Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='RollingSkull']In app purchases actually add TOUGHER monsters and don't usually work in your favor.

Remember to include the add-on decks you do have though.

But yeah, if you pull the 6/6 asshole without being able to beat him that turn you'll NEVER get his ass off the field.[/QUOTE]

Gah, noted. I played a few games and it always seemed even when I thought I was going to pull through, even a small streak of bad luck would be enough to destroy a chance at winning. This game would be much more interesting if you could build (or even preview) some of the deck yourself.

On the flipside of disappointment was Crystal War, not a very long game, but had fun progressing through the campaign. Some of the gameplay is a little fiddly (way too much tapping), but other than that it was a decent distraction. The small amounts of Engrish is also hilarious.

Launch some torpedoes with the arcade shooter Attack Submarine, FREE for a limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/attack-submarine/id364538612?mt=8).

"Attack Submarine is a horizontal scrolling, arcade shooting game, in the game, you take the role of a super submarine captain,driver your submarine to eliminate all the invading enemys, in the space, surface of the water and under the water, dangerous enemies in everywhere. You should control your submarine very carefully, escape the enemy wave after wave of attacks, Firing torpedoes, missiles, bombs to destroy all enemies.

Game control is simple, using accelerometer or touch joystick to steer your ship, pay attention to collect bonus, you will own variety of powerful attacking weapons. Weapons will automatically launch attacks on the enemy.

There are eight levels in the game. The difficulty and ferocity of the attacks increases. How long will you be able to survive?"

So I bought Castlevania Puzzle and so far I'm enjoying it. It's basically a match three game with gimmicks. The only way to lose is to have your HP brought down to zero (if the screen fills, you'll receive damage instead of automatically losing.) Then there's the RPG elements like leveling up, assigning stats, equips and the a large map that you can't fully explore until you learn some skills (and I'm assuming relics as well.) There's some cutscenes, though they seem to have mixed the PS1 and PSP dialog. The best part however? The soundtrack is the same as SotN's, that alone is good enough to make this a must buy for me. Well worth the $5 if your a Castlevania SotN fan.

iphone 4 case program app is now available in the app store, if you have an i phone 4 you can download this app to get a free case

Just wanted to mention a game I'm having some fun playing - Bridge Odyssey. It's .99 cents now, but there is a lite version to try. It's a solid puzzler where you build bridges and try and get different animals of varying weights across it. Different elements and animals are put in throughout which keeps it fresh.

http://appshopper.com/games/bridge-odyssey

[quote name='bredbu']iphone 4 case program app is now available in the app store, if you have an i phone 4 you can download this app to get a free case[/QUOTE]

Here's the case options for those curious...

Apple iPhone 4 Bumper - Black

Incase Snap Case for iPhone 4 - Smoke

Incase Snap Case for iPhone 4 - Clear

Belkin Shield Micra for iPhone 4 - Clear

Griffin Motif iPhone 4 - Diamonds/Smoke

Griffin Reveal Etch iPhone 4 - Black/Black Graphite

Speck Fitted Case iPhone 4 - Black Tartan

Speck PixelSkin HD iPhone 4 - Black

Shipping for each one except the last 2 cases are 3-5 weeks, and the last two are 4-6 weeks.

Hey, quick ?. Is there any way to output a ipod touch to tv for example. I know you can use an auxillary wire to listen to music but is there anyway I could see videos/games on my tv screen?

[quote name='Smaxor']Gah, noted. I played a few games and it always seemed even when I thought I was going to pull through, even a small streak of bad luck would be enough to destroy a chance at winning. This game would be much more interesting if you could build (or even preview) some of the deck yourself.[/QUOTE]

The game would be more interesting if you actually had more to do as the player. There's next to no strategy, you have no room to maneuver. Real solitaire is at least more engaging if only because you are more engaged scanning the dang cards.

And yeah, 4 bad cards in a row will kill you faster than a speeding freight train. It's annoying as heck and I don't see the point.

The match-3 math puzzler 7-11-21 is currently FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/7-11-21/id382015106?mt=8).

"Do you like match 3 games? Then you will LOVE 7-11-21 - the totally addicting and new kind of ‘Match 3’ game.

The rules are simple, the replay value is endless.

Choose 3 or more numbered tiles that are next to each other and add to 7, 11, or 21 before any tiles reach the top. "

Got a dumb question-- I just picked up the 2 $50 iTunes gift cards at BB for $85 and I've never used 'em before. Now that I've redeemed them, I can buy anything with them, right (like apps, not just songs/albums)? And can I buy them with my gift card balance in the apps store via my Touch, not just through my lap top?

Just making sure I use up my gift cards before the charges go to my credit card...

[quote name='sandaz93']Hey, quick ?. Is there any way to output a ipod touch to tv for example. I know you can use an auxillary wire to listen to music but is there anyway I could see videos/games on my tv screen?[/QUOTE]

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1454

[quote name='darrenaero']Got a dumb question-- I just picked up the 2 $50 iTunes gift cards at BB for $85 and I've never used 'em before. Now that I've redeemed them, I can buy anything with them, right (like apps, not just songs/albums)? And can I buy them with my gift card balance in the apps store via my Touch, not just through my lap top?

Just making sure I use up my gift cards before the charges go to my credit card...[/QUOTE]

Yes, that is correct.

[quote name='fazfznz']Here's the case options for those curious...

Apple iPhone 4 Bumper - Black

Belkin Shield Micra for iPhone 4 - Clear

Griffin Motif iPhone 4 - Diamonds/Smoke

Speck Fitted Case iPhone 4 - Black Tartan

Speck PixelSkin HD iPhone 4 - Black

Shipping for each one except the last 2 cases are 3-5 weeks, and the last two are 4-6 weeks.[/QUOTE]
Originally had just selected the bumper, but after reading about it further realized it's a piece of junk. Switched my order to the Incase Snap Case for iPhone 4 - Smoke, and looking forward to adding it to my repertoire!

Picked up a $15 iTunes card tonight at best buy caused I had a few reward zone certificates to blow, and I'm just seeing which games I don't own are worth it. I want to get some music too, so maye $5 most on games..but I was looking at:

hector: badge of courage
guitar hero
rock band
plunderland
predator

just any opinions or suggestions appreciated!

Anyone have an opinion on which of the free cases would be the best for protecting the iphone from scratches/drops?

The OpenFeint free game for Saturday is BlastUp (http://itunes.apple.com/app/blastup/id372925632?mt=8).

"Blast Up is an explosive 2D platform physics game, that challenges your strategic poking skills.

Blast your soccer ball around the interactive levels, opening doors, breaking windows, swimming through water and more.
Solve each level to unlock new courses and achievements.
Compete against the world for highscore glory."

I think, and I am sure everyone will have their own ideas, that the best "pure" case if you are looking for functionality and protection is the Pixelskin. Get over to speck's website and get a good look at it first, but I think that is a legitimately decent case.

As for Iphone games no one mentions Swords & Poker 2 I think that is quite fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jcp42877']Picked up a $15 iTunes card tonight at best buy caused I had a few reward zone certificates to blow, and I'm just seeing which games I don't own are worth it. I want to get some music too, so maye $5 most on games..but I was looking at:

guitar hero
rock band
plunderland
predator

just any opinions or suggestions appreciated![/QUOTE]

Predators is definitely worth a look. If you haven't already check out Super Quickhook and Air Attack!

and to ocu best cases are:

Speck HD

Anagram & Word Lookup for Words with Friends is currently available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/anagram-word-lookup-for-words/id381884002?mt=8).

"With this helper utility for Words with Friends you can quickly find all possible valid words for the letters/blanks on your rack. You can also quickly find out whether your words are valid and look up their definitions. Improve your skill by using it as a training tool.

Features:
- Quick anagram solver
- Check if a word is valid
- Definition lookup
- Thesaurus lookup
- Encyclopedia lookup
- Switch between up to 10 racks/games
- Various tips, hints, and strategy
- Lists of useful memory words for training
- Allows use of wildcards (for blank tiles)
- Special filter to narrow down the search results
- Sort your search results three ways: alphabetic, by length, by score
- Portrait and landscape mode support"

I am on a rampage on Warblade! I have over 300 million points and am on level 250. I also have maxed out cash (99990). I'm super glad the game saves your place when you exit. Anyone else playing this game and getting super crazy scores?

[quote name='jcp42877']Picked up a $15 iTunes card tonight at best buy caused I had a few reward zone certificates to blow, and I'm just seeing which games I don't own are worth it. I want to get some music too, so maye $5 most on games..but I was looking at:

guitar hero
rock band
plunderland
predator

The only game I own off your list is "Hector: Badge of Courage". If you like the Sam & Max series, get it. It's like that except even more offensive. Case-in-point, you use a used condom to help you solve one of the first puzzles. The only downside is that there's quite a bit of British slang so some of the jokes can go over your head at times. The game is extremely polished and well worth the $4 asking price.

Other "point and click" (or in this case "point and tap" games) to consider:

* Beneath a Steel Sky ($2.99) - A Sci-Fi point and click adventure game from the 90s. GOG.com has the PC versiona available for free so I'd suggest downloading it from there. You might not even need to buy it for iPhone if you get it that way.

* Broken Sword: Director's Cut ($4.99) - I haven't played it, but know people who have. They really like it.

Other games I'm enjoying right now:

* Helsing's Fire ($0.99) - been mentioned in this thread a couple times. It's a fun puzzle game with a well-instrumented light element for solving the puzzles. Good humor in it as well.

* Jim & Frank Mysteries ($0.99) - Pretty much a Professor Layton knock-off, but for $0.99 that's not a bad thing (especially if you don't have a DS). Also a very polished game. I've played it for about 2 hours already and will definitely be getting my money's worth.

* Phoenix Wright (on sale for $2.99 until the 25th) - a port of the DS game. I don't own a DS and never played this until now, but there's a reason it's a 4.5 star-rated game. It was a blind buy for me after reading a few reviews and after playing it for 30-minutes or so I'm glad I got it.

guitar hero
rock band
plunderland
predator

I would try out rockband with the lite version offered in the app store before you purchase it. I found the buttons to be far too small, causing me to frequently miss beats that I should have gotten. A much better solution is tap tap 3 which is free to try, and expandable with song packs.

My personal favorite game on the app store is super quickhook. action/platformer with some of the tightest controls for an iphone game. The developer has been updating it about once a month, adding new levels, customizable items, and characters. Even after you beat it there is still an excellent endless score attack mode, and tons of replay with hidden items, coins, and leaderboards for each level.. For 3 dollars you get a much more original, fun, and lasting game experience then just about anything else on the app store (predators included). Sitting at 4.5 stars on the app store, and pretty much universal acclaim from review sites, there is no reason to pass this gem up.

Some of my other favorites are
NinjaTown: Trees of Doom -1.99
Space Invaders: Infinity gene - 4.99 (lite version available)
Spider: The secret of bryce manor - 2.99 (awesome adventure game)
Star Defense -.99 (one of the best tower defense games, and only a dollar)
Ragdoll Blaster - .99 (fun polished physics puzzler with a lite version to try)
Helsings Fire - .99 (Awesome puzzler from the makers of angry birds, pretty funny)
Minigore - .99 (Best controls for dual stick shooter on the iphone, lots of unlockables)

and then the obvious games that everyone should have
Doodle jump
Flight Control
Plants Vs Zombies
Canabalt
peggle
angry birds
zen bound

and heres the TL;DR buy super quickhook

[quote name='Devulture']I hope someday there would be a sale for Square-Enix titles.[/QUOTE]
There's a legitimately good chance that when Secret of Mana and FF Tactics come out on iPhone this fall that they will put the other longer running games on sale.

Apache Killer 2 (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/apache-killer-2/id382791710?mt=8) Ignore one of the reviews, some uneducated liberal apparently has not heard of an Apache helicopter.
Apache Killer is a type of horizontal shooting game, the player control a helicopter to attack the enemy. There are kinds of tanks, cars in the ground, and other plane in the space, the enemy can fire the bullet and missile, so you should control the helicopter avoid collision with the enemy, in the same time, you should collect the supply package fall down from the space to extend your life.

Deadly Dungeon is once again available for FREE for a limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/deadly-dungeon/id375576171?mt=8).

"Deadly Dungeon is a hack and slash game.
Discover the Dungeons and kill all the evil forces you find!

Features:
- 8 levels
- 3 enemy types: Skeletons, Ogres and Goblins
- Collect gold to unlock extra playable Female Warrior and extra swords
- 4 magic spells per playable character
- Great 3d art/animations, music and sound effects
- OpenFeint achievements and leaderboards integration"

Give your brain a workout with the puzzler Kodix -- Break the Code!, currently FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/kodix-break-the-code/id360951401?mt=8).

"Kodix is an amazingly fun, and challenging brain teaser that hails from the code-breaking board game, Mastermind. Unveil your inner codebreaker and use your most cunning powers of deduction to reveal a hidden code!

The game is perfectly designed for the iPhone, and just like brain teasers such as Sudoku, you must guess at a sequence of numbers(or symbols), while using clues to solve each puzzle.

Kodix tracks your scores, provides a selection of unique themes, and gives you an infinite number of challenging puzzles, for only $0.99! Unlock 4 levels of difficulty to make a mind teaser that is second to none on the AppStore. If you are an expert, your skills can be taken to their code breaking limits, and beginners can enjoy gameplay that is super engaging, yet easy to pick up."

One of my current favorite word games, iAssociate 2, has just been updated with more levels (and it's still FREE) http://itunes.apple.com/app/iassociate-2/id370423110?mt=8

"With the release of iAssociate 2 we are now improving the game further, answering the requests our fans have made, among the biggest being more levels. iAssociate 2 offers brand new, never before seen, levels for you to enjoy. You will get to figure out what some of the most powerful forces on mother earth are, food in all different forms and tastes, go treasure hunting knowing that X marks the spot and LOTS more.

Besides the new levels iAssociate 2 also offers lots of new features to help you progress in the game. You can now get hints for all of those words which you get stuck with, but beware, there is only a limited amount of hints for you to use so use them wisely. If the Hints aren't enough then you can now also quickly ask for help on Facebook, in seconds you'll have your help requests published on Facebook allowing everyone else to aid you in the game.

If these features aren't enough then there's now a new chance for you to prove your worth by competing against all other players. By completing your levels faster than others you'll now have a chance to earn speed medals, which can help you unlock more levels faster."

hey guys, i have a question. i recalled seeing a texting app for the ipod touch that was free. it would be normally on sale. but i was wondering if that is still free cause i heard it was good. does anyone know the name of that app?

Free App a Day is featuring the enjoyable math puzzler Super 7 for its Sunday highlight (http://www.freeappaday.com/napp.php?id=276).

"The next generation of line-drawing games has arrived with Super 7 for the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad.

Draw lines to combine the numbered discs and try to create 7s. Sure, it sounds simple but can you keep up once negative numbers and multipliers are thrown into the mix?"

Free App Calendar has Fast Food Nation if you long for the good old days of virtual minimum wage (http://www.freeappcalendar.com/details.php?id=280).

"Become a kitchen fast food master with Fast Food Nation. Customize your character and follow him to his rise to fame! Master all the elements: ads, menu prices, ingredients, size and look of your kitchen. Be aware of the day's goal and try to make your customers happy!"

I've been enjoying Dungeon Solitaire which was free yesterday. I'm not sure if it still is, but it's worth checking. It's a solitaire game, so there's a lot of luck, but strategy too. A fun time killer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back