Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
so skate it on iphone 4 is totally broken or what? i want to bite for $1 but if it's broken and ea isn't good about fixing things, i might as well pass.

[quote name='ocu']You got me all excited for nothing!!! Arrrggg just for ipad.[/QUOTE]
Dungeon Hunter (iPhone) goes on sale every couple of months. Be patient and keep an eye out, and you'll get it for $0.99.
Did you know appshopper has a "wishlist" feature that makes it easy to keep track of the apps you want, and their fluctuations in price? Pretty handy. I was bummed to find out about Buster Red (non-ad supported) right after it stopped being free. Added it to my list, and saw a few days later it was back to being free! :)

Several Price Drops and freebies

Tunnel Shoot is free today only!

449570.png

http://appshopper.com/games/tunnel-shoot

"***FREE FOR A DAY***NOW TRY THE CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED TUNNEL SHOOT FOR FREE FOR A VERY LIMITED TIME (THIS OFFER WILL END TOMORROW)! Updated HD graphics for new iPhone 4 and iPad! Get ready for adrenaline filled, heart-pumping action! TUNNEL SHOOT is the latest game from Backflip Studios (RAGDOLL BLASTER, PAPER TOSS, and STRIKE KNIGHT) developed in partnership with Team Phobic (BOUNCE ON)."

Scrabble is on sale for 1.99 for back to school weekend

815117.png

http://appshopper.com/games/scrabble

"** SAVE UP TO 80% DURING THE BACK TO SCHOOL SALE **
Play America's favorite word game -- ANYTIME ANYWHERE! Whether you connect with friends and play up to 25 games at a time, or savor a game solo, wordplay fun is always at your fingertips.
"

The recently released Sim City Deluxe is also on sale for 4.99 down from 6.99

017992.png

http://appshopper.com/games/simcity-deluxe

surprising since this game hasn't been out for a full week even.

Rock Band

307161.png

http://appshopper.com/games/rock-band

JAM-PACKED WITH 30 FREE SONGS – WITH MORE MUSIC ADDED ALL THE TIME! Featuring the most rock ‘n’ roll hits on the App Store, tracks are preloaded or ready for download AT NO ADDITIONAL PRICE! Rock out solo or with friends on guitar, bass, drums, or vocals. See why MSNBC says ROCK BAND is “one of the best iPhone® and iPod touch® games of the year.”"

Luc Bernard's latest game Steam Pirates is free today

068498.png

http://appshopper.com/games/steam-pirates

"Steam Pirates appeals to the casual gamer and the long-time hardcore gamer alike with its traditional turn-based RPG battle system and emphasis on exploration broken up by platforming elements and various addicting mini-games. As the player you will struggle in battles against an army of cats and robots and take part in dramatic ship battles. "

Fastar is back on sale again, apparently because the developers were happy with sales!

072963.png

http://appshopper.com/games/fastar

--- Continuing "We're happy with sales" sale! 50% off! ---

Action and Role-Playing in their purest, gleefulest form!

"Fastar! is the timeless tale of a boy with a big sword and a bowtie journeying across vast lands while being ambushed by malicious geometry. Wait, what, seriously? I'm not typing that, it doesn't make any sense. Oh, look what you made me do. I'll just start over."

Oh my god I cant believe civ revolution is free. I have been waiting for a sale on it for a while. Since its like 7 bucks normally I never would have assumed it would go free. I thought free app a day mostly just featured games from indy devs. TOTALLY AWESOME!

Civ Rev is free? Seriously? Damn, I paid $5 a while back - free is a great value for that game. The interface is a little clunky, but it's not bad for the iPhone real-estate.

Grabbed Asphalt 5 for $0.99...needless to say, great deal.

This is the first racing game I've bought for my iTouch and it delivers in every way I'd want it to.

Glad I passed on all the other expensive racers for a while to grab this one for a buck!

I read this post daily and rarely post but good looking out Skram. I can't believe it dropped to free either. I'd a happily paid 2-3 bucks and kept quiet. Thanks again! Thanks to everyone who contributes to this post! It doesn't get said enough.

Doesn't get any better than free. From what I understand, Civ Rev on iOS is exactly the same game as it is on DS, PS3, and 360.

Several Price Drops and freebies
******made some updates to reflect recent drops thanks to skram for info on civ rev!!!! you are the man****

Civilization Revolution is todays tomorrows free app a day, but was submitted today as free!!!

563544.png

http://appshopper.com/games/civilization-revolution

"Build. Discover. Conquer. Rule the World!

Lead your civilization from the dawn of man to the modern age and beyond in Sid Meier’s Civilization Revolution. Go head to head with history’s greatest leaders as you wage war, conduct diplomacy, discover new technologies, inspire your nation and build the most powerful empire the world has ever known."

Aqua Moto Racing 2 was just released july 27, and is on sale for 2.99!!! check out the demo, i loved it, 3 bucks is a steal, and a universal, and retina display update is en route.

255483.png

http://appshopper.com/games/aqua-moto-racing-2

"=====================================
SUMMER FRENZY SALE - Now 40% Off
Hurry up and get Aqua Moto Racing 2!!!
=====================================

Resolution Interactive is proud to present the sequel to it's widely popular and critically acclaimed Aqua Moto Racing.

Aqua Moto Racing 2 offers great water racing with some of the best graphics seen on the iPhone platform. With state of the art wave physics this game truly has to be seen to be believed.

Race in exotic world locations with amazing details set in the Tropics, Greece and Egypt. Start earning cash by participating in races and winning Championships and spend them on better JetSkis. Unlock new Championhips and Achievements on your quest for Legendary Status"

Tunnel Shoot is free today only!

449570.png

http://appshopper.com/games/tunnel-shoot

"***FREE FOR A DAY***NOW TRY THE CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED TUNNEL SHOOT FOR FREE FOR A VERY LIMITED TIME (THIS OFFER WILL END TOMORROW)! Updated HD graphics for new iPhone 4 and iPad! Get ready for adrenaline filled, heart-pumping action! TUNNEL SHOOT is the latest game from Backflip Studios (RAGDOLL BLASTER, PAPER TOSS, and STRIKE KNIGHT) developed in partnership with Team Phobic (BOUNCE ON)."

Scrabble is on sale for 1.99 for back to school weekend

815117.png

http://appshopper.com/games/scrabble

Play America's favorite word game -- ANYTIME ANYWHERE! Whether you connect with friends and play up to 25 games at a time, or savor a game solo, wordplay fun is always at your fingertips.
"

The recently released Sim City Deluxe is also on sale for 4.99 down from 6.99

017992.png

http://appshopper.com/games/simcity-deluxe

surprising since this game hasn't been out for a full week even.

Rock Band

307161.png

http://appshopper.com/games/rock-band

JAM-PACKED WITH 30 FREE SONGS – WITH MORE MUSIC ADDED ALL THE TIME! Featuring the most rock ‘n’ roll hits on the App Store, tracks are preloaded or ready for download AT NO ADDITIONAL PRICE! Rock out solo or with friends on guitar, bass, drums, or vocals. See why MSNBC says ROCK BAND is “one of the best iPhone® and iPod touch® games of the year.”"

Luc Bernard's latest game Steam Pirates is free today

068498.png

http://appshopper.com/games/steam-pirates

"Steam Pirates appeals to the casual gamer and the long-time hardcore gamer alike with its traditional turn-based RPG battle system and emphasis on exploration broken up by platforming elements and various addicting mini-games. As the player you will struggle in battles against an army of cats and robots and take part in dramatic ship battles. "

Fastar is back on sale again, apparently because the developers were happy with sales!

072963.png

http://appshopper.com/games/fastar

--- Continuing "We're happy with sales" sale! 50% off! ---

Action and Role-Playing in their purest, gleefulest form!

"Fastar! is the timeless tale of a boy with a big sword and a bowtie journeying across vast lands while being ambushed by malicious geometry. Wait, what, seriously? I'm not typing that, it doesn't make any sense. Oh, look what you made me do. I'll just start over."

[quote name='ViolentLee']Dungeon Hunter (iPhone) goes on sale every couple of months. Be patient and keep an eye out, and you'll get it for $0.99.
Did you know appshopper has a "wishlist" feature that makes it easy to keep track of the apps you want, and their fluctuations in price? Pretty handy. I was bummed to find out about Buster Red (non-ad supported) right after it stopped being free. Added it to my list, and saw a few days later it was back to being free! :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to set up a wish list. I am an extreme CAG, still waiting for a PvZ price drop and hardly every pay regular price for stuff.

I tried the Demo of Dungeon Hunter and have been wanting it ever since! Great game.

[quote name='ocu']Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to set up a wish list. I am an extreme CAG, still waiting for a PvZ price drop and hardly every pay regular price for stuff.

I tried the Demo of Dungeon Hunter and have been wanting it ever since! Great game.[/QUOTE]

good luck on that. pvz will most likely not get any cheaper than it already is. at 2.99 its a hell of a deal. It has had no price drops since it launched and has stayed on the top 50 paid apps for a while. You might see a temporary drop on the ipad version at some point, but I really don't see this going bellow 3 bucks.

[quote name='Skram']Civ Rev is free for a limited time only thanks to FAAD.[/QUOTE]

this is just awesome!
An official and full civ game in the palm of my hands :)

Can anyone please help me?

I just got an iphone 4 and I cant transfer any of my apps from itunes. Here's what I did, I sync my old iphone 3gs and transfer all the apps to my computer. Then, I connect the iphone 4 to the computer and chose "restore from my phone". Now all the settings are the same, I logged in to apple account on my iphone 4 but when I try to sync the apps I can't click the check box. How should I do this? Thank you in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='$hady']Damn I'm at work and can't get on any wifi or iTunes to download Civ Rev till 7am. Is it still free tomorrow?[/QUOTE]

It should be, the free game is suppose to start on August 07.

Yup Civ Revolution is working and free all day as promised, I figured it would be my luck that it would end at 3am or something. Thanks to everyone who posts all these everyday. :D

I usually just lurk this thread daily at my house and never give wifi a thought. Wasn't aware jailbreaking allowed you to remove the 3G size restrictions of downloads. I've got a iPhone 4 and never even jailbroke my 3GS...

Total crap. A previously "free" app (Balance Solitaire) just had an update so I applied it and it made the app not free anymore. A window popped up and said I can launch the full version 3 times and then I'd have to pay to continue. Have you heard this happening before? Total crap.

[quote name='javeryh']Total crap. A previously "free" app (Balance Solitaire) just had an update so I applied it and it made the app not free anymore. A window popped up and said I can launch the full version 3 times and then I'd have to pay to continue. Have you heard this happening before? Total crap.[/QUOTE]

I've seen it happen a couple times. The devs for Shazam turned their free app into a paid app. Anyone that downloaded it before a cetain time period gets to keep the free app, but after that certain date, you are only allowed 5 matches a month unless you pay for the premium version.

In the Android market, I had paid a buck for an app and a couple months later, the dev stated that everyone has to shell out 3 bucks for a license to be able to stream the content that was previously free after the intial purchase or you couldn't use your paid app any longer.

Not quite the exact same thing as your issue, but stories of devs changing the way they do things after downloading non the less.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']There already was a FAAD app. What makes this one different?[/QUOTE]

No clue. Maybe this was the app they had all along and since it was the first time I had heard they had an app, I posted it since it was new to me and I figured it would be new to others as well. =shrug=

man, I love when apps go on sale, but I hate when apps go free that I paid for. civilization is a perfect example, I paid $5 for it, now it's free. granted it's 7 months since I bought it, but still. it can be frustrating sometimes with the app store price fluxuations.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']man, I love when apps go on sale, but I hate when apps go free that I paid for. civilization is a perfect example, I paid $5 for it, now it's free. granted it's 7 months since I bought it, but still. it can be frustrating sometimes with the app store price fluxuations.[/QUOTE]
Everything in the market has price fluctuations (from video games and electronics to food, housing, etc.). Software is no exception, so I don't see why people get annoyed with app price fluctuations.

I bought lots of apps today!

The Hero 2nd Edition - This is a fun original action game. Lots of levels and mini games. Exclusive to this platform. 99 cents on sale. Get it now.

Fastar! - A weird ass RPG... but it's cracked the top 100! Pick it up now... 99 cents.

Bejeweled 2 - $3. This one is a must have. I'm gonna go for Peggle next.

[quote name='ivanwijaya']Can anyone please help me?

I just got an iphone 4 and I cant transfer any of my apps from itunes. Here's what I did, I sync my old iphone 3gs and transfer all the apps to my computer. Then, I connect the iphone 4 to the computer and chose "restore from my phone". Now all the settings are the same, I logged in to apple account on my iphone 4 but when I try to sync the apps I can't click the check box. How should I do this? Thank you in advance[/QUOTE]

All I can say is avoid restoring. That basically resets everything to default. Apple words things like crap. I imagine if you do what you think makes sense and sort of ignore the wording on pop-ups, you have a good shot at doing what you'd hoped.

In the previous thread, I posted something about setting some sort of criteria for "premium" apps that would seriously help give the consumer confidence when paying for higher priced apps. A set of rules saying no adds, no price drops below X for X amount of time, minimum gameplay (no beat story mode in 5 minutes), etc... I doubt Apple would ever adopt something like that, but it would be a excellent way to feature premium games, and a submission fee could pay for everything (and show the developers are serious about their product). This could be implemented as an additional category or the like to feature the content and hypothetically would bring in more interest from major developers since it would be a way to further separate their apps from some of the crap out there.

Having said that, I really, really do not like some of the practices developers have taken to. I have a long series of apps I haven't updated simply because I do not know what it will do to the game. Adding adds to paid apps is common, as has been mentioned it can go beyond that, they can entirely remove functionality. Another thing I see from time to time is having a paid app, then creating a new almost identical paid app. I really wish there were more ethics because you never know what might happen to something you buy.

The only thing I don't really have a problem with is when a game becomes free. Provided the product you purchased doesn't change, then you don't actually lose anything. It's a far greater loss to see a game you paid $60 on sale for $5 than it is to see a game you paid .99 cents for, for free. Having said that, if they did ever implement a premium games system this could give consumers worried about this additional confidence.

[quote name='cycophuk']I've seen it happen a couple times. The devs for Shazam turned their free app into a paid app. Anyone that downloaded it before a cetain time period gets to keep the free app, but after that certain date, you are only allowed 5 matches a month unless you pay for the premium version.
[/QUOTE]

When I upgraded to my iPhone 4, Shazam started popping up the nag screen about the 5 matches even though I downloaded it when we were supposed to have it free for life. I need to email them and see what is going on.

Ramstoria - I love it when games you paid for go free. The more the better, I say! ;) Just kidding, but I have to say that getting Civ for free is great. :)

[quote name='crunchewy']Ramstoria - I love it when games you paid for go free. The more the better, I say! ;) Just kidding, but I have to say that getting Civ for free is great. :)[/QUOTE]

Yep, always sucks, I try not to pay more than $0.99 for any app, because history shows that eventually most all apps drop to FREE or at the very least $0.99 some time down the road. Not every app but a majority of the ones I have bought dropped to free within 3 months of me purchasing it.

The next featured FAAD freebie will be Disc Pool (http://itunes.apple.com/app/disc-pool/id359839935?mt=8).

"There is hours of challenging gameplay with 3 different pool modes:

- DISC POOL SCHOOL - over 100 tricky levels waiting to be solved.
- COMPUTER PLAYERS – play against 3 different computer opponents of varying difficulty levels.
- PLAY AGAINST FRIENDS – challenge your friends and play each other on the same device.

Other Features:
- Global high scores list
- 3D view - help line up your shots more accurately
- Statistics
- Advanced game physics replicates online gameplay
- Hours of exciting gameplay"

[quote name='107proof']Yep, always sucks, I try not to pay more than $0.99 for any app, because history shows that eventually most all apps drop to FREE or at the very least $0.99 some time down the road. Not every app but a majority of the ones I have bought dropped to free within 3 months of me purchasing it.[/QUOTE]

We have to remember these app devs are trying to make a living making things we love. I appreciate free apps a lot, but I also try to support these guys. Using Balance Solitaire as an example, i got it for free, dug it, then paid $0.99 tp upgrade. I'd do the same with iassociate2 if they made DLC more reasonable.

I'm never upset when something I bought went free. I'm sure the opposite has happened just as often, and what's a buck or two?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back