Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
@fodder

In that circumstance I'll just be sure to buy the dev's next app, and more than likely, it's worth the money in its own right anyway.

[quote name='Fodder']Does anyone know... is there a way to pay for these apps after the fact? Some of these that I've downloaded for free, I like enough to keep and I actually want to pay for them to support the developers.

Thanks for any help.[/QUOTE]

I would think if you really wanted to support the developers you could contact them through their website and Paypal some money over to them.

[quote name='DtotheP']Nearly all of glu's games are $1, including transformers g1. Too many to list from my phone.[/QUOTE]

iPhone

• Build-a-lot - $1.99 --> $0.99
• Transformers: Cybertoy - $1.99 --> $0.99
• Build-a-lot 2 - $2.99 --> $0.99
• Mini Golf - $1.99 --> $0.99
• Transformers G1 - $1.99 --> $0.99
• Deer Hunter: African Safari - $6.99 --> $2.99
• Jump O’Clock - $1.99 --> $0.99
• Stranded: Mysteries of Time - $1.99 --> $0.99

iPad

• Deer Hunter 3D - $4.99 --> $0.99
• Glyder 2 - $1.99 --> $0.99
• Super KO Boxing 2 - $2.99 --> $0.99

[quote name='Fodder']Does anyone know... is there a way to pay for these apps after the fact? Some of these that I've downloaded for free, I like enough to keep and I actually want to pay for them to support the developers.

Thanks for any help.[/QUOTE]

If you can't find a way to pay them, another great way to support them is to write a good review.

[quote name='jamesesdad']Hey dims, how do I insert a hyperlink, but give it a specific name I choose like you did with the EA games on sale?[/QUOTE]
I think you can do that from the "advanced" options area. I, on the other hand, cheated and copied that EA stuff from AppShopper. I should've given them credit but I thought it looked kinda obvious since all I usually ever post is plain text. I am bad. Sorry if I misled anyone else with my (lack of) posting abilities.

[quote name='jamesesdad']Hey dims, how do I insert a hyperlink, but give it a specific name I choose like you did with the EA games on sale?[/QUOTE]

Pretty simple, just highlight the word or words you want linked, then click on insert link.

Man, I paid for Veggie Samurai a week ago and its currently FREE. It was only a buck, but it still confirms the fact that I should never buy another app, since they all seem to go free at some point. Oh well, I am pleased with it for the $0.99 I spent. I recommend picking it up for free if you haven't already.

Veggie Samurai
744292.png

http://appshopper.com/games/veggie-samurai

and another freebie....

Pizza Shop Mania is currently FREE.
350677.png

http://appshopper.com/games/pizza-shop-mania

Thanks to whoever posted Trivial Pursuit! I picked it up for $.99 since I love playing the board version with my family.

I picked up Puzzle Agent on PC when it was $5 and I would recommend it for that much. Although I can't speak for the controls it shouldn't be that hard since its all point and click anyway. It has a pretty interesting story and takes about 3-4 Hours for anyone who's normal.

[quote name='ViolentLee']Jim & Frank Mysteries sure is, if reviews and screens are any indication.
Anyone here played it?

http://appshopper.com/games/the-jim-and-frank-mysteries-%E2%80%93-the-blood-river-files[/QUOTE]

I'm actually playing through Jim & Frank Mysteries now. I'm a huge Prof. Layton fan and this is a nice homage to it. Lots of puzzles and some mini games. The writing is decent and the art is nice. No shortage of a variety of puzzles for sure. I'm a couple hours in and it's worth playing. It sucks that they just boosted the price a couple of weeks ago, but I'd say it's worth $3. Nothing really bad to say about it, but it's no Professor Layton game for sure.

Roll the colored ball into its corresponding colored hole with Fayju Ball, FREE until September 9 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/fayju-ball/id315771081?mt=8).

"FAYJU BALL uses real world gravity in a multi-level 3D physics puzzle game. roll the balls into the correct holes. If the wrong one goes in, don't worry just turn your phone upside down and they will fall out.

- 60 awesome levels
- Auto saves your best time on each level
- Medal achievement system
- Intuitive controls using the built-in accelerometer
- Gameplay in 3D physics
- Stunning 3D graphics"

Once again, taken from AppShopper, a few NAMCO games are on sale for .99 each:

Mr. Driller
Rating:3.50 (295)Version:1.0.1
The town has been overrun by mysterious colored blocks and it's up to Mr. Driller to get to the bottom of it! Armed with his mighty drill, Mr. Driller must drill through the blocks to find their...

Pole Position: Remix
Rating:3.50 (686)Version:1.0.3
Prepare to Qualify! Race to the finish line in this enhanced and upgraded version of Namco’s classic arcade racer, Pole Position: Remix, specially tuned for the iPhone! Take to the road with three...

PAC-MAN
Rating:3.50 (4337)Version:2.0.1
HAPPY 30TH ANNIVERSARY PAC-MAN!! PAC-MAN, the world famous arcade classic, returns in this faithful rendition for your iPhone! Who can forget the countless hours and quarters spent avoiding pesky...

Ms. PAC-MAN
Rating:3.50 (2844)Version:1.0.6
Ms. PAC-MAN by Namco is one of the most popular video games in American arcade history! Who can forget the countless hours and quarters spent outrunning ghosts and chomping dots?

A point 'n click adventure game, Egypt the Prophecy – Part 1 looks like a worthy FREE download (http://itunes.apple.com/app/id384094156?mt=8).

"The story:
Plunge into ancient Egypt and follow Maya, a young magician, who has been ordered by Pharaoh to investigate the strange accidents that have recently occurred at the great obelisk’s worksite. Find out what is standing in the way of your sovereign’s mission. Evade curses and spells, and allow your people to construct one of the great architectural splendors of antiquity to the god Amon-Ra.

The game:
A point-and-click adventure game using 360° views, similar to Jules Verne’s Return to Mysterious Island and Dracula: The Path of the Dragon.
You play the role of a young magician and help her investigate the mysteries of ancient Egypt.
This is the first chapter of a three-part adventure."

Sorry for the offtopic, but did anyone else notice that in iTunes 10, when you go to the app sync screen, there no longer seems to be a search box. With over 1000 apps now, if I know I want to sync a particular app starting with a later letter in the alphabet, it was nice being able to type in that app's name and be able to sync it easily, instead of having to scroll through the entire list and find the app in the list. Does anyone know if I'm just missing something here?

Mr. Driller is a really well done product except the virtual d-pad is absolutely awful and that ruins the game.

Super Quickhook just rolled out the final update with 3 new chars, 4 new DLC chars (1 free), and a bunch of other crap. Now so many hats that you'll be cash grinding FOREVER. At least there's no more awful LOL SPIKES levels like Zigzag Horror.

Inotia 2 is only $3 right now, down from $5. Funny, I literally sat at the "buy now" button for thirty seconds last week, and eventually said: "If this doesn't go on sale by the time Halo: Reach comes out, I'm getting it".

Moral of the story: NEVER PAY FULL PRICE. EVER.

[quote name='107proof']Man, I paid for Veggie Samurai a week ago and its currently FREE. It was only a buck, but it still confirms the fact that I should never buy another app, since they all seem to go free at some point. Oh well, I am pleased with it for the $0.99 I spent. I recommend picking it up for free if you haven't already.
Veggie Samurai
http://appshopper.com/games/veggie-samurai
and another freebie....
Pizza Shop Mania is currently FREE.
http://appshopper.com/games/pizza-shop-mania[/QUOTE]

[quote name='sandaz93']New Ipod Touch announced!

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/[/QUOTE]

I'm planning on buying it when it hits the Apple Store retail next week. Which means my mom gets my 3rd gen, and I sell her 1st gen Touch. She games more then I do actually.

I mainly want it for the A4 chip (better battery life when gaming), the retina LED display, and 802.11n wireless. Then I can disable 802.11a/b/g on my Airport Extreme finally. :bouncy:

[quote name='ryanflucas']I'm planning on buying it when it hits the Apple Store retail next week. Which means my mom gets my 3rd gen, and I sell her 1st gen Touch. She games more then I do actually.

I mainly want it for the A4 chip (better battery life when gaming), the retina LED display, and 802.11n wireless. Then I can disable 802.11a/b/g on my Airport Extreme finally. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

I plan on picking one up next week too. My iPod right now is 4 years old and the battery life is atrocious. About time I upgrade. So starting next week I'll be in this thread more often! :D

[quote name='Trace17']I plan on picking one up next week too. My iPod right now is 4 years old and the battery life is atrocious. About time I upgrade. So starting next week I'll be in this thread more often! :D[/QUOTE]

I preordered mine from amazon yesterday! I am on a second gen and use it almost daily. I'm actually looking forward to the cameras - despite all the whining about them not being up to par with the iphone's cameras that's going on.

"FAYJU BALL" is pretty cool. If it's still free everybody should pick that up. I played it for a while last night and had fun with it. Clever stuff. Thanks for the heads up on that. I also really like Hoggy, which was also free and hopefully still is - excellent action puzzle game.

Does anyone know if the Katamari game is any good? I ve been waiting for it to drop in price but i didnt realize its almost a 2 year old game and never goes down past $3. I love the other Katamari games but i didnt know how this one played and how it looked.

i got it last time it was on sale. i like it; it looks good, plays good, no complaints. the controls are tilt and work pretty well.

its like the other katamaris you know and love.

Mr. Driller is decent; it's just tough drilling above you. Also a little bare bones.
May have to snag Dig Dug Remix and Star Trigon.
Overall though, I haven't been very impressed with Namco's iPhone library.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I just got an iTouch recently, what are some absolutely must have apps/games? Money isn't an issue.[/QUOTE]
Wolfenstein3D+ if you're a fan of the old-school shooter. That's all I got lol.

The new iPod Touches dropped in price a bit, like the 32GB model went down $10 (~3%). I had to cancel my pre-order and do it again. I wish Amazon did a Price Guarantee on it...

[quote name='panzerfaust']I just got an iTouch recently, what are some absolutely must have apps/games? Money isn't an issue.[/QUOTE]
What kinds of games do you like playing? Everyone has their favorites for different genres. There's so much to choose from, it's kind of hard to say you must have this or that without a few categories to start from. Personally, I like everything from puzzle apps and word games to shmups and brawlers. A lot of it just depends on what kind of mood I'm in; I'm pretty much all over the map.

Doodle Jump & Spiderman: Total Mythem

[quote name='LancerEvoX']The new iPod Touches dropped in price a bit, like the 32GB model went down $10 (~3%). I had to cancel my pre-order and do it again. I wish Amazon did a Price Guarantee on it...[/QUOTE]
Interesting. I have a preorder through Apple. If I were to cancel that and preorder it through Amazon with Prime, would I get it sooner?

[EDIT] Not sooner, but $35 less. I can wait another week for $35.

Monster Dash
Angry Birds
Words With Friends (if you're into scrabble-type games)
Text-Free (if you don't have a cell for texting, like me)
Plants Vs Zombies
Sword & Poker
Space Miner
Fruit Ninja

Those are some of the ones that often get mentioned...

Just upgraded to an iphone 4 from a 3G... it's been great to finally have a phone that won't crash or freeze when I'm doing complex things like setting an alarm or listening to music. :roll:

Anyway - anyone have any suggestions on games (or apps, other than ibooks/imovie) that are particularly nice on the iphone 4? I usually stick with the free apps but I'm willing to treat myself to celebrate my newly working phone.

NOVA, Asphalt 5, Tactical Flashlight, Gangstar, Photogene, Gyrosynth, and Reeldirector, are some of my favorite Apps enhanced for retina/iPhone 4.

There's another video editing app called Splice that's $2 and is supposed to be great. If the dev does what he says he's going to do, the next update will put it above both reeldirector and iMovie.

I agree with a lot of the recs already mentioned. Here are a few more:
Ragdoll Blaster 2
Fragger (if you like Angry Birds)
Wurdle (if you like Boggle)
Super QuickHook
Alive 4 Ever Returns
Peggle
Paper Toss (free)
Mirrors Edge (I've only tried the iPad version and it is my fav)

No offense to those who are new to the thread, but I'd like to see less of those "I'm a noob give recommendations" posts on here. Half the posts in here relate to that. Maybe we should put a list of "must-haves" (if there is such a thing) on the first post.

[quote name='LancerEvoX']The new iPod Touches dropped in price a bit, like the 32GB model went down $10 (~3%). I had to cancel my pre-order and do it again. I wish Amazon did a Price Guarantee on it...[/QUOTE]

Thanks buddy, you saved me $11!

[quote name='ViolentLee']No offense to those who are new to the thread, but I'd like to see less of those "I'm a noob give recommendations" posts on here. Half the posts in here relate to that. Maybe we should put a list of "must-haves" (if there is such a thing) on the first post.[/QUOTE]
I agree. I certainly don't mind if people ask how certain games are, and asking just what games are good isn't really a problem but it's asked a bit too much. It would be a great idea to have just a bunch of good games listed on the first post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back