Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sandaz93']What is the absolute best tower defense game for the ipod touch?[/QUOTE]

MY favorite TD game was The Creeps. I had a lot of fun with it.

And for which RE game to get, I hear 4 is the better of the two.

[quote name='sandaz93']What is the absolute best tower defense game for the ipod touch?[/QUOTE]
Tough to say. What are you looking for? Classic TD? Or something that puts a spin on the genre?

For example Plants vs Zombies is a great lawn defense game, I don't know if I'd call it Tower Defense (it takes the idea of Tower Defense and goes it's own direction with it) but I've seen it classified as Tower Defense in a lot of places.

The Creeps gets a lot of praise, but isn't terribly visually striking. It's a very pure TD, aside from the need to destroy objects to be able to plant your towers if you want them in the best positions. But I like that because it keeps you busy during down time, and helps to make it a bit more frantic.

Defender Chronicles is another great one, which adds some RPG elements to the TD in a 2D style that works extremely well. Great game and it's gotta loads of updates.

Some challenging ones would be GeoDefense and GeoDefense Swarm. The first is a path based one, while the other is a free-form one. Both are VERY challenging compared to any other TD game I played. But the challenge is addicting if you're a TD fan.

Field Runners is wroth a gander if you're not looking for something too challenging.

What are some of your fav TD games now? That would better help me suggest just one of these to you.

[quote name='sandaz93']Also, Resident Evil 4 or Degeneration?[/QUOTE]

Neither.

Interested to hear what others think of Mega Man II on iPhone. I couldn't stomach more than 5 minutes of the crappy controls when I bought it about 6 months ago.

Anything else out there like Words With Friends? Not really scrabble type games, but good back and forth two player games. My girlfriend and I play them during the day while we're each at our jobs.

[quote name='Psykoboy2']Anything else out there like Words With Friends? Not really scrabble type games, but good back and forth two player games. My girlfriend and I play them during the day while we're each at our jobs.[/QUOTE]

Depict is cool, its like 8bit pictionary, although its more than two players, and its real time instead of turn based.

Thursday's Free App a Day feature is Dark Nova (http://www.freeappaday.com/napp.php?id=268).

"Dark Nova is the highly anticipated conversion of the classic Palm Pilot game “Space Trader” for the iPhone. A complete and total graphical overhaul and game flow/design update. Visually stunning graphics, a luscious soundtrack, and an unbeatable auto-saving mechanism make this the game we’ve all been waiting for. Be the first space cadet on the block to get it.

Dark Nova is the essential single-player role-playing game we’ve all been waiting for on the iPhone. A real-time expansive universe consisting of over 100 star systems, each with many planetary bodies make this a game that you don’t master in short order. Buy and sell goods between star systems, make a profit and try to avoid the Police along the way...if you can. Become a trader, a pirate, or a mercenary for hire. There’s a market for all professions.

Classic SciFi RPG style play. 100's of hours of entertainment. Design your character then work your way up from a small fragile ship to a juggernaut brimming with weapons and gadgets."

Glyder 2 for ipad is free right now, as is Retro Fighter, cubes 3d revolution and ninja blitz for iPhone.

Aftermath is $.99 and so is duke nukem for ipad.

Pharaoh's Puzzle is FREE for all you puzzle fans (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pharaohs-puzzle/id382196141?mt=8).

"This is a simple but very easy to get addicted puzzle game. The goal is to move the stones to unlock the puzzles which set up by the Pharaoh. Having the Golden stone out of the square will win the game.

Character:
- Unique double decipher pattern, solves two problems simultaneously.
- Sophisticated graphics and sound.
- Multi-different solutions.
- Ranking system will bring you into a more challengeable stage.
- 100 levels, and updating continually."

[quote name='Dimsdale']Thursday's Free App a Day feature is Dark Nova (http://www.freeappaday.com/napp.php?id=268).

"Dark Nova is the highly anticipated conversion of the classic Palm Pilot game “Space Trader” for the iPhone. A complete and total graphical overhaul and game flow/design update. Visually stunning graphics, a luscious soundtrack, and an unbeatable auto-saving mechanism make this the game we’ve all been waiting for. Be the first space cadet on the block to get it.

Dark Nova is the essential single-player role-playing game we’ve all been waiting for on the iPhone. A real-time expansive universe consisting of over 100 star systems, each with many planetary bodies make this a game that you don’t master in short order. Buy and sell goods between star systems, make a profit and try to avoid the Police along the way...if you can. Become a trader, a pirate, or a mercenary for hire. There’s a market for all professions.

Classic SciFi RPG style play. 100's of hours of entertainment. Design your character then work your way up from a small fragile ship to a juggernaut brimming with weapons and gadgets."[/QUOTE]

Always sucks to see something you buy go free.

Dark Nova is definitely a more or less direct port of the SpaceTrader Palm game, a relatively pleasant little menu-based Elite-ish game. So well liked was that game that it found a PC port.

It, of course, does little to take advantage of the Iphone other than simply to port and expand on that SpaceTrader concept, but for free, it's tough to pass up.

For all those who have been jonesing for some finger flickin' mayhem, Ninja Blitz is here and it's FREE for a limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/ninja-blitz/id371417610?mt=8).

"Prepare to be blitzed!

It's total ninja mayhem as players are pitted against a horde of relentless ninjas. To defeat the ninjas, players must use their fingers to flick stars at them to survive the onslaught. Ninja Blitz is an intense and action packed arcade style game specifically designed for the iPhone and iPod Touch.

Can you survive the blitz?"

[quote name='graf1k']It looks kind of like Puzzle Quest but in the Castlevania universe. Is that about right? Because I frigging love me some PQ.[/QUOTE]

To me it looks like a form of Puzzle Fighter.

[quote name='ViolentLee']Interested to hear what others think of Mega Man II on iPhone. I couldn't stomach more than 5 minutes of the crappy controls when I bought it about 6 months ago.[/QUOTE]
The landscape mode solves these problems, I believe. I was able to plow through several stages on hard classic mode without any problem with the controls.

The button placement in landscape is infinitely more playable than in portrait.

It's a solid version of the game now.

I bought Let's Golf 2 ($4.99) last night as I was a big fan of the original. It looks like it's a much more full featured experience than Let's Golf including 108 holes, 6 characters, more customization and a full career mode. Others might want to check it out.

Today's Great App a Day freebie is Turbo Duck (http://www.greatappaday.com/details/turbo-duck/).

"Guide Turbo Duck around the pool using the iPhone's accelerometer and touch-screen controls. Collect the flags to gain extra time, while avoiding the toy boats, submarines, mines and other hazards that slowly fill the pool. Make use of your Duck’s amazing turbo boost for extra speed. (Trust me you don’t want to know how he does it!)"

Cubes 3D Revolution, a "different" match-3 puzzler, is currently available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/cubes-3d-revolution/id322419099?mt=8).
"New era of Match 3 games comes, now in 3D. Meet the revolutionary Match 3 game.

You'll be surprised how familiar and absolutely new at the same time gameplay can be. Match sets of 3 or more cubes of the same color as you used to. But innovative game mechanics amazingly broaden the gameplay to real 3 dimensions. Look out for combinations exploring sides of cubes by titling iPhone/iPod Touch and turn cubes by sliding them with fingertips. More options, more combinations, more entertainment. Bonuses, anti-bonuses, classic and action game modes, cool graphics and sound effects together with the addictive gameplay will keep you entertained for hours."

Another match-3 from the same developer, Virus Laboratory, is also FREE right now (http://itunes.apple.com/app/virus-laboratory/id343779630?mt=8).
"Virus Laboratory is an exciting block breaking game.
Your aim is to remove the viruses when they are close to other same color viruses, and don't let the viruses overflow the board.
Killed viruses will be stored up in store room, and you can convert them to different medicines!"

Free App Calendar is showing something called Sailor Dog for its free game today (http://www.freeappcalendar.com/details.php?id=260).

"Sailor Dog is an origami-styled, fast paced jumping game where you aim for the highest score. We've made sure you'll have tons of action packed fun while sailing, bouncing, flying & blasting your way to the online leaderboard!

The evil Sailor Cat has taken all your bones and attached them to balloons, and he's letting them go all over the sea!
You and your swan must collect as many bones as you can, while avoiding Sailor Cat's evil henchmen!

Sail on your trusted swan and avoid those pesky henchmen, or knock them down!
Pick up suits carried by air supply pigeons to gain special powers. Try to stay in the air for a bigger multiplier!

It's all about having fun!

Do you have what it takes to be the ultimate Sailor Dog?"

[quote name='cycophuk']To me it looks like a form of Puzzle Fighter.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the puzzling looks more like Puzzle Fighter than PQ. I was just referring to the RPG aspects when I likened it to PQ.

Dungeon Solitaire has just gone FREE for a very limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/dungeon-solitaire/id356770949?mt=8).

"A prison break has gone bad, and now terrifying monsters are swarming up into Castle Wolfcairn's dungeons. Brave heroes rush into the tunnels to stop them... but will the kingdom survive?

Award-winning developer Griptonite Games presents DUNGEON SOLITAIRE -- a simple and addictive fantasy card game. Players must carefully place the creatures, heroes, and dungeon rooms to stop the monstrous invasion. Draw a card, place it down, and hope you don't get eaten by the oozes, tunnel goblins, and dragons that inhabit the dark! You'll need brave adventurers, clever strategy, and a good dose of luck to win Dungeon Solitaire!"

[quote name='sandaz93']Any good pool/billiards games?[/QUOTE]

I have Pro Pool Online 3 and it's pretty good. Currently $1.99. It was $0.99 a few weeks back. I snagged it for free a month or two ago and haven't tried any other billiards games,

[quote name='dark1x']The landscape mode solves these problems, I believe. I was able to plow through several stages on hard classic mode without any problem with the controls.

The button placement in landscape is infinitely more playable than in portrait.

It's a solid version of the game now.[/QUOTE]
Thanks, good to know. I'll probably add it back to my machine now.

I watched IGN's gameplay vid of Castlevania Puzzle. Didn't sell me, maybe in part because the player sucked at it. It's getting great ratings at the App store, but I'll wait for IGN's review.
Here's the video if anyone is interested: http://wireless.ign.com/dor/objects...videos/e310_castlevaniapuzzle_gmp_061710.html

has anyone bought risk? its a featured app right now for $5 from EA. it says it has wifi multiplayer. could be very fun if it was push based like carcassonne and words with friends. im a big risk fan, but i could see games being quite long if it was push based. still, im slightly tempted.

Dungeon Solitaire's pretty fun. You draw all the different cards(heroes, monsters, items, weapons, traps) from a deck and have to decide how best to play them. once you figure out how to play there's only a couple of strategies you want to perform to get really high scores, and it's all based on luck of the draw.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']has anyone bought risk? its a featured app right now for $5 from EA. it says it has wifi multiplayer. could be very fun if it was push based like carcassonne and words with friends. im a big risk fan, but i could see games being quite long if it was push based. still, im slightly tempted.[/QUOTE]

Risk apparently doesn't have a lot of the feature that make carcasone great. No push notifications. I'd hold off till they update it or drop the price to 2.99. I think slide to play or toucharcade has a review up.

*edit* touch arcade has a preview up that says the game is local only... Mega lame

Last edited by a moderator:
Balance Solitaire is still free, and I recommend it. It's so simple, but very addictive. You're essentially playing solitaire with 3 piles -- two on opposite ends of a scale, and one in the middle. You're judged by how quickly you finish, how many cards are left, and how balanced the scale is.

I bought the "full version" for $0.99, which is in-app only, and though I don't see a huge difference it was worth it to support an app I enjoyed.

http://appshopper.com/games/balance-solitaire

[quote name='doodofdoods']Dungeon Solitaire's pretty fun. You draw all the different cards(heroes, monsters, items, weapons, traps) from a deck and have to decide how best to play them. once you figure out how to play there's only a couple of strategies you want to perform to get really high scores, and it's all based on luck of the draw.[/QUOTE]

It's decent but nothing special. Too little that the player can do simply as a game, odds are stacked too much against him for a random-chance game. I almost regret dropping dosh on it.

[quote name='aaronmills']I have Pro Pool Online 3 and it's pretty good. Currently $1.99. It was $0.99 a few weeks back. I snagged it for free a month or two ago and haven't tried any other billiards games,[/QUOTE]

Is it online only or does it have a single player mode?

[quote name='sandaz93']Is it online only or does it have a single player mode?[/QUOTE]

It has single player, but the option to play online as well. I haven't tried any multi-player stuff, but the options are: Online, Peer-to-Peer and Pass-and-Play.

Ratings in iTunes for it is 3.5 stars for what it's worth.

Dungeon Solitaire seems ridiculously stacked against you. I'm guessing this is what drives in-app purchases.

Afterwing 3D is currently available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/afterwing-3d/id357287831?mt=8#).

"Afterwing is a unique arcade-style flying shooter written by a gamer with the gamer in mind. It delivers the fun of a 3D dogfighting game without the annoyance of hard-to-control aircraft "realism". Afterwing focuses on gameplay and player-experience with easy to use motion controls that just work. Add to that a lock-on missile mechanism with that satisfying tone and explosion that'll keep you addicted.

Play across 4 worlds each with multiple levels and its own unique theme. Unlock additional weapons and powers as you play to build your aircraft into an unstoppable destructive force."

A couple of new freebies. Proudly cut 'n pasted from Appshopper for your convenience:

342398.png
Cat Physics
* * * OMG! It's free! * * * DONUT GAMES' CRAZY SUMMER is here! We are giving away THREE premium games for free during a limited time! - Castle Smasher - Cat Physics - Traffic Rush Grab em' all...
(http://appshopper.com/games/cat-physics)

007946.png
Birdie In Trouble
YES, IT'S FREE, for a limited time... Our little new born birdie, fell off his nest and tries to find his way home. As he still didn't learn how to fly, he needs to go through a long journey jumping...
(http://appshopper.com/games/birdie-in-trouble)

[quote name='Smaxor']Dungeon Solitaire seems ridiculously stacked against you. I'm guessing this is what drives in-app purchases.[/QUOTE]
In app purchases actually add TOUGHER monsters and don't usually work in your favor.

Remember to include the add-on decks you do have though.

But yeah, if you pull the 6/6 asshole without being able to beat him that turn you'll NEVER get his ass off the field.

Gravitation Defense (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gravitation-defense/id380715637?mt=8)

**Displayed New & Noteworthy on the app store action/arcade section**

Gravitation Defense is a simple, fun and intense pick-up and play action game. The objective is to survive for as long as possible while waves of increasingly difficulty attack the Earth.

Gameplay video:
http://www.youtube.co/watch?v=7JHq8cbYeaA
(or click on the website link below)

The gameplay can be seen as a sort of cross between missile command, asteroid and flight control, as the player manages the traffic around the earth.

Castle Smasher (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/castle-smasher/id311468972?mt=8) Another free game from Donut games
Ready, set, aim!

Load your catapult and SLING BOULDERS at your enemies castles on a quest to CONQUER the kingdom.

Castle Smasher v2 is the NEW, UPDATED and ULTIMATE VERSION of the original web game that started a whole new sub-genre of catapult games back in 2007.

Travel from castle to castle, challenge new tribes and rescue prisoners in this extended version packed with THREE game modes.

Can you master the art of TEARING DOWN enemy walls?

Clay Gunfighters (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/clay-gunfighters/id375696178?mt=8) It's openfeint so if you are into building your achievements for free. *shrugs*
Two Clay Gunfighters face off in the Old West in this exciting test of nerves and reaction speeds. Play SINGLE PLAYER and see how many stages you can complete, or challenge a friend to a VS. duel sharing the same screen.

Instructions:

- Remember to wait for the DRAW! before tapping the screen to fire or you'll drop your gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back