Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='fake larry']Didn't mean to offend you jjz. I think you do a good job at what you do, I just think there's a need for another thread with just higher quality stuff listed in addition to what you do. It would be some subset of this thread. Some people want to see it all unfiltered, others just want to skim the cream of the crop.

It'd be great if we had a tagging system:
iPad, iPhone, iOS4, Grade A, Shovelware, etc[/QUOTE]

He -is- posting the cream of the crop buddy... get a PSP

Wow I didn't expect Minigore to ever go free with it being so popular. Also I love this thread, thanks all you deal posters.

Minigore proves to be what I expected. Another generic dual-stick shooter. Glad I got it free.

Fish Draw isn't too bad at all, but it's not really a match three variant. It's a bubble popping variant. Or whatever those pop all adjacent color games are called. This is more fun, though, because you have to draw a non-crossing line, and that adds a genuine twist to the formula. Also I really like the fish. :)

jjz203 I would also like to thank you for all you do. You and dims are awesome for all you do for us. I pretty much just lurk in this thread but I am sorry for never having thanked you all before. Should have been done long before. We really do appreciate all you do.

[quote name='Banjora']jjz203 I would also like to thank you for all you do. You and dims are awesome for all you do for us. I pretty much just lurk in this thread but I am sorry for never having thanked you all before. Should have been done long before. We really do appreciate all you do.[/QUOTE]

:grouphug:

The latest FAAD featured game is U Connect (http://ax.itunes.apple.com/app/u-connect/id368874073?mt=8).
"A simple yet extremely fun and addictive puzzle game. The goal is to connect all the points by dragging your finger from point to point without retracing your steps. Sounds simple? It might just have you playing for hours! Try to finish all 1000+ puzzles. A great way to pass the time when you need to or just plain want to. Come see what has everybody talking."

Pocket Aliens has dropped to FREE (http://ax.itunes.apple.com/app/pocket-aliens/id400185778?mt=8).
"Is there life beyond Earth? Are we alone in the universe? These questions concern all the people on earth! Play the Pocket Aliens game to find answers to all these questions!
The Pocket Aliens game offers you an incredible journey through the universe! Together with the aliens, you will explore the planet Mars, Venus, Jupiter, Uranus, Earth, and Pandora! You will experience zero gravity in outer space! You will visit all the interesting places in our galaxy and see things no one has ever seen! You will also learn about all the aliens’ high technologies and be able to try them!
Pocket Aliens is a new game with a lot of episodes! Each new episode offers new opportunities, new mini-games, and new discoveries. The latest released episode includes all the features from previous releases!"

The platformer Bam Bam Dash is also currently FREE (http://ax.itunes.apple.com/app/bam-bam-dash/id401116537?mt=8).
"Bam Bam Dash is a nifty platform game with a pre-historic theme. Unleash
your inner caveman as you bam cute and cuddly dinosaurs and dash across
crumbling platforms. Some dinosaurs might just prove to be your friends as
you take leaps of faith and strategically run into boulders to control your
running speed. It's simple and intuitive but only master tappers can time
their jumps to set new distance records.
Inspired by the series of Dash games, Bam Bam Dash has some of the prettiest
backdrops and bounciest tunes you'll find on the iPhone."

As an occasional poster of deals and a long time reader who has taken advantange of many free games and great deals posted by the regulars, I'll throw my two cents on this silly little discussion that is going on:

STFU.

You don't like the format? Too bad. The people posting here aren't here to clean up what they do for your convenience. They are taking time out of their day to share their finds. It shouldn't matter what the format is or the quality of the game. If one person likes it, then it was worth posting. If you think you can do better or you want a change, do it your damned self and leave the regulars alone. I can't believe there has to be multiple pages discussing this kind of stuff. They are deals people. They are not anything so serious that stuff like this has to gone on. Get over yourselves.

This will probably get deleted just like the last time I spoke my mind.

Wow minogore free! Daum sweet deals!

Also I would like to thank Dimsdale and JJ for being awesome users! I could easily go to appshopper and pick all the free crap but I always like to get roughly the best ones and these 2 users do that for me. I'd rather check this thread then some other random blog or whatever. Not sure why but these users make it nice and easy to get some great games for free.

jjz:

Just wanted to say thanks to you for all the info, it's saved me and the wife a lot of money. Knowing which games are free or on sale is one thing, but your added comments really help sort the good stuff from the not so good. Your helpful posts are one of the best reasons to come to CAG every day, and I hope you don't let a unwanted comment like that drive you away.

Hope you stick around, but either way good luck.

More FAAD titles have been added:

Qwazz (http://itunes.apple.com/app/qwazz/id375317117?mt=8)
"Qwazz – Challenge your friends...
Many Games in one free App!!!
- Many different free games!
- Thousands of players!
- Connect with new friends all over the world!
- Play live against anyone in the world or battle your friends!
Qwazz is a brand new gaming platform where game-loving people from all over the world meet to challenge each other in a funny and attractive environment."

Tron (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tron/id381432246?mt=8)
"Welcome to the GRID, Program. Experience two distinct games set in the combat arenas of the digital GRID from the world of TRON. Enter to compete in classic Light Cycle and Tank games reminiscent of the TRON Arcade. Destroy waves of drones and derezz enemy Programs in single player campaigns or join a faction to compete in online multiplayer battles."

A running jumping game from the people who did Ghosts 'n Zombies, Global Runner is currently available for FREE (http://ax.itunes.apple.com/app/global-runner/id367577263?mt=8).

"In Global Runner, you guide the cute doggy. All he wants to do is RUN and TRAVEL around the world. Simple touch to jump, the longer you touch, the higher doggy will jump.

Global Runner is easy to learn and easier to love.

FEATURES:
-One finger-touch play
-One infinite map
-Jump on monsters to bring them down as Mario does
-Transportations, like Helicopter, Aircraft and UFO
-Various items for character customization
-Hand drawn art
-Cute character Design
-In-game score markers
-Highscore feature by OpenFeint
-Challenge friends"

Thanks to those of you (jjz, dimsdale, etc.) who take time to find these deals. 90% of the games I play are free games that you recommended. You guys are the main reason I come to CAG now that I'm an expat and can't get the other deals.

I know this is random, but I made a list of some of my favorite games that I recommend.

• Fruit Ninja - slice fruit while avoiding the bombs. Slice as many as you can at once for a high combo score.
  • Space Miner - shoot asteroids, upgrade your ship, save your uncle’s business (young’un!).
  • Guns ‘n’ Glory - tower defense with cowboys and indians.
  • Plants vs. Zombies - tower defense with… plants… and zombies.
  • Jet Car Stunts - maneuver/fly your car through obstacles to complete each course.
  • Monster Dash - sidescrolling platformer. Nonstop running, jumping, and shooting of monsters. See how far you can get.
  • Sword & Poker - a unique take on the poker genre with RPG elements.
  • Angry Birds - slingshot your birds to attack and defeat the evil pigs.
  • Flick Kick Field Goal - flick the football through the uprights. See how many you can get in a row/within the time limit.
  • Textropolis - simply spell as many words as you can, given a certain set of characters.
These are some of the most fun/addicting games I have ever played.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']I know this is random, but I made a list of some of my favorite games that I recommend.

• Fruit Ninja - slice fruit while avoiding the bombs. Slice as many as you can at once for a high combo score.
  • Space Miner - shoot asteroids, upgrade your ship, save your uncle’s business (young’un!).
  • Guns ‘n’ Glory - tower defense with cowboys and indians.
  • Plants vs. Zombies - tower defense with… plants… and zombies.
  • Jet Car Stunts - maneuver/fly your car through obstacles to complete each course.
  • Monster Dash - sidescrolling platformer. Nonstop running, jumping, and shooting of monsters. See how far you can get.
  • Sword & Poker - a unique take on the poker genre with RPG elements.
  • Angry Birds - slingshot your birds to attack and defeat the evil pigs.
  • Flick Kick Field Goal - flick the football through the uprights. See how many you can get in a row/within the time limit.
  • Textropolis - simply spell as many words as you can, given a certain set of characters.
These are some of the most fun/addicting games I have ever played.[/QUOTE]

I appreciate these occasional posts. It reminds people of great games that some people may have missed.

Some oldies that still get playtime for me are:
Implode!
Jim & Frank Mysteries
Sentinel 2
Dark Nebula 2

[quote name='LuisRM']I appreciate these occasional posts. It reminds people of great games that some people may have missed.[/QUOTE]

Add Cut the Rope to that list, great game.

I appreciate the posts too.

Someone hacked my itunes account and took all my credit though, thankfully I use prepaid cards and they only got about $5 for me. Hopefully apple refunds my money. I am guessing they were fishing for giftcard numbers and got the one I entered. I would never attach a credit card to an iTunes account, just a warning for everyone. That didn't take long as I just bought my iPod last month!

The Mysterious Past of Gregory Phoenix is on sale for .99 for a limited time (http://ax.itunes.apple.com/app/the-mysterious-past-gregory/id397141118?mt=8#).

"Imagine that you have a forefather-inventor, whose life what the full mystery and he bequeathed it to you with a secret he kept... That is what happened to young Gregory Phoenix and dramatically changed his life.

The main riddle of the game is the book detailing the history of an ancient kingdom and a magic suit of armor that was dismantled by an evil wizard, who spread the pieces all over the world. Gregory also finds a robot-helper and a strange machine. Inventions of his great ancestor help Gregory to move through time and space and also help in unbinding some of hidden object tasks.

After clearing each location machine generates new key that is able to unlock new places on the map. After new pages of the tale are revealed, you are presented with original mini-games that take some efforts to solve."

[quote name='SaraAB']I appreciate the posts too.

Someone hacked my itunes account and took all my credit though, thankfully I use prepaid cards and they only got about $5 for me. Hopefully apple refunds my money. I am guessing they were fishing for giftcard numbers and got the one I entered. I would never attach a credit card to an iTunes account, just a warning for everyone. That didn't take long as I just bought my iPod last month![/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear, but +1 on not keeping a credit card on file with iTunes. I've heard nothing but horror stories about it.

Both the iPhone and iPad versions of the terrific puzzler American McGee's Crooked House are currently FREE (http://ax.itunes.apple.com/app/american-mcgees-crooked-house/id363493706?mt=8).
"Help the Crooked Mouse escape the Crooked House!
A dizzying array of macabre objects fill the crooked house.
Arrange the objects by to create a safe route for the mouse.
Fail and the mouse dies a gruesome death. Eek!
● 2 control methods (tilt or tap)
● 3 distinct areas of the house
● 44 types of macabre objects
● 72 individual puzzles
● Plus+ Awards and leader boards
● American McGee's style of twisted fairytale"

Also, just for you iPad owners out there, The Mysterious Past of Gregory Phoenix is on sale for .99 for a limited time (http://ax.itunes.apple.com/app/the-mysterious-past-gregory/id397141118?mt=8).
"Imagine that you have a forefather-inventor, whose life what the full mystery and he bequeathed it to you with a secret he kept... That is what happened to young Gregory Phoenix and dramatically changed his life.
The main riddle of the game is the book detailing the history of an ancient kingdom and a magic suit of armor that was dismantled by an evil wizard, who spread the pieces all over the world. Gregory also finds a robot-helper and a strange machine. Inventions of his great ancestor help Gregory to move through time and space and also help in unbinding some of hidden object tasks.
After clearing each location machine generates new key that is able to unlock new places on the map. After new pages of the tale are revealed, you are presented with original mini-games that take some efforts to solve."

[quote name='LuisRM']Sorry to hear, but +1 on not keeping a credit card on file with iTunes. I've heard nothing but horror stories about it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I heard about the big breach a while back, thankfully they only got $5 from me, plus they bought stuff with it so technically the worst that happens is I end up downloading the stuff they bought even if it isn't exactly what I want. Its really a small price to pay considering what could happen if you use a credit card with iTunes, thankfully I know better. Perhaps apple will be nice and remove the charges and unwanted apps and refund my money.

[quote name='SaraAB']I appreciate the posts too.

Someone hacked my itunes account and took all my credit though, thankfully I use prepaid cards and they only got about $5 for me. Hopefully apple refunds my money. I am guessing they were fishing for giftcard numbers and got the one I entered. I would never attach a credit card to an iTunes account, just a warning for everyone. That didn't take long as I just bought my iPod last month![/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear that! However, how does guessing a gift card number get anyone access to hack your account? If the card has already been redeemed then it does nothing for them, and if it hasn't been redeemed then they could just put it in their own account or sell it, but still that doesn't get your account hacked. I presume they got your password somehow, but that's nothing to do with a gift card. ???

[quote name='The Carrot Cake Kid']Space Miner is awesome[/QUOTE]
Agreed, I played through it twice in the past 2 days (first on Normal, then on HardcORE). It's so addicting.

BOWloon is the latest OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/bowloon/id376482952?mt=8).

"BOWloon kicks your butt into another Dimension!

Take part in a 3D world, where a little balloon dude with a big attitude beckons your control. Fight in a race against time to score the highest, last the longest and shoot the furthest. It's up to you to determine your fate. Grab your bow, draw back your arrow and shoot."

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']dammit I lost my ipod touch 4g :cry:

I have looked everywhere....*goes and grabs a step stool and a rope*[/QUOTE]

Did you have Mobile Me? You can track it with that.

[quote name='Vegan']Did you have Mobile Me? You can track it with that.[/QUOTE]

No I dont have that but lucikly my daughter had it and was out with some friends. Sorry about that.

[quote name='CONMAN999']So will Rage HD run on my 2nd Gen Touch? And will there be a non-HD version of it?[/QUOTE]
Rage HD will not work at all on Ipod 2G, but the non hd version will. Also I played a little bit and it seem pretty good, not great though. It is very smooth and quick but I couldn't get quite used to the aiming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back