Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Distract yourself from life's daily grind with the FREE retro shooter Buganoids (http://itunes.apple.com/app/buganoids/id379138062?mt=8).

"Immerse yourself in classic arcade fun with BUGANOIDS, the latest FREE game from Backflip Studios, makers of PAPER TOSS, NINJUMP, and STRIKE KNIGHT! Blast your way from planet to planet on your mission to eliminate hoards of alien creatures bent on destroying you. Collect a variety of weapons to squash your opponents including flame-throwers, homing missiles, lasers and more. BUGANOIDS is an awesome throw-back to the addictive arcade games of the 80s. Fans of classic games will feel right at home with the 8-bit style graphics and synthesized sound effects.

Features include:
-8 unique planets
-3 modes of difficulty
-A multitude of bug-blasting weapons
-Classic arcade controls
-Awesome retro graphics
-Evil alien bugs
-Original sound and music
-OpenFeint leader boards
-Optimized for iPhone 4 retina display
-Fast app switching"

[quote name='crunchewy']RollingSkull - I don't expect a game to "explain the strategy". Part of the fun is discovering your own strategy. I'm still working on it, but getting better. So far I'm really enjoying the game. My only complaints are lack of online and that it's pretty clearly a scaling down in size of the iPad version - they need to make the UI better fir the smaller screen of the iPhone.[/QUOTE]
Well, I more meant that the game does a shit job of explaining that color wheel.

Prince of Persia of Persia:Warrior Within is on sale for .99 along with Shrek Forever After,and some other Gameloft offerings. These two just stuck out more from the group.

PoP has graphics for the iPhone 4.

Blast rockets out of your way with Collision Courses, now available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/collision-courses/id388540091?mt=8#).

"Rocket rocket rocket, let's rocket!

Intercept rockets using only one key. One-touch controls allow for a relative easy and addictive gameplay experience. Start operating your "Collision Courses" today.

Use your best strategy; Click on the missile to maneuver your direction, then click on the launch button to intercept the missiles. But be careful, you must be precise with your aim because as the levels increase, the game is sure to strike a nerve. Timing and strategy play important roles in this ever-changing, but addictive game."

Prince of Persia Warrior Within is 99 cents right now, but currently being modified. I've been waiting on this one. 554 MB though!

[quote name='daruler022']Prince of Persia of Persia:Warrior Within is on sale for .99 along with Shrek Forever After,and some other Gameloft offerings. These two just stuck out more from the group.

PoP has graphics for the iPhone 4.[/QUOTE]

Looks pretty nice. For $1, I'm in. Thanks!

[quote name='caltab']Haven't seen chronoSgear mentioned, it launched a couple of days ago for half price, at 1.99. Its a match 3-rpg that is very similar to the DS game Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes. While not an original concept, I don't think there is anything else like it on the app store.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the heads up on this game... I really enjoyed M&M: CoH and $2 isn't too much for a good game in that style.

[quote name='mkernan']Prince of Persia is back up to $5 already, FYI.[/QUOTE]
Glad I picked it up while I did then...

Worldy Wings has dropped from $1.99 to $.99 until 9/20. Seems to be a pretty decent game and it happens to support Game Center (bonus for moi).

"Now Supporting Game Center!
Join the Worldy Wings fleet in the ultimate flying adventure!
Sail through uncharted worlds fighting wicked enemies!
Select the right plane for each world and score as many points as you can!

Take advantage of the Bonus Round and reload your plane after each world!

Features:

- 3 different planes to choose from.
- 5 available Worlds with unlimited action!
- 4 Bonus Rounds to upgrade your plane.
- Tons of enemies and power-ups!
- Auto saving checkpoints on each level.
- Worldwide and Local Scoreboards.
- Challenging old-school gameplay with amazing graphics!

Fasten your seat belts and get ready for fun!"

Thanks for the post about Monkey Island 1. I wasn't gonna purchase the sequel unless I could get the first one at this price as well. Nabbed 'em both. Thanks!

FAAD will be showcasing Flight Doodle for one of its next offerings (http://itunes.apple.com/app/flight-doodle/id320633750?mt=8).

"Flight Doodle is a high-flying, action-packed thrill ride. With uniquely customizable aircrafts, lush, colorful atmospheric settings and visually brilliant doodled art style, it’s full of delightful and light-hearted fun for everyone!

148Apps says: "Flight Doodle definitely has all the elements that any real avoidance/high score gamer would want."

Soaring skyward, you gather power-ups and avoid an array of falling objects and enemies as you try to reach new heights.

Collect a variety of tools that help you deal with everything from changing weather patterns to falling pushpins. With the tap of a finger, you can shrink your balloon, give it a protective shield, or arm it with explosive shells that blast obstacles!"

I'm playing PoP:WW on PC right now. I can't imagine and don't even want to TRY to imagine how it would play on Iphone.

That said, WW is a better game than Sands of Time, for anyone who skipped it. Except for the awful atmosphere, the dreadful plot, and kinda drab environments. Everything else is vintage Prince with the added bonus of combat being fun and not a complete total friggen chore like it was in SoT.

Not a game sale, but anyone know if there are any games really similar to Scarabeus Pearl of Nile? Or if they are going to do more levels for that game?

My wife loves the game, and the gameplay makes it a very unique kind of puzzler. She has already finished all 40 levels of the main game and getting restless for another fix. Thanks for any help or ideas.

Please refrain from posting any "sales" of games by MSG. They discount their crap every other week to try to get threads like this one to promote their games. The games are so bad that I cant even begin to promote their crap. That is why I am abbreviating their name.

@Cenny, I saw you posted this earlier and I looked around to see if I could find anything but I had no such luck. If you want to go the extra mile I'd suggest asking on the forums on TouchArcade. If there's absolutely no game similar you can find you may just want to ask for some puzzler suggestions from the guys here. I'm sure they'll be able to recommend some good titles that she may be interested in

Tetris is on sale for .99 for 72 hours. Right now it says it's being modified, so you can't buy it yet.

UPDATE: The app store will now let you buy Tetris.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']There is an update for Justin.TV

you can now BROADCAST over 3G and WIFI !!!!

also The game "Worldy Wings" is A LOT of fun[/QUOTE]

But does it work on iPod touch 4g? I haven't seen anything about that and after downloading it can't figure it out.

Would seem really stupid to put out the app today and ignore the new iPod cameras being able to stream over wifi.

[quote name='107proof']Please refrain from posting any "sales" of games by MSG. They discount their crap every other week to try to get threads like this one to promote their games. The games are so bad that I cant even begin to promote their crap. That is why I am abbreviating their name.[/QUOTE]

I kinda wish I knew who you were talking about.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']Monkey Island 1 is now 99 cent as well. Bought that one too, now I own it on this, 360, and Steam. -_-[/QUOTE]

Dammit, why can't these be a dollar each on XBL, where I really want to play them?

Still, mighty tempting for portable Monkey Island goodness.

Jet Car Stunts down to 99 cents!!!

866370.png

"------ Apple: Best Games of 2009 ----- AppModo: "truly one of the best iPhone games" ----- PocketFullOfApps: "An absolute must have game!" -----
------ Customer: "and I thought doodle jump was addictive" ----- Many Customers: "Best" and "Ever"

Jet Car Stunts is an award winning, over the top, adrenaline rush, 3D driving game, with massive jumps, mid-air hoops, floating platforms, spiral roadways and outlandish maneuvers in impossible environments. The original levels, tight controls and fast, smooth, addictive game play has landed Jet Car Stunts on many "Best of 2009" lists.

**** Profesional Reviews ****
(5/5) AppSmile: "one of the best iDevice games we've ever played"
(5/5) TouchGen: "I've played hundreds of games on my iPhone, and I can honestly say that this is the most fun I've had, thus far!"
(10/10) PocketFullOfApps: "An absolute must have game!"
(5/5) apphunter.net - "The controls are easy to master and the visual effects are simply stunning"
(4.6/5) AppVee: "I recommend it"
(8/10) PocketGamer.co.uk: "amazingly fun"
(9/10) IGN - "excellent controls, a great drift mechanic" - "an amazing iPhone racer that you should absolutely buy"
(5/5) TouchArcade: "Jet Car Stunts has really set the bar high in both visual appeal and handling"
(4/4) SlideToPlay: "a thrill ride"
(5/5) AppAdvice: "this one is a tight gripping, brow sweating, stunt filled marathon that you’ll enjoy every minute of" - "Jet Car Stuns is one experience everyone idevice owner should have"
(5/5) touchreviews.net: "enough content in Jet Car Stunts to keep you playing the game again and again"
(5/5) AppSafari: "truly one of the best racing games I’ve ever played"
(4.6/5) AppSpy: "poetry in motion"
(4.5/5) iphoneachievements.org: "simply magnificent"
(9.99/10) IpwnAge: "the BEST app I've ever reviewed"
TheAppera: "It’s a great game, one of my personal favorites on iPhone"
AppModo: "truly one of the best iPhone games"

One of the best driving games on the iphone. Really whacky, this marks the firs time this game has gone on sale!

TETRIS is $.99
** NEW LOW PRICE! 40% OFF ** Now celebrating over 100-million paid downloads on mobile!

*Official listing says 72 hour sale event.

One of the greatest games of all time, I paid either $2.99 or $4.99 when I got my phone and it handles exactly like you would want Tetris to play.

-----
Also if you like puzzle games, check out Zentomino it's on sale for $.99 or free trial version is available. I'd never seen it till last night browsing and I picked it up.

-----
Damn sales, I keep buying games even though I have folders and folders full of unplayed free and paid games... I'm ALOT more selective about freebies now though. :D

EDIT: Totally missed that Tetris was already posted on this page must have been distracted by the Romo picture.... Go Cowboys!!

Picked up Monkey Island 1 & 2 for 99 cents each. Never played them (I know, I know) and I'm not really motivated to, but I figure if I'm bored and all I've got is my iPod, I'll finally play Monkey Island.

For all you RPG fans, Undercroft is now available as a FREE title (http://itunes.apple.com/app/undercroft/id388644935?mt=8).

"Can you survive?

Undercroft is a dazzling, epic adventure set in a fantasy world full of magic and monsters. With over 20 hours of addicting game play, dozens of quests and over 60 enemies to defeat. Download the complete game now for FREE!

• 6 epic chapters with over 20 hours of game play!
• Intricate plot with dozens of quests and plenty side quests to gather extra experience!
• Turn-based combat system suitable for well thought out strategic moves as well as for fast fluent attacks!
• 5 hero classes to choose from with a wide variety of skills and spells – Warrior, Mage, Priest, Summoner and Assassin.
• Battle your way through dark dungeons, a maze of forests and snowy mountains!
• More than 750 items and 60 enemies to defeat!"

I hope you guys don't mind me posting here, I don't think it's worth creating it's own topic for.

Anyway, my Indie team now has our first iPhone game out on the App Store.

It's a simple puzzle game called Circuit Swap where you slide around these battery blocks onto sockets to light up a city.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/circuit-swap/id391182967?mt=8

We are starting off with a 99 cent price point and plan to add more content. So if you wanna support a fellow CAG, check it out.

Tempted by Tetris, but I've yet to be impressed with anything in this genre on the iPhone. Either this game type doesn't lend itself well to touch controls, or I just haven't played a good version so far. I also don't like buying the big studio releases since they rarely if ever update (looks like it's been almost a year since this app saw an update). That said, anyone with this app recommend it, or have comments on the controls?

[quote name='soyverde']Tempted by Tetris, but I've yet to be impressed with anything in this genre on the iPhone. Either this game type doesn't lend itself well to touch controls, or I just haven't played a good version so far. I also don't like buying the big studio releases since they rarely if ever update (looks like it's been almost a year since this app saw an update). That said, anyone with this app recommend it, or have comments on the controls?[/QUOTE]
I played a demo of it in an Apple Store a long time ago. The controls weren't as tight as they need to be to play any high level of the game (duh)

Was there ever a non-Special Edition version of The Secret of Monkey Island released for the iPhone? I know I have TSMI, but I recently took it off my device to free up some space (along with a lot of other big apps). The reason I ask is because the app shows up as available for .99 instead of "installed" when I look at the title in the App Store on my device. Even when I've removed games from my iTouch, they still show up as "installed" when I look them up in the App Store. Very curious . . .

[quote name='outphase']I played a demo of it in an Apple Store a long time ago. The controls weren't as tight as they need to be to play any high level of the game (duh)[/QUOTE]

Thanks, that's about what I'd expect, in which case I probably won't bother (have way too many apps anyway).

@Dimsdale: If you still have a copy in iTunes you should be able to update it to the latest version, which would include any name changes. I just checked the app store for something I removed yesterday, and it's not showing up as installed for me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back