Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
The latest OpenFeint Free Game of the Day is Touch Racing Nitro – Ghost Challenge! (http://itunes.apple.com/app/touch-racing-nitro-ghost-challenge/id363548886?mt=8).

"Touch Racing Nitro is a racing game like no other on the iPhone. With 100% touch-control oriented design you will drive, drift, jump, launch nitros and fly over your opponents at the touch of a finger!

We've dropped the virtual D-PAD and buttons and instead your fingers become the gas, brake, wheel and nitro power, as the vehicle reacts to the position and movement of your fingers. Never has a racing game felt so intuitive on a touch screen!"

The puzzler Kodix – Break the Code! has dropped to FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/kodix-break-the-code/id360951401?mt=8).

"Kodix is an amazingly fun, and challenging brain teaser that hails from the code-breaking board game, Mastermind. Unveil your inner codebreaker and use your most cunning powers of deduction to reveal a hidden code!

The game is perfectly designed for the iPhone, and just like brain teasers such as Sudoku, you must guess at a sequence of numbers(or symbols), while using clues to solve each puzzle.

Kodix tracks your scores, provides a selection of unique themes, and gives you an infinite number of challenging puzzles, for only $0.99! Unlock 4 levels of difficulty to make a mind teaser that is second to none on the AppStore. If you are an expert, your skills can be taken to their code breaking limits, and beginners can enjoy gameplay that is super engaging, yet easy to pick up."

[quote name='panzerfaust']I just got an iTouch recently, what are some absolutely must have apps/games? Money isn't an issue.[/QUOTE]

Money not an issue? These should keep you busy. All very good games (in my opinion), in different ways. Some are quick pick up and play games when you have just a few minutes free. Others are when you have some time to dedicate to playing and getting involved in a good game.

Angry Birds
Monster Dash
The Creeps!
Sooziz
Doodle Jump
Backbreaker Football (Currently Free)
Fruit Ninja
Veggie Samurai (Currently Free) Like fruit ninja with different game modes and veggies
Lets golf
Super 7
Flight Control
Abstract War
Hit N'Run (nice racing/puzzle game)
Need for speed underground
Minigore
Alive4ever
iDracula
Guerrilla bob
Mega Jump
Chop Chop Runner
BirdStrike
NinjaTown: Trees of Doom
Peggle
Ragdoll Blaster 2
Zombie Smash
Monster Mayhem
Tilt To Live
Alphabetic
Dungeon Hunter
Fastar
N.O.V.A.
Space Miner
ALL IN ONE gamebox
Coin Dozer (FREE)
Sandstorm
Labyrinth 2
MiniSquadron
Plants vs. Zombies

Wondering if I should pick up that apparently awesome Spider-Man game now or wait for a sale. How long does it take Gameloft to put their hot new game on sale usually?

[quote name='Decker']Wondering if I should pick up that apparently awesome Spider-Man game now or wait for a sale. How long does it take Gameloft to put their hot new game on sale usually?[/QUOTE]

If you buy it today, it will go on sale tomorrow. That's the way it works for me most of the time. :D

[quote name='panzerfaust']I just got an iTouch recently, what are some absolutely must have apps/games? Money isn't an issue.[/QUOTE]

didn't see this on any one else's list (surprisingly), but to me super quickhook is one of the best games for the ios. The controls are spot on, awesome art style, and tons of replay. I don't think there is any other platformer that controls as well. Out of all the games I've purchased on the app store, I'm always coming back to this one.

http://appshopper.com/games/super-quickhook

[quote name='jamesesdad']didn't see this on any one else's list (surprisingly), but to me super quickhook is one of the best games for the ios. The controls are spot on, awesome art style, and tons of replay. I don't think there is any other platformer that controls as well. Out of all the games I've purchased on the app store, I'm always coming back to this one.

http://appshopper.com/games/super-quickhook[/QUOTE]
Don't worry, SQH was not forgotten: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7577528&postcount=2857

Super QuickHook is awesome!

SQH would have been on my list if it was retina, I was listing apps specically enhanced for the 4.

We also missed Zen Bound 2. It includes all the puzzles from the first with upgraded graphics plus all new ones. Certainly has that wow factor.

Back on topic, Hoggy is currently free for a limited time. Platformers are always iffy on these devices, but I'm a sucker for things that look like vintage nintendo.

[quote name='107proof']Money not an issue? These should keep you busy. All very good games (in my opinion), in different ways. Some are quick pick up and play games when you have just a few minutes free. Others are when you have some time to dedicate to playing and getting involved in a good game.

a bunch of games[/QUOTE]

Don't forget Espgaluda II and DoDonPachi Resurrection!

Zombie Highway is quite good for 99 cents. Drive down a highway while zombies cling to your car. Swipe them off on the obstacles, don't let them overturn your car.

I am PERPETUALLY disappointed by Gameloft's attempts to port/ripoff big name games to the Iphone. Zombie Infection was bearable. But Terminator and NOVA and the like are just boring as hell. They don't even play to the Iphone's strengths.

And if I listed all the best Iphone games, I'd be listing through doomsdays. My favorites by miles are below though.

Helsing's Fire - Great fun puzzler
Nimble Strong: Bartender in Training - Art is ugly as sin but the mixing drinks is fun as hell and it's nice to learn the stuff the game tries to teach.
Surviving High School - The gift that keeps on giving with all the free weekly eps and the DLC.
Dark Nebula 1 and 2 - Tilt labyrinth games that have ANY ANGLE CALIBRATION and are still pretty solid.
Hand of Greed - Touch the gems. Don't touch the blades.
EVERYTHING BY REINER KNIZIA - JUST SEARCH REINER AND DOWNLOAD ALL THEM BOARD GAMES. ESPECIALLY SAMURAI
Tyrian, Dodonpachi, Espgaluda 2 - Shmups
Archon - Classic board game/action game hybrid remake
ZombieSmash - Frenetic ZOMBIE THROWING game but good fun.
Pro Zombie Soccer - Good kick ball at zombies game.
Carcassonne
Jailbreak Voice Onrush - Metal Gear meets Pac-Man
Clue - Not the board game but a nice logic puzzle game.

I'm starting to feel the itch to buy Carcassonne, with the eventual price hike (or maybe that will never happen), but I've never played any version of the game before. Is it easy to understand and is the AI good? I'm really looking for a good strategy/board-ish game with good AI and challenge.

[quote name='Kush']I'm starting to feel the itch to buy Carcassonne, with the eventual price hike (or maybe that will never happen), but I've never played any version of the game before. Is it easy to understand and is the AI good? I'm really looking for a good strategy/board-ish game with good AI and challenge.[/QUOTE]

Yes and yes. It's got solid AI play, a great tutorial, good depth, and a decent solitaire mode to boot.

Free App Calendar has the puzzler Dice Match for its FREE offering right now (http://www.freeappcalendar.com/details.php?id=336).

"Match the dice with this addictive and unique gameplay. Four game modes with 'Classic' version included AND you can customize your dice. Plan your strategy to save your last move on all the high values, or just swipe all the pairs. Occasionally, a rare x10 dice will appear but use it wisely on the high dice values. After each game, your score is saved on a local High Score list for you to compete again the next time. Great HD resolution graphics and fun music."

Another shmup, Ultrablast, is the latest OpenFeint Free Game of the Day title on deck (http://itunes.apple.com/app/ultrablast/id372603280?mt=8).

"Ultrablast™ is an oldschool frantic shoot'em up from RetroFlux!

* Use various weapons to exploit your enemies' weaknesses!
* Use gestures to unleash powerful attacks!
* Stack multipliers to beat the highest score!
* Strategic battles and fierce boss fights
* Exciting story taking you to exotic places
* Read about your enemies (and your friends) in the information database
* Use the online replay and profile system to see how others play and check their statistics!
* Quicksave & Resume for the ones who don't have multitasking support
* Three different control options to choose from
* Amazing 16-track original soundtrack: Headphones (or a HQ stereo) are highly recommended!
* Full iOS4 and multitasking support
* Full OpenFeint integration:
* 16 Achievements
* Dynamic ranking
* Built-in leaderboards with profile pictures
* Challenge your friends with your highest scores! (with Push Notifications)
* Social notifications (optional, you will be asked for permission)
* Supports 1st and 2nd generation devices in addition to the latest"

The action puzzler GudeBalls is currently available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/gudeballs/id305678404?mt=8#).

"GudeBalls is a puzzle game, an action game, a time management game all bundle up into a single package!

GudeBalls is based on a very simple idea: You just have to organize colored marbles on plates.

But once you start playing, you'll find out how such a simple idea becomes a great challenge, you'll try your skills confronting puzzling locks, fierce monsters and even a share of magic tricks, as you find your way through several amazing levels."

Argh the free games must stop while us iPad users wait for 4.2 to release in November! I'm completely out of icon space until they add folder support! :lol:

Nobody's mentioned this yet?

You: "I've always wanted to play a game as a robot unicorn chasing a butterfly through a magic land while an Erasure song plays on my iPhone, but $3? I'm not made of money!"
Me: "Well you're in luck, because all [Adult Swim] iPhone and iPod Touch games are on sale for $.99 right now. That includes Robot Unicorn Attack, which is pretty much the game you just described, and Amateur Surgeon, which is a surprisingly functional version of a Trauma Center-style game, except you operate on homeless people and criminals using garbage instead of surgical equipment. There's also 5 Minutes to Kill (Yourself), My Li'l Bastard, Meowcenaries, Floater Pro, and Word Runner. You can try out versions of the games for free on the [Adult Swim] website, as well as a bunch of others. The sale won't last long so you should probably act fast

[quote name='107proof']Money not an issue? These should keep you busy. All very good games (in my opinion), in different ways. Some are quick pick up and play games when you have just a few minutes free. Others are when you have some time to dedicate to playing and getting involved in a good game.
Angry Birds
Monster Dash
The Creeps!
Sooziz
Doodle Jump
Backbreaker Football (Currently Free)
Fruit Ninja
Veggie Samurai (Currently Free) Like fruit ninja with different game modes and veggies
Lets golf
Super 7
Flight Control
Abstract War
Hit N'Run (nice racing/puzzle game)
Need for speed underground
Minigore
Alive4ever
iDracula
Guerrilla bob
Mega Jump
Chop Chop Runner
BirdStrike
NinjaTown: Trees of Doom
Peggle
Ragdoll Blaster 2
Zombie Smash
Monster Mayhem
Tilt To Live
Alphabetic
Dungeon Hunter
Fastar
N.O.V.A.
Space Miner
ALL IN ONE gamebox
Coin Dozer (FREE)
Sandstorm
Labyrinth 2
MiniSquadron
Plants vs. Zombies
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all the recommendations everyone, hopefully I'll find something out of all these =D

Build-a-Lot 2: Town of the Year by HipSoft LLC has dropped from $2.99 to $0.99, valid only for a limited time.
Ratings: 4.5/5.0 stars, based on 55 reviews.

App description:
---
The hit casual online strategy franchise returns with an award-winning sequel - Build-a-lot 2: TOWN OF THE YEAR!

It’s time to get busy building, buying and selling houses! Flip houses for quick cash or sit back and watch the rental income pile up. Use your entrepreneurial eye to spot the right locations for residential neighborhoods, parks and industrial zones. Boost your profits and raise Curb Appeal by painting and landscaping homes. There are new towns to explore, new Mayors to meet and lots of money to be made as you cast your vote for the "Town of the Year!"

---

The game is fun and it is better than the first one in several ways.
Anyone likes this type of mini-tycoon (business simulation) game will love this.

[quote name='Kush']I'm starting to feel the itch to buy Carcassonne, with the eventual price hike (or maybe that will never happen), but I've never played any version of the game before. Is it easy to understand and is the AI good? I'm really looking for a good strategy/board-ish game with good AI and challenge.[/QUOTE]

I really haven't played the AI much, but the asynchronous multiplayer is great fun. crunchewy and I tend to be in the middle of 2-3 games at any one time - currently a one on one, a 3 player, and a 4 player. If anyone else wants to get in on it, hit me with a PM to exchange email addresses.

Another top-down shooter, Blastian, is currently available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/blastian/id371682108?mt=8).

"Blastian delivers instant, old school, top scrolling visceral thrills from the very first level and doesn’t let up!

Although the thrills are old school the action isn’t, with tilt control and an amazing escape manoeuvre that is pulled off with a ‘flip’ of your device, Blastian is a unique iPhone/iPod touch experience.

Starting out as a lowly Ensign your job is to defend the Solar System from the evil insectoid Xacti forces. Wave after wave, planet after planet, battle after battle, the Xacti are relentless destroyers of worlds.

But you aren’t defenceless and as you take on the Xacti over every planet in our Solar System you can deploy an arsenal of powerful weapons including Photons, Mega-Blasters, orbiting Pulsar shields and the mighty Berserk!

It’s time to fulfil your destiny and save Mankind. It’s time for Blastian!"

If you'd rather get up close and personal with your killing spree, you may be interested in Link Boy (http://itunes.apple.com/app/link-boy/id389109557?mt=8), currently FREE.

"It's not a dream anymore to annihilate the enemy with the easiest way!!!
Want to enjoy the fastest killing of the BOSS-CLASS enemy?
Want to have the excitement of killing the enemy all at once?
Link Boy can satisfy all your three wishes.

[ HOW TO PLAY ]
It's very simple. Just click the screen to place more than two bombs and click the [ FIRE ] button on the lower right corner of the screen. Flame threads will be formed between the bombs you have placed in sequence. The flame can wound and bounce away any figure."

[quote name='Dimsdale']FAAD has the lite version (first 25 levels) of Glow Puzzle for one of its features today (http://www.freeappaday.com/napp.php?id=377) along with the virtual weapons cache Gun Club 2 (http://www.freeappaday.com/napp.php?id=376) and another non-game app, I Am Vampire (http://www.freeappaday.com/napp.php?id=378). Meh, I am passing . . .[/QUOTE]

I believe Glow Puzzle has always been free since its release.
I know it 'cause I downloaded it not too long from when it made its first apperaance on the AppStore and it also says on the price tracker from App Shopper.

What's wrong with FAAD?

EDIT: Nevermind, I misunderstood their meaning of "featured app" as featuring paid apps for free.

Have you guys checked out dead runner? It looks like a first person canabalt set in the Blair witch project. $1, I might bite, but I'm worried openfeint will have it for free the day after I do. Oh well, it happens. I'm a sucker for retina enhanced games.

[quote name='Thrakker']I really haven't played the AI much, but the asynchronous multiplayer is great fun. crunchewy and I tend to be in the middle of 2-3 games at any one time - currently a one on one, a 3 player, and a 4 player. If anyone else wants to get in on it, hit me with a PM to exchange email addresses.[/QUOTE]
So, does the multiplayer work like WWF... where you make a move and can leave the game/app and come back later when your opponent makes his/her move? If yes, then I've become much more interested.

Free App Calendar is featuring COCOnoid for its freebie today (http://www.freeappcalendar.com/details.php?id=354).

"Destroy all the fractal cores keeping the ball inside the play area. Enjoy 30 fractal worlds, each one with different characteristics.
COCOnoid is part of the COordinating COde project. Playing with games of the COCO project you will improve right-left hand coordination.
Get a taste of old school gaming goodness!"

Dive instead of jump with SwimmingPig, currently available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/swimmingpig/id388837929?mt=8).

"Little pig has life values and oxygen values. Life values will be reduced when encountering the sea fish. And Oxygen values will be reduced gradually in the beginning. Either life values or Oxygen values reduces to Zero, Game will be over. But don’t worry; eating the props by the way of driving will recover Life values and Oxygen.
Clicking the screen to get a second double-speed and avoids the enemy or eats the props is the feature of this game!"

CosmoBlast, a game for "very smart guys who love work brains," (?) is on sale for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/cosmoblast/id356552849?mt=8). Bonus Engrish courtesy of this description:

"f you love games like "just touch and tap the screen for have a fun", please doesn't waste your time with CosmoBlast game. That game for very smart guys who love work brains more, than just make many actions with devices screens.
Awesome gameplay of CosmoBlast can get you time more you can lost with games at your iPhone or iPod.
Challenge with other player with online scoreboard. Just find who best player and beat them scores.

Description:
One click makes a planet grow. When the planet reaches its limit, it explodes and send out 4 star splinters which make adjacent planets grow.
Start a chain reaction of burst planets to get more points in a single shot!
Using the black holes will help you to clean up but it won't give you any extra shots. You can make black hole when tap to empty cell of game field.
If you don't have moves any more, the game is over."

[quote name='Kush']So, does the multiplayer work like WWF... where you make a move and can leave the game/app and come back later when your opponent makes his/her move? If yes, then I've become much more interested.[/QUOTE]

If you're playing with friends, that's exactly how it works - I think the four player game I'm in started almost a month ago, and it's been 10 days since someone took a turn. If you're playing random one on one matches with someone you don't know, it's real-time and you lose if you quit I believe.

[quote name='sherisdoppel']EDIT: Nevermind, I misunderstood their meaning of "featured app" as featuring paid apps for free.[/QUOTE]

Well this is supposed to be a deals thread, so that is a reasonable assumption if it was posted here.
(Not that it's a big problem or anything..)

[quote name='DtotheP']Have you guys checked out dead runner? It looks like a first person canabalt set in the Blair witch project. $1, I might bite, but I'm worried openfeint will have it for free the day after I do. Oh well, it happens. I'm a sucker for retina enhanced games.[/QUOTE]

Dead runner is good for a pick up and play game, Not much different from all the other running and try not to hit anything games. (Cube runner, Boost, etc.) Only difference is the setting is in the forest and you try to avoid trees.

It has a 24 OpenFeint achievements. Has 2 gaming modes, distance runner and points runner, in points mode there are floating orbs to collect for points, plus there are 2x and 3x multipliers you can collect. Collecting multipliers also increases your speed.

I think it will get old quick, It's one of those games where you will play it about 10-15 times when you first buy it. Then it will get ignored and will start to collect digital dust on the new retina display.

Hope this helps.

Well... I bit on Carcassonne. Registered under 'Kush' just to lock the name, but I think I'll play a fair share of solo games before I embarrass myself in multiplayer. ...took the time to do the brief tutorial and play one game and I must say... Carcassonne is pretty awesome and it has a nice clean design.

Moxie 2 is down to $0.99 - It's one of the many word games up on the app store, but it has its unique elements. I picked it up the original when it was free and it's not too bad... not sure what's different in #2.

[quote name='tipio']I just bought that game on Thursday just before I went to bed. I haven't even played it once.[/QUOTE]

Which game?

Hey guys, I just joined the iTouch family :)

Got an Ipod Touch on clearance for $130. Its a 3rd gen/32GB from Staples.

Sucks I stopped getting free apps after my friend killed my enthusiasm on the device but here I am!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back