and intuitive design, the iPerformanceCoach will become your personal coach, so you always get your best whether at work, or studying."

Only played for a little so far, but Mushihimesama BUG PANIC is SO much better then your typical dual stick shooter. Really I don't think it's fair to compare them. Aiming your bombs and launching them is way more strategic and fun then just pointing in a direction/shooting constantly. There's also terrain, including destructible terrain (such as mushrooms) you may want to bomb out of your way. It's very cool so far. Mind you, I've only played it 15 minutes, so not exactly a final impression :), but so far it is awesome. Minigore I got bored with in 10 minutes. This game has me anxious to get actual time to play it later today. Also, it at least starts out easy, so it's more accessible which I think is a plus, though I understand it gets quite tough later on, and it's laid out as an adventure, so even after you die you aren't going all the way back to the start, and that means you aren't going to be stuck playing the easy levels every time. I think there's also a non-adventure mode, but don't quote me on it.

Also, Boxcar is very cool. It's a free way to get notifications for twitter, but the email part is what I love. If your email service provides a means to filter email and then forward only select email, then you can use Boxcar like I do - I forward emails from my family to boxcar and I get instant notifications when I get an email from them, while everything else can wait. Gmail's filtering leaves a lot to be desired, but it's manageable and useful with boxcar. Highly recommended.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']No I dont have that but lucikly my daughter had it and was out with some friends. Sorry about that.[/QUOTE]

You should have tracked it and kept tabs on her. :) :) Seriously, though, can you track an iPod touch? I thought that was only for the iPhone (since it has a GPS)?

[quote name='Dimsdale']I don't know how I was unaware that CAVE (who gave us Espgaluda II and Dodonpachi Resurrection) was coming out with another title. Bug Panic is out and on sale for $3.99 for the first four days only (http://itunes.apple.com/app/mushihimesama-bug-panic/id400616982?mt=8). CAVE stuff is pretty much bullet hell/destruction bliss and they've never gone on sale past their initial release. If you have the hardware and you enjoy blowing stuff up, CAVE games should be a required download. I'm grabbing this one right now.[/QUOTE]

When will this go up on the US app store? None of the links work, the cave-world link, the toucharcade link or this one. It doesn't open up on my ipad :(

edit: Wait, are you serious? I just checked and it says it requires IOS 4.2 to run on the iPad? So they're saying we can't download/play it on the iPad until that comes out on the 28 of Nov?

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']No I dont have that but lucikly my daughter had it and was out with some friends. Sorry about that.[/QUOTE]

You should have tracked it and kept tabs on her. :) :) Seriously, though, can you track an iPod touch? I thought that was only for the iPhone (since it has a GPS)?

[quote name='malrock']When will this go up on the US app store? None of the links work, the cave-world link, the toucharcade link or this one. It doesn't open up on my ipad :([/QUOTE]

It's because Bug Panic won't load until iOS 4.2 is out for the iPad. So, got to wait or buy it in iTunes.

[quote name='Ozymand']It's because Bug Panic won't load until iOS 4.2 is out for the iPad. So, got to wait or buy it in iTunes.[/QUOTE]

Well that's a kick in the nuts

[quote name='malrock']Well that's a kick in the nuts[/QUOTE]

Yep. Took me a while too to figure out why it wasn't coming up in the iPad. Once I noticed that the description of the game explicitly said "iOS 4.2 required for iPad" I realized what was going on.

So Apple, hurry up, please? :whistle2:?

So would it be better to get Rage in HD or standard for an iPhone 3GS? I see it says you can play the HD version on a 3gs phone, but I read elsewhere that the HD was mainly for iPad and iPhone 4. Anyone have any idea? If the HD won't look any better than the standard version on my phone, I'd rather save a buck.

Wow Rage is taking an impressive time to download... Its been over an hour now.

Resident Evil 4 got a free update adding a few chapters and adding Platinum to the end of the title. Really nice that they keep adding to the game though I cant speak to the quality of the updates.

[quote name='crunchewy']Sorry to hear that! However, how does guessing a gift card number get anyone access to hack your account? If the card has already been redeemed then it does nothing for them, and if it hasn't been redeemed then they could just put it in their own account or sell it, but still that doesn't get your account hacked. I presume they got your password somehow, but that's nothing to do with a gift card. ???[/QUOTE]

I really have no idea, perhaps someone sniffed my password when I was on a public wifi hotspot then took the money even though I don't go on my iTunes account on public wifi hotspots.

[quote name='mightymek']So would it be better to get Rage in HD or standard for an iPhone 3GS? I see it says you can play the HD version on a 3gs phone, but I read elsewhere that the HD was mainly for iPad and iPhone 4. Anyone have any idea? If the HD won't look any better than the standard version on my phone, I'd rather save a buck.[/QUOTE]

According to what I read at Toucharcade, the HD version also runs a tad slower on the 3GS, so I think you should save yourself a buck and some download time and get the SD version, unless you think you'll be getting an iPhone 4 soon. Mind you, I don't have the game on my iPhone 4 or anything. I'd probably have it if there was a demo, but there isn't. Boo.

[quote name='SaraAB']I really have no idea, perhaps someone sniffed my password when I was on a public wifi hotspot then took the money even though I don't go on my iTunes account on public wifi hotspots.[/QUOTE]

Even then it probably wouldn't have mattered since that password transmittal is encrypted itself, and quite well (much better then WiFi security). If you use the same password as your email, definitely change it. Email is not secure. Password can easily be sniffed. Then if the simply guessed that you have an iTunes account and use that email address there, the password would work. Not sure if that's the case for you, but figured I'd point it out.

[quote name='crunchewy']According to what I read at Toucharcade, the HD version also runs a tad slower on the 3GS, so I think you should save yourself a buck and some download time and get the SD version, unless you think you'll be getting an iPhone 4 soon. Mind you, I don't have the game on my iPhone 4 or anything. I'd probably have it if there was a demo, but there isn't. Boo.[/QUOTE]

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I just read that on Toucharcade as well. I don't plan on getting a new device anytime soon, so I'll stick to the SD version. Can't wait to play this!

Picked up The Incident, Rage HD (can't play till I free up some space), and Bug Panic (can't play till the new os comes out for iPad). Thanks deal posters!

[quote name='abhinav']Wow Rage is taking an impressive time to download... Its been over an hour now.[/QUOTE]

I downloaded it last night at work over 3G and it took less time than that.

The new Street Fighter 4 update is sweeeeeeeeeeeet. i love these free character updates. hopefully they keep them coming. They also added some in app purchases like extra costumes and original SFII BGM so you can have it have old school music/sound effects instead of the updated SF4 stuff.

The word puzzle game Virble is FREE until Christmas (http://itunes.apple.com/app/virble/id357607325?mt=8).

"The mysterious Islands of Virtopia have been lost for ages, and itís time for our hero, Virlo, to embark on a brain puzzling adventure of the cutest proportion! Find hidden words to crack the codes and rescue the missing islands!

With hand drawn character animation, rich vibrant graphics, and unlimited re-playability, Virble will challenge even the most seasoned word game fanatics."

Mushiwhatever Bug Panic is great fun but I'm not exactly enjoying the WALK ON EVERY ANGSTRUM OF THE LEVEL TO GET THE SECRETS aspect or the constantly respawning small bugs aspect... which is just as annoying as constantly being harassed by small bugs.

Still a quality hunk of work though.

I'm reaching out to some old school gamers... Does anyone know of a game similar to the old school game Master of Magic? http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/master_of_magic

The premise of the game is that you are a wizard and you get to determine what kind of wizard you want to be. Then you build up your own town/fortress by building up resources (Warcraft III style), build your army, get a hero (or I believe you can get more heroes as you expand) and work towards total domination taking out all of the other kingdoms. The game was a BLAST about 15 years ago... LOL, however it had several of the key components you find in most turn based strategy games.

If anyone can think of any games similar for the ipod touch 4g, or any other really good turn based strategy games (where you have to develop an economy) I'd greatly appreciate any/all suggestions.

Thanks to anyone whom can help me with this...

[quote name='crunchewy']Even then it probably wouldn't have mattered since that password transmittal is encrypted itself, and quite well (much better then WiFi security). If you use the same password as your email, definitely change it. Email is not secure. Password can easily be sniffed. Then if the simply guessed that you have an iTunes account and use that email address there, the password would work. Not sure if that's the case for you, but figured I'd point it out.[/QUOTE]

Different passwords for email and iTunes, I changed my iTunes to a much longer password (they now require a longer password) so hopefully nothing will go wrong again. The password I now use for iTunes is not used for anything else.

[quote name='Malik112099']Damn Rage is good but it's short. 3 levels. At 750 ish megs I cant imagine how big a full game would be.[/QUOTE]

Just finished it. Though it's short I can't complain with the price point. I enjoyed it and will pay for more. I just wish there was a boss battle at the end to cap it off.

Also, one thing to note. While the game is gorgeous on iphone4. You don't get the opportunity to walk around and look at the details. I should've gone with the non hd version

New FAAD offerings include:
Gin Rummy Multipack (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gin-rummy-multipack/id305665836?mt=8)
"The awesome update to Gin Rummy is here! Gin Rummy has been rebuilt from the ground up - get it today!
Knock knock. Who’s there? It’s Gin Rummy. Gin Rummy who? Gin Rummy Multipack, the awesome, fully rebuilt version of the classic card game, let me in!
That’s right everyone, Gin Rummy Multipack has been fully rebuilt from the ground up allowing you to enjoy your favorite family card game on your iDevice whenever you want.
Find out now if you have what it takes to be the king of Gin Rummy! "

Chase the Dot Pro
(http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chase-the-dot-pro/id398907544?mt=8)
"30 dots stand between you and world domination. Do you have the skill and nerve to be the best of the best?!
Features plus+ leaderboards and awards."

BeEarthed
is the latest OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/beearthed/id369582619?mt=8)
"Play the next generation match-3+ puzzler now!
Lining up bunch of gems has been undeniably fun. But shouldn’t there be more to it than that after years of mind numbing repetition?
Enjoy the same addictive match-3+ core play scheme. "

The castle defense title Dinosaur Slayer has dropped to FREE for a limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/dinosaur-slayer/id362008695?mt=8).
" 'Dinosaurs Slayer' is a defence game of guarding the castle from attacking dinasaurs.
You must defeat the various dinosaurs and great Boss with 7 different weapons and magic."

Zombie Neighborhood is back down to .99 for a limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/zombie-neighborhood/id397582368?mt=8#). The iPad version is also on sale for .99 right now.

"It is never easy to be an astronaut, which is particularly true for James. He got an outer space maintenance mission, once he landed on the planet, unfortunately, he was bitten by Aliens. Although he survived at that time, his body had some strange changes.---actually, James became the only living on zombie planet.

###Game Features###

As an action game, Zombie Neighborhood combines defense and shooting elements, and it is a new fast-paced one. Never believe in your zombie neighbors, the only thing they wanted is to eat your brain, even they said that they are trying to help you. Ok! Are you ready to fight? Pick up all these different weapons, and kill the zombies!"

Did anyone else find Rage really hard to control? I played the tutorial, and the fact you need to "drag" yourself to the side to shoot something made things really difficult.

Am I doing something wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back