Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CONMAN999']Ok so this is a bit odd of a question but... On my iPod it says there is 88 MB of space yet when I try to download a 51 MB app it tells me there's no room and to delete some stuff. Can anyone tell me why exactly I need more space than the app entails. And secondly, what would be a rough estimate of how much space is needed?[/QUOTE]

Roughly double. I think it keeps some space to itself for the OS to use. So it wont let you use all of it to the exact amount. I know I ran into that problem when I was installing a navigation app on my iphone 3G. I had 2 gig free, and the nav app was 1.2 gig. It wouldnt let me. It said I didn.t have enough space. I dont know the exact math they use. But from my experience, you need at least double the amount you are trying to install. I could be completely wrong. But I am sure that there are two storage banks on your ipod/iphone. One is for the OS/system files, and the other is for the Apps/photos/music, etc. So part of your free space is in your OS partition and you cant touch this.

If your jailbroken there are several apps to help you free up space that you wouldnt normally be able to touch.

Hope this helps.

[quote name='Malik112099']veggie samurai is decent but it doesnt feel as polished as fruit ninja. It has a very rigid feeling to it like all of the veggies are actually veggie shaped rocks.[/QUOTE]

Hmm... interesting. I do however think the Veggie Samurai on the iphone, is better than the version on the Ipad. Way more game modes.

I wish Fruit Ninja HD would go on sale. Just for 1 day.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CONMAN999']Ok so this is a bit odd of a question but... On my iPod it says there is 88 MB of space yet when I try to download a 51 MB app it tells me there's no room and to delete some stuff. Can anyone tell me why exactly I need more space than the app entails. And secondly, what would be a rough estimate of how much space is needed?[/QUOTE]

I would estimate 88 mb. :p

A lot of apps I've seen show space usage that can be about 20% more (Number pulled completely out of my ass.) than just what appstore says. Compare app store sizes versus Itunes app size listings and you can see big difference.

Monster Dash is another great game by the makers of Fruit Ninja.

070561.png

I recommend it for $0.99

http://appshopper.com/games/monster-dash

[quote name='Ronin317']I'll second that. Monster Dash is fantastic for a quick game here and there. It's like canabalt with guns and zombies...[/QUOTE]

And still manages to make the guns all feel satisfying... despite that they all instant kill the mook enemies. Funny how that works. Also, it manages to run at the 99cent price Canabalt SHOULD have been at.

I can understand pushing up the cost curve for real games but it just feels insulting to see Canabalt run $3 and never drop and get praised for it.

Also, Zombie Highway is a decent $1 dropped. Really good iphone steering, smear zombies off your car or shoot them off. Pleasant diversion but not much else.

The fantasy RPG Palm Heroes has dropped to FREE for a very limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/palm-heroes/id324897774?mt=8#).

"Palm Heroes plunges you into the world full of exciting fantasy adventures and epic battles. Lead your own armies as a barbarian orc chief, a noble knight, a mighty wizard, a fast beautiful sorceress, a warlock, or a creepy undead necromancer! It’s you who decide how to rule towns and manage resources, how to train and improve your warriors.

As your kingdom grows and your heroes get more powerful, you will explore new areas, develop new skills, improve your magic power and meet different beasts to fight.

This game will keep you entertained for hours – always intriguing and challenging!"

Solitaire Twist Premium is currently available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/solitairetwist-premium/id370144338?mt=8).

"Solitaire Twist from iWin is a new take on an old favorite. The game ships with solitaire games including "Klondike", "Pyramid", "Freecell", and "Spider", some with variations. But what makes this a TWIST is that we have added "Cheat Tokens" and Wild Cards that give the player the unique opportunity to work their way through the most challenging of game situations without the restrictions of having just the hand you are dealt."

Beat Dodonpachi. Even 1cced it, too! (Was down to last life and bomb at the final boss.)

Then I realized the extra boss comes after full restart of the game that's only attainable by beating the game without dying or bombing and collecting every wasp.

And then that there are people who praise this sort of thing. There are certain shut-in aspects of the shmup community that I will NEVER endorse.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Beat Dodonpachi. Even 1cced it, too! (Was down to last life and bomb at the final boss.)

Then I realized the extra boss comes after full restart of the game that's only attainable by beating the game without dying or bombing and collecting every wasp.

And then that there are people who praise this sort of thing. There are certain shut-in aspects of the shmup community that I will NEVER endorse.[/QUOTE]

Well to be honest, shmups (especially bullet hell style like dodonpachi and espgaluda), and strategy rpgs are some of the most niche genres. They essentially cater to the most hardcore gamers, who are willing to devote ungodly amounts of time into these kinds of games. I personally love shmups, but am fairly terrible at them for the most part, because I'm not dedicated to sinking 20 hours into a game that takes 40 minutes to an hour to beat.

Free App Calendar is featuring the shooter Aractroid for its latest free title (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id339426555?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4).

"Aractroid is an innovative arcade-fighter game that combines the addicting elements of action and strategy games. Playing as an Aractroid, a cunning and powerful warrior species of spider, you defend your web from the onslaught of the invading electronic spiders that want to wipe out the Aractroid race. Destroy the spiders and absorb their energy force to perform special Aractroid abilities to help stem the attack!

Aractroid features stunning visuals and intuitive controls. Built from the ground-up to maximize the iPhone / iPod Touch’s graphic capabilities, this dark yet colorful game will test your abilities as you try and do your best to survive."

Another title by the same people who did Aractroid, Wooly Racers, is also FREE till the end of September (http://itunes.apple.com/app/wooly-racers/id349619938?mt=8#).

"The date is February 29th, 2053. Scientists successfully plant prehistoric wooly mammoth DNA in a synthetic scaffold to produce the first mammoth clone to walk the earth in over twelve thousand years. A week later, international tension over potable water supplies and other essential resources reaches a harrowing zenith: nuclear war breaks out. Fast-forward 100 years and those few mammoth clones are one of the few species that survived the resultant nuclear winter. Welcome to Wooly Racers!

Wooly Racers is an extremely simple and addicting, top-down slot racing game. To control you do one of two things: move to the left, and move to the right. Everytime you pass a mammoth your speed increases. That's it! Avoid collisions or die a terrible gruesome mammoth death."

I have to concur on the praise for Monster Dash, but I also really like Canabalt. It *is* overpriced (Canabalt is), but I sill think it was more or less worth it. Canabalt's style is unmatched. Monster Dash is fun, but it doesn't have the style of Canabalt. Canabalt is tense and creepy, in a fun way. Only play it with headphones on. You need the sound and music (plus the sound tips you off to some obstacles) to get the full experience. The good news is that Monster Dash is different enough to make it worth having both.

Dodonpachi is great, but damn is the game hard. It's going to be a while before I ever complete it without continues (if ever.) Also there are some aspects of the game I don't quite understand - especially the note that if you are hit it releases a bomb. What? I never seem to see that happen, and besides, why would I want to be hit? Or are there times when you are suppose to let yourself be hit? Confusing.

[quote name='BREVITY']Thanks for the heads up tenchim86. I was going to get this when it came out a month or so ago. Love me some FFTA.[/QUOTE]

Rebirth of Fortune has been around for a while (since Dec. 09 according to appshopper). The one that came out a month ago is Sorcerer of Fortune which is more like Puzzle Quest, although it certainly isn't as deep.

[quote name='Dimsdale']The new OpenFeint Free Game of the Day is the terrific breakout game Jet Ball (http://itunes.apple.com/app/jet-ball/id347411354?mt=8).[/QUOTE]
Jet Ball is fantastic...grab it now!

As for Canabalt...I'll play it for free on the web. It is fun, and does have a good style, but it's overpriced. Look at games like Angry Birds, and the replay value of such, and it's been $1 since day one.

If I previously downloaded a free game but it is now not free, can I DL it again for free? I had to restore my phone and I lost a bunch of stuff.

[quote name='javeryh']If I previously downloaded a free game but it is now not free, can I DL it again for free? I had to restore my phone and I lost a bunch of stuff.[/QUOTE]
Yes, as long as you use the same iTunes account.

[quote name='javeryh']If I previously downloaded a free game but it is now not free, can I DL it again for free? I had to restore my phone and I lost a bunch of stuff.[/QUOTE]
Yes, anything that you bought or downloaded previously should still be available in your account for free. You'll get a message saying you've previously purchased the item(s) and do you want to download it again.

[quote name='lilman']Yes, as long as you use the same iTunes account.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Dimsdale']Yes, anything that you bought or downloaded previously should still be available in your account for free. You'll get a message saying you've previously purchased the item(s) and do you want to download it again.[/QUOTE]

I tried and a window comes up that says "Buy" - I'm a little hesitant to click it because I don't want to get charged...

[quote name='javeryh']I tried and a window comes up that says "Buy" - I'm a little hesitant to click it because I don't want to get charged...[/QUOTE]

As long you are on the same account you will be fine. Once you click BUY you will get a pop up saying you previously downloaded the item and ask you to download it again.

Can you delete and re-buy to get rid of the icons with an annoying "SALE" or "50% OFF" banner plastered over them? It's like they're mocking me.

[quote name='Vegan']Can you delete and re-buy to get rid of the icons with an annoying "SALE" or "50% OFF" banner plastered over them? It's like they're mocking me.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you can.

[quote name='Vegan']Can you delete and re-buy to get rid of the icons with an annoying "SALE" or "50% OFF" banner plastered over them? It's like they're mocking me.[/QUOTE]
Those should go away once you download em, all my icons got cleared of those banners almost automatically, worst case, once they issue an update, it won't have any logos in there.

Playing Shining Force for the first time. I never really the D-Pad function for the iPhone port, but then again, the iPhone is always a little finicky on virtual D-Pads. Just finished the second battle, and I thought it was okay albeit archaic so far.

Ok, I have already mentioned both of these before but they received a fairly substantive update.

Ninjatown: Trees of Doom

997638.png

http://appshopper.com/games/ninjatown-trees-of-doom

its on sale for .99 cents, and was just updated with retina display, os4 multitasking, 2 new ninja outfits, and new warp bombs that let you travel to 2,500 feet, 5,000, and 10,000 feet. The warp bombs were one of the best ideas the game had. It solves the problem with most arcade games where you have to play through like 5 minutes of boring gameplay to get to the more challenging stuff once you get good at the game. As I said previously, ninjatown is one of my favorite games on the iphone, controls, art style, music, its really the complete package.

Monster Dash Isn't on sale, but was updated today.

070561.png

http://appshopper.com/games/monster-dash

This was a much smaller update, with one new vehicle the motorcycle, some new cheevos, new stats to track, some bug fixes, and some tweaks to the hearts to make them easier to get.

[quote name='javeryh']I tried and a window comes up that says "Buy" - I'm a little hesitant to click it because I don't want to get charged...[/QUOTE]
Worst case scenario, you have to email Apple customer service and they'll credit you back. I've been there...

As long as you used the very same account to buy it the first time, when you hit Buy and confirm it, it will think for a second, and THEN it will pop up with a window telling you you already bought it - do you want to download it again for free?

[quote name='Two Headed Boy']Oh no, not falling for that one.

I accidentally the whole thing!
[/QUOTE]

Yea, I up on that one. :roll:

I mean to say the iPhone never seem to make the virtual D-Pad function work as well as a physical one. The screen never seem to respond to which direction I pressed because of how small some games' D-Pads are. The same applied for Shining Force.

I know what you mean about virtual D-Pads, and I agree. The one I've used that seems to be the most effective is the Splinter Cell Conviction "analog" stick, which sort of mimics the PSP's analog slider. It's nowhere near perfect, though, but works better than a virtual d-pad.

Sometimes, I think the best controls for the iPhone is the motion control and simple virtual button presses (and even simple buttons presses don't always work).

That's also true, but only when there's only one button-activated action, and you can press anywhere on the screen to do it (IE Canabalt).

I'm not much of a trailblazer when it comes to iPhone games. I pretty much just get the ones I hear people recommend, so I don't think I have anything new to suggest.

My favorites are Tilt to Live (motion controls only), Fruit Ninja (swipe only), and Hellsing's Fire (puzzle game with light mechanics).

[quote name='DtotheP']Ok I don't get dodonpachi. Are you supposed to somehow not get shot? Or?

WTF am I supposed to do?[/QUOTE]

The original game requires players to press a button to shoot. It's a shoot 'em up game.
As for the iPhone version, they don't so it's much easier in that sense.

You dodge bullets, but when you get hit your shield goes down and while the shield is down you will die with one shot.
That only applies to the first game mode so the Arcade mode doesn't seem to have any type of shield system.

The art of gameplay is the satisfaction when you survive through bullet hells and also blowing things up--the action involved within it

Mad O Ball 3D is the new FAAD feature (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mad-o-ball-3d-fast-paced-rolling/id358777386?mt=8).

"Not your usual ball game!

Arcade action game of amazing races against time to play at the most unthinkable moments on your iPhone or iPod Touch.

Challenge people around the whole world through integrated OpenFeint service. Notify your Facebook or Twitter profile with your high-scores and achievements.
Find gamers around you with the integrated Location service.

32 exciting races to compete on. Unlock new features and new tracks as you play! Challenge your friends and compete globally, who will be the fastest?

Control the ball using the accelerometer and the touch screen.
Supports listening to your iPod music while in game."

[quote name='Devulture']That sounds fair.

Speaking of, do you know any good one-button controlled games?[/QUOTE]

Ninjatown, Canabalt, Monster Dash, Oddy Smog's misadventure, hook champ, super quick hook, are all great action games that leverage their control mechanics around the complete lack of buttons for user interface on the iphone. I personally feel like these offer the best controls for action/platforming games on the idevices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back