Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']my DSi for a 3rd Gen iPod Touch worth it ?[/QUOTE]

Maybe for you. A new ipod touch 3G runs 299, a new dsi is 169.... Not a fair trade at all.

I will once you stop talking like a complete idiot and have some manners for once

Luxor is great I bought it way back then when it wasn't free, get it everyone

[quote name='gamercheap5']Mitube - download youtube vids on Iphone free!
Previously only on Jailbroken Iphone. It got past through apple. Get it now before it gets yanked. Download youtube videos to Iphone.[/QUOTE]
Yanked.

[quote name='Dimsdale']Yanked.[/QUOTE]

Woo, got it. That was close. I would just use MxTube, but it's not compatible with 4.0 on yet.

What's with Apple and the app store? From the flashlight tethering app to this, it seems like they're just getting lazy.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']my DSi for a 3rd Gen iPod Touch worth it ?[/QUOTE]I vote yes if you're OK with giving up the Nintendo exclusives. In my opinion no third party collection can keep up with the constant barrage of excellence (ignoring the crap) on the iPod.

[quote name='iowaholdem']I vote yes if you're OK with giving up the Nintendo exclusives. In my opinion no third party collection can keep up with the constant barrage of excellence (ignoring the crap) on the iPod.[/QUOTE]

My 70 DS games (and counting) disagree with your opinion. But I would wager that we look for different things in portable games.

Marine Sharpshooter is the new Free App a Day feature (http://www.freeappaday.com/napp.php?id=296).

"You are a Marine Sharpshooter, a member of an elite American military force waging a silent war against terror across the globe. Dropped behind enemy lines, you must uncover and dismantle an elaborate terrorist plot to launch a series of coordinated attacks around the world. Your mission will take you from hidden outposts in desert cities to full scale military bases. Make every shot count, your country and the free world is depending on you. Remember your mantra: 'One shot, one kill.' "

I traded my DSi recently to get my ipod touch. Quite frankly I don't miss it at all. Its not embarrassing to be seen in public playing a game on my ipod, I can keep my 90+ games with me at all times, the ipod is fully compatible with all forms of wifi security (something the ds totally fails at when it comes to multiplayer, you can only play on unsecured wireless networks), the browser is awesome on my ipod, also room for tons of music photos and videos. At the end of the day paying .99 cents to 4.99 for games is waaaaay more appealing than 20-30 dollars a pop for retail games and 2-10 dollars for crappy digital ones. Not to mention if you are patient you can get all kind of free games for ipod. A touch is small sleek, and fits in your pocket, DS is big and bulky, and you have to carry around games. The biggest thing for me though, is that I don't feel like im playing with a fucking kids toy when I'm out in public. Sure the ds has some amazing games on it, but quite frankly, as a portable gaming device, I will never look back from the ipod/iphone unless sony and nintendo can put something out that has the same small form factor, and excellent digital store (which they wont until they really start feeling the pressure apple has already been putting on them).

[quote name='jamesesdad']Its not embarrassing to be seen in public playing a game on my ipod, I can keep my 90+ games with me at all times[/QUOTE]

This.

I have both a PSP and an NDS... and I treat them as bed side gaming devices... sorta defeats their portability purpose. Though, my iPhone 4 is making them collect dust too.

About 30-45 minutes into Hero of Sparta II and it is excellent. The thing that really stands out is the graphics. They look very good especially compared to the first game. I don't know how much it has to do with the retune display but it looks great. The gameplay is more or less the same as the first with a few things added here and there. Pretty damn good GoW clone.

I'm a man. I'll play DS or PSP games on the subway or bus if I want to (even better that they have a wriststrap so no one can just rip it from my hands). I'll take my top 10 DS or PSP games over every iPhone/iTouch game released to date.

[quote name='Hostile']I'm a man. I'll play DS or PSP games on the subway or bus if I want to (even better that they have a wriststrap so no one can just rip it from my hands). I'll take my top 10 DS or PSP games over every iPhone/iTouch game released to date.[/QUOTE]

This. I actually care about the games I pay on my PSP and DS. iPhone/iTouch is just for distraction or support of indies.

Free App Calendar is featuring Go! Go! Soccer today (http://www.freeappcalendar.com/details.php?id=297).

"In Go! Go! Soccer, you guide a footballer, intent on finding the best path to the goal, whilst avoiding rivals coming from all sides, determined to stop you!

Tilt your device to dribble them. Use the sprint in hard situations, but watch your stamina or you´ll get caught! Pick-up and use items and Power Ups like a "Mario Star" and if you see a team mate pass the ball!

Laugh with pleasure as you stamp on your rivals and live the excitement of dodging dangers on the go: The Fun of Soccer!"

Asteroid Hunter! is also FREE for today (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/asteroid-hunter/id379832927?mt=8).

"Have you ever thought about asteroids? How dangerous they are? They are hiding among the shadows of the deep space... Waiting for your space ship... They should be destroyed!

Shoot'em all! Eliminate asteroids and defend space ships in a new cool arcade!

Note on gameplay: Shooting asteroids is very simple, just use your fingers to make series of shots!"

[quote name='Fire_Thief']I bought Frogatto as well. It's a good retro style platformer.[/QUOTE]
Was it on sale? If not, why are you posting about it? This thread is for sales/deals, it's right in the subject line.

[quote name='jamesesdad']I traded my DSi recently to get my ipod touch. Quite frankly I don't miss it at all. Its not embarrassing to be seen in public playing a game on my ipod, I can keep my 90+ games with me at all times, the ipod is fully compatible with all forms of wifi security (something the ds totally fails at when it comes to multiplayer, you can only play on unsecured wireless networks), the browser is awesome on my ipod, also room for tons of music photos and videos. At the end of the day paying .99 cents to 4.99 for games is waaaaay more appealing than 20-30 dollars a pop for retail games and 2-10 dollars for crappy digital ones. Not to mention if you are patient you can get all kind of free games for ipod. A touch is small sleek, and fits in your pocket, DS is big and bulky, and you have to carry around games. The biggest thing for me though, is that I don't feel like im playing with a fucking kids toy when I'm out in public. Sure the ds has some amazing games on it, but quite frankly, as a portable gaming device, I will never look back from the ipod/iphone unless sony and nintendo can put something out that has the same small form factor, and excellent digital store (which they wont until they really start feeling the pressure apple has already been putting on them).[/QUOTE]

If you feel embarrassed playing a DS or PSP in public, I don't really know what to say. The problem lies squarely on you, in that case.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']This. I actually care about the games I pay on my PSP and DS. iPhone/iTouch is just for distraction or support of indies.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I love my iphone but I really can't play for more that 15 minutes on it, I get bored no matter the game and my big hands get tired. I like to play a level or two of plants vs zombies, a game of FIFA or a round of Tilt to Live but on my DS I can play hours of Pokemon or Zelda.

When you download the app, is the file tied to your account or is it the same for everyone?

What I mean is, I downloaded mitube on my phone but dont have it on a pc, could someone just send it to me and it will work since my account has it in my download history?

I really need to sync for vacation and want to know if im going to lose it or if i can remedy this

What's the problem with playing a DS or PSP outside? Don't be so beta. I haven't found too much on the app store that really interests me and I'm not into the whole touch only gameplay. There's some good stuff here and there but the iPod is best left a music/video playing device. For me the games are no where near close to matching up on what's on the DS and PSP, bring on the 3DS!

[quote name='jacknicklson']When you download the app, is the file tied to your account or is it the same for everyone?

What I mean is, I downloaded mitube on my phone but dont have it on a pc, could someone just send it to me and it will work since my account has it in my download history?

I really need to sync for vacation and want to know if im going to lose it or if i can remedy this[/QUOTE]

When you sync it, itunes copies anything downloaded on your phone to your PC. No, someone can't just send you the app file for it to work on your phone.

[quote name='eliter1']Agreed. I love my iphone but I really can't play for more that 15 minutes on it, I get bored no matter the game and my big hands get tired. I like to play a level or two of plants vs zombies, a game of FIFA or a round of Tilt to Live but on my DS I can play hours of Pokemon or Zelda.[/QUOTE]

The best is to get an Ipad with your Iphone. You can play the big screen version when your home (much easier with big hands and eassier on you eyes as well) and complement that with your iphone ability to by so mobile. Whats best is you pay once and can have a game on both devices.

[quote name='Unstopabull']The best is to get an Ipad with your Iphone. You can play the big screen version when your home (much easier with big hands and eassier on you eyes as well) and complement that with your iphone ability to by so mobile. Whats best is you pay once and can have a game on both devices.[/QUOTE]
do you work for apple?

[quote name='farmecologist']Guys could we stick to discussing iPhone sales here and not digress into a iPhone vs DS/PSP debate?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I had to post my input on the matter before we could move back on topic

[quote name='Vegan']If you feel embarrassed playing a DS or PSP in public, I don't really know what to say. The problem lies squarely on you, in that case.[/QUOTE]

Well as an adult male its embarrassing to be seen playing with children's toys, which is what the DS and PSP currently look like. It is a problem FOR ME, I never said everyone had to feel like I do, but I really doubt I'm the only person who feels this way.

and to everyone else who acts like there are no 'real' or 'hardcore' gaming experiences that last outside of five minutes let me direct you to Civ revolution, Super Quick hook, Phoenix Wright, plants vs zombies, spider: secret of bryce manor, Gta Chinatown wars, both monkey island games, chaos rings, puzzle quest, and the list could go on. Having all these good games in one place (and not having to carry around a case for games), with a browser, and a competent media player, along with all the other apps makes the ds and the psp seem quaint in comparison. If you prefer the psp and ds games to whats available on the ipod, thats fine, but thats also just your opinion as I have mine.

Whats not an opinion however is if you look at the DS and the psp games released since january, it becomes clear there have been 1-2 good games for each console. Pokemon and dragon quest (2 remakes of incredibly antiquated games) on the ds, and metal gear for the psp is about all that has come out for either system in the last 8 months to score over an 85 on metacritic. Quite frankly, the amount of quality content coming out for the iphone/ipod is staggering in comparison. Furthermore the price discrepency (Even for digital games) on either platform is a pretty big advantage the idevices have over the competition. Developers update their games at a frequent pace as well, fixing bugs, and adding new content, something that barely ever happens on either the ds or psp.

Last edited by a moderator:
The biggest thing holding the iPhone out of being a serious contender in portable gaming is the controller. If we ever see a controller accessory come out that gets game support then hands down the iPhone would have serious potential to outpace both the psp and ds. Ell at that point the only thing the psp and ds will have going for it is first party titles. Most third parties are already experimenting with the iPhone.

[quote name='jamesesdad']Well as an adult male its embarrassing to be seen playing with children's toys, which is what the DS and PSP currently look like. It is a problem FOR ME, I never said everyone had to feel like I do, but I really doubt I'm the only person who feels this way.
[/QUOTE]

Nah I feel the same, I have a professional job. If I whip out a DS during down time, everyone KNOWS I am screwing around. If I use my iphone, well who the hell really knows what I am up to. Probably reviewing some TPS reports...:cool:

Quick, look at the top of the thread...it says:

"iPhone and iPod Touch Games -- Ongoing Sales"

Holy crapbox!!! I had NO idea!!! I thought this was the "But I digress" discussion thread!

Just fuckin' with ya, guys! As you were...

Quick question because I am ignorant haha...

My laptop (which holds ALL my music and backup itunes files) is currently broken. It can turn on, but the graphics card is on the fritz, so shortly after powered on, it'll go black..so i can't see anything.

Well, my dad recently got a new computer and has itunes on it and i desperately want to upgrade my 3g iTouch to 4.0 software.

Well, i have already authorized 5 computers and can't get to one to deauthorize one, so i can authorize my dad's (to import my "in-itouch" purchases and such)

My question is...can i upgrade to 4.0 using my dad's computer without itunes deleting or doing anything to the files already on my device? I'm just worried about losing something because i don't know when my computer will get fixed

[quote name='jcp42877']Quick question because I am ignorant haha...

My laptop (which holds ALL my music and backup itunes files) is currently broken. It can turn on, but the graphics card is on the fritz, so shortly after powered on, it'll go black..so i can't see anything.

Well, my dad recently got a new computer and has itunes on it and i desperately want to upgrade my 3g iTouch to 4.0 software.

Well, i have already authorized 5 computers and can't get to one to deauthorize one, so i can authorize my dad's (to import my "in-itouch" purchases and such)

My question is...can i upgrade to 4.0 using my dad's computer without itunes deleting or doing anything to the files already on my device? I'm just worried about losing something because i don't know when my computer will get fixed[/QUOTE]
Well i upgraded my touch to 4.0 at a friends house and it deleted everything on my ipod, had to use my computer to get everything back on it.

To Deauthorize All Computers:
If you find you have reached 5 authorizations, you can reset your authorization count by clicking Deauthorize All in the Account Information screen.
  1. Click iTunes Store in the menu on the left side of iTunes.
  2. If you're not signed in to the store, click the Account button, then enter your account name and password.
  3. Click the Account button again (your ID appears on the button), enter your password, and then click View Account.
  4. In the Account Information window, click Deauthorize All.
Note: You may only use this feature once per year. The Deauthorize All button will not appear if you have fewer than 5 authorized computers, or if you have used this option within the last 12 months. If you need assistance on using this feature, please contact the iTunes Store support via email (http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/ww/).

[quote name='Unstopabull']The best is to get an Ipad with your Iphone. You can play the big screen version when your home (much easier with big hands and eassier on you eyes as well) and complement that with your iphone ability to by so mobile. Whats best is you pay once and can have a game on both devices.[/QUOTE]

I really do not see myself playing any game on the iphon/ipad/ipod touch more than 15 minutes, maybe Plants vs Zombies but that's an exception. The ipad kinda sucks for playing iphone games. My university library checks them out and I tired a few on there and they were terrible. I would need to buy the ipad version in most cases and I would need to buy an ipad which I really do not see myself doing since I think it's an over sized ipod.

[quote name='erectiontown']do you work for apple?[/QUOTE]
My thoughts exactly...

DS vs iphone discussion aside, anyone here have any thoughts on Family Guy: Uncensored?

My thoughts on Family Guy in general are pretty negative. So 10 years ago. South Park was 100% spot-on about that show.

Jump O'clock is Free App a Day's featured game for the day
http://appshopper.com/games/jump-oclock

410289.png

"Playing Jump O'Clock can lead to severely extended sessions of gameplay! Take control of the lovable steampunk robot LE0 and jump from gear to gear while avoiding hazards in an endless upward world. Collect bolts to fill your SUPER-JUMP METER, and BOOST the height of your jumps. Timing is crucial to keep from winding up on the wrong side of the razor-sharp teeth, scalding steam, electrified wires or broken pipes. Connect to OpenFeint and compete for the dizzying heights of high-score greatness. If you've got time, Jump O'Clock has your challenge - an endless platform adventure which never plays the same twice. Why try and beat a clock when you can JUMP O'CLOCK?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back