Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanx and yea, the guy said he would give me everything it came with. Only bad thing about it is slight scratches on the chrome rim when the little talk speaker hole is due to taking it in/out of his pocket. He kept a screen shield on since day 1.

Pinball Dreaming: Pinball Dreams is FREE for a very limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/pinball-dreaming-pinball-dreams/id301200965?mt=8).

"Pinball Dreaming: Pinball Dreams is the official iPhone version of the classic Amiga pinball arcade simulator originally released in 1992.

It features the 4 original tables with remastered graphics and comes with 100% of the original addictive gameplay! The game can be played in both portrait and landscape orientation and runs at full 60FPS on all devices."

Iron Fist Boxing Prestige Edition drops to its lowest price in over a year. . .a mere 99 cents (http://itunes.apple.com/app/iron-fist-boxing-prestige/id298673200?mt=8). There's also a free lite version if you don't feel like risking your buck on a blind buy (http://appshopper.com/games/iron-fist-boxing-2).

"IRON FIST BOXING is the original real-time 3D MMA fighting game on the App Store. This 3rd settlement sports a totally revamped input system, a longer career mode, more game modes, and more characters than ever.

IRON FIST BOXING 3D STRIKE pushes the envelope with 6 game modes plus multiplayer (Nearby Mode only), OpenGL(R) ES 2.0 with shaders enabled for iPhone 3GS and 3rd generation iPod touch. (Support for OpenGL(R) ES 1.1 is available)."

I ordered an iPod touch and should be getting it middle of the week next week so I have been stocking up on free games from this thread. Finally decided after having my Nano for a couple years it was time to upgrade.

Wolfenstein RPG dropped back down to $0.99
** GOLD AWARD – PocketGamer ** GET READY FOR ACTION IN WOLFENSTEIN RPG...You are Sergeant B.J. Blazkowicz, leader of an elite U.S. fighting unit on a Special Ops assignment. Your call to duty is to save the world from the grip of the evil Axis Army that dwells in Castle Wolfenstein. Fight your way through a freakish bestiary of zombies, mutations, elite soldiers and more. Use your boots, fists and toilets to kick, punch and pummel your enemies to a pulp. Inflict serious damage with weapons such as a flamethrower, a rocket launcher, and a Tesla!

http://appshopper.com/games/wolfenstein-rpg

[quote name='lllGurulll']I have heard that you can but it has to be jailbroken to work or it will eventually shut down because it doesn't have service. This is only what I have heard though.[/QUOTE]

I can confirm a 3G will NOT shut down due to lack of service. It WILL pop a random message that there is no sim card installed when you boot it up. But just tap ok and it goes away, till next reboot. if he restored it to factory, you will need to put a working sim in it to "activate" it. If not it will boot to a screen that allows you to make emergency calls only. Once its activated, you can take the sim out and you wont be bothered with that again, unless you do another factory restore. Activating is more like unlocking the device. (not in the JB unlock sense) but just to unlock the phone so you can get passed the emergency calls only issue.

[quote name='Dimsdale']Pinball Dreaming: Pinball Dreams is FREE for a very limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/pinball-dreaming-pinball-dreams/id301200965?mt=8).

"Pinball Dreaming: Pinball Dreams is the official iPhone version of the classic Amiga pinball arcade simulator originally released in 1992.

It features the 4 original tables with remastered graphics and comes with 100% of the original addictive gameplay! The game can be played in both portrait and landscape orientation and runs at full 60FPS on all devices."[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I've had this on my 'Watch List' for damn near a year... Wasn't it $4.99?

[quote name='107proof']Wolfenstein RPG dropped back down to $0.99
** GOLD AWARD – PocketGamer ** GET READY FOR ACTION IN WOLFENSTEIN RPG...You are Sergeant B.J. Blazkowicz, leader of an elite U.S. fighting unit on a Special Ops assignment. Your call to duty is to save the world from the grip of the evil Axis Army that dwells in Castle Wolfenstein. Fight your way through a freakish bestiary of zombies, mutations, elite soldiers and more. Use your boots, fists and toilets to kick, punch and pummel your enemies to a pulp. Inflict serious damage with weapons such as a flamethrower, a rocket launcher, and a Tesla!

http://appshopper.com/games/wolfenstein-rpg[/QUOTE]

I recommend this one. It's a pretty straightforward dungeon crawler, but it has some good writing and enjoyable visuals. I enjoyed the 6 hours it took me to beat it.

[quote name='callmesteam']Thanks! I've had this on my 'Watch List' for damn near a year... Wasn't it $4.99?[/QUOTE]

Same here, awesome deal! Can't wait to try this on the iPad.

If get into this game I might just buy the newer 'Pinball Fantasies' as a gesture back to the dev (and cuz it looks great).

[quote name='107proof']I can confirm a 3G will NOT shut down due to lack of service. It WILL pop a random message that there is no sim card installed when you boot it up. But just tap ok and it goes away, till next reboot. if he restored it to factory, you will need to put a working sim in it to "activate" it. If not it will boot to a screen that allows you to make emergency calls only. Once its activated, you can take the sim out and you wont be bothered with that again, unless you do another factory restore. Activating is more like unlocking the device. (not in the JB unlock sense) but just to unlock the phone so you can get passed the emergency calls only issue.[/QUOTE]
So I could just stick the sim card in from my Net10 phone and be good then?

[quote name='107proof']I can confirm a 3G will NOT shut down due to lack of service. It WILL pop a random message that there is no sim card installed when you boot it up. But just tap ok and it goes away, till next reboot. if he restored it to factory, you will need to put a working sim in it to "activate" it. If not it will boot to a screen that allows you to make emergency calls only. Once its activated, you can take the sim out and you wont be bothered with that again, unless you do another factory restore. Activating is more like unlocking the device. (not in the JB unlock sense) but just to unlock the phone so you can get passed the emergency calls only issue.[/QUOTE]

Cool, ill let my friend know not to restore to factory settings. Basically he will transfer his #/info to the new Iphone4 and leave the 3GS w/out any. Hope it all works.

@Guru: You cant do that since the iPhone is locked to AT&T, regardless if it dont have a contract on currently.

To avoid the message just put the phone into airplane mode, it forces the phone to only use wifi.

In addition to NY Zombies, Free App a Day is featuring a utility today called HomePipe Premium (http://www.freeappaday.com/napp.php?id=185).

"HomePipe is a network service with supporting software that provides a variety of secure, full time access to all your home content. HomePipe provides access from smart phones, netbooks, remote computers, laptops, using the secure HomePipe network and small lightweight agents that reside in the home"

Plushed is free today to promote Blacksmith Games new game Boostball
I'd give a recommendation one way or the other, but sadly I bought this back when it dropped to $1 and never got around to playing it. >_

[quote name='stoned99']To avoid the message just put the phone into airplane mode, it forces the phone to only use wifi.[/QUOTE]

does that work with a 3GS model? So excited to get an iPhone(Itouch in reality) soon.

[quote name='darknight88']Cool, ill let my friend know not to restore to factory settings. Basically he will transfer his #/info to the new Iphone4 and leave the 3GS w/out any. Hope it all works.

@Guru: You cant do that since the iPhone is locked to AT&T, regardless if it dont have a contract on currently.[/QUOTE]

Have your friend plug the iphone into his computer and make sure it gets a good backup. Then have him remove the email account info. delete any memos, or pictures he doesnt want you to see, take the sim card out of it, and give it to you. Then your good to go. Once you sync it with your computer and itunes account it will remove his songs, and apps and only sync your stuff. This way its already activated.

OR... probably the better way.... Have him make a good backup of his info, then when it is plugged into his computer, have him go under settings, general, reset, and then tap "ERASE ALL CONTENT AND SETTINGS" wait for it to erase everything, it will reboot and unlock once it connects back to itunes. It will show up in itunes as a new phone. Then disconnect the phone, have him remove his sim, and then take the phone, there shouldnt be any trace of his info on there and you have an activated phone. This process will take about an hour.

[quote name='107proof']Have your friend plug the iphone into his computer and make sure it gets a good backup. Then have him remove the email account info. delete any memos, or pictures he doesnt want you to see, take the sim card out of it, and give it to you. Then your good to go. Once you sync it with your computer and itunes account it will remove his songs, and apps and only sync your stuff. This way its already activated.

OR... probably the better way.... Have him make a good backup of his info, then when it is plugged into his computer, have him go under settings, general, reset, and then tap "ERASE ALL CONTENT AND SETTINGS" wait for it to erase everything, it will reboot and unlock once it connects back to itunes. It will show up in itunes as a new phone. Then disconnect the phone, have him remove his sim, and then take the phone, there shouldnt be any trace of his info on there and you have an activated phone. This process will take about an hour.[/QUOTE]

Thanx man, ill let him know this. So once he does this : "Then disconnect the phone, have him remove his sim"(from above) I can take the iPhone and connect it to my PC and sync it with my itunes account, the phone will register fine as a fresh new phone?

Really exited. I've been looking at the GoPhone prepaid service for this phone to make basic calls. Hopefully this method works with newer 3GS models as I read it works(worked) before w/out having to jailbreak/unlock the phone.

Also thanx for the advice and the great freebie links 107proof!!

PS: WIll I be able to DL the new FW OS 4 w/out a contract? Maybe I can tell my friend to DL the new FW before transfering his info to the new phone. Just asking cuz I heard it normally costs a fee for iTouch users. Not sure about no-contract iPhone users.

[quote name='darknight88']Thanx man, ill let him know this. So once he does this : "Then disconnect the phone, have him remove his sim"(from above) I can take the iPhone and connect it to my PC and sync it with my itunes account, the phone will register fine as a fresh new phone?

Really exited. I've been looking at the GoPhone prepaid service for this phone to make basic calls. Hopefully this method works with newer 3GS models as I read it works(worked) before w/out having to jailbreak/unlock the phone.

Also thanx for the advice and the great freebie links 107proof!!

PS: WIll I be able to DL the new FW OS 4 w/out a contract? Maybe I can tell my friend to DL the new FW before transfering his info to the new phone. Just asking cuz I heard it normally costs a fee for iTouch users. Not sure about no-contract iPhone users.[/QUOTE]

1st question: Yes you will be able to take the phone and connect it to your pc and sync it with your itunes account without any issues.

2. Not sure about using a GoPhone sim with the iphone. Never tried it. Seems like it would work just for making calls but cant confirm.

3. NO.. you will not be able to update to OS 4. Well, kind of... heres why. When you update your Firmware, it essentially erases the os and reinstalls a new one. When it does this, the iphone will reboot and need to be activated again. Without a valid sim it will not activate and it will remain locked for emergency calls only. if you know someone with another iphone you can pop their sim in to activate your phone, then give them the sim back. (You cannot use an iphone 4 sim due to it using a smaller sim card)

Ah ok, yea I have another friend with a 3G phone, maybe he can help me reactivate the phone and install the new OS4. Thanx man and sorry to drag the thread :(

Karate Champ $0.99

387077.png

★★★★★ ON SALE!! 48 Hours only!! The original arcade fighter from Data East comes to the iPhone complete with **MULTI-PLAYER**. Karate Champ is the very first fighting game and spawned a thousand imitators. One of IGN's Top10 Most Influential Games of all time, and to many the game that embodies what a fighter should be.

As featured on iTunes (HOT New Games), Gizmodo, Touch Arcade, and Pocket Gamer, Karate champ is more than a blast from the past and a must-have for your fighting game / retro collection, Karate Champ is unique for it's use of TWO STICKS NO BUTTONS and VERTICAL screen, and available in it's launch week for 30% off!

This not only makes it unique among the fighting game fraternity but perfectly suited to the iPhone from a control perspective, and one of the most affordable 2 player experiences on iTunes.
http://appshopper.com/games/karate-champ

Anna Montana

071771.png

In Collaboration with Open Feint’s Free Game of the Day, Anna Montana is Free for TODAY only.

How fast can your fingers do the cleaning?

Treat yourself to Anna Montana, “A Desperate Housekeeper”, a fusion of time challenge, resource management, strategy, and simulation.
http://appshopper.com/games/anna-montana

Pool Ninja

749155.png

Pool Ninja in collaboration with www.FreeAppADay.com will be FREE today and today only.

NEW take on Pool Games! Fight it out with other players around the World by clearing the table in the fastest time.

You too can become a Pool Ninja by mastering the pool skills needed to clear the table in the blink of an eye. Pick from 60 mind-bending challenges over three difficulty levels, clear the table of red balls and see how you compare with the rest of the World – all set in the lush surroundings of our secret Japanese training centre.

Pool Ninja allows you to challenge your pool skills in a beautiful oriental location. Do you have what it takes to become a pool ninja?

This is a unique challenge; a single player pool game that gets progressively more challenging as you unlock each level. The online leader-board, Plus+ leader-board and Plus+ achievement awards let you compete with your friends to get the fastest time to determine once-and-for-all who is the Pool Ninja.
http://appshopper.com/games/pool-ninja

Ravensword: The Fallen King dropped to $1.99

594384.png

Our land is a peaceful one. There is no war or hunger here, but strange and evil creatures stalk the night ...

Enter the world of Ravensword: The Fallen King; a massive, sandbox-style adventure for the iPhone and iPod touch. Combining 3D action with RPG elements, Ravensword features rich and interactive environments that bring you a gaming experience unlike anything you’ve seen on the iPhone platform. Take on quests to earn money and experience. Wield powerful weapons and magical runes. Battle fearsome enemies such as Orcs, Trolls, Ogres and Demons. Test your skills with a variety of games and side quests.

This is the first adventure in the Ravensword series.

http://appshopper.com/games/ravensword-the-fallen-king

Somewhat off topic, but somewhat not and hopefully others find this helpful. For any of you running Safari 5 (Windows or Mac OS), you *NEED* to get this extension:

http://einserver.de/nomoreitunes/

It stops itunes links in the browser from automatically opening itunes. Instead you get the preview page from which you can choose to then go to the app in itunes if you want. Why it doesn't work this way already I don't know, but thank god for this extension! Note that currently extensions in Safari are a developer feature, though they work great. To enable extensions, first enable the Developer menu (via the preferences). Then in the Developer menu choose the option to enable Extensions. From then on you can double-click an extension in the Finder/file browser to install it.

Also here's a site listing available Extensions for Safari 5 (and they have a better explanation of how to enable them):

http://safariextensions.tumblr.com/

EDIT: I find myself now clicking itunes links just for the heck of it. It's such a relief to not have it launch/switch to iTunes every time. :)

[quote name='crunchewy']Somewhat off topic, but somewhat not and hopefully others find this helpful. For any of you running Safari 5 (Windows or Mac OS), you *NEED* to get this extension:

http://einserver.de/nomoreitunes/

It stops itunes links in the browser from automatically opening itunes. Instead you get the preview page from which you can choose to then go to the app in itunes if you want. Why it doesn't work this way already I don't know, but thank god for this extension! Note that currently extensions in Safari are a developer feature, though they work great. To enable extensions, first enable the Developer menu (via the preferences). Then in the Developer menu choose the option to enable Extensions. From then on you can double-click an extension in the Finder/file browser to install it.

Also here's a site listing available Extensions for Safari 5 (and they have a better explanation of how to enable them):

http://safariextensions.tumblr.com/

EDIT: I find myself now clicking itunes links just for the heck of it. It's such a relief to not have it launch/switch to iTunes every time. :)[/QUOTE]

On a similar note, if you are using chrome. You can do this by going opening a new tab and typing in

about:plugins

From there, find the plug-in titled "iTunes Application Detector" and click disable.

Zombie Wonderland was released today with the release price of $.99
That's 50% off!

I've been following this game for a while, and it's not available yet on the APP store unless you manually type in "Zombie Wonderland" and click buy on the search page. There isn't an offical App Store Info page for it, just yet...but it is really pretty fun. And it's got a neat concept with a Sims-style, no roof overview as you fight zombies.

http://www.zombiewonderland.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back