Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tipio']Zombie Wonderland was released today with the release price of $.99
That's 50% off!

I've been following this game for a while, and it's not available yet on the APP store unless you manually type in "Zombie Wonderland" and click buy on the search page. There isn't an offical App Store Info page for it, just yet...but it is really pretty fun. And it's got a neat concept with a Sims-style, no roof overview as you fight zombies.

http://www.zombiewonderland.com/[/QUOTE]

Went to go buy it but looks like Apple pulled it down. :cry:

AbstractWar is currently on sale for FREE (http://appshopper.com/games/abstractwar-20).

"There is a place where trigonometric ratios are perfect and the traditional laws of physics dont apply. 
Here you will do battle where there isn’t a distinction between good and evil, and you who have to fight in the weakest side. Good luck!

Your mission won’t be easy, you must beat 10 types of different enemies.

You can play alone or in cooperative mode with two or more friends with bluetooth connectivity."

The word game Letter Drop has dropped its price to FREE for the time being (http://appshopper.com/games/letter-drop).

"It's easy: Just form words by touching the letters as they fall.

Of course what starts so simply can become devilishly tricky. The more
letters you catch, the quicker they tumble: soon the alphabet trickle
becomes a verbal flurry.

Don't dawdle! Gain bonuses by spelling multiple words with the same
letters, but lose lives if an untouched letter falls off the bottom of
the screen.

Stretch your brain! LetterDrop's dictionary contains more than 30,000
words, from abacus to zymurgy, all three to seven letters long. Use our
special touch gestures to accelerate your play."

Wow @ Abstract War. Its Geometry wars clone I actually like more than geometry wars. I think the fact that its a little slower placed than tilt to live is a good thing since tilt controls that are ultra sensitive can be a bitch

[quote name='crunchewy']Somewhat off topic, but somewhat not and hopefully others find this helpful. For any of you running Safari 5 (Windows or Mac OS), you *NEED* to get this extension:

http://einserver.de/nomoreitunes/

It stops itunes links in the browser from automatically opening itunes. Instead you get the preview page from which you can choose to then go to the app in itunes if you want. Why it doesn't work this way already I don't know, but thank god for this extension! Note that currently extensions in Safari are a developer feature, though they work great. To enable extensions, first enable the Developer menu (via the preferences). Then in the Developer menu choose the option to enable Extensions. From then on you can double-click an extension in the Finder/file browser to install it.

Also here's a site listing available Extensions for Safari 5 (and they have a better explanation of how to enable them):

http://safariextensions.tumblr.com/

EDIT: I find myself now clicking itunes links just for the heck of it. It's such a relief to not have it launch/switch to iTunes every time. :)[/QUOTE]Or for Firefox users - specifically Greasemonkey users - install this script to do the same thing:

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/71794

Anyone wondering if you should take advantage of the WWDC pricing on Navigon MyRegion or whatever it's called... well I can't make your mind up for you, but I can tell you that even though I've only had it two days, I've already run into a pretty glaring problem and I see someone on iTunes posted this same issue: Navigon, at least in some cases, does not seem to be able to get the location right. I search for a local Gamestop, in this case one that I knew where it was. First I tried the google search and it found it but then it selected a place close to, but not actually the location of the store. It's in a shopping center that is on one side of a beltway but Navigon placed it on the other side! So I tried the POI search and it didn't have the gamestop at all, even though its been around quite some time. So then I switched back to CoPilot Live and search in the live search in it and it found it, but CoPolit Live got its location exactly right (or damn close anyway). So then I checked to see if the search in Navigon ended up with the right address, and it had the right address, so it would seem that the problem is its maps - the street numbers are way off, at least in this case. It's pretty discouraging. Maybe this won't crop up elsewhere and may it's something that will be fixed in an update, but I'm probably going to switch back to CoPilot (which as I noted before, also has a much more sensible map arrangement which lets you just have the states you need, thus saving huge amounts of space) and wish'd I'd not paid the $15 for Navigon. At least at this moment it seems like it was a waste of money. Which is a shame because Navigon certainly has some nice features.

I have football fever so I got the World Cup game for $0.99. So far, I think is pretty decent. Presentation is nice and the controls work fine.

geoFighter - Light Wars dropped to FREE!!!

032821.png

The galaxy of light is under attack by an evil force.
General geo wants to crush you with his geometrical minions.
Evil squares, triangles, crosses. Surely you cannot let them have their way!. This is why you're sitting in your best fighter vehicle, with both thumbs on the controls. It's your job to save the galaxy or die trying. Your ship is fitted with the most advanced weapons that your civilization developed. If all else fails, you've got terrifying bombs that can wipe out everything in their path.
geoFighter (Light Wars) is the ultimate survival shooter experience. Use the on-screen analogs to steer your ship and fire at the enemy. Shake the device to unleash powerful bomb blasts or touch the center of the screen.
Think you can survive and save the galaxy of Light? or maybe everything is in vain? ( it is.. but don't tell anyone ok?..)
If you've ever played grid wars or geo wars , you're sure to like geoFighter!

http://appshopper.com/games/light-wars

[quote name='PlatinumIce']Are you fucking kidding me?

I fucking dropped $7 not too long ago on this and the expansion, and now it's free? I mean, it's a fantastic deal, but seriously. Just my luck. Next thing you know Chaos Rings will be free.[/QUOTE]

I sure hope it does!

Picked up PuzzleQuest 1&2 - thanks OP!

After seeing what faad is putting free
puzzle quest
Crush the Castle
Plush
I dont think I will have to buy an app for awhile

LED Soccer

616704.png

***ORIGINAL 1979 MATTEL SOCCER***
*FREE***FREE***FREE***FREE***FREE***FREE*
*FREE ALL WEEKEND TO CELEBRATE WORLD CUP*

"Charge-on" with the official "Mattel" electronic Soccer for your iPhone/iPod Touch.

In celebration of "World Cup Soccer" we are giving away LED Soccer for "FREE" all weekend.(Friday June 11 6:00 PM PST - Sunday June 13th 12:00 AM PST) Courtesy of
www.freeappalert.com

http://appshopper.com/games/led-soccer

Free App a Day is also featuring Empires at War (http://www.freeappaday.com/napp.php?id=190).

"As a sovereign of one of 4 nations available in the game, you have to protect your people and crush your enemies. Build defensive structures to repel invaders. Send your fearless and formidable warriors to destroy your enemies base. Evolve your nation to higher ages in order to get access to more powerful and deadly weapons and advanced technologies.

In order to achieve all these goals, you must plan carefully and spend your gold wisely. Only thoughtful and sensible decisions and good tactics will lead to victory."

Someone beat me to the Puzzle Quest mention. I have it on DS, played the heck out of it and have always thought about getting it on iPhone, but with all the other games to play never pulled the trigger. For free, YES PLEASE.

Questions: on iPhone the game appears split between 3 chapters, do all 3 chapters represent what the full game on DS was or what? Is it done w/ chapter 3 or are more coming after that?

[quote name='cycophuk']Is this the full game with both combined?[/QUOTE]

Looks like it's almost the entire game. It includes chapter 1 and 2 in a single app. You can buy chapter 3 as an in-app purchase for $1.99. So techinically, you can get the full game for 2 bucks. Not bad. I like the visual presentation of the PC and DS version better though.

If you like Zuma, try Spaceballs, it does seem a little easy though and it is extremely barebones. Atlantis Sky Patrol is better and that one has been free in the past, but I have had some control issues with that, I think that mouse or controller is the best way to play these Zuma-clones.

[quote name='Smaxor']Someone beat me to the Puzzle Quest mention. I have it on DS, played the heck out of it and have always thought about getting it on iPhone, but with all the other games to play never pulled the trigger. For free, YES PLEASE.

Questions: on iPhone the game appears split between 3 chapters, do all 3 chapters represent what the full game on DS was or what? Is it done w/ chapter 3 or are more coming after that?[/QUOTE]

The iPhone version is only 3 chapters, so if you grab the free app then get the $2 in-app purchase of ch. 3, you have the entire thing. Having said that, its actually more content than the DS version, because it includes the expansion that was released for the XBLA version (and included in the PSN version).

[quote name='mkernan']The iPhone version is only 3 chapters, so if you grab the free app then get the $2 in-app purchase of ch. 3, you have the entire thing. Having said that, its actually more content than the DS version, because it includes the expansion that was released for the XBLA version (and included in the PSN version).[/QUOTE]

I believe chapter 3 was only released for the iphone. Chapter 2 IS the expansion that was on XBLA. Dont quote me because I never played the expansion but i do have the original XBLA version sans expansion and this version (1&2) has more content than the orig on XBLA. I remember reading somewhere that chapter 3 was exclusive to iphone.

[quote name='Billy Jean']I believe chapter 3 was only released for the iphone. Chapter 2 IS the expansion that was on XBLA. Dont quote me because I never played the expansion but i do have the original XBLA version sans expansion and this version (1&2) has more content than the orig on XBLA. I remember reading somewhere that chapter 3 was exclusive to iphone.[/QUOTE]

Its not.

(XBLA ver. + expansion) = (PSN ver.) = (iPhone ver. Chapters. 1+2+3)

Having said that, Chapter 3 does not equal the expansion, strictly speaking. The content is laced into the game as a whole, whereas I think not having Chapter 3 just stops you from progressing at a certain point.

In other words, (taken from app description): "Puzzle Quest for the iPhone and iPod Touch includes game content from the Revenge of the Plague Lord expansion pack in addition to the original game. Each instalment stores characters, spells and high scores, allowing you to carry your heroes forward from chapter to chapter."

[quote name='mkernan']Its not.

Having said that, Chapter 3 does not equal the expansion, strictly speaking. The content is laced into the game as a whole, whereas I think not having Chapter 3 just stops you from progressing at a certain point.

In other words, (taken from app description): "Puzzle Quest for the iPhone and iPod Touch includes game content from the Revenge of the Plague Lord expansion pack in addition to the original game. Each instalment stores characters, spells and high scores, allowing you to carry your heroes forward from chapter to chapter."[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I know the xbla expansion is just the plague lord one but so far on the iphone version jsut for chapts 1&2 offer new characters and classes than the orig xbla has. I dont know if plague lord introduced those on xbl or not though.

I'm glad I didn't pay for iPhone Puzzle Quest. I consider myself to have small finger tips but it is way too hard to touch the jewels properly. The music cuts in and out during transitions, the text is way too small, and the map is frustrating to navigate. Compared to the console or even DS version, it's subpar. That said, for free, if you've never played it, it's definitely worth it.

The puzzler Geared has dropped back down to .99 for a limited time (http://appshopper.com/games/geared).

"Geared is a radically new and innovative puzzle game; a unique addition to its genre.

The first and only Gear-based game with absolutely no snap-grid. Geared delivers complete and total freedom to the player, bestowing every puzzle with a near infinite array of choices.

Pit your intellect against 150 uniquely designed levels, original to this game.

Finally, a game without inhibition.
Let your creative genius run wild."

[quote name='mkernan']Its not.

In other words, (taken from app description): "Puzzle Quest for the iPhone and iPod Touch includes game content from the Revenge of the Plague Lord expansion pack in addition to the original game. Each instalment stores characters, spells and high scores, allowing you to carry your heroes forward from chapter to chapter."[/QUOTE]

That's good to know. Thanks for the break down. I own it for both the DS and XBLA. Even though it's just two bucks to complete the game, I just don't see the point of paying anything at all to own it a thrid time.

[quote name='cycophuk']That's good to know. Thanks for the break down. I own it for both the DS and XBLA. Even though it's just two bucks to complete the game, I just don't see the point of paying anything at all to own it a thrid time.[/QUOTE]

Might as well get the portion that's free though.

I have it on iPhone, PSN, XBLA, PSP, and used to have it on DS. Pretty silly.

Not really a deal, but a great board game conversion on the iPhone and surely even better on the iPad.

The classic world renowned board game Caracassonne is on the app store for $4.99, I picked it up the other day and must say that the game plays very well and has online. If you're a fan of the BG or remotely interested in it, this is cheaper than the XBLA and physical version.

I think I remember it being talked about earlier in the thread, but I'm gonna recommend Carcassonne too. It's a very well done version, extremely polished and the online play is spot on.

Clue by EA dropped to $1. This isn't a port of the board game, they instead went with some logic puzzle generator. You traverse the mansion and collect clues by talking to people and searching stuff you see in the mansion. Try to get all the clues you can in the limited moves you have and then try to solve the crime. It's unique, clever, and kinda fun though it gets repetitive.

Also Carcassonne, hell yeah.

I wish I wasn't so excited for the Hook Champ sequel though.

Played a couple hours of PuzzleQuest on iPhone 3G. The game itself is still awesome, but port was not done well. The controls are ugly (needless buttons, sliders, unresponsive touch), animations are rough or non-existent, stuttery/sluggish sound and view transitions. I'm hoping they take another pass at this game to fix controls and animations and tune it for lower end devices; I'm an iPhone dev, there's a half dozen things I can think that they are probably not doing right to get this kind of ugly performance out of an app like this. I've seen worse ports (*cough* Columns). It's not a good port but I like the game well enough to suffer through and it has NOT done the worst thing: crash w/ no (or old) save state.

A recent surprise for me was Sword of Fargoal. It's also a port but of a much older game (to the point I'm not sure 'port' is a fair description), but they did a really good job for what it is. It will not suit all tastes, and it's punishing as you learn, but there is a level of polish in the game that I appreciate greatly and the core game is engaging enough to me (rogue-like exploration) to sink a pleasant amount of time into.

Its paining me to watch these games go on sale and become free as I now lost my iPod Touch. I'm still downloading some of the free games, but I honestly can't survive without my iPod.

^this ... except with my iPhone 3G! :( Good thing the new iPhone is out in a few weeks (hopefully ... ) and my contract for the 3G is up! :eek: ... although, I was hoping to keep it as a 'touch' or backup! :(

Convinced that my dog ate it, buried it, or hid it somewhere! :'(

Anyhow, I am most certainly still downloading the free/cheap stuff, as I will be getting the new phone soon(ish)! :)

I would love to see the new iPod Touch get some of the new iPhone 4 features, specifically the ability to record HD video. I've thought about getting a Flip for a while, but a new Touch w/HD video capabilities would kill the Flip.

Never having played Puzzle Quest before, I'm enjoying it. Much more then I expected. Pretty clever game. The text is ridiculously tiny, but most of it I'm not bothering to
read anyway, and wouldn't have had it been bigger! It's just silly. The game is quite fun, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back