Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tecwrtr']I would like to cast a vote to merge the threads. The iPad thread can go a week without a post, so it would use less space in 3 months than what we've spent talking about it.

Just my 2 cents... :)[/QUOTE]

+a thousand

I vote YES... Not because I own both devices, but why have the mess of two threads. How about having to add a tag to the subject:

IE. [iPhone]/[iPad] insert title...

Eventually there will be another "i"Device to come out and this same problem will arise. So I vote YES...

Back to the deals here, Pulse news mini was free last night, it might still be free, you want this app, trust me, its very good.

Thanks for an actual deal!!! Though in this case the description makes no mention of a sale, so perhaps a permanent drop? In any case I downloaded Pulse news mini and will check it out.

I don't think the iPad issue needs to be open to a vote, since so many selfish people without iPads only care about how much stuff they have to look at (boo hoo!)

It simply makes sense to merge them, regardless. It's the same platform.

I agree, the platform is the same, most games run on the iPad, so as long as iPad only deals are labelled as such, who really cares. Unless your a Reeeaaaallllllyyyyyy slow reader and the extra post or two ruins your day.

[quote name='SaraAB']Back to the deals here, Pulse news mini was free last night, it might still be free, you want this app, trust me, its very good.[/QUOTE]
I downloaded the Pulse app and spent a few minutes getting acquainted with it. It may be my new go-to app for news updates on the fly. I appreciate the multiple streams and I dig the visual interface. I wish there were a few other sources you could add, but I like what's there for now. I don't know if they plan to start charging for it again, so I'm glad I got it while it's free. Thanks for the heads up.

This thread is already full of crap anyways. Go ahead and post iPad stuff. Who cares.

How about we start a thread of cheap games that are actually WORTH DOWNLOADING.

[quote name='fake larry']This thread is already full of crap anyways. Go ahead and post iPad stuff. Who cares.

How about we start a thread of cheap games that are actually WORTH DOWNLOADING.[/QUOTE]

I agree that the free games are sometimes laughable at their quality, but at least try to appreciate people sharing the news.
At least you are not paying for anything, yeah?

I've seen extremely good free games, at least once a month.

[quote name='fake larry']This thread is already full of crap anyways. Go ahead and post iPad stuff. Who cares.

How about we start a thread of cheap games that are actually WORTH DOWNLOADING.[/QUOTE]

Listen to this guy, he's too good for free games.

At least you are not paying for anything, yeah?
Time is worth something.

Listen to this guy, he's too good for free games.
I think most people here are.

I'm not joking the slightest bit when I say you would have to pay me to download and play most of the crap on here.

Last worthy download was 1.99 or 2.99 and it was Neuroshima Hex. Props to the guy who posted that, it's fantastic.

I used to download a lot more stuff but seriously, why? I'll spend more time downloading it, launching it and deleting it than I will playing it.

90% of this stuff here is garbage and I wish someone would wade through it for me.

[quote name='fake larry']Time is worth something.

I think most people here are.

I'm not joking the slightest bit when I say you would have to pay me to download and play most of the crap on here.

Last worthy download was 1.99 or 2.99 and it was Neuroshima Hex. Props to the guy who posted that, it's fantastic.

I used to download a lot more stuff but seriously, why? I'll spend more time downloading it, launching it and deleting it than I will playing it.

90% of this stuff here is garbage and I wish someone would wade through it for me.[/QUOTE]
I'll agree with you but I don't think anyone wants to play the games immediately and give impressions just so YOU know which games are worth the download. Having said that, I wouldn't mind posting my opinions/impressions on some free games when I get the time, but I won't be able to do anywhere close to all of them.

Also, I downloaded the Pulse News app, and it seems pretty cool. Just curious, what feeds do you guys follow? I've only entered a couple so far.

There are a lot of bad games that I don't bother to download but some people might like them and also there are quite a few free or cheap deals posted on here I find pretty good.

I don't want to have to read through more and more iPad apps that I can't use to get to the ones for my iPod Touch. My vote is to keep the threads separate. To the people who say that we should just read through the iPad posts, I say you should just suffer the "indignity" of having to load up two threads instead of one.

Also, free games are free. If they aren't very good, well... that's probably more often than not why they're free. Just download 'em, try 'em at your leisure, delete the ones you don't like.

All imo.

And thanks guys who keep giving us great listings of free games!

Hey guys which football game is better NFL 2011 or Madden 11. I played a demo of NFL 2011 and it was pretty good, but Madden doesn't have a demo.

[quote name='jason506']Hey guys which football game is better NFL 2011 or Madden 11. I played a demo of NFL 2011 and it was pretty good, but Madden doesn't have a demo.[/QUOTE]

If we had iPad deals in this thread you probably would have your answer.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7834407&postcount=416

Just sayin' :D

Another vote for iPad deal consolidation. Especially since a lot more apps are becoming universal.

@Jason I own NFL 2011 and I'd say overall it's very decent. I'm not sure about Madden but I would have to image it's better. I picked up NFL when it was $.99 but I probably wouldn't recommend it for any more than that.

Seriously, why not have two threads: one for all Touch/iPhone/iPad games, regardless of quality, and another dedicated to high-quality Touch/iPhone/iPad games on sale (where people try to exercise reasonable judgment before posting). That way, we can still have a thread filled with all of the junk, for people who are into that, while also regaining what is supposed to be awesome about this thread (i.e., good games, low prices).

(In truth, I wish we had a full iDevice board, on which there would be a single 'Free junk goes here' thread. But that may be too much to hope for.)

I was thinking of voting to keep them separate, until someone posted that they were the same platform..and it made me think. They are the same, and iphone apps (for the most part) work great on ipads. I don't see a problem merging them...so I vote to put them together.

Wow, you are a truly selfless person aren't you? I am in awe of all the game deals you've posted here on CAG... oh wait, that would ZERO games or deals. :roll: I usually post only decent to good games and I take my time (or in your case, waste my time) actually trying a game before posting it so it's not a generic copy/paste of the app store description and this is the response that it generates? Hmm... I'm thinking it's time I stop wasting my time sharing games I find then. And if the iPad thread merges, I'm out anyway. It's been fun CAG'ers but I could spend my time doing other things than sifting through all the free games every day to share here.

Here's one last morning update, from here on it's all your Dims:

-KingdomConquest- is new and currently free. A decent looking and playing RPG from Sega! I didn't think they published anything but Sonic crap. haha

http://ax.itunes.apple.com/app/kingdomconquest/id384877854?mt=8

Brutal Fantasy - Prologue is also new and currently free. A decent sidescroller slash'em up from the people who brought us Buster Red!

http://ax.itunes.apple.com/app/brutal-fantasy-prologue/id399616868?mt=8

Astronut is new and free. A fun variation on the jumper game genre.

http://ax.itunes.apple.com/app/astronut/id336015305?mt=8

Mecho Wars dropped to free. A good Advance Wars clone.

http://ax.itunes.apple.com/app/mecho-wars/id319358443?mt=8

Wow, you are a truly selfless person aren't you? I am in awe of all the game deals you've posted here on CAG... oh wait, that would ZERO games or deals. :roll: I usually post only decent to good games and I take my time (or in your case, waste my time) actually trying a game before posting it so it's not a generic copy/paste of the app store description and this is the response that it generates? Hmm... I'm thinking it's time I stop wasting my time sharing games I find then. And if the iPad thread merges, I'm out anyway. It's been fun CAG'ers but I could spend my time doing other things than sifting through all the free games every day to share here.

Here's one last morning update, from here on it's all your Dims... and also Fake Larry's since he (or she) clearly has better deals in mind that aren't crap.

-KingdomConquest- is new and currently free. A decent looking and playing RPG from Sega! I didn't think they published anything but Sonic crap. haha

Brutal Fantasy - Prologue is also new and currently free. A decent sidescroller slash'em up from the people who brought us Buster Red!

Fish Draw is new and free. A rather fun variation of the match 3 genre. Instead of match 3, it's draw a line and match as many of the same objects that are touching.

http://ax.itunes.apple.com/app/fish-draw/id403150016?mt=8

Haypi Kingdom is free once again for those looking for a good MMORPG for their i devices.

http://ax.itunes.apple.com/app/haypi-kingdom/id341043140?mt=8

Here's one last morning update, from here on it's all your Dims (if you still feel it's worth posting here)... and also Fake Larry's since he clearly has better deals in mind that aren't crap. In case you all can't tell I'm pretty fucking offended by his comments so I'm sorry if this sounds pretty sarcastic.

Fish Draw is new and free. A rather fun variation of the match 3 genre. Instead of match 3, it's draw a line and match as many of the same objects that are touching.

http://ax.itunes.apple.com/app/fish-draw/id403150016?mt=8

Haypi Kingdom is free once again for those looking for a good MMORPG for their i devices.

http://ax.itunes.apple.com/app/haypi-kingdom/id341043140?mt=8

[quote name='jjz203']-KingdomConquest- is new and currently free. A decent looking and playing RPG from Sega! I didn't think they published anything but Sonic crap. haha[/QUOTE]

This actually looks decent (for free I mean). Will give it a download once I get home. Thanks for posting.

[quote name='jjz203']Wow, you are a truly selfless person aren't you? I am in awe of all the game deals you've posted here on CAG... oh wait, that would ZERO games or deals. :roll: I usually post only decent to good games and I take my time (or in your case, waste my time) actually trying a game before posting it so it's not a generic copy/paste of the app store description and this is the response that it generates? Hmm... I'm thinking it's time I stop wasting my time sharing games I find then. And if the iPad thread merges, I'm out anyway. It's been fun CAG'ers but I could spend my time doing other things than sifting through all the free games every day to share here.

Here's one last morning update, from here on it's all your Dims (if you still feel it's worth posting here)... and also Fake Larry's since he clearly has better deals in mind that aren't crap. In case you all can't tell I'm pretty fucking offended by his comments so I'm sorry if this sounds pretty sarcastic[/QUOTE]

Just a page or two back I thanked everyone who contributes to this thread to make it so great. I just started following the thread recently so I'm sorry if I didn't name you, but I'm sure there are many more people here that appreciate your efforts. Don't let one person make you think no one is thankful for your efforts. I'm not sure why he's following the thread if he doesn't like what is being offered, but you've already helped me find quite a few gems...even if my only iOS device is an iPad!;)

Minigore drops to FREE for the first time ever (http://ax.itunes.apple.com/app/minigore/id324016249?mt=8). Grab this while you can in the next 48 hours if you like dual-stick shooters.

"Can you survive the onslaught of furries in the dark wilderness of Hardland? Help John Gore avoid his enemies and fill them full of lead in this action-packed arcade shooter. Intuitive dual-stick controls and stunning, fluid visuals make for one of the most addictive and characterful games on the App Store."

jjz203, i for one appreciate your posts. i check this thread every day but usually only grab the games you recommend. it would be a shame to lose your input over one flame post, but i understand time is valuable. thanks for the effort...keeping my fingers crossed you stick around.

jjz203, I appreciate what you do, but I don't understand your stance on this:

[quote name='jjz203']And if the iPad thread merges, I'm out anyway.[/QUOTE]

Yet another jumping game to add to your collection, Rocketstocks is currently FREE (http://ax.itunes.apple.com/app/rocketstocks/id382806330?mt=8).

"Welcome to the end of the crisis! Jump with little bull to rise stocks up to the top and safe the world!

The global crisis spreads its tentacles all over the world. Noone can stop this financial monster. Noone but a brave little bull. Fearless, he takes the challenge and fights his way up the stockboard, rising stocks higher and higher. If he wins, crisis will be beaten and prosperity will return, but if he fails...

Are you bull enough to take the challenge and save the world?"

[quote name='Stry-ker']Is that the big announcement?[/QUOTE]

It is a pretty big deal, all things considered. That said, I suspect there'll be a lot of people who meh.

[quote name='SaraAB']Back to the deals here, Pulse news mini was free last night, it might still be free, you want this app, trust me, its very good.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Was looking for a rss reader and this one is great!

As a new Ipad owner I would love to see both threads merged and since so many games are universal now I don't see why it doesn't happen really. But apparently some Iphone owners in here get their panties in a bunch thinking about it so do what you want I guess, I just don't see what the hell the big deal is.

KingdomConquest is awesome!!! I had to tear myself away from it, been playing for two hours straight.
It is not pick up and play though you will have to actually pay attention to the tutorials, but it is well worth it.

[quote name='Malik112099']You can add any source with an RSS feed to pulse news mini

::eek:n my iPhone::[/QUOTE]
Yep. I should've paid more attention to the tutorials at the very top of the list. Adding additional sources is a snap. Pulse is now officially my favorite news reading app. Thanks again to the OP.

I wouldn't have a problem with the threads merging. I encourage it really, and I don't have an iPad and don't plan on getting one. More and more apps are going universal and I don't see there being that many iPad only apps that would make it hard to find iPhone or iPod compatible apps in this thread. Just make this one large iOS App Sale/Free thread.

Thanks for all the heads up today! Downloaded Fish Draw, KingdomConquest and Minigore. Haven't had a chance to try all of them yet, but will do so in a little bit.

And Pulse news mini is pretty good, but I still tend to prefer just reading the website.

[quote name='jjz203'] I usually post only decent to good games and I take my time (or in your case, waste my time) actually trying a game before posting it so it's not a generic copy/paste of the app store description and this is the response that it generates? Hmm... I'm thinking it's time I stop wasting my time sharing games I find then.[/QUOTE]

Like others already posted before me, you are not wasting your time, I bought an iPod last month and this thread has become my #1 source for downloads thanks to you and dimsdale posts, please stick around, I appreciate your efforts trying out the games for us...

anyway, whatever you decide to do, thank you for all your posts! I already have 300+ apps on my iPod in about a month since I got it ...

Didn't mean to offend you jjz. I think you do a good job at what you do, I just think there's a need for another thread with just higher quality stuff listed in addition to what you do. It would be some subset of this thread. Some people want to see it all unfiltered, others just want to skim the cream of the crop.

It'd be great if we had a tagging system:
iPad, iPhone, iOS4, Grade A, Shovelware, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back