Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone recommend a GOOD tower defense game similiar to TD Free? That games fun but always crashes!!

Kinda off topic but TD free came from this thread a few days back. :D

Got Civ Rev.
I have lowered my iPhone game price limit from $2.99 to $.99 to now Free. :)
There are so many stuffs going for free that I won't have time to play them all anyway.

[quote name='caltab']critical wave, a geometry warsish game, is free today[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I tried it and it's kind of fun but I just don't think the iPhone is suited for anything to do with a control pad/analog sticks. Every time I died was because of input failure.

[quote name='$hady']Anyone recommend a GOOD tower defense game similiar to TD Free? That games fun but always crashes!!

Kinda off topic but TD free came from this thread a few days back. :D[/QUOTE]

I always find myself going back to Fieldrunners... Though not free, I think it fits the "GOOD" tower defense requirement. :)

[quote name='javeryh']Thanks. I tried it and it's kind of fun but I just don't think the iPhone is suited for anything to do with a control pad/analog sticks. Every time I died was because of input failure.[/QUOTE]

I generally feel the same way. Even more so with virtual D-pads. The only exception I have found is minigore. There have been very few instances in that game where I felt like death was due to poor controls, which is mostly due to the game being tuned for the iphone specifically. The playable characters and enemies all move a little bit slower than in most other dual stick shooters, but not so much to be boring. I find this to be an acceptable middle ground, in the same way the original halo was slowed down in movement speed to account for analog stick control instead of the responsiveness and accuracy of mouse and keyboard. While mingore lacks a lot of depth, the controls are excellent, and the new dlc coming soon looks sick!

Frash for iPhone 4 is out and it works!!!!!!!!!!! FLASH BITCHES!!!!

Wgu7c.jpg

[quote name='XClaude']I always find myself going back to Fieldrunners... Though not free, I think it fits the "GOOD" tower defense requirement. :)[/QUOTE]

I have no problem paying for good games. Alot of freebies i'll play a couple times then delete anyway. I watched a couple videos and it looked good so I bit at $2.99. Thanks for the suggestion I play about 2 hours on breaks last night at work, I likes! :applause:

Grabbed Frogatto at $.99 as well but yet to try it...

Nice on the flash, have fun jailbroken iPhones!

[quote name='Malik112099']Frash for iPhone 4 is out and it works!!!!!!!!!!! FLASH BITCHES!!!!

[/QUOTE]

We need a jailbreak thread to separate this stuff. I'm hoping someone slips flash into a flashlight app or something and I can grab it before Apple pulls it.

[quote name='$hady']I have no problem paying for good games. Alot of freebies i'll play a couple times then delete anyway. I watched a couple videos and it looked good so I bit at $2.99. Thanks for the suggestion I play about 2 hours on breaks last night at work, I likes! :applause:

Grabbed Frogatto at $.99 as well but yet to try it...

Nice on the flash, have fun jailbroken iPhones![/QUOTE]

Tower madness is probably my all-time favorite tower defense game. The free version is quite robust and is a no brainer for any TD fan. Also, both geo defense games are quite good.

[quote name='lilman']Everything in the market has price fluctuations (from video games and electronics to food, housing, etc.). Software is no exception, so I don't see why people get annoyed with app price fluctuations.[/QUOTE]

the problem is a lot of time theres no rhyme or reason with the price fluctuations. i mean, look at trivial pursuit (just pulled an app from app shopper). this year its gone from 4.99 to 2.99 to 4.99 to 2.99 to 4.99 to 2.99 to 4.99 to 2.99 to 4.99 to .99 to 2.99 to 4.99 to 1.99.

i mean cmon, thats 12 changes so far this year, 6 times in june alone. it doesnt make for confident shopping.

[quote name='crunchewy']Ramstoria - I love it when games you paid for go free. The more the better, I say! ;) Just kidding, but I have to say that getting Civ for free is great. :)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='107proof']Yep, always sucks, I try not to pay more than $0.99 for any app, because history shows that eventually most all apps drop to FREE or at the very least $0.99 some time down the road. Not every app but a majority of the ones I have bought dropped to free within 3 months of me purchasing it.[/QUOTE]

i agree, i love being able to grab games for free. im just saying that it undermines the market. a game comes out and you really want to buy it, but you dont know if its going to be half price in a month or free in 6. maybe theres an introductory price and its gonna be more in a week, but in a few months itll be even cheaper than the introductory price.

anyway, World Series of Poker Hold 'Em Legend is free. (good thing i didnt pay $6.99 when it came out, or 4.99 or 2.99 or .99 then back to 2.99 and again .99).

http://appshopper.com/games/world-series-of-poker-hold’em-legend

Civ Revolution was listed as free, but my friend I told about it got charged 1$. I think they might of charged me also. :/ What to do?

Edit: False alarm, seems like it was a verify charge my friend had. And my account seems fine too. Thanks for telling me where the purchase history is Connman.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Daichi']Civ Revolution was listed as free, but my friend I told about it got charged 1$. I think they might of charged me also. :/ What to do?[/QUOTE]
Go to iTunes >>> Account >>> Purchase History >>> find Civ and you'll see a button that says "Report A Problem." Then just explain to them what happened and they should refund the purchase. If you haven't done this before it should almost surely work.

Also, where the hell is Dimsdale?

[quote name='Malik112099']Good stuff!

God i wish redlynx would come out with a trials game for the iphone![/QUOTE]

Trials HD is easily one of my most played games on XBLA. that being said, I have played the original Trials for pc, and is sucks terribly in comparison. Because of this I really doubt the iphone/ipod could pull of the extremely precise controls needed for that game. Playing hard and expert levels on a touch screen would be a nightmare.

Pulse News Mini is currently on sale for just 99 cents. I know a paid rss reader may be hard for some to swallow, but its a really nice interface, and makes browsing all your daily news sites a breeze. I totally think its worth the buck

594176.png

http://appshopper.com/news/pulse-news-mini

"@earlybird EXCLUSIVE - 50% off on Pulse News Reader for all platforms - iPhone, iPad & Android. Grab your copy NOW!

Featured in Apple's "New and noteworthy" and "What's Hot". Complete Retina Display Support

Pulse is a clean and visual news reader for your iPhone/iPod. It takes in upto 20 news sources that you follow, and creates a visual mosaic of your news. Tap on an article, and you're presented with a cleanly rendered view of the news story. Also featured in..."

Juggle Is todays free app from open feints free game a day. I have been interested in this for a while, it looks like really fun classic arcade action.

370889.png

http://appshopper.com/games/juggle-3

""JUGGLE! is a gloriously simple and entertaining game that is flawlessly executed. This is a definite must for iPhone gamers." ThePortableGamer.com

"JUGGLE! is just perfect for pulling out when you have a spare moment. Definitely worth adding to anyone's collection." 5/5 AppSpy.com

"The fact that the naturally habit-forming gameplay of JUGGLE! was married with OpenFeint Leaderboards is the key to its genius." 4/5 Square-Go.com

In collaboration with OpenFeint's Free Game of the Day, JUGGLE! is Free for TODAY only. Remember to download OpenFeint’s Game Spotlight App to get the Free Game of the Day every day! "

The puzzle platformer CatSpin is currently FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/catspin/id364015155?mt=8).
"Key features:
- A whole new concept of playing a platform game!
- Virtual buttons or Accelerometer controls!
- Online High Scores, Leaderboards and Friendslist through OpenFeint! Compete with players all over the world!
- Adventure and puzzle elements!
- 50 levels to unlock!
- Crisp and beautiful 2D graphics!
- Funky music and soundeffects!"

The OpenFeint Free Game of the Day is now Juggle! (http://itunes.apple.com/app/juggle/id376370889?mt=8).
"JUGGLE! is a heartfelt tribute to classic gaming. It's a trip back in time to the origins of arcade games that captures the 1970s vibe but is enriched by contemporary twists like Leaderboards and Achievements.

Use your paddle to bat balls into the air. The more balls you juggle, the more points you score. It's as simple as that."

[quote name='jamesesdad']Pulse News Mini is currently on sale for just 99 cents. I know a paid rss reader may be hard for some to swallow, but its a really nice interface, and makes browsing all your daily news sites a breeze. I totally think its worth the buck

594176.png

http://appshopper.com/news/pulse-news-mini

"@earlybird EXCLUSIVE - 50% off on Pulse News Reader for all platforms - iPhone, iPad & Android. Grab your copy NOW!

Featured in Apple's "New and noteworthy" and "What's Hot". Complete Retina Display Support

Pulse is a clean and visual news reader for your iPhone/iPod. It takes in upto 20 news sources that you follow, and creates a visual mosaic of your news. Tap on an article, and you're presented with a cleanly rendered view of the news story. Also featured in..."
[/QUOTE]

Got it for $1.99 and I really recommend it. It is really nice and better than having to jump from the engadget app to the joystick app to the TUAW app etc. Not to mention I can RSS a lot of sites that don't have apps such as CAG.

[quote name='ViolentLee']Saw that Hungry Shark 2 -- a game I never heard of -- made the iPhone sales charts. The original (Hungry Shark 1) is free, so you may want to check it out before taking the $0.99 "plunge" on the sequel. But apparently, Hungry Shark 2 has the original included in it!

Hungry Shark 1: http://appshopper.com/games/hungry-shark-part-1
Hungry Shark 2: http://appshopper.com/games/hungry-shark[/QUOTE]

Part 1 is pretty fun I have played it several times. Haven't spent the dollar for part 2 though. :D

[quote name='Malik112099']Wow. Madden 11 looks crazy on the iPhone 4. I can't believe this is on a fucking phone.[/QUOTE]

Did you buy it or just referring to screens? It looks pretty but i've never played a mobile football game seems controls would be rough.. I'll wait for a deal. ;)

[quote name='Malik112099']yeah, totally...unless you want to look at a site that uses it. Jackass.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, it does suck. And with Frash it sucks even more, except that it does have a click-to-flash thing built-in. That's the only good thing about it, pretty much - you can opt to not have the Flash stuff appear! And that's pretty much all you'll do with it, which begs the question: why did I install this? Trying to play Canabalt with Frash is a ludicrous exercise in frustration due to it being insanely slow. Not to mention flakey. Super Mario Crossover runs surprisingly well... well the title screen does. You can't actually do anything in the game because it has a keyboard interface! So far the only thing that works well with Frash are adverstisments, and even with those, "well" is being used relatively here. Do you know of any site that Frash does an even remotely half decent job with? And that isn't designed for a keyboard and mouse?

[quote name='apathylad']Konami posted that Castlevania Puzzle: Encore of the Night for iPhone/iPod Touch is just $1.99 for a limited time. Is the game any good?[/QUOTE]

Great if you like RPGs and such. You don't control the action, just play puzzles and level up. But its quite good, I hate match-3 puzzle games (once you play one, they are all the same), but the RPG-ish element to this Castlevania game and equipping weapons and raising stats makes it a lot of fun and addictive. Recommended if you liked Puzzle Quest or Sword & Poker, same concept, different puzzle types.

[quote name='crunchewy']Do you know of any site that Frash does an even remotely half decent job with? And that isn't designed for a keyboard and mouse?[/QUOTE]

Homestar Runner. Also this is a fucking PRE-ALPHA build. You know what that means, right?

[quote name='Fire_Thief']^ It means that it came before Flash was even in the mainstream.[/QUOTE]
Try prior to initial organized testing with a somewhat stabilized build. Also, thats in reference to Frash, not Flash. To each his own, but I wouldn't be interested in running anything pre-alpha on a phone that I rely on.

[quote name='Malik112099']You are the dumbest person.[/QUOTE]

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'm sorry, but I've never thought a simple and blunt statement would cause me to burst out laughing this hard. LOL

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']konami helps make my earlier point with this drop. its a tempting buy as im a big fan of puzzle quest.[/QUOTE]

So damn glad I didn't buy that right when it came out .. I was really tempted but I guess the moral of the story is, unless it's a Square-Enix game, don't buy it on day 1 ;)

Oh ... and I need to rant ... where the fuck is my iPhone version of Netflix!?!

Wasn't that promised as a summer release? And summer is quickly coming to a close ...

[quote name='bigwightdog']Try prior to initial organized testing with a somewhat stabilized build. Also, thats in reference to Frash, not Flash. To each his own, but I wouldn't be interested in running anything pre-alpha on a phone that I rely on.[/QUOTE]

the worst it can probably do is crash springboard which basically puts you in safe mode..no big deal really...plus with the sbsettings toggle you can turn it on/off at will

[quote name='etcrane']Oh ... and I need to rant ... where the fuck is my iPhone version of Netflix!?!

Wasn't that promised as a summer release? And summer is quickly coming to a close ...[/QUOTE]

there's a way to make the ipad version work with the iphone....google it ;)

[quote name='Malik112099']You are the dumbest person.[/QUOTE]
Be careful I think he is a police officer. He's retarded but still a police officer running around police officering all these games being cool kid on the short bus. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back