Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love this thread! Snatched up Monkey Island 2 for a buck without even thinking. I loved the Sierra/LucasArts games growing up. My iPhone to play list is rather lengthy but I can't pass up a deal especially on something I know i'll enjoy and haven't played. Hopefully the first will be on sale before I get around to playing #2. Missed it the last time it was on sale.

[quote name='cycophuk']List Of Game Center Apps

---Coming Soon---

Chu Chu Rocket (Planned Release Date: October)
[/QUOTE]

nice list, but the best thing that stood out was chu chu rocket for the iphone. i had no idea, im very excited. probably have to wait for several price drops though (and we all know how prices can go on the iphone).

BUYER BEWARE :

The game "Slice It!" does not currently work on the ipod touch 4th generation. They have replied to an email saying they are working on it at this moment. So hopefully I can play it soon :D

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']BUYER BEWARE :

The game "Slice It!" does not currently work on the ipod touch 4th generation. They have replied to an email saying they are working on it at this moment. So hopefully I can play it soon :D[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up, almost bought that last night, glad I waited. Would've been agitated.

[quote name='Trace17']Thanks for the heads up, almost bought that last night, glad I waited. Would've been agitated.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I was a little ticked off :(

but I just didnt like the fact that in the game description is literally states this "Slice it! will run on your iphone, ipod touch, and ipad. " :bomb::bomb:

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']Hey if anyone know about the game "Shatter" ? It is sold through the Playstation Network Store"

anyways...Is there any iphone/ipod touch games similar to this ?[/QUOTE]

There's also Breakspin, which is another breakout/arkanoid-like, with a fair amount of polish. It's currently 99 cents, was free for a bit, will probably become free again at some point.

why was Fire_Thief banned, and why should I care and/or beware of him?

but anyways, back on topic, MI2 is steal at $0.99 but I don't if I should pick up for my iPhone 4 or wait for a deal on Steam. I bought the first MI on Steam for cheap but haven't played it.. it's hard to pass up at that price though. any thoughts/suggestions?

SquareBusta is the new OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/squarebusta/id386297651?mt=8).

"SquareBusta is a fun and addictive game where you must use the pieces that start appearing in piece pile, and build squares and rectangles with them before the piece pile fills up. Beware its starts slow but, it will speed up, and before you know it you don't know what to do with all those pieces."

Taken from TouchArcade, here's a trio of old school coin pushing games that are all available for FREE:

084962.png

Dungeons and Coins, Free An odd conglomeration of a coin push machine and light RPG elements. You battle monsters by pushing coins of the edge, and unlike the other two games, you're not limited by the amount of coins you can chuck in at once-- often resulting in hilarious coin explosions as the physics engine tries to figure out what to do.

947998.png

Coin Push Frenzy, Free Packed with the best graphics and physics of the three, Coin Push Frenzy has a bunch of different power-ups, collectable prizes, and additional unlockable coin pusher machines. Currently there seems to be some bugs that effect coin generation, but Freeverse is aware of the issue and an update is on the way but in the meantime putting your device to sleep and waking it back up again should make coins appear.

836496.png

Coin Dozer, Free Downloaded over 2.5 million times, Coin Dozer has been somewhat of a sensation in Asian App Store markets. With gameplay very similar to Coin Push Frenzy, I like that you can actually see what prizes are coming up instead of just spawning mysterious chests or boxes like the other two games.

[quote name='anarchyburger']why was Fire_Thief banned, and why should I care and/or beware of him?

but anyways, back on topic, MI2 is steal at $0.99 but I don't if I should pick up for my iPhone 4 or wait for a deal on Steam. I bought the first MI on Steam for cheap but haven't played it.. it's hard to pass up at that price though. any thoughts/suggestions?[/QUOTE]

I bought the first monkey island on xbox live and have not played it yet. But for $1, I cant resist.

:

http://toucharcade.com/2010/09/13/price-drop-alert-monkey-island-2-drops-to-99¢-for-a-limited-time/

Monkey Island 2 takes place after the events of the first Monkey Island where wannabe pirate Guybrush Threepwood is introduced and meets the cast of characters included in the game as he seeks out the pirate leaders and attempts to prove himself through three challenges. A ghost pirate named LeChuck is thrown in to the mix, along with the beautiful Elaine Marley. Without spoiling too much, the game concludes with romance, root beer, and fireworks. Even though playing the original is by no means required to enjoy the sequel, Monkey Island is filled with great writing, silly characters, funny situations, and often extremely odd solutions to the problems that Guybrush must overcome which is really worth checking out– Especially considering the fantastic job LucasArts did on the iPhone port of the special edition release.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']Hey if anyone know about the game "Shatter" ? It is sold through the Playstation Network Store"

anyways...Is there any iphone/ipod touch games similar to this ?[/QUOTE]

I also agree that Jet Ball is a great game if you like the genre. I even picked up the download packs for it because it's just a great game to pick up and play here and there.

If you like Jet Ball, I recently came across "Ricochet" Very well done game and a bit different from Jet Ball, but also very similar. Only thing I don't like is the ball seems to move a tad slow, but I am just getting into this game so maybe there is an option or a power up that will speed it up. Regardless, I would recommend this one as well if you like this kind of games.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Should I play the original Monkey Island before I play the second one (are the stories related)?[/QUOTE]

you will be fine just playing the second game ;)
it will all make since to you

Baseball Superstar 2010 and Maple Story are both on sale for $2.99. Might wanna jump on Baseball Superstar because its been sale for a while now so it might go back up again very soon

The current batch of reviews on the AppShopper app really illustrate how unreliable app store ratings are. I trust fire_thief more than app store ratings.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Should I play the original Monkey Island before I play the second one (are the stories related)?[/QUOTE]

You'll be just fine.

The only thing you need to know is that in the first lines of the game after the opening credits, when Guybrush is describing his exploits from the previous adventure, he is definitely... exaggerating.

sweet, I guess I'll get on Monkey Island 2. Got the first on a Steam holiday sale awhile back, never finished it, but did really enjoy it. For a $1 why not for a few laughs at the least haha

I wish they would have dropped the iPad version of Monkey Island by a few bucks. I downloaded the iPhone lite version last night, but it's just too ugly to play on my iPad.

I'm currently digging Cut Him Up, kind of like a MadWorld clone, down to the graphics but I've yet to see any profanity :).

For all you virtual (animal) breeders out there, the FREE Pocket Frogs is now available so you can start assembling your unholy assortment of leaping, croaking minions (http://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/pocket-frogs/id386644958?mt=8#).

"Discover, collect, trade, and breed over 10,000 unique frogs on your iOS device, anytime, anywhere!

★ Trade frogs and habitat items with friends
★ Breed a diverse and unique collection of frogs
★ Play anytime, online or off
★ Beautiful high resolution Retina graphics
★ Customize and decorate each of your frog habitats
★ Over 60 challenging awards to earn
★ View your friends' habitats and frogs
★ Different in-game items available every day
★ Explore the pond to find rewards and discover rare frogs"

[quote name='mtxbass1']I wish they would have dropped the iPad version of Monkey Island by a few bucks. I downloaded the iPhone lite version last night, but it's just too ugly to play on my iPad.[/QUOTE]

It looks good enough for people to play it on their big TVs and monitors, so what's the problem?

[quote name='Vegan']It looks good enough for people to play it on their big TVs and monitors, so what's the problem?[/QUOTE]

Different inherent resolutions. The version of the games that you get on the 360 or PS3 have much higher native graphics than the version on the iPhone. It has a much smaller screen, so they down sample all of the graphics to keep the app size down. That's why it's only a few hundred MB instead of the 1GB+ on the PC. But as a result, when you upscale to the iPad, you're still only seeing those down sampled resolutions, and it doesn't look nearly as good.

[quote name='Dimsdale']For all you virtual (animal) breeders out there, the FREE Pocket Frogs is now available so you can start assembling your unholy assortment of leaping, croaking minions (http://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/pocket-frogs/id386644958?mt=8#).
[/QUOTE]

Ummm . . .

Your request could not be completed.

The item you've requested is not currently available in the U.S. Store, but it is available in the New Zealand Store. Click Change Store to view this item.
Anyone know if there are any repercussions to "changing stores" to download something? This game looks like something my girlfriend would really like, but I don't want to mess up my iTunes account to get it.

[quote name='arcane93']Ummm . . .

Anyone know if there are any repercussions to "changing stores" to download something? This game looks like something my girlfriend would really like, but I don't want to mess up my iTunes account to get it.[/QUOTE]
Hmmm, looks like they're still waiting to unleash the little hoppers on the U.S. market. I'd just try back again later today; it should be available by this evening.

[quote name='Dimsdale']Hmmm, looks like they're still waiting to unleash the little hoppers on the U.S. market. I'd just try back again later today; it should be available by this evening.[/QUOTE]

I was taken by surprise that they offered up the option to change stores so off-hand. That's definitely new. If they really do allow it, and really do make it that easy (with prompts, even), it's almost weird that they're even keeping "separate" stores at all. I'd kind of like to try it (I also want Stephen Fry's new "MyFry" app, which as of right now appears to only be in the UK store), but I'm a little afraid to.

Space Station: Frontier is the latest OpenFeint Free Game of the Day title (http://itunes.apple.com/app/space-station-frontier/id346227455?mt=8).

"As overseer of a deep space mining operation you'd expect it to be a peaceful job. No such luck with a mysterious alien race violently contesting your claim to the territory!
Harvest precious energy, fortify your station, build up your firepower to defend humanity's domain on this new frontier!

• Construct weaponry and mining tools using an intuitive tower defense style interface.
• Design and power vast networks of structures, then defend them against alien incursion!
• Earn upgrades and unlocks for your space station to increase its power and abilities!
• Enjoy the story-based campaign mode where you are humanity's last chance for survival.
• Play one of three freeform, endless modes and compete with other players worldwide using the online leaderboards.
• Mission mode provides quick tactical challenges. Beat a scenario to earn achievements!
• Multiplayer head-to-head! Play against another player on iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad! Needs LAN WiFi or Bluetooth.
• Full OpenFeint integration provides multiple user profiles, complete offline support, online scores and lots of achievements to earn.
• Awesome music & sound effects by Earcom!"

Space Station Frontier is brilliant. I paid whatever it was it cost when it first came out, and more than got my money's worth. For free, as we always say, it's a better bargain for sure.

[quote name='arcane93']Ummm . . .

Anyone know if there are any repercussions to "changing stores" to download something? This game looks like something my girlfriend would really like, but I don't want to mess up my iTunes account to get it.[/QUOTE]

Nothing, cause it won't let you. I tried. It told me my account is only set up for the U.S. and I wasn't allowed to buy anything from the New Zealand store. It then sent me back to the U.S. store. I can buy apps from any place in the world with my android phone and google will even do currency conversions for me, but god forbid apple allow anything like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back